How much does the 2011 Explorer weigh?

My Sister replaced her Explorer with an Escape (mostly because her Husband didn't like the Flex) and she hauls around 2 kids under 5 with it.

Also I think when C4C was going on, most Explorers where traded in for Escapes also...

Previous ownership isn't quite the same as cross-shopping for replacement. Did she look at the current Explorer prior to trading in her old one or were they set on something different from the get-go? If they already knew they didn't want an Explorer, they weren't cross-shopping it with the Escape. Odd one would consider the Flex and Escape considering the price difference.

My Sister replaced her Explorer with an Escape (mostly because her Husband didn't like the Flex) and she hauls around 2 kids under 5 with it.

Also I think when C4C was going on, most Explorers where traded in for Escapes also...

Ok - some will cross shop but that certainly doesn't make the Explorer and Escape redundant.

Looking at the specifications on each, I just can't see much of a difference in off-road capability between the Explorer and Flex.

Seriously? I can see the Explorer going camping, canoeing, etc. but I don't see the Flex doing similar things at all.

I just can't reconcile Ford's decision to define a different target market based on such miniscule differences between the Flex and Explorer with Ford NA's decision to abandon the compact pickup market completely.

If they were creating both from scratch at the same time then they probably would not create such overlap. But given how the Flex came about and where it sits right now versus the Explorer there is enough uniqueness to keep both assuming Flex sales don't tank and it maintains high ATPs. I also suspect the new Flex will further differentiate itself from the Explorer.

Face it - you hate the Explorer and therefore can't see any logic for producing it, regardless of what anyone tells you. You refuse to see things from Ford's viewpoint or the viewpoint of other buyers who don't share your requirements.

Seriously? I can see the Explorer going camping, canoeing, etc. but I don't see the Flex doing similar things at all.

Oh please. That's not off-roading. Camping and canoeing would both be pretty easily accomplished with a sedan. There's no reason the Flex couldn't do those things.

If they were creating both from scratch at the same time then they probably would not create such overlap. But given how the Flex came about and where it sits right now versus the Explorer there is enough uniqueness to keep both assuming Flex sales don't tank and it maintains high ATPs. I also suspect the new Flex will further differentiate itself from the Explorer.

Time and sales figures will tell.

Face it - you hate the Explorer and therefore can't see any logic for producing it, regardless of what anyone tells you. You refuse to see things from Ford's viewpoint or the viewpoint of other buyers who don't share your requirements.

Yep, like the rest of everyone, my opinions are what counts when it comes to what I drive! And I do see Ford's point of view: Explorer is now FWD because it was cheaper, not because it is better. I'm simply complaining that cheaper is more important to Ford than better.

• Like 2

I doubt that anyone will cross shop the Flex with the Explorer. The Flex is a polarizing vehicle - you either like it, or you don't. Plus, every woman I've talked to does not like it. The new Explorer is a much more mainstream vehicle, plus it will definitely appeal to women. If there is any overlap, it will between the Explorer and the Edge.

Well, I think this is officially an endless discussion, similar to the "Great Panther Debate". (Well, it wasn't really a debate since the decision was already made -- just sour grapes and second guessing).

The world has moved on. The major cross-shopping is:

Escape -- Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Korean stuff

Edge -- Nissan Murano, Toyota Venza

Explorer -- Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, GM entries, Korean entries

Flex -- Unique, but closest thing Ford has to a minivan and could serve as a substitute for some who drove Expeditions.

What you also don't know (and neither do I) is what Ford has planned in the future; that could have a big effect product definition. Personally, I would prefer the Edge to morph into something more akin to a sportwagon. Closer to the ground, good package, more fleet afoot. The last thing I would want is an S-Max. But that's just me.

I'm not sure what this string is all about??? Worry beads for a decision that has already been made??? Forecasting gloom and doom, so if the new Explorer doesn't do well, one can claim "I told you so" ???

Personally I believe Explorer will do just fine, although Ford is a bit late to the party.

And I do see Ford's point of view: Explorer is now FWD because it was cheaper, not because it is better. I'm simply complaining that cheaper is more important to Ford than better.

What exactly would automatically make a RWD-based Explorer better? If you opt for 4WD on both, you're not going to know the stinking difference 99.9999999% of the time.

Oh please. That's not off-roading. Camping and canoeing would both be pretty easily accomplished with a sedan.

But that is off-roading to 99% of the buying public. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

Nobody is telling you that you have to like the Explorer - but that doesn't mean the buying public feels the same way.

I guarantee you that if you put the Explorer and Flex side by side in front of 100 random people at the mall:

a - only diehard Ford fans would know that they share a platform. The rest would say they are different vehicles.

b - 20% would say the LOVE the Flex and would pay extra to get one because it's so unique

c - 75% would say they prefer the Explorer and hate the Flex

d - 5% would say they like both

It's a good thing Farley understands marketing because you sure don't.

