fusion 2.5 get selectshift

anyone else notice in the 2011 order guide, posted by ice-capades, that for 2011 you can now get the 4cyl with a thumb switch on the shifter (select shift). the 3.0l also uses a thumb switch instead of an h-gate.

they also added auto headlights to the se and rain sensing wipers as an option.

nice to see ford is continuing to improve their vehicles every year. :hyper:

edit: oohhhh, they also added a remote window open feature!

Edited by blazerdude20

I found it odd that for the '03, they removed the rain sensing wipers. Not that I cared much for it in my 00 LS because it would freak me out if I was pass by a sptrinkler and WHAM it would activate... I do like the global window opening to air out a car before I enter it.

I found it odd that for the '03, they removed the rain sensing wipers. Not that I cared much for it in my 00 LS because it would freak me out if I was pass by a sptrinkler and WHAM it would activate... I do like the global window opening to air out a car before I enter it.

I loved the rain sensing wipers. If you passed by a sprinkler and it put water on the windshield then you NEED the wipers. They were great when you would get a huge spray from a passing truck that absolutely flooded the windshield obscuring vision. You didn't have to fumble for the wipers in an emergency situation.

I believe they removed the wipers because of warranty complaints that they were not working correctly. At least that was the story. I'm sure it was also a bit of cost cutting.

Nice to see the new Ford stepping up and putting these features back in.

I loved the rain sensing wipers. If you passed by a sprinkler and it put water on the windshield then you NEED the wipers. They were great when you would get a huge spray from a passing truck that absolutely flooded the windshield obscuring vision. You didn't have to fumble for the wipers in an emergency situation.

I believe they removed the wipers because of warranty complaints that they were not working correctly. At least that was the story. I'm sure it was also a bit of cost cutting.

I like the rain sensing wipers as well. However, they do act a bit squirrely sometime. Mine will sometimes just come on when there's no water on the windshield.

I like the rain sensing wipers as well. However, they do act a bit squirrely sometime. Mine will sometimes just come on when there's no water on the windshield.

Do you use Rain-X? Mine would sometimes not activate in a light mist but never had them activate unnecessarily.

maybe thats why they removed them from production? the warranty costs could have been very high.

i realize that this tech isnt "new" but what other midsize sedan has rain sensing wipers?

“You didn't have to fumble for the wipers.."

Since when has a basic driving skill, like turing on wipers and headlights when necessary become the act of "fumbling"? I guess it is because drivers now consider operating a cell phone and IPod while driving a new skill, when fundamentals have fallen by the wayside. I understand that certain "luxury" cars want to offer features that dis-engage drivers from actually operating the car in the name of "innovation", but I think I am ok with just switching things on and off as necessary. It is my belief that if the car does too much of the work, there will be certain drivers that just get more complacent behind the wheel, or worse yet – engage in other distracting activities.

The only time I ever fumbled for the wipers, was the first time I drove in Australia, where - of course- driving lanes and control stalks are the opposite of what they are here. My first time out, when making a turn, I went to signal and ended up with activating the wipers. But, being a person of at least average intelligence, I was able to adapt in a few sequences.

Edited by Kev-Mo

“You didn't have to fumble for the wipers.."

Since when has a basic driving skill, like turing on wipers and headlights when necessary become the act of "fumbling"? I guess it is because drivers now consider operating a cell phone and IPod while driving a new skill, when fundamentals have fallen by the wayside. I understand that certain "luxury" cars want to offer features that dis-engage drivers from actually operating the car in the name of "innovation", but I think I am ok with just switching things on and off as necessary. It is my belief that if the car does too much of the work, there will be certain drivers that just get more complacent behind the wheel, or worse yet – engage in other distracting activities.

The only time I ever fumbled for the wipers, was the first time I drove in Australia, where - of course- driving lanes and control stalks are the opposite of what they are here. My first time out, when making a turn, I went to signal and ended up with activating the wipers. But, being a person of at least average intelligence, I was able to adapt in a few sequences.

I'm talking about a semi truck dumping 10 gallons of water on your windshield in a few tenths of a second. It's happened to me a couple of times and it's pretty scary. The rain sensing wipers activated immediately without me even having to reach for the control to turn them on. It gives you a 1-2 second advantage and if you're going 60-70 mph without being able to see anything that 1 or 2 second head start to clearing the windshield is appreciated.

