New Toyota Camry Commercial

There is this new Toyota Camry commercial that I keep seeing where they brag about a Motortrend comparison where the Camry came out on top. My recollection is that the Fusion came in second. Yet this commercial seems to make it seem that the Fusion came in 6 and/or put particular emphasis on the Fusion not being as good.

Are they talking about a different comparo?

There is this new Toyota Camry commercial that I keep seeing where they brag about a Motortrend comparison where the Camry came out on top. My recollection is that the Fusion came in second. Yet this commercial seems to make it seem that the Fusion came in 6 and/or put particular emphasis on the Fusion not being as good.

If it was MotorTrend, how could the Fusion come out second when it is MotorTrend's Car of the Year?

I think there was one with "normal people" that placed the Fusion low. I don't have a link. But that's not a review by experts or the buying populace at large. Seems it would be easy to cherry pick the drivers by how they were gathered (like look for volunteers from toyotanation.com) .

If it was MotorTrend, how could the Fusion come out second when it is MotorTrend's Car of the Year?

Good question huh? And it did come out second-and my reaction was the same as yours-says a lot about Motor Trend- they must have a lot of unmarked envelopes that show up on the editors desk!

Plus given Fusion's increasing marketshare (stealing Camry buyers), it makes sense that they'd target/"highlight" Fusion in the ad.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that the market leader (still Camry I believe) should never acknowledge its competition in commercials no matter how strong the competition is. Toyota is showing insecurity and weakness here.

Toyota knows Ford is the one picking up their market lost market share...Is you know it's bad when you have SNL, making that runaway Prius commercial with "FORD, we make hybrids too":...THAT ressonated with many people because essentially, even THEY know the fact that Ford is picking up their customers...so it's not surprising. They have also failed in their mission to take over the truck market with their blatant copies of F-150, and just goes to show you can make it a bit bigger, doesnt make it better. Competition is good for us Ford owners too...makes Ford debut better products.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that the market leader (still Camry I believe) should never acknowledge its competition in commercials no matter how strong the competition is. Toyota is showing insecurity and weakness here.

I would agree...Toyota never used to compare itself to domestic competition. Now it is. Camry must be feeling the heat from Fusion. If you include Fusion/Milan sales, Ford's mid sized sales are getting closer and closer to Camry's. In good selling months, Fusion sales will probably approach 25,000 with Milan leaving the scene. That number puts heat on all the foreign makes. I only wish Ford had put some tweaks on the 2011 Fusion like eke out another mile to the gallon and give the I4 another 5-10hp. The 2011 Focus got some MPG tweaks.

Then I quess Ford should stop mentioning GM and Chrysler in their F-series commercials.

I think there was one with "normal people" that placed the Fusion low. I don't have a link. But that's not a review by experts or the buying populace at large. Seems it would be easy to cherry pick the drivers by how they were gathered (like look for volunteers from toyotanation.com) .

Here's the comparo from the March 2010 issue of MT. Now I acknowledge that applying the title "expert" to most MT editors may be tenuous :hysterical:, but I don't see where the "normal people" part of your statement comes in...

I didn't mean every commercial, and you can't deny that they haven't. I was trying to say that it doesn't show "insecurity and weakness."

Well, depends how it's worded and which competitors you speak of also. Ford generally only mentions Chevy and "Ram" :rolleyes: For Toyota to be targeting the Fusion (as it is so inferior in their opinion) would be like an F-series ad going after the Titan.

Most people who keep watching Toyota ad are those Toyota car owners. Among those Toyota car owners, few really know what Fusion is This Toyota ads just help remind Toyota car owner that there is a good Fusion over there

I didn't mean every commercial, and you can't deny that they haven't. I was trying to say that it doesn't show "insecurity and weakness."

The reason why Ford compared GM and Chrysler truck with F-series just because they are all best trucks in the market. I do not remember Ford ever mentioned Tundra.

So when Toyota compared Fusion with Camery, Fusion must be as good as Camery now. I think Hyundai will be jealous now.

what areas do we need to improve in to become the universal best in class?

Well, depends how it's worded and which competitors you speak of also. Ford generally only mentions Chevy and "Ram" :rolleyes: For Toyota to be targeting the Fusion (as it is so inferior in their opinion) would be like an F-series ad going after the Titan.

Agreed :)