New Mercury to be called Tracer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I like "Tracer" I would have prefered "Mystique" or "Messenger." I'm just glad they didn't come up with an alpha-numeric name or some other silly thing. "Tracer" is a good name.

Y'know, Mercury would be in much better shape if they had had a version of the Focus and Escape from the begining (2000 & 2001). FoMoCo lost tens of thousands of sales a year at least because of their absence. I always thought it was foolish to launch the 1999 Cougar and then not follow up with a companion lower-priced/younger model in Mercury's lineup. Perhaps the Cougar Experiment would have had more success if it had another cool small/inexpensive car in Mercury Showrooms.

The people who think it should be called the Mystique probably also think iPad was a great name for Apple's tablet...

Yes. The best headline I saw on introduction from the Washington Post was "Will the IPad Have Wings?"

Everyone, and I mean everyone, called the Mystique "mistake". Bad, bad, name.

You never know what' s going to happen with names. Ford at one time was looking at Cirrus which I thought was a great name with thoughts of high whispy clouds. But the negative comments were that people might say "circus". Chrysler took the name, and I never heard anyone call the Cirrus "circus".

Tracer is fine. I bought one of the Hermosillo CT18's used, and that car just refused to die even through a couple of high school aged kids doing who-knows-what.

I'm not so sure how much differentiation we can expect from the Mercury. I'm going to guess "typical" Mercury differentiation and let myself be surprised if it is anything more. I certainly do not expect a unique sheetmetal set. I think this action is more about putting a missing small car in the LM dealerships that remain.

You never know what' s going to happen with names. Ford at one time was looking at Cirrus which I thought was a great name with thoughts of high whispy clouds. But the negative comments were that people might say "circus". Chrysler took the name, and I never heard anyone call the Cirrus "circus".

I always liked the cloud-car names, personally.

I don't think it should be called Mystique. I just like it more than I like Tracer. Tracer just sounds very 80's. And for the record, I think iPad is a dumb name also.

Needless to say, it was directed at the people who HAVE said that it should be named Mystique, of which there are a surprising few (including at least one person in this thread).

...I'm not so sure how much differentiation we can expect from the Mercury. I'm going to guess "typical" Mercury differentiation and let myself be surprised...
me too

(except there are legitimate questions re: "typical" - see below)

other than constant dwelling and ruminating and fixating and occasionally chopping

no wonder I'm tired all the time

...As far as how "different" it will be, Wescoent reported that it will have new front and rear ends, and different interior trims, Much like the Milan/Fusion and Mariner/Escape conversions.
but the Mariner has MUCH Less differentiation (tho still very effective imho)

than the current Milan or last Sable for that matter

which are/were all unique sheetmetal from the doors forward - including different headlites

Since the new Focus is absolutely FrEaKiNg gorgeous imho

I honestly can't care much if the tRACER is a rebadge

altho

-- fear what that might MEAN for Merc's longer term Plans

-- have NO official REASON to believe the tRACER IS based on the Focus and not one of the C-Maxeses

Edited by 2b2

I used to have a blue 84 Tempo...man that thing was a nightmare... The screws in the interior kept falling out. The fabric on the roof was falling off. The plastic retainer in the driver side seatbelt buckle rotted away and the whole thing fell apart. A/C burnt out, fan died, water pump destroyed, brakes mastercylinder died...

I had such good memories in that car though...good old college days :)

Anyone who looks back fondly at any American sedan built in the 1980's is in serious need of a psychological evaluation. :stirpot:

No better memory of a car than our 1988 Thunderbird Sport. Built 9/88 in Lorain, OH. 42,000 miles on it 22 years later. Can't bear to part with it, it is only taken out for special occasions to keep the miles down.

Tracer isn't too bad...

Reaching into the wayback machine, they could of called it...

Monterey (1950–1974, 2004–2007)

Villager (1999-2002)

Colony Park (1957–1991)

LN7 (1982–1983)

Lynx (1981–1987)

Zephyr (1978–1983)

Bobcat (1975–1980)

Monarch (1975–1980)

Comet (1960–1977)

Commuter (1957–1968)

Meteor (1961–1963)

Montclair (1955–1968)