VW to bring $85K Phaeton back to U.S.

Edstock

From Detroit News

German automaker hopes face-lifted high-end sedan will help it cash in on lucrative market, despite '06 flop

newphaeton_live_lo.jpg

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100826/AUTO03/8260371/1148/auto01/VW-to-bring-$85K-Phaeton-back-to-U.S.

Winterkorn, who took over as CEO on Jan. 1, 2007, has rejected criticism from analysts, including Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, that the car has failed to compete with BMW and Mercedes while inflicting high development and production costs.

"Without our flagship Phaeton, VW wouldn't be where we are today in terms of technology and image," Winterkorn said in April during a presentation of a face-lifted version of the current Phaeton in Beijing.

:hysterical:

I was more in favor of them bringing the car back at a more reasonable (read: not Audi-ish) MSRP...

... until I got a glimpse of how much they're cheapening the rest of the lineup (I'm looking at YOU, new Jetta :glare: ). It will really have no place here anymore if they cheapen the mess out of the next Passat as well.

From Detroit News

German automaker hopes face-lifted high-end sedan will help it cash in on lucrative market, despite '06 flop

newphaeton_live_lo.jpg

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100826/AUTO03/8260371/1148/auto01/VW-to-bring-$85K-Phaeton-back-to-U.S.

Isn't the new Taurus Ecoboost SHO just about as fast for tens of thousands $ less?????

I think at some point - the wheels are going to fall off for VW. I don't know if this is the beginning or not - but they have what - 10 brands? And then they bought part of Subaru. Or was it Suzuki. I forget.

It is going to be increasingly hard for their brands to avoid stepping on each others toes, ala GM. Even after killing 4 brands, GM is still having that problem - look at their SUV's.

With 10 - the problem is only compounded. So in order for Audi to avoid stepping on Bentley's toes, Let's make it a VW. :banghead: So now VW is stepping on Audi's toes. They should have make it a Seat - they could have used it to launch the brand in the US and made it a Mercedes-killer brand since their is no brand recognition for Seat here now.

I'm amazed at seeing how there's a recession and yet, you have a few more luxury cars being introduced. I figuers there's about 7 new luxury entries in the last 2 years introduced, and not even mentioning the many many others that have been pushing past the "luxury" pricepoint, not sure how automakers can justify that.

I'm amazed at seeing how there's a recession and yet, you have a few more luxury cars being introduced. I figuers there's about 7 new luxury entries in the last 2 years introduced, and not even mentioning the many many others that have been pushing past the "luxury" pricepoint, not sure how automakers can justify that.

Compared to the number of new entries in the non-luxury market over the same time period, I don't think the number of new luxury models should be considered any sort of anomoly. The number of models has been steadily increasing across the board for the past decade or more.

Compared to the number of new entries in the non-luxury market over the same time period, I don't think the number of new luxury models should be considered any sort of anomoly. The number of models has been steadily increasing across the board for the past decade or more.

Think of it as the same deal as the SUV in the 1990s...the Explorer was king of the hill selling 400K units which was slowly whitted away by other makes of SUVs and Luxury SUV's...companies will attempt to fill voids they perceive to be there.

This deserving of....

double_facepalm.jpg

Seriously though, wasn't the first attempt at this such a huge abismal failure that it would take a complete moron to try it again??

EARTH TO VW EARTH TO VW: PEOPLE WITH $100K IN THEIR POCKET DON'T COME TO YOUR SHOWROOM OVER!??