Evolution Performance Mustang 5.0 breaks into 9s with Slicks, NOS and Cold Air!

9s is a HUGE accomplishment with what amounts to simple bolt-ons and nitrous, but the car has gears, full exhaust, a little weigh reduction and some suspension work as well.

Not much of a "but" considering that is a stock long block, stock cammed engine in a capable daily driver, but relevant. I don't think everyone realizes just how fast 9s really is and what an amazing feat it is considering the "mild" modifications. This car would pull Greyhound lengths on a $650,000 Ferrari Enzo in a 1/4 mile drag race.

9s is a HUGE accomplishment with what amounts to simple bolt-ons and nitrous, but the car has gears, full exhaust, a little weigh reduction and some suspension work as well.

Not much of a "but" considering that is a stock long block, stock cammed engine in a capable daily driver, but relevant. I don't think everyone realizes just how fast 9s really is and what an amazing feat it is considering the "mild" modifications. This car would pull Greyhound lengths on a $650,000 Ferrari Enzo in a 1/4 mile drag race.

All that work and it can't beat a

?

:poke: :devil:

All that work and it can't beat a

?

:poke: :devil:

All what work? What does that 4-banger have done? I bet a LOT more work than the 5.0.

Stock lower end and cams? Don't think so. Turbo? Yep.

Still gotta love it, though!

Edited by chiefstang

Blue II, that would be a good to see.... any links?

What kind of life expectancy would those powder rods and factory pistons have?

That is my only concern beyond the 6-speed gearbox...

Talking about the perceived weakness of the rods used in Coyote.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_5_183/ai_101939306/

forged powdered metal rods engineering article

What about the mechanical properties of the forged PM rod versus the forged steel rod? "The mechanicals are equal to or better. They are in fact what you want them to be. Name it and we can match nearly any requirements. Powder metal parts always have to overcome this myth of inferiority, but it just isn't there," Letourneau explains.

"In this application the ultimate tensile strength is basically identical and the yield strength superior by some margin. Through the addition of manganese sulfide to the powder, we have a material that is machinable and still has a hardness in the Rockwell © 26-27 range. The microstructure is isotropic and lends itself to excellent machinability. We project that tool life is improved by a factor of four to one.

"But because this is a near net shape technology, there isn't that much machining anyway, the capital cost for machining equipment is less, and the dimensional control is much improved. We've completely eliminated weight pads on both ends of the rods and thus the subsequent machining and processing required to meet weight specifications."

The connecting rod for the 7.3L engine is quite different from that for the 6.0L diesel. The 7.3 rod has a straight split on the big end while the 6.0L rod features an angle split On the small end, the 6.0L rod features teepee geometry to provide a larger bearings surface to absorb the high pressures on the underside of the piston pin. The material is a cuprous iron alloy with high carbon and a manganese sulfide additive. Copper content is approximately 3 percent.

Mechanical Properties of typical rods. not a particular rod.

......................................Forged Steel......................... Powder Forged

Yield Strength Rp0.2 .........550 N/mm2 ..........................670 N/mm2

Tensile Strength Rm......... 1050 N/mm2.........................1030 N/mm2

Elongation A5 ....................10% ...................................11%

Density p ..........................7.82 g/cm3 min..................... 7.80 g/cm3 min.

Modulus of Elasticity E ........206 GPa ...............................207 GPa

Poisson's Ratio ...................0.294.......................... ......... 0.294

Core Hardness ......................28-34 Rc............................ 21-31 Rc

there are the numbers. those numbers are from the company who makes them. metaldyne

Edited by falcman

I'm not particularly impressed with a 9 second "race car" that weighs under 2500 lbs, runs on race gas, and takes 40-50 psi to do anything. :shrug:

I dunno, I'm pretty impressed with a 3L 4-banger that puts out the same HP as those sorry excuse for 5.8L V8s that NASCAR allows, and almost twice the HP that the old Offy 4L Indy engines could, and can also still be driven on the street. (Yes, it really is street-legal - or it was at the time the videos were taken)

At least it's still the original street block, albeit punched out a bit to 3 liters, plus, I assume, new bearings and cap and head bolts. The turbo, head, and pistons are definitely aftermarket. The light weight was achieved simply by removing the interior, tempered by the necessary roll cage and subframe connectors. SVOs are only around 3000lbs to begin with, or about 2700 with the Competition Prep package (no radio, A/C, window motors, or power door locks)

Anyways, I think you people kind of missed the little smiley with the red horns. I wasn't being serious.:P :D

I wonder if that 550 hp blown version could be the GT350 motor? Notice the 8.4:1 compression ratio. I assume it has forged rods and pistons...

Either of those two versions would make an awesome engine for a two-seater Cobra kit car or Daytona coupe. Factory Five, are you listening?

One more thing:

There is a fly weight Fox body with a Coyote that's at 8.70's, NO HAIR DRYER, NO BOTTLE! The old SVO's are cool but you're riding the wrong horse.

The mere existence of the Taurus SHO and the EB F150 says I'm not. :P

25 cents says that - barring regulatory changes - in 5 years, sales of Coyote-based Mustangs will be artificially limited.

Disclaimer again - I think a 9-second Mustang with minor bolt-ons is cool, just like the rest of you. Just remember to bring your rollcage.

One more thing:

The mere existence of the Taurus SHO and the EB F150 says I'm not. :P

25 cents says that - barring regulatory changes - in 5 years, sales of Coyote-based Mustangs will be artificially limited.

Disclaimer again - I think a 9-second Mustang with minor bolt-ons is cool, just like the rest of you. Just remember to bring your rollcage.

Wow, a WHOLE 25 cents? Way to stick your neck out! :stirpot: :happy feet:

I wonder if that 550 hp blown version could be the GT350 motor? Notice the 8.4:1 compression ratio. I assume it has forged rods and pistons...

Either of those two versions would make an awesome engine for a two-seater Cobra kit car or Daytona coupe. Factory Five, are you listening?

Nope. It's definitely the 5 litre.

I dunno, I'm pretty impressed with a 3L 4-banger that puts out the same HP as those sorry excuse for 5.8L V8s that NASCAR allows, and almost twice the HP that the old Offy 4L Indy engines could, and can also still be driven on the street. (Yes, it really is street-legal - or it was at the time the videos were taken)

Those sorry excuses for 5.8L V8s don't have ~40 lbs. of boost being forced into them. :yup:

Take a 4.6 4V build to the same level of aggressiveness of that SVO and you'll have ~2500 HP and low 6 second ETs, assuming you build the rest of the car to support that level of power. :devil:

Maxwell Smart...Sorry 99, but I doubt youll ever see an Enzo with slicks and nitros....so moot point....