New Explorer Partially Uncovered

Hmmm, looks much better without the funky tail-lights...but then again it also looks less distinctive.

I like the body, just not the bits at the front. The Taurus vibe is pretty interesting, very North American Ford I think.

I wish they would've showed the whole back with the hatch closed from a distance, but I suppose we'll take what we can get LOL.

To the guy playing with the center console lid - that's the same console from the Flex......it opens from the rear, that's why it didn't open from the front! I mean really, is it that difficult to figure out how to open that thing?

EDIT: I was a bit too harsh on the guy, so I changed some wording.

Edited by rmc523

I wish they would've showed the whole back with the hatch closed from a distance, but I suppose we'll take what we can get LOL.

And whoever was playing with the center console there is an idiot - that's the same console from the Flex......it opens from the rear, that's why it didn't open genius! I mean really, is it that difficult to figure out how to open that thing?

That's kind of harsh considering most consoles open from the front. I didn't know the Flex console worked that way until I remembered a demo video from way back. The whole thing looks staged anyway with Fords permission. On the other hand perhaps it was done when Ford reps were not looking and yeah, the dude's pretty dull.

Some one here (OFW?) saw the taillight set alone and said it looks good. I'm getting used to the C pillar rake. I was hoping for a more vertical setup but the blacked window pillars are from the concept and they look good.

That's kind of harsh considering most consoles open from the front. I didn't know the Flex console worked that way until I remembered a demo video from way back. The whole thing looks staged anyway with Fords permission. On the other hand perhaps it was done when Ford reps were not looking and yeah, the dude's pretty dull.

Some one here (OFW?) saw the taillight set alone and said it looks good. I'm getting used to the C pillar rake. I was hoping for a more vertical setup but the blacked window pillars are from the concept and they look good.

The tail lights do look very good on the final Explorer. I did not expect the shape. They kinda flair out at the top. Overall I was very happy with it. Ride height is good to. Not too low.

Yeah, I was a bit harsh, but still....it's not that difficult to look more thoroughly for a console handle. The Flex's console opens that way to create a completely flat floor when all the seats are down, so I assume it's the same setup here. And yes, I do believe that unit WAS the refrigerator, because of the vents on the lower portion of the console.

Very glad to see all of the curves in the sheet metal around the fender, bumper, and rear glass. Those are details that all of the chops have missed so far, which lended to it having a more Freestyle-looking back end than it will actually have. I'm psyched! :hyper:

Very glad to see all of the curves in the sheet metal around the fender, bumper, and rear glass. Those are details that all of the chops have missed so far, which lended to it having a more Freestyle-looking back end than it will actually have. I'm psyched! :hyper:

I saw the final unit in Detroit at the delaer show. If only for about 60 seconds. Anyway it has zero Freestyle/Taurus X vibe. It is WAY HOT! I will be among the first in line to replace the wife Taurus X. They say the inside is knocked out. We were not able to get close to it. It was on stage. Cant wait..... :happy feet:

Edited by stevea26

Yeah, I was a bit harsh, but still....it's not that difficult to look more thoroughly for a console handle. The Flex's console opens that way to create a completely flat floor when all the seats are down, so I assume it's the same setup here. And yes, I do believe that unit WAS the refrigerator, because of the vents on the lower portion of the console.

It also opens that way for third row passengers to have access to the fridge without having to unlatch their seatbelt and reach over the second row to get in there. Pretty smart if you ask me.

IIRC the non-fridge console opens from the front, no?

It also opens that way for third row passengers to have access to the fridge without having to unlatch their seatbelt and reach over the second row to get in there. Pretty smart if you ask me.

Good points all around. That does make sense. Now....WHEN? I can't stand it any longer. When is it been released? I have to book my test drives this summer and I got a Edge, Fiesta and V6 and v8 Mustangs. It would be great to add Explorer.

The aviator console also opened from the rear, which allowed the top of the lid to be used as cupholders and to allow the seats to go flat. No fridge involved.

Although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ford borrowed heavily from the Freestyle under the skin. Probably saved a ton of money by using the Freestyle's safety cage.

From that angle, none of the dimenions look right for it. Might have used the same design concepts for the cage, but I doubt it actually shares any stampings.

From that angle, none of the dimenions look right for it. Might have used the same design concepts for the cage, but I doubt it actually shares any stampings.

It might share the stampings and the hydroform molds for the cage though.

2011-explorer-display.jpg

2008-ford-taurus-x_mc_001-5927.jpg

The D pillar is clearly different, but as I said, I suspect you'll find the B and C pillar stampings 'behind the doors' to be quite similar, although the skin is totally different.