CHP uses cv to stop runaway prius

blazerdude20

So they still say it's a problem with the pedal???? Not electronic!??

Wonder if this car had "the Fix".....?

Is the transmission gear shift connected via "linkage" to the transmission? OR, is it electronically controlled? If it is directly linked-why couldn't it be shifted in to neutral?

Is the transmission gear shift connected via "linkage" to the transmission? OR, is it electronically controlled? If it is directly linked-why couldn't it be shifted in to neutral?

toyota has an electronic over ride on the gearshift. so if you shift to N while at speed the cars computer assumes it was an accident and keeps it in drive. its actually a good thought since most of the times when it goes into neutral its caused by a bump from an arm. in hindsight it is a very bad idea.

as is having to hold the power button for over 3 secs to turn off the engine.

toyota has an electronic over ride on the gearshift. so if you shift to N while at speed the cars computer assumes it was an accident and keeps it in drive. its actually a good thought since most of the times when it goes into neutral its caused by a bump from an arm. in hindsight it is a very bad idea.

OK-so basically we have another owner of a car who has never cracked open the owners manual?

OK-so basically we have another owner of a car who has never cracked open the owners manual?

If it's anything like the Lexus ES, that information is buried well into the manual. It is not placed conspicuously near the front.

And let's be perfectly clear about this:

Turning off the car should not require reading the manual from cover to cover.

Toy seems screwed on this one. It took a serious grade upward,

normal brakes burning up, and the emerg brake to get it to slowed to 50!!

What is odd though is the guy did finally turn it off?

Why didn't he get near a shoulder and then shut it off, even

if he was doing 90+??

Anyway, hindsite for a 60 year old dude with a car speeding out of control

is easy, so I have to cut anyone in that situation some slack.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Prius-with-stuck-accelerator-apf-86524522.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

You mean shifting to N neutral do not stop power to the wheels on Toyota? So, that family who died in the Lexus ES in the runaway last summer would not be saved even if the driver shifted to N?

OK, that is scary!

Then, if my Ford ever had that runaway experience, can I shift to N and be saved from the situation?

For some reason, this Prius guy seems to be a fake, to me!

Edited by LoveTaurus

"I gave them my recall notice and they handed it back and said I'm not on the recall list," Sikes said.

LINK

The CHP officer drove the patrol car in front of Sikes' Prius in case it would be needed to act as a brake. But that wasn't necessary and the two cars never touched while moving, Landeros said.

LINK

Wow, this is getting more and more interesting by the minute. I was just listening to NPR and it was their top news story.

Why didn't he just put in neutral? Does anyone know? Is the shifting mechanism controlled electronically?

poor CV

rundown: prius going 90mph calls chp, they eventualy stop the prius by putting a crownvic in front of it and braking to a stop.

Just read some comments following the news in the link. Some people stupidly believed that the guy was just speeding and claimed the runaway to aviod speed ticket. Who could risk their life just to avoid 100 bucks tickets. Toyota did very good job on brainwash

If it's anything like the Lexus ES, that information is buried well into the manual. It is not placed conspicuously near the front.

And let's be perfectly clear about this:

Turning off the car should not require reading the manual from cover to cover.

I would agree with you in the "old days". (When one used a key). If it's a button, one has to be informed on how to use this new feature. Should you be able to "tap" the button to turn off the car? I don't know. It seems just being able to "tap" the button could lead to turning the car off when not meaning too........

And owners need to start reading the manual...regardless of which brand of car they own. It seems like they read for "important things" like learning the nav systems and how to program the radio/Ipod/XM system!

Oh well...priorities!

Just read some comments following the news in the link. Some people stupidly believed that the guy was just speeding and claimed the runaway to aviod speed ticket. Who could risk their life just to avoid 100 bucks tickets. Toyota did very good job on brainwash

Yup, he called 911 to report himself for speeding. Those Toyota loyalists are so dang smart and honest.

Yup, he called 911 to report himself for speeding. Those Toyota loyalists are so dang smart and honest.

The police reported "The Highway patrol officer says he could see the brake lights of the Prius were on and he could smell the brakes as he approached the car after it stopped. "

Wow, this is getting more and more interesting by the minute. I was just listening to NPR and it was their top news story.

Why didn't he just put in neutral? Does anyone know? Is the shifting mechanism controlled electronically?

seems a LOT of people are COMPLETELY missing the point...should he even HAVE to shift into neutral....FACT, theres a PROBLEM, people react DIFFERENTLY in strefful, let alone panic situations, does NOT reading the manual, or knowing certain proceedures give Toyota a hall pass???? Absolutely not, there is a problem, and the first thing that should happen, especially in cases like this, is this vehicle should be commandered, the black box removed, and the Feds to be witness to its "information" being downloaded.....

• Like 1

Good for the Crown Vic, but I'm sure if this incident happened in 1978. Baker and Poncherello would have stopped them with those two Kawasaki motorcycles!

Funny you say that:

There WAS an epsiode of "CHiPs" where Barricza stops a runaway 18 wheeler using his 1974 Dodge Monaco by pulling in front of it and braking hard.