I say it's a gamble because, while car-based CUVs have been selling pretty good, nobody has yet tried to build a car-based SUV and sell it as a viable alternative to the tradition RWD/4WD/Lo-Range truck-based SUVs. Unless you count the likes of Subaru, but they don't sell in numbers of any consequence anyways.

Beg to differ - Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been a unibody based vehicle and the Nissan Pathfinder converted from BOF to unibody in the mid- 1990's

Also - I am seeing specs that say the 2011 Grand Cherokee wieghs about 5000 lbs, so the new Explorer looks pretty fit at 4700.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I doubt that anyone will cross shop the Flex with the Explorer. The Flex is a polarizing vehicle - you either like it, or you don't. Plus, every woman I've talked to does not like it. The new Explorer is a much more mainstream vehicle, plus it will definitely appeal to women. If there is any overlap, it will between the Explorer and the Edge.

I bet the Flex & Explorer will get cross shopped more than you think. If you need/want a 7+ passenger vehicle, Ford only offers 3 (at least for now), the Flex, Explorer & Expedition. Personally I'm torn on which I like better. The Flex is bigger on the inside and has an available Ecoboost V6, but the Explorer is rated to tow a little more has and has MFT & other features not found in the Flex . If the Flex gets updated with these features and if the Explorer gets the Ecoboost V6, I really don't know which one I would get.

It would be safe to assume the weight savings would have been greater than 100 lbs if the dimensions were the same as the old one.

Exterior dimensions are not that much different LINK

What surprises me (besides the weight) is that the 3rd row seating (which IMHO is a waste anyway) is worse on the new model even though it is longer and wider. If you want 3 "usable" rows of seating, get a Flex or an Expedition or an E150.

I certainly am not impressed by the engineering that went into that vehicle, especially when they knew they had a 30+ mpg fuel economy target. They should at least be offering a model without the 3rd row seating. That would save a couple hundred more pounds.

• Like 1

Exterior dimensions are not that much different LINK

Length 197.1 (+3.7)

Height 70.4 (-1.5)

Width 90.2 (+5.4)

Not gigantic differences, but differences that no doubt contribute to weight. Difficult to tell what impact the height has though, as that could be influenced by suspension with no bearing on weight at all. Judging by the increased headroom in all three rows though [Head Room Front Row 41.4 (+1.6); Head Room Second Row 40.5 (+1.8); Head Room Third Row 37.8 (+0.4)], it would appear that the body itself is larger.

I stick to my claim that it would be more than 100 lbs lighter if it had the same dimensions. Would it be 400 lbs lighter? Probably not, but 150-200? Maybe.

You say the escape is smaller, but it doesn't feel like it in real life. I recently parked my 92 Explorer next to my sister-in-laws 03 Escape. The wheelbase was within an inch or two and the width was too. The only thing the Explorer had over the Escape was an extra 6" of ground clearance (mine is lifted 2" with 31" tires) and much higher bumpers (The Explorer was above my knee, the Escape was below my knee). Surprisingly enough, the Explorer (4.0L pushrod V6, 5-spd manual, 4x4 with manual locking front hubs) gets the same gas mileage as the Escape (3.0L duratech V6, 4-spd auto, awd). They seem like very similar vehicles to me.

Meh, The buying trend that saw people wanting a smallish V8 SUV is long gone and the market has moved

onto other products, this is why Ford continues changing Explorer - to follow perceived direction of trends.

Escape has grown from a small SUV to almost a small mid sized SUV, it is still slightly smaller

than the early model Explorers but covers most of the needs of people seeking that sized vehicle.

At bottom of all of this is Ford's desire to minimize the number of platforms and production plants

in North America, this efficiency drive is responsible for huge internal savings for Ford but it's

coming at the cost of long time fans of particular models falling by the way side as Ford rationalizes

name plates onto newer platforms. Balancing the net result of disaffected and vocal fans versus

the people who actually buy new products says that Ford is doing the right thing in the short term.

Long term, I would like to see Ford offer some RWD based vehicles for specific niche areas

but I understand that Ford will refuse to do that until as many slots as possible are filled by

their main line FWD / AWD products. Until then, Ford has every right to keep going with its efficiency drive...

Edited by jpd80

Beg to differ - Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been a unibody based vehicle and the Nissan Pathfinder converted from BOF to unibody in the mid- 1990's

Exactly. Thank you for pointing this out.

IMO, the Explorer doesn't have to be a homerun at all. It's an entry into an almost dead segment. GM and Chrysler have already given up on the segment. If the new Explorer sells at the current rate or at a slightly higher rate, it's already accomplished 2 important things: it has allowed Ford to kill another bespoke chassis (like it will do with the panther), and it creates an all new entrant for this segment that will share a high percentage of its parts with existing products (One Ford). I don't see this as a risk at all, since Ford has absolutely nothing to lose compared to the paltry sales of the current model Explorer.

