F-150 tops RAM, Sierra in V6 Pickup Shootout

LINK - USAToday

No. 1: Ford F-150

98.8 out of 100

The 3.7-liter V-6 proved a good replacement for the 4.6-liter V-8 standard in Ford work trucks for two years. The base engine also now uses the same six-speed automatic as other models, instead of a four-speed, so the V-6 F-150 had no performance compromises.

That new drivetrain technology is why the Ford scored best in the empirical and fuel-economy tests, snagging 80 out of a possible 80 points in those two segments toward its final score.

It wasn't a runaway subjectively, though. The suspension delivered a busy, jiggly ride, especially when not towing. And the F-150 didn't seem quite as good a value as rivals. But it scored highest on fit and finish: Things looked and felt nice and seemed put together properly.

The F-150 got 18.8 out of 20 in the subjective analyses — tops, but by a skinny margin.

No. 2: Ram 1500

92.24 out of 100

The Ram is the second-newest design among the three, but was hobbled by its aging 3.7-liter V-6 and four-speed automatic. If it were offered with the new Pentastar V-6 that parent Chrysler Group now is offering in the redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee, along with a well-integrated six-speed automatic, the Ram work truck would be a much closer rival to the F-150. Instead, with the aging drivetrain holding it back, it got 73.6 total for the empirical and mpg segments toward its final score.

Ram, unique among big pickups, has a coil-spring rear suspension, similar to a car's. Theoretically, that should provide a smoother ride and nimbler handling, but on real roads, Ram was judged worst — slightly — in ride and handling. It was considered the best value, though, so wound up with 18.65 points in the subjective segment.

No. 3: GMC Sierra 1500

90.86 out of 100

Another case of aging drivetrain undercutting an otherwise respectable truck. The GMC was slowest and used the most fuel. It shifted often when towing, straining to hold speeds the others managed easily. It tallied a combined 72.16 in the empirical and mileage segments.

It got the highest scores for ride and handling, however, and was judged a pretty good value, so it wound up second in the subjectives, with 18.7 points.

• Like 1

Ford ran the table on them. That 3.7 is no joke. For years it seems Ford has been bringing a knife to a gun fight but times are changing. The best trucks just got the best engines. :shades:

Incredible, it's as though the other two just stood back and gave the V6 truck market to Ford.

Having a great entry level truck is going to pump F Truck figures even higher and it's looking

like the +500,000 figure for 2010 may convert to a +600,0000 figure for 2011....

Ford must be pleased that their two main competitors seem unable to counter this latest move..

Edited by jpd80

My guess is that when Fiat/Chrysler updates Ram....along with engine upgrades you will see the coil spring rear end go away...

Why would the coil spring rear end go away? It really does make their truck ride nice. I had a rental RAM about a year ago with the 4.7L V8. It was a nice riding, nice handling truck. I hope they keep it and I hope that Ford offers something like it or the Expedition IRS at least as an option the F150. 1/2 ton trucks that run empty 90% of the time don't need heavy duty leaf springs.

I'd assume the Ram is getting the Pentastar V6 shortly. It is replacing all current V6's.

Word is 12-24 months for the Pentastar in the RAM.

I bet they don't wait 24 months, they really need it now. I bet the 2012 RAM has it, which would be closer to the 12 months.

Why didn't this comparison test include the 2011 Toyota Tundra with its revised 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 engine?

EDIT - the answer is in the middle of the article:

The Shootout also intended to include Toyota's Tundra, which has a newly improved V-6. But the transport delivering the Tundra crashed and burned literally in Kentucky, and Toyota was unable to deliver a replacement in time for the competition.

:eek5:

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

No surprise the F-150 won, its new drive-train is simply heads and shoulders above those two competitors.

I was surprised at how nice the Ram's interior was for a base trim. It, along with the F-150, has an interior that looks relevant in this day and age. Sadly, the GMC's interior looks at least a decade old. I wouldn't buy one just because the horrid interior.

It must be heart-wrenching for any GM truck fanboi right now. The Silverado and Sierra must truck on for what, 2+ years before they get upgraded? Ouch. I know where Ford will be picking up a lot of new customers with the 2011 F-150s ;)

Why would the coil spring rear end go away? It really does make their truck ride nice.

