Putting the Luxe Back in Lincoln

Gonna disagree with you big-time there. Remember that before the CTS came along and the Escalade (sorta) upped its game, Caddy's signature vehicle was this:

The Catera...the Caddy that Zigs!

I think the success of that car should have really told GM that rebadging Opels for NA consumption doesn't work!

Ah, MkX!!! That was the one I couldn't remember so I had to call it the MkEdge

Isn't this the problem with Lincoln's current naming strategy?

If a member of the Ford community can't remember can't remember the name of Lincoln's small SUV, how can we expect the general public to?

Isn't this the problem with Lincoln's current naming strategy?

If a member of the Ford community can't remember can't remember the name of Lincoln's small SUV, how can we expect the general public to?

Bad names, and even worse dealers that worse than used car dealers. My local dealer, is so run down, they had trash cans all around a MKS to catch the debris/ rain water, that was falling from a ceiling. The local Ford dealers are much better.

:rolleyes:

The vast majority of product development costs is in platform engineering. Lincoln is and will be utilizing global platforms on all of its products, negating the need to market themselves globally. I do see them headed that way eventually anyway, but it is certainly not necessary in order for them to compete with the biggest players in the U.S. market.

Yes, all we have to do to compete with BMW and Mercedes is put more leather and chrome on front wheel drive Fords and we got them beat. Perfect plan.

It'll be interesting to see what this new "C" platform Lincoln (ex-to be Mercury_ product) will bring to the Lincoln brand. I would hope that it's something revolutionary for the brand... I'm thinking of a Volvo S40-like vehicle..not sure how consumers will take that.

Why can't Ford position Lincoln against BMW or Merc better? They have arguably better tech than both...So what the hell? How does a stretched Lincoln MKS sound w/std AWD and a higher output ECOBOOST.

Just take a look at Cadillac... several Billions down the drain and not much to show for it. The only car that gets alot of praise is the CTS..and thats mostly the CTS-V model

Anyways, I had something dawn on me the other day, after watching a movie...I was watching From Paris with Love (with John Travolta....actually wasn't too bad of an action flik)...that one of the things Lincoln should look at doing to improve its image, is to put its products into "cool" movies...only reason I say this is that it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some form of Audi in the movie (the movie I watched had one)

I'm not a brand maker, and I'm not sure what or where Lincoln would like to go, but having your products in a movie (besides Limos) would at least get the word out that Lincoln actually makes cars that aren't for blue hair set.

Maybe they can work out a supporting role for Lincoln in the next James Bond movie, though I think Jag's/AM excusity rights ended with the last movie.

I know that Cadillac has managed to successfully re-image themselves to a certain degree but I'm not sure that Lincoln can. I still think that the best thing Ford could do with Lincoln is shut it down and come out with an entirely new luxury brand under a different name.

That's the kind of philosophy that led to getting rid of the Taurus name.

Anyways, I had something dawn on me the other day, after watching a movie...I was watching From Paris with Love (with John Travolta....actually wasn't too bad of an action flik)...that one of the things Lincoln should look at doing to improve its image, is to put its products into "cool" movies...only reason I say this is that it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some form of Audi in the movie (the movie I watched had one)

I'm not a brand maker, and I'm not sure what or where Lincoln would like to go, but having your products in a movie (besides Limos) would at least get the word out that Lincoln actually makes cars that aren't for blue hair set.

Maybe they can work out a supporting role for Lincoln in the next James Bond movie, though I think Jag's/AM excusity rights ended with the last movie.

Yes, I completely agree with you on throwing some Lincolns into a "cool" movie. The MKS was actually in the Dark Night, but only for about 5 seconds (I've not seen the director's cut, but with all the spy shots we saw of the MKS on the streets/movie sets in Chicago, I feel as though it may've been slated for more air time than we got). I remember back in the early 2000s (I guess it was probably 2002-ish?), the Matrix first came out - the CTS and Escalade EXT (and probably the regular and ESV too) made their big screen debuts in that movie, and that helped create buzz for the products.

If Lincoln could produce an MKR that looked similar to the concept and put it in a "cool" movie - that'd most certainly help, I think.

