2011 F-150 engine Options

I'm taking a different tack on the EB. I think it will come in with hp less than the 5.0 - ~340, but with more peak torque and a much broader powerband. I think it may use a smaller turbo than the SHO/MKS/Flex to reduce lag even more than the other applications. I hope I am wrong though.

With the small twin turbo set up on the Ecoboost V6, there's virtually no lag to speak of anyway,

an EB V6 with the 2.0 Ecoboost power level means that 430 hp/430 lb ft isn't out of the question.

Can anyone think of another engine (V8) that makes 430 hp/430 lb ft?

Edited by jpd80

Blah, blah, blah....it will be interesting to see how much more an Ecoboost Edge and Explorer costs over the standard Edge and Explorer with the 3.5V6. Might as well wait for hybrid version of the Edge if there is one because it will be cheaper. The Fusion supposedly will get Ecoboost, and I bet the price will be higher than $28,000 Fusion hybrid. Again, I didn't get the impression when Ford introduced Ecoboost at the Detroit Auto Show that it would be reserved for premium models only and prices are way in excess of $30,000. To meet the new CAFE rules, Ford is going to have to sell a lot of Ecoboost models, and they aren't going to make it selling Ecoboost on premium priced vehicles only. Hopefully Ford will tone down the price when it hits the smaller vehicles, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Blah, Blah, Blah yourself - 2.0EB pricing has already been announced for the Explorer. It's a $995 upgrade over the base 3.5L V6 on a 2WD XLT. A lot less than a hybrid.

• Like 1

I still remember when Ford stated that Ecoboost would be about a $700 option. It appears based off the Ecoboost Flex, SHO, and MKS that it's really about a $7,000 option. Looks like ditto with F-150 as it will only be offered on premium models. I hope Ford isn't doing the same with the Ecoboost I4, but it appears it is. $30,000 Focus RS and Fiesta RS only plus some Fusion Sport Coupe that starts at $30,000 plus. Ditto with Edge. On well...too good to be true. Ecoboost will end up costing more than a Fusion Hybrid.

The flaw in your argument is that you are comparing a 3.5L EB to an NA 3.5L V6. If Ford ever said that the EcoBoost would come at a $700 premium, they probably meant that the premium would be over a comparably powerful conventional engine, not over the same size conventional engine.

Edited by atvman

The flaw in your argument is that you are comparing a 3.5L EB to an NA 3.5L V6. If Ford ever said that the EcoBoost would come at a $700 premium, they probably meant that the premium would be over a comparably powerful conventional engine, not over the same size conventional engine.

Ford never said it. If anyone can produce a Ford press release that says that, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Edited by TomServo92

Ford never said it. If anyone can produce a Ford press release that says that, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

It was reported by Amy Wilson at Automotive News with no Ford sources cited, then regurgitated by every other internet blog and website.

IIRC it may have been shown on an internal powerpoint slide that somebody leaked. But I could not find anywhere that Ford used the $700 premium figure.

That $700 figure came from Brett Hinds, who spoke a bit out of turn to Auto News. Ford quickly squashed the story by stating that they hadn't released prices.

In a typical TTAC bit of Ford-bashing hyperbole, they said (in covering the AN piece) that Ford had been talking about Ecoboost "since the Crimean War". In fact, Ford had been talking about it for like 8 months.

It was reported by Amy Wilson at Automotive News with no Ford sources cited, then regurgitated by every other internet blog and website.

IIRC it may have been shown on an internal powerpoint slide that somebody leaked. But I could not find anywhere that Ford used the $700 premium figure.

That $700 figure came from Brett Hinds, who spoke a bit out of turn to Auto News. Ford quickly squashed the story by stating that they hadn't released prices.

In a typical TTAC bit of Ford-bashing hyperbole, they said (in covering the AN piece) that Ford had been talking about Ecoboost "since the Crimean War". In fact, Ford had been talking about it for like 8 months.

So, in other words, it was all rumor and Ford quickly squashed it.

Keep in mind how Ford laid out the engines for the new Explorer. Fairly similar in terms of power, but the Ecoboost is a premium option that gets you more mpg. I'm guessing the 3.5EB will be a little down on power compared to the 5.0L, but will get a significant bump in mpg, and it will cost more.

my guesses:

3.7L = ~300hp

3.5EB = 375hp, but similar fuel economy to the 3.7

5.0L= 390hp

6.2L = 420hp

There's a combo I didn't think of.

ATVMAN's post #24 also has some good possibilities

As you continue to whine and bitch about everything that Ford does, I have come to a conclusion. You really don't get it, do you??

Turbo charged smaller engines, replacing naturally aspirated larger engines, is a pretty new thing. As a manufacturer, you want to get the product out there, and get the buying public used to the idea............. because, as YOU said, Ford has CAFE to think about. So, what do you do??

You put the engine out as a premium offering. Remember that perception is everything, and has very little to do with reality. People begin to accept the engine as a premium offering with better fuel economy. You get to get millions upon millions of additional testing miles, while the engine is in the field.............. and the engines prove themselves to the buying public, as being reliable. Then, as the buyers get used to the idea, and accept the engines and technology as mainstream, you begin to make the engine more and more mainstream.