I'm sure you have conveniences that you couldn't live without that other people would find extraneous. It's all relative. Like George Carlin said - anyone driving faster than me is a maniac and anyone driving slower is an idiot.

I'm talking about a semi truck dumping 10 gallons of water on your windshield in a few tenths of a second. It's happened to me a couple of times and it's pretty scary. The rain sensing wipers activated immediately without me even having to reach for the control to turn them on. It gives you a 1-2 second advantage and if you're going 60-70 mph without being able to see anything that 1 or 2 second head start to clearing the windshield is appreciated.

Now if people actually had a concept of "Following Distance" these days, that wouldn't be an issue. My belief is that at any point in time you should be able to close your eyes for 3 seconds without worry.

That said, I can hit my wipers in less than half a second.

+1

It can be scary and sometimes startling when your windshield is clear than all of the sudden, BAM!, a semi goes by and splatters your windshield. All visibility is lost. An automatic system in this case is quicker than a human. It is also extremely annoying when you are driving along and the rain goes from a light sprinkle to a sudden downpour, then may stop or start to mist. I'm always messing with the interval wipers to adjust for these inconsistant rainfalls, which is simply a pain.

Back to the Select-shift, does anyone know where the thumb switch is located? I assume on the shifter handle, but maybe it will be on the steering wheel.

Do any other manufacturers use this type of select shift interface? I find using a tiny button a bit odd and really does not engage the driver as much as "shifting" the gear selector, a la zig-zag gated shifts. Not that I care, I prefer a manual but every time I use an auto with select shift I just let the car do the thinking because it doesn't seem worth while.

I'm sure you have conveniences that you couldn't live without that other people would find extraneous. It's all relative. Like George Carlin said - anyone driving faster than me is a maniac and anyone driving slower is an idiot.

Please - this is not a personal thing -about anyone in particular. I just believe that dis-engaging drivers from the operation of thier vehicles will - over time- make for overall less skilled drivers .

And yes, you are correct. To each their own: The one option I absolutely cannot live without is the keypad entry found only on Fords! I must be the vast minority on this becasue no other car maker even offers it..

Do any other manufacturers use this type of select shift interface? I find using a tiny button a bit odd and really does not engage the driver as much as "shifting" the gear selector, a la zig-zag gated shifts. Not that I care, I prefer a manual but every time I use an auto with select shift I just let the car do the thinking because it doesn't seem worth while.

GM does...

I know it doesn't matter. But Rain sense wipers were removed from the LS in 2005. They were used on 00-04. Actually, 03-04 models had more equipment than any LS years. IE... Nav, Auto wipers, park aid, side curtain, rear heated seats. They started to decontent them in 2005. I think even in 04 the highend chrome wheels were not as polished between spokes as 03 was. Same thing goes for Town Car. 03 had more features and some have since been removed. Just a little bit of useless info.

But 06 did get the nice lower ground effects like the LSE

Edited by fordtech1

+1

It can be scary and sometimes startling when your windshield is clear than all of the sudden, BAM!, a semi goes by and splatters your windshield. All visibility is lost. An automatic system in this case is quicker than a human. It is also extremely annoying when you are driving along and the rain goes from a light sprinkle to a sudden downpour, then may stop or start to mist. I'm always messing with the interval wipers to adjust for these inconsistant rainfalls, which is simply a pain.

I just imagine that it would drive me crazy, engaging a little too soon or shutting off too late for my preference. It's an option I would probably leave off most of the time.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know which versions of the 2.5 Fusion actually get the SelectShift feature? I've looked all over Ford's site and cannot find mention of it other than it's "optional" on the 2.5

Packages 14X (Monochrome Appearance) or 14C (Appearance) must be specified on SE and SEL models in order to get SelectShift with the 2.5L engine. From the order guide:

Monochrome Appearance Package/Appearance Package

• Package available in: Tuxedo Black, Sport Blue Metallic, Sterling

Gray Metallic, Red Candy Metallic Tinted Clearcoat exterior colors

with Charcoal Black interior only

• Body-Colored Grille (14X only)

• 18" Machined-Aluminum wheels with painted pockets

• P225/45R18 V-rated performance tires

• Sport-tuned suspension

• Rear spoiler

• Unique finish on IP Spears and Center-Stack

• Unique cloth seat and door-trim inserts

• Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob

Note: 2.5L Engines with 6-Speed Automatic Transmission include the SelectShift

Automatic™ Transmission Feature (Thumb Switch)

Edited by aneekr