And yes, the 3-movie contract Ford/AM/Jag had ended with Quantum of Solace, so I don't know what the new Bond car(s) will be.

If Lincoln could produce an MKR that looked similar to the concept and put it in a "cool" movie - that'd most certainly help, I think.

Unlike GM's Zeta, there is no need for Ford to throw the Falcon platform in the bin and start again.

Yes, all we have to do to compete with BMW and Mercedes is put more leather and chrome on front wheel drive Fords and we got them beat. Perfect plan.

Is that what I said? Wow. Thanks for clearing that up for me. No. Ford already does and will have RWD platforms to utilize in the future. :finger:

But yeah, there will also continue to be some FWD-based Lincolns. That FWD ES and RX seem to carry the burden over at Lexus just fine.

Edited by NickF1011

Is that what I said? Wow. Thanks for clearing that up for me. No. Ford already does and will have RWD platforms to utilize in the future. :finger:

But yeah, there will also continue to be some FWD-based Lincolns. That FWD ES and RX seem to carry the burden over at Lexus just fine.

The two highest volume models at Lexus are both based on platforms shared with Toyota, that's no secret. The reason those cars are so successful is the reputation and prestige that Lexus carries. If Lincoln keeps doing well in quality reports, their reputation will improve. That leaves prestige. Prestige is tricky. Some companies earn prestige from halo models (Mercedes Benz, Audi), some earn it from continued developments (BMW, Lexus). How Ford builds Lincoln's prestige is still a bit murky, but I think they have the right people in place to make Lincoln a success.

After the last Panther Town Car dies this year what rear wheel drive sedan platform does Lincoln have?

Your posts are dull, repetitive, irrelevant, prejudiced, and utterly and absolutely useless.

Then I shall post no more.

I'm not someone you can call "troll" I've owned Fords since before some of you were in second grade. I'd buy or recomend an F-Series, Taurus, Mustang, and others to anyone. I don't agree with some things Ford is doing like starving then killing Mercury, the direction Explorer is going the Transit Connect etc but overall I'm a Ford fan.

But ya'll will not engage in a discussion about FoMoCo unless it is in total agreement with every aspect of the company's actions... which is kind of sick. In the end it doesn't matter what I say or what you say we are just talking cars on a forum. Lately some around here are arrogant and self important, your opinions don't matter more than anyone else.

Anyway after several years here and 1,200 posts it's time to back off. Soon you will have only a few active members left so maybe ya'll will agree every time with each other! I'll still lurk around but promis to keep the posting very limited...happy Richard?

Ford #1

Edited by F250

Then I shall post no more.

I'm not someone you can call "troll" I've owned Fords since before some of you were in second grade. I'd buy or recomend an F-Series, Taurus, Mustang, and others to anyone. I don't agree with some things Ford is doing like starving then killing Mercury, the direction Explorer is going the Transit Connect etc but overall I'm a Ford fan.

But ya'll will not engage in a discussion about FoMoCo unless it is in total agreement with every aspect of the company's actions... which is kind of sick. In the end it doesn't matter what I say or what you say we are just talking cars on a forum. Lately some around here are arrogant and self important, your opinions don't matter more than anyone else.

Anyway after several years here and 1,200 posts it's time to back off. Soon you will have only a few active members left so maybe ya'll will agree every time with each other! I'll still lurk around but promis to keep the posting very limited...happy Richard?

Ford #1

Well said and couldn't agree with you more :reading: .

After the last Panther Town Car dies this year what rear wheel drive sedan platform does Lincoln have?

Aside from E8 Falcon, Ford have access to the DEW platform in steel and alloy versions

that were used in Jaguar XF and XJ respectively...

Either way, Ford could be about to make some pretty impressive vehicles for Lincoln..

F250, I for one will be sad to see you not posting as much in the future..:(

Edited by jpd80

ya'll will not engage in a discussion about FoMoCo unless it is in total agreement with every aspect of the company's actions... which is kind of sick.

In case you've missed it, there's a thread with over 500 posts on it regarding the IDIOCY of a compact Lincoln. Started by yours truly.

The issue isn't your opposition to certain actions by Ford, its your repetitive posts that never answer on point.