At some point, instead of every discussion of the Ecoboost turning into 30% accepting, and 70% worrying about reliability issues, due to turbos from 20 years ago, the percentages turn. Now your Ecoboost can be your mainstream engine, because the vast majority of the buying public accept is as the norm, with the same or very similar reliability to every NA engine out there. Plus, Ford gets their R&D paid off faster, by being in highly profitable vehicles.

Why did 6-speeds start in higher dollar vehicles.............. and now 8-speeds?? Why do most new technologies start in higher end vehicles??

You think Ford is dumb................ but they are not so dumb.

BTW, 6.2 confirmed in the Harley. Same hp/tq as the Raptor. Pickuptruck.com Harley News

Question for you: Are you a consumer or are you in auto executive managament? If a consumer, quit talking like you are VP of Ford marketing. You are just a consumer trying to get best deal on Ford of your choice. I'm a shareholder and bondholder of Ford and read their financial summaries, but I'm also a Ford consumer and think like a consumer, not some high flying Ford executive.

Found this mag last night waiting for me when I got home from work. Was going to post the same exact thread.

3.7L (305hp, 280lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT

5.0L (370hp, 380lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, KR, Platinum

6.2L (411hp, 434lb-ft) - Platinum, Raptor, HD

3.5L EB (400hp, 400lb-ft) - XLT, Lariat, KR, Platinum

Think these figures are off slightly. But then I could be way off too!

I think the 3.7L figures will be swapped around with about 280hp & 305lb-ft. Maybe a little more lb-ft depending on the tune they provide.

The 5.0L should have higher figures than 370/380, at least in the lb-ft dept. I'm look more at 380hp/400lb-ft

I really questions the 6.2L. Will they drop in the Raptor tune, or the SD tune into your everyday 6.2L F150. I think the Raptor version is a HO version and may not be the most reliable (at least currently) for towing.

And I foresee the EB pushing in the range of 400/400. If using the 3.5L EB in the SHO/Flex, the motor has much more potential but is hindered by the drivetrain. So the improved drivetrain of the F150 should allow for a much more aggressive tune.

Edited by V8-X

So, in other words, it was all rumor and Ford quickly squashed it.

Bullshit. Some of you guys need to quit talking like Ford slappies. I was at the Detroit Auto Show when Ford first introduced Ecoboost and listened to them brag about how you could get V8 power with fuel mileage of V6 and price would be far less than hybrid technology. The guy there giving speech about it and press report bragged about $700 option and how the masses would enjoy it for far less than full hybrid price. So what do we have instead. Take the Flex for example: You can buy the Flex SE in Metro Detroit with 3.5LV6 for about $25,000 with incentives and such. Now what is cheapest price you can get a Flex Ecoboost model? Maybe you could get one for about $35,000 after incentives and all. On top of that, you get maximum 21mpg highway, about fuel mileage of a much bigger F-150. I really doubt if Ford is selling many Ecoboost models as of now. Consumers aren't stupid. I can see through the bullshit. Hopefully the I4 Ecoboost will work out better. But so far looks like it will command premium price on Explorer and Edge. We will see what the final price is on Ecoboost Explorer and Edge. I'm guessing $40,000 for 4 cylinder vehicle with twin turbos and DI. I will wait for third generation hybrid versions. Ecoboost is DOA in my mind. Full hybird Ford's across their lineup can't come soon enough for me. I'm waiting for a full hybrid Focus where the rear seats go down. Next generation batteries should be small enough to accomplish that feat. And price should be in $28,000 range.

Question for you: Are you a consumer or are you in auto executive managament? If a consumer, quit talking like you are VP of Ford marketing. You are just a consumer trying to get best deal on Ford of your choice. I'm a shareholder and bondholder of Ford and read their financial summaries, but I'm also a Ford consumer and think like a consumer, not some high flying Ford executive.

What good does it do to bitch about Ford product decisions looking at it from a purely consumer standpoint without at least taking into consideration the business reasons behind the decision?

Ford can't afford to just do whatever you want as a customer (and if they could you definitely would not want to pay what it would cost).

We're also not just interested in getting the best deal on whatever we want today - we want Ford to remain a viable manufacturer for the long term so that we can continue to enjoy Ford products for decades. We do not want to see Ford caving to customer demands only to end up in bankruptcy in a few years. GM tried to do that with their Holden Monaro and it didn't work out so well.

Why don't you quit being so stubborn and try to see the bigger picture? And give Ford mgt a little credit - they're on target to make over $10B this year which is quite the achievement considering where they were just 3 years ago.

Why don't you quit being so stubborn and try to see the bigger picture? And give Ford mgt a little credit - they're on target to make over $10B this year which is quite the achievement considering where they were just 3 years ago.

Because you're arguing with a bucket of rocks.

But so far looks like it will command premium price on Explorer and Edge. We will see what the final price is on Ecoboost Explorer and Edge. I'm guessing $40,000 for 4 cylinder vehicle with twin turbos and DI.

