Why Ford priced MKZ hybrid same as gas version

"...Lincoln has lots of research from its "manager of futuring" (honest) to suggest people will flock to the hybrid as the no-brainer choice if it's the same price..."

Its a no brainer...a Fusion Hybrid starts at 28K...i don't think all the trim pieces that make up a MKZ cost $6k! We know the Fusion Hybrid is making money (or breaking even) so the hybrid program is more or less paid its way....

Its a no brainer...a Fusion Hybrid starts at 28K...i don't think all the trim pieces that make up a MKZ cost $6k! We know the Fusion Hybrid is making money (or breaking even) so the hybrid program is more or less paid its way....

What would be great is if Lincoln can do hybrird versions of most of its models and charge same as nonhybrid model. Next up should be the MKX as Ford was supposed to do a hybrid Edge at one time. And supposedly the 3.5L V6 was engineered to be compatible with electric motor in hybrid form. Lincoln should be the brand that offers hybrids option with each of its models. That would be a coup for Lincoln, especially if offered at no extra cost.

What would be great is if Lincoln can do hybrird versions of most of its models and charge same as nonhybrid model. Next up should be the MKX as Ford was supposed to do a hybrid Edge at one time. And supposedly the 3.5L V6 was engineered to be compatible with electric motor in hybrid form. Lincoln should be the brand that offers hybrids option with each of its models. That would be a coup for Lincoln, especially if offered at no extra cost.

Would be interesting to see what a Eco boost I-4 hybrid would do.

I believed this is a good idea. Manufacuture of Hybride lincoln car or crossover with luxury price will bring some profit for FoMoCo and provide valuable experience on hybride powertrain desgin and development

I believed this is a good idea. Manufacuture of Hybride lincoln car or crossover with luxury price will bring some profit for FoMoCo and provide valuable experience on hybride powertrain desgin and development

I have to concur...would be an interesting route for Lincoln to go for future development and help build some cache that its lacking!

Isn't this a case of the obvious? Did the "manager of futuring" also tell that if they offered ecoboost engines for the same price as conventional that people would flock to them as well? How about leather seats for the price of cloth seats (which I realize aren't available in a Lincoln).

Hey, if all your options are free, I bet everyone will want them.

A hybrid isn't seen as an alternative as much as it is an upgrade. So it begs the question, is the regular version overpriced or is the hybrid underpriced? I'm pretty sure the consumer will assume the former.

A hybrid isn't seen as an alternative as much as it is an upgrade. So it begs the question, is the regular version overpriced or is the hybrid underpriced? I'm pretty sure the consumer will assume the former.

Neither. A hybrid is an upgrade from a 4 cylinder model. A V6 is an upgrade from a 4 cylinder model. It's just a different type of upgrade so I see no reason they shouldn't be priced the same. You pay extra for better fuel economy or power, your choice.

• Like 1

Neither. A hybrid is an upgrade from a 4 cylinder model. A V6 is an upgrade from a 4 cylinder model. It's just a different type of upgrade so I see no reason they shouldn't be priced the same. You pay extra for better fuel economy or power, your choice.

Precisely how I look at it. Until there are hybrids on the road that make driving more fun instead of detracting from it, you won't see me opting for that "upgrade".

Precisely how I look at it. Until there are hybrids on the road that make driving more fun instead of detracting from it, you won't see me opting for that "upgrade".

All depends on what you mean by detracting from it....the Hybrid won't offer as much performance, but it won't be a slouch either..but you won't get 38ish MPG highway out of the V6 either. I don't see it as a "downgrade" as much as a baseline?

All depends on what you mean by detracting from it....the Hybrid won't offer as much performance, but it won't be a slouch either..but you won't get 38ish MPG highway out of the V6 either. I don't see it as a "downgrade" as much as a baseline?

In the vast majority of cases, hybrid powertrains offer less power than their gas alternatives. That is a downgrade to the driving experience. It may not be a downgrade to "performance", depending on the type of performance you're looking for, but it certainly doesn't make driving more fun.