Edited by Harley Lover

Exactly. Thank you for pointing this out.

IMO, the Explorer doesn't have to be a homerun at all. It's an entry into an almost dead segment. GM and Chrysler have already given up on the segment. If the new Explorer sells at the current rate or at a slightly higher rate, it's already accomplished 2 important things: it has allowed Ford to kill another bespoke chassis (like it will do with the panther), and it creates an all new entrant for this segment that will share a high percentage of its parts with existing products (One Ford). I don't see this as a risk at all, since Ford has absolutely nothing to lose compared to the paltry sales of the current model Explorer.

GM and Chrysler have given up on the segment? What about the Lambdas from GM? They are direct competition to the Explorer. The Durango Jeep GC could be considered direct competition too.

So it weighs just a little more than a Flex AWD.

We don't know what type of weight this is. What I mean is that you start with the curb weight, then add fuel and who knows what and you get a much higher weight. I am thinking the real weight is still a secret?

This is how I see it:

Start with the weight or a Flex 4640 lbs.

The Explorer has a shorter wheelbase so -? lbs.

The Explorer has aluminum hood, etc -? lbs.

The Explorer has a composite Front

assembly that is 60% lighter -? lbs.

You look at this, it seems like they made a major effort to cut weight. Also consider that the I-4 EcoBoost is design to replace the 3.0L (not the 3.5L) they must have cut some weight to make it perform.

I'll just start off by saying, I dislike the new Explorer style, as it looks like a mix between GM & Toyota products. Not good in my opinion, but if Ford want the Explorer to be "Blah" to mix in with the rest of the crowd, oh well.. Also, even though Ford will save money by using one platform, they simply have way too much overlap in the CUV market. The loss of a 2-speed transfer case and RWD will hurt sales from many buyers. It is undetermined how many potential customers may like the FWD/AWD setup better, so we'd be guessing with any figure we throw out.

You clearly have not been camping or canoeing before. This is easily done within a sedan or vehicle similar to a Flex.

Hmm, seems to be the exact opposite around here. Most women my wife and I speak with love the Flex. Can't say about the Explorer, since it's not on the roads yet, but if they are anything like my wife, it'd be to dull and bland for them. Basically blend in with all the other CUV's.

But that is off-roading to 99% of the buying public. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

Nobody is telling you that you have to like the Explorer - but that doesn't mean the buying public feels the same way.

I guarantee you that if you put the Explorer and Flex side by side in front of 100 random people at the mall:

a - only diehard Ford fans would know that they share a platform. The rest would say they are different vehicles.

b - 20% would say the LOVE the Flex and would pay extra to get one because it's so unique

c - 75% would say they prefer the Explorer and hate the Flex

d - 5% would say they like both

It's a good thing Farley understands marketing because you sure don't.

You guarantee huh? I'd like to see where you got those stats, cause it surely wouldn't represent the population in this part of the country.

GM and Chrysler have given up on the segment? What about the Lambdas from GM? They are direct competition to the Explorer. The Durango Jeep GC could be considered direct competition too.

Chevy Equinox selling quite well in North America and doubles as the Captiva overseas.

There's a new video on the Ford Explorer Facebook page (video) where Jim Holland discusses the unibody construction of the 2011 Ford Explorer. Unfortunately I can't watch it at work because of our firewall. Check it out.

I just watched it on my iPhone. It really doesn't say much. :(

Edited by NLPRacing

I bet the Flex & Explorer will get cross shopped more than you think. If you need/want a 7+ passenger vehicle, Ford only offers 3 (at least for now), the Flex, Explorer & Expedition. Personally I'm torn on which I like better. The Flex is bigger on the inside and has an available Ecoboost V6, but the Explorer is rated to tow a little more has and has MFT & other features not found in the Flex . If the Flex gets updated with these features and if the Explorer gets the Ecoboost V6, I really don't know which one I would get.

With a family vehicle, both spouses have to like it, and, from what I've heard, the Flex is pretty polarizing. The Explorer is attractive, but also very mainstream. It's more of a "safe" choice.

I love the Flex, but lots of people don't. My wife calls it "Ford's hearse," and I know that she would not have a problem with the new Explorer.

Hmm, seems to be the exact opposite around here. Most women my wife and I speak with love the Flex. Can't say about the Explorer, since it's not on the roads yet, but if they are anything like my wife, it'd be to dull and bland for them. Basically blend in with all the other CUV's.

Interesting, because my wife does not like the Flex, and a local Ford dealer told me that usually the men like it, but the wife doesn't, which means it doesn't get purchased.