What part of "It's a $995 option" did you not understand? Epic FAIL (again).

Blah, Blah, Blah yourself - 2.0EB pricing has already been announced for the Explorer. It's a $995 upgrade over the base 3.5L V6 on a 2WD XLT. A lot less than a hybrid.

Found this mag last night waiting for me when I got home from work. Was going to post the same exact thread.

Think these figures are off slightly. But then I could be way off too!

I think the 3.7L figures will be swapped around with about 280hp & 305lb-ft. Maybe a little more lb-ft depending on the tune they provide.

The 5.0L should have higher figures than 370/380, at least in the lb-ft dept. I'm look more at 380hp/400lb-ft

I really questions the 6.2L. Will they drop in the Raptor tune, or the SD tune into your everyday 6.2L F150. I think the Raptor version is a HO version and may not be the most reliable (at least currently) for towing.

And I foresee the EB pushing in the range of 400/400. If using the 3.5L EB in the SHO/Flex, the motor has much more potential but is hindered by the drivetrain. So the improved drivetrain of the F150 should allow for a much more aggressive tune.

You won't see much more than 280lb-ft out of the 3.7L without heavy modifications. Ford may be able to move peak torque down in the RPM range at the sacrifice of peak power, but I really don't see the peak value going up from its current level.

The same goes for the 5.0L V8. If anything, it will make less peak torque than the Mustang's 5.0L because the Mustang's peak value was acheived with premium gas. Just like with the 3.7L, the torque peak may be moved lower in the RPM range, but I don't see the peak value increasing from 380lb-ft or so.

As far as I've heard, the only F150s that will get the 6.2L are high end versions, so count on the hotter tune.

My guess for the EB is just a guess, it could be more or less.

I edited your post down to the one word that accurately describes what you were posting.

There was NOT ONE official press release that stated $700 so STFU about it.

Were you at the Detroit Auto Show like myself when Ford honchos talked about it and Detroit papers printed the info? If not, then how about you stuffing it also? I also understand the extra torque Ecoboost gives you through all the RPM ranges. But Ford did stick their foot in their mouths at the Detroit Auto Show. Ford does not walk on water. Ford wasn't as bad as everyone said they were preMulally and they aren't as good as everyone says they are with Mulally. I hope this site isn't turning into a Ford slappy site with anyone questioning Ford being gang raped.

Were you at the Detroit Auto Show like myself when Ford honchos talked about it and Detroit papers printed the info?

wikipedian_protester.png

Where's your source?

BTW: EB is about a thousand bucks on the SHO, MKS, MKT and Flex, and it's $995 on the Explorer. That's what I call 'around $700'.

And if you don't like the general support for Ford's decisions here, go post on TTAC.

Edited by RichardJensen

Were you at the Detroit Auto Show like myself when Ford honchos talked about it and Detroit papers printed the info? If not, then how about you stuffing it also? I also understand the extra torque Ecoboost gives you through all the RPM ranges. But Ford did stick their foot in their mouths at the Detroit Auto Show. Ford does not walk on water. Ford wasn't as bad as everyone said they were preMulally and they aren't as good as everyone says they are with Mulally. I hope this site isn't turning into a Ford slappy site with anyone questioning Ford being gang raped.

If it happened, provide proof. Otherwise, it's just hearsay. Every article I've seen regarding the $700 price also has an OFFICIAL follow-up from Ford saying that pricing had not been set (at the time of the article).

If it happened, provide proof. Otherwise, it's just hearsay. Every article I've seen regarding the $700 price also has an OFFICIAL follow-up from Ford saying that pricing had not been set (at the time of the article).

You just gave what I heard credence by also putting out the $700 price tag. I'm not questioning Ford's follow up disclaimer. Maybe someone misspoke at the Detroit Auto Show. I don'tr know. And I get that inflation has pushed up that price even it was an accurate figure. If it's true you can order optional EB on Edge or Explorer for $995, then that is great and I feel reasonable option to consider. And I also feel like you should be able to order an SE Flex and check off EB optional engine on it for maybe $1500-$2,000 extra over base price.

If you guys want to accept everything Ford does like it's a Sermon on the Mount, go ahead. But I'm not wired like you guys thank god. I don't trust my government or any large corporation, even Ford. If I was a Ford dealer, I would love some of you guys ordering vehicles from my dealerhship. You question nothing and feel Ford is doing everything to take more money out of your pocket. After all, an auto salesperson has to make a living. Smile like a fat cat.

No its just your a moron and you repeatedly pull shit out of thin air without anything to back it up. Your just a troll for the most part.

So for how long have you had comprehension problems? Were you at the Detroit Auto Show when EB was introduced and Ford did their big marketing push ? I believe the Explorer concept was introduced at the same show. Some of you guys truly are nothing but Fan Boys. I sure hope there are questioning minds on the Ford management team and will stand up to Mulally if they think they are right. If not, Ford will get in trouble again. It's call human nature and humans always screw up. Human history tells us this.