6.7 power increase

Competition makes good vehicles, better :-) Its good they are being progressive early on, than waiting a year...they just have to advertise once they do increase it, that they are tops in that regard. I did kinda find it unusual that the GM 6.6L is out powering the new Ford 6.7L, with the GM unit being a touch smaller...

I've seen the power curves, this engine has a virtually flat torque curve. It makes 735lb-ft at 1600rpm and 732lb-ft at 2800rpm, that doesn't happen on accident. I think Ford can dial up the power at will, and they may have been sand bagging it to see what GM would do.

Umm. That's still the current way. 2011 Mustang anyone?

Not exactly. New Fiesta gets new 1.6L. New Explorer gets new 2.0 EB.

I think they're simply putting out the new designs and new engines whenever they're ready - in some cases that's immediately and in some cases the engines are a year behind. I don't think it's a rule.

Not exactly. New Fiesta gets new 1.6L. New Explorer gets new 2.0 EB.

I think they're simply putting out the new designs and new engines whenever they're ready - in some cases that's immediately and in some cases the engines are a year behind. I don't think it's a rule.

Exactly my point. We'll continued to see staggered vehicle/powertrain launches whenever it makes sense to do so. Launching the new Powerstroke and redesigned Super Duty is more coincidental than intentional.

I've seen the power curves, this engine has a virtually flat torque curve. It makes 735lb-ft at 1600rpm and 732lb-ft at 2800rpm, that doesn't happen on accident. I think Ford can dial up the power at will, and they may have been sand bagging it to see what GM would do.

shhhh, engine at 390 is loping BIG time, its potential is HUGE if neccessary....BIG numbers are but a flash away...BIG numbers as intotal OVERKILL....

Umm. That's still the current way. 2011 Mustang anyone?

Exactly my point. We'll continued to see staggered vehicle/powertrain launches whenever it makes sense to do so. Launching the new Powerstroke and redesigned Super Duty is more coincidental than intentional.

See also the Taurus & MKT + EcoBoost.

Since Ford divorced engine/transmissions from platforms, this has been the norm---new powertrains -with- new models occasionally and -between- new models occasionally. The benefit is that Ford's budgeting process now allows more money to be spent on mid cycle upgrades.

(previously, a platform program had to amortize 100% of the cost of a new transmission or engine, regardless of where that engine/transmission was ultimately used--best example: the Contour/Mystique + transmission + Zetec engine)

So possibly a Job 2 addition to the Explorer? After all, I don't expect the Explorer to launch before the 2011 Edge.

Um I was under the impression that the Explorer would get the 2L Ecoboost and then the Edge would get it...

Ah I guess not:

Directly from the Ford press release:

All-new powertrain lineup includes North America’s first application of Ford’s global 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine, delivering class-leading fuel economy,

This is getting stupid. The new diesels have power far in excess of what the chassis and brakes in these trucks are capable of handling. It is scary for me to think (and I have been around heavy trucks and buses most of my adult life) of some knuclehead towing 30,000#'s with his pickup. It is now possible, and the type of idiot that would do something like that typically couldn't handle it even if he was driving a heavy truck with air brakes and sufficient GCW. That having been said, I do think it is important that Ford have the highest ratings with the 6.7L Powerstroke. Of course, GM will have a new 6.9L Duramax in a couple of years.......

This is getting stupid. The new diesels have power far in excess of what the chassis and brakes in these trucks are capable of handling. It is scary for me to think (and I have been around heavy trucks and buses most of my adult life) of some knuclehead towing 30,000#'s with his pickup. It is now possible, and the type of idiot that would do something like that typically couldn't handle it even if he was driving a heavy truck with air brakes and sufficient GCW. That having been said, I do think it is important that Ford have the highest ratings with the 6.7L Powerstroke. Of course, GM will have a new 6.9L Duramax in a couple of years.......

I love power, which is why I hate that I agree with you. 390hp and 735lb-ft is a huge amount of power, it might be more to Ford's advantage to put the effort into reducing the running costs of the truck.