Is it time to drop the Mark? (MkZ, MkX, MkS, MkT)

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to rebrand Lincoln models?

• Yes
    • Mk_No!

fact is the designations are all completely forgettable...lincoln should have REAL names not designations....how can one turn their back on classics such as Continental etc....

The names Mark and Continental need to come back, not just some silly letter connoting it. There is no risk changing again since Lincoln sales have no traction anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here

I was thinking Constellation sounds nice with Continental

dont' believe Aviator could be re-used while its MKX descendant's alive

I presented the idea of the Lincoln Cosmopolitan (this being a SWB model) a while back:

cosmopolitan7.jpg

I don't get the confusion. Lincoln makes a MarK X, Z, T and S.

There, now..... is that so difficult?

I understand the confusion - with only the X,T,Z, and S differentiating the names, and with a difficult-to-discern naming pattern at best (as opposed to a 3-series=small, 5-series=middle, 7-series=large pattern), it's easy to sometimes mix up the letters - heck, even I do occasionally. You, everybody here, and I understand where it comes from, but the general public I'm sure does not.

That's why you need a number. Mark 4X sounds much better than Mark X. Mark 6 sounds better that Mark Z.

Unless Mark X really stands for Mark Ten (roman numeral), like the concept of 2004.....shades.gif

Edited by rmc523

I presented the idea of the Lincoln Cosmopolitan (this being a SWB model) a while back:

cosmopolitan7.jpg

I understand the confusion - with only the X,T,Z, and S differentiating the names, and with a difficult-to-discern naming pattern at best (as opposed to a 3-series=small, 5-series=middle, 7-series=large pattern), it's easy to sometimes mix up the letters - heck, even I do occasionally. You, everybody here, and I understand where it comes from, but the general public I'm sure does not.

Unless Mark X really stands for Mark Ten (roman numeral), like the concept of 2004.....shades.gif

I love the name Cosmopolitan. I would love to see that name come back and put on a Lincoln model.

I'm an old guy. I prefer real names over letters and numbers. Much easier to remember also as you age. I prefer the name Zephyr over MKZ. I say bring Milan and/or Sable name back and give it to Lincoln. Those two names certainly convey luxury and class. They don't convey cheapness, that is for sure.

can they also

- 'update' the split-wing into a solid waterfall?

- create a new logo - maybe with 3 bent lines, maybe with a god's head?

- spell Lincoln: "M" "E" "R" "C" "U" "R" "Y"

;)

How's about the Continental sedan and TransContinental Wagon?

where's the picture, BlackManta?? I've always *loved* that chop!!!

Edited by 2b2

I think FoMoCo needs to start a clean slate with all new cars they add from today forward. Dragging some of these old names back just seems like "oops we made a mistake. We're bringing this car or that car back".

New cars, new ideas. They need to convey that image if they are going to sell these cars in larger volumes than today.

I'm working on a new one. Will have them side-by-side for your interest, soon.

can they also

- 'update' the split-wing into a solid waterfall?

- create a new logo - maybe with 3 bent lines, maybe with a god's head?

- spell Lincoln: "M" "E" "R" "C" "U" "R" "Y"

;)

where's the picture, BlackManta?? I've always *loved* that chop!!!

I don't know they could just stick with the MK... branding on the vehicles BUT refer to them as Mark...(sedan, zephyr, etc.). But then again that could create even more confusion.

"Whaaat? It says MKS on the back why did he just call it a Mark Sedan? Who's Mark?! Is this someone I should know about?!!"

I don't know they could just stick with the MK... branding on the vehicles BUT refer to them as Mark...(sedan, zephyr, etc.). But then again that could create even more confusion.

"Whaaat? It says MKS on the back why did he just call it a Mark Sedan? Who's Mark?! Is this someone I should know about?!!"

That was the original intent, but Ford quickly realized people were never going to go for it. Like someone said, they should have reconsidered at that point.

Not all Fords start with the letter F, so not all Lincolns need to start with MK_.

I think Lincoln needs to be sold globally and there is logic in using letters and numbers instead of English names when selling globally.

The Navigator should stay Navigator, not become a MK-N. I do think the names should be more descriptive of the product. Not just a letter. The MK-S could become the MK-S35 EB or MK-S37.

Not all Fords start with the letter F, so not all Lincolns need to start with MK_.

I think Lincoln needs to be sold globally and there is logic in using letters and numbers instead of English names when selling globally.

The Navigator should stay Navigator, not become a MK-N. I do think the names should be more descriptive of the product. Not just a letter. The MK-S could become the MK-S35 EB or MK-S37.

Hey battyr, I fixed it for you in Lincoln/Southpark style. MKay

Not all Fords start with the letter F. MKay

So not all Lincolns need to start with MK_. Mkay

I think Lincoln needs to be sold globally. Mkay

There is logic in using letters and numbers instead of English names when selling globally. MKay

The Navigator should stay Navigator. MKay,

not become a MK-N. MKay

I do think the names should be more descriptive of the product. MKay

Not just a letter. MKay

The MK-S could become the MK-S35 EB or MK-S37. Mkay

imho

whether it's initials, a non-name like Mark, or something else;

if it's the SAME on every vehicle, IT"S TOTALLY SUPERFLUOUS

& besides

there's already a name that's the same on every one of them:

L I N C O L N

that said ^

imho it'll look really really stupid** and wishy-washy to change the nomenclature before there's product that DESERVES a change

** imho, almost as STUPID as "They" look for murdering MERCURY...

Edited by 2b2

& besides

there's already a name that's the same on every one of them:

L I N C O L N

that said ^

imho it'll look really really stupid** and wishy-washy to change the nomenclature before there's product that DESERVES a change

The most successful of the type of naming Lincoln was hoping for is, in my opinion Mazda (Though for some reason it's inconsistent).

It's a Mazda2, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6 (RX, MX, CX not withstanding).

I do agree re-changing names, you have to start with a worthy Continental, which is not the MCE of the MkS.

Edited by sullynd

New cars, new ideas. They need to convey that image if they are going to sell these cars in larger volumes than today.

I see what you mean 92merc, but every 4-5 years a new name? And we thought MK was confusing!

Two random people discussing referrals to new cars "The Ford Focus, sorry, I mean Ford ___. Nope, damn it! I meant the newest one - the ___ is quite a good car..." (If you can make sense of what I mean)

As for new Lincoln names? Well I think the traditional name makes sense (ie: Continental). But I think a theme would add brand recognition which is vital for business.

Edited by Aussie_Ford

Here is an idea to distinguish the "regular" Lincoln MK <insert model letter here> from the anticipated higher performance (SVT-esque) versions...

MKZ becomes Lincoln LKZ

MKS becomes Lincoln LKS

MKX becomes Lincoln LKX

MKT becomes Lincoln LKT

...and so forth.

The new Lincoln "L" series ...higher performance, higher luxury, reach higher...always.

Edited by twintornados