Ram, unique among big pickups, has a coil-spring rear suspension, similar to a car's. Theoretically, that should provide a smoother ride and nimbler handling, but on real roads, Ram was judged worst — slightly — in ride and handling.
  • Like 1

So, in other words, the Toyota was being transported by a Toyota, which suffered from a Toyotaism. :hysterical:

Not quite. It was on a transport that I hired (along with six other vehicles) to be moved from Toyota's marketing and sales fleet in LA to Detroit. It was the only 2011 4.0 Tundra in Toyota's captive fleet because production had just started before the test. We couldn't get a replacement from a Toyota dealer, like we acquired the Ram, because they didn't have the trucks yet. We'll test the 2011 Tundra extensively in the future. I'm bummed it didn't happen for the Shootout.

I was surprised at how nice the Ram's interior was for a base trim. It, along with the F-150, has an interior that looks relevant in this day and age. Sadly, the GMC's interior looks at least a decade old. I wouldn't buy one just because the horrid interior.

The Ram has a brilliant interior for a work truck. Easy to use. Lot of secure storage. Good quality. Intuitive controls.

It must be heart-wrenching for any GM truck fanboi right now. The Silverado and Sierra must truck on for what, 2+ years before they get upgraded? Ouch. I know where Ford will be picking up a lot of new customers with the 2011 F-150s

The fuel mileage difference alone should help sell the base F150 to fleets and people who dont want or need a 50K truck. The drive train is just so superior. Ford really caught Dodge and Chevy with their pants down this time. I suspect the Tundra would produce similar numbers to the F150 but who wants a Tundra? I sure as hell dont.

Ram, unique among big pickups, has a coil-spring rear suspension, similar to a car's. Theoretically, that should provide a smoother ride and nimbler handling, but on real roads, Ram was judged worst — slightly — in ride and handling.

In all fairness to the RAM, it was a base truck, with base wheel & tires riding on a short wheelbase. The 2009 Dodge Ram I drove last year was a well equipped extended cab with a decent set of tires & wheels and I really enjoyed the way it drove & handled, especially when compared to the 2009 F150 SuperCrew that I drove a week before the Dodge.

Not quite. It was on a transport that I hired (along with six other vehicles) to be moved from Toyota's marketing and sales fleet in LA to Detroit. It was the only 2011 4.0 Tundra in Toyota's captive fleet because production had just started before the test. We couldn't get a replacement from a Toyota dealer, like we acquired the Ram, because they didn't have the trucks yet. We'll test the 2011 Tundra extensively in the future. I'm bummed it didn't happen for the Shootout.

Mike, I love your site and read it daily.

How did the Tundra get damaged during transit?

Also, how did the electric steering in the F-150 compare with the other trucks?

Mike, I love your site and read it daily.

How did the Tundra get damaged during transit?

Also, how did the electric steering in the F-150 compare with the other trucks?

Thanks for reading!

According to the police report, the transport driver made a turn with no shoulder and the trailer's rear wheels went off the side of the road and pulled the entire rig with it.

We got used to the electric steering very quickly. I think it's a bit vague and overboosted when parking but otherwise it's very good. You won't miss hydraulic steering after you try it.

I bet they don't wait 24 months, they really need it now. I bet the 2012 RAM has it, which would be closer to the 12 months.

True, but nearly all their lineup needs the Pentastar badly. They might be running into the problem Ford did early on with some of their new powertrains: they aren't able to ramp up production quickly enough and so some models will get left in the cold for an extra year.

Thanks for ruining our fantasy of a Tundra trailering another Tundra, both crashed and burning on the side of the road. :hyper:

Thanks for reading!

According to the police report, the transport driver made a turn with no shoulder and the trailer's rear wheels went off the side of the road and pulled the entire rig with it.

We got used to the electric steering very quickly. I think it's a bit vague and overboosted when parking but otherwise it's very good. You won't miss hydraulic steering after you try it.

mike, i dont know whom supplied the trucks for the comparison, but the STX is by NO means Fords entry level work truck...so of course it will be more expensive....

mike, i dont know whom supplied the trucks for the comparison, but the STX is by NO means Fords entry level work truck...so of course it will be more expensive....

Ford supplied the truck. They didn't have an XL model in their captive fleet at the time the test was done. I said in the story why the F-150 cost $4,000 more.

Still, the F-150 had cloth seats, vinyl floor, two-wheel drive, two doors and a short bed. It's a work truck in my book. A fancy one but a work truck nonetheless.

I would guess that these V6 F150 "work trucks" would still be rather desirable on the used market if a business is turning them over in 3 to 4 years. The powertrain really seems solid all around. I can't imagine there will be much interest in a 4 year old 4.3 Sierra/Silverado. Besides the significant fuel economy savings, the resale difference could be huge. For a business, it seems there would be no good reason to buy one of the others.