Transit Connect approved for taxi use in Boston

Well, I read the story and viewed the video clip with it. The video clip is useless, save your time unlea you like to watch a taxi driving around.

This is a good thing. Now Ford has has a fuel efficient offering in this segment - really before the other major players. And it is based on a platform that has other uses with decent volume. CNG and propane are a plus, since some fleets already use these fuels. My big question is - is there a hybrid on the horizon?

Well, I read the story and viewed the video clip with it. The video clip is useless, save your time unlea you like to watch a taxi driving around.

This is a good thing. Now Ford has has a fuel efficient offering in this segment - really before the other major players. And it is based on a platform that has other uses with decent volume. CNG and propane are a plus, since some fleets already use these fuels. My big question is - is there a hybrid on the horizon?

Could be, there's the electric version too, but range will likely limit it's use as a taxi.

As rmc mentions, the BEV is on the horizon. Range is around 80 miles I think, but would be less in Boston's cold climate. Price will likely be an issue also -- my guess would be around $40-50,000. Ford's volume projections are very low

The rest of this is my speculation:

1. With the introduction of the C2 Focus in the Fall, the TC platform will be two generations old. The powertrains also really need to be upgraded.

2. If Ford sees enough volume in the U.S. for TC, they will certainly consider making it here (maybe that decision is already made).

3. Louisville will begin conversion to C2 for production of Kuga/Escape, including export to Europe. A new TC likely would fit nicely into Louisville as the dip tanks/paint system is probably large enough to handle.

4. Ford is developing a new hybrid system for the C2, including both HEV and PHEV. New transmission (Van Dyke), and lithium ion battery packs from Michigan. My assumption is the prime target is the Grand C-Max, but this system also will have to be packaged into the new Escape/Kuga. So that means it also likely would be packaged into the TC. That gives the customers a wide range of choices from gas, HEV, PHEV, and BEV.

At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

Obviously, the Escape Hybrid is already in use as a taxi.

Hardly understand the "nail in the coffin part". How do you drive a nail in the coffin of a vehicle that is already scheduled to end production??? In fact, the man in the article says clearly they are trying to find a replacement by the time the Panther goes out of production. If the Panther was so bad, they could have approve any number of vehicles to replace it long ago.

Other than (perhaps) the need to meet certain accessibility requirements for the disabled, what difference does it make that a city must "approve" a vehicle for use as a taxi?

Perhaps safety? And these days, especially in big cities like that, fuel economy standards.

Hardly understand the "nail in the coffin part". How do you drive a nail in the coffin of a vehicle that is already scheduled to end production??? In fact, the man in the article says clearly they are trying to find a replacement by the time the Panther goes out of production. If the Panther was so bad, they could have approve any number of vehicles to replace it long ago.

You're right....that lid is firmly nailed shut....don't need any more nails for that one....

"With the introduction of the C2 Focus in the fall..." Huh? C2 is on the way out, the 2012 Focus will be the C346.

Anyway, the Panther's final year starts in a few months and the long funeral will commence.

The current Euro Focus chassis is still C1. C346 may be the program code but the chassis code will likely be C2.

As rmc mentions, the BEV is on the horizon. Range is around 80 miles I think, but would be less in Boston's cold climate. Price will likely be an issue also -- my guess would be around $40-50,000. Ford's volume projections are very low

The rest of this is my speculation:

1. With the introduction of the C2 Focus in the Fall, the TC platform will be two generations old. The powertrains also really need to be upgraded.

2. If Ford sees enough volume in the U.S. for TC, they will certainly consider making it here (maybe that decision is already made).

3. Louisville will begin conversion to C2 for production of Kuga/Escape, including export to Europe. A new TC likely would fit nicely into Louisville as the dip tanks/paint system is probably large enough to handle.

4. Ford is developing a new hybrid system for the C2, including both HEV and PHEV. New transmission (Van Dyke), and lithium ion battery packs from Michigan. My assumption is the prime target is the Grand C-Max, but this system also will have to be packaged into the new Escape/Kuga. So that means it also likely would be packaged into the TC. That gives the customers a wide range of choices from gas, HEV, PHEV, and BEV.

At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

I think it makes sense to update TC using C2 architectural once we are into C2 mid cycle update. Under normal circumstance, I think we would have seen TC updated with C1 platform once C2 starts coming online in Europe. However, with US market in the mix, updating TC with outgoing C1 platform doesn't make much sense so C2 based replacement is probably the way Ford will go.

Yes indeed. Gasoline is cheap in that part of the world, and the roads are ghastly. The tovariches will love 'em. :)

I always thought it would show up in China as the Crowenn Wictovita or some other spin on the name....unless they go full out Chinese on it and call it the "Leaping Stag Panther Imperialist SHOW"

I always thought it would show up in China as the Crowenn Wictovita or some other spin on the name....unless they go full out Chinese on it and call it the "Leaping Stag Panther Imperialist SHOW"

Leaping Stag Panther Imperialist SHOW is an awesome name. :hysterical:

I guess car names are another thing that doesn't translate well from English to Chinese