In the vast majority of cases, hybrid powertrains offer less power than their gas alternatives. That is a downgrade to the driving experience. It may not be a downgrade to "performance", depending on the type of performance you're looking for, but it certainly doesn't make driving more fun.

The torque from 0 RPM sure helps make it a bit more fun accelerating. :shift:

I think some of the fun-ness is lost with the added weight of the hybrid bits, and (though I have never driven a hybrid) I don't think the regenerative brakes have quite the same feel as normal brakes. I don't see many folks tossing hybrids in the twisties though...

The torque from 0 RPM sure helps make it a bit more fun accelerating. :shift:

I think some of the fun-ness is lost with the added weight of the hybrid bits, and (though I have never driven a hybrid) I don't think the regenerative brakes have quite the same feel as normal brakes. I don't see many folks tossing hybrids in the twisties though...

The lack of sticky/wide tires on any hybrid model certainly doesn't help either.

Name me a vehicle, other than the MKZ, where the hybrid isn't the most expensive powertrain option. It's not an upgrade in power, it's an upgrade in (perhaps perceived) value.

The Fusion Hybrid costs more than the Fusion Sport. If what you were saying were true, they'd cost the same amount. My guess is that those in the market for an MKZ (admittedly a market of which I am not part) will see the conventional version as overpriced.

Name me a vehicle, other than the MKZ, where the hybrid isn't the most expensive powertrain option. It's not an upgrade in power, it's an upgrade in (perhaps perceived) value.

The Fusion Hybrid costs more than the Fusion Sport. If what you were saying were true, they'd cost the same amount. My guess is that those in the market for an MKZ (admittedly a market of which I am not part) will see the conventional version as overpriced.

S-Class.

7 Series.

That's all I got.

When I drove the 3.0L V6 Fusion SEL last year on a trip, I found it to be less "fun" than my hybrid due to the lack of the electric motor torque.

Where did I say that the hybrid and the V6 were priced the same? I just said both were upgrades from the base 4 cylinder engine. If you want to compare the hybrid Z and regular Z then you need to compare the hybrid and the 3.5L Fusion, not the Sport. And I bet those are more comparable in price but I'm not going to waste time looking it up.

The conventional version has been on the market already so the price is well established. People will see the Hybrid version as a relative bargain or at least just as good of a price as the non hybrid. In fact they'll be so overjoyed that they can get a real hybrid luxury sedan with great fuel mileage that they probably won't care about the price.

Where did I say that the hybrid and the V6 were priced the same? I just said both were upgrades from the base 4 cylinder engine. If you want to compare the hybrid Z and regular Z then you need to compare the hybrid and the 3.5L Fusion, not the Sport. And I bet those are more comparable in price but I'm not going to waste time looking it up.

The conventional version has been on the market already so the price is well established. People will see the Hybrid version as a relative bargain or at least just as good of a price as the non hybrid. In fact they'll be so overjoyed that they can get a real hybrid luxury sedan with great fuel mileage that they probably won't care about the price.

The Sport is the 3.5L. Don't waste time--facts aren't important.

S-Class.

7 Series.

That's all I got.

Fine, the 760 and Alpina B7 are more than the hybrid. If you think that's apples to apples, you're nuts. A hybrid 750 is 20 grand more than a regular 750. You do have a point about the S-Class. Why doesn't Lincoln follow suit and make the hybrid the cheapest iteration?

The Sport is the 3.5L. Don't waste time--facts aren't important.

Ok - I made a mistake. I got confused between the Fusion Sport and the Edge Sport.

None of that changes what I said. Both the Hybrid and the Sport are upgrades over the base I4. How much you can charge for each one is dictated by the market and by the competition. If gas was $1/gallon you better believe the Sport model would be way more expensive than the hybrid if it even existed. If gas goes back to $4/gallon then the hybrid would be in way higher demand than the V6.

Making the MkZ hybrid and non-hybrid the same price is just a marketing move. Lincoln thinks people will be happy to buy either one at the same price. You don't for some reason. Guess we'll have to wait and watch sales to find out who's right.