Lincoln MKExplorer

I'm a little surprised this isn't in the works already but I strongly believe Lincoln needs a version of the new Ford Explorer and the MKT isn't cutting it (just like the Flex isn't). I would never EVER buy the MKT, it's hopelessly ugly and sits too low to the ground with those ungainly long and low proportions. I want a classically proportioned luxury SUV/CUV, not too dissimilar to the MKX, is that too much to ask for? I mean it took Ford WAAAAAAAY too long to get its act together to produce the Explorer; shamefully and embarrassingly so! I still can't believe we had to go through the Freestyle, Taurus X, and Flex to FINALLY get to the correct answer! Now it's time to bring that mercy to Lincoln!

In any case, about a month before ordering my 2011 MKX, I sorta fell for the new Explorer. It's a bit more vehicle than I need but I actually considered ordering one because it's exactly what I want, a tall spacious and chunky SUV. That didn't hold up once I convinced myself that the Explorer isn't going to be feel right for me unless it was restyled and dressed as a Lincoln (and I'm not especially fond of the Explorer's face and bum). Even if Lincoln just rebadged this like the MKX, I would probably be happy...but I know they will want to do more to it.

In any case, should Lincoln get this car? Thoughts? Am I just crazy or does a Lincoln buyer know what he's talking about? ;)

There would be no harm in trying the Lincoln Explorer, I'd say give it the 3.7 and the EB 35 as unique power trains.

MKT may not appeal to a lot of buyers but at 50K a pop, they certainly value add to Flex's $40K average price.....

So while the D3/4s don't sell in high numbers they sure do add to the bottom line and so would a Lincoln Explorer.

I would never EVER buy the MKT

In your opinion, you should never EVER have bought [leased] an MkX, and yet, here you did.

I did not buy our Flex until I saw the Explorer. The Explorer sold me on the Flex. That thing is ungainly.

The MkT certainly has some styling issues, but there is nothing to say an MkExplorer would not have the same issues.

I'm a little surprised this isn't in the works already but I strongly believe Lincoln needs a version of the new Ford Explorer and the MKT isn't cutting it (just like the Flex isn't). I would never EVER buy the MKT, it's hopelessly ugly and sits too low to the ground with those ungainly long and low proportions. I want a classically proportioned luxury SUV/CUV, not too dissimilar to the MKX, is that too much to ask for? I mean it took Ford WAAAAAAAY too long to get its act together to produce the Explorer; shamefully and embarrassingly so! I still can't believe we had to go through the Freestyle, Taurus X, and Flex to FINALLY get to the correct answer! Now it's time to bring that mercy to Lincoln!

In any case, about a month before ordering my 2011 MKX, I sorta fell for the new Explorer. It's a bit more vehicle than I need but I actually considered ordering one because it's exactly what I want, a tall spacious and chunky SUV. That didn't hold up once I convinced myself that the Explorer isn't going to be feel right for me unless it was restyled and dressed as a Lincoln (and I'm not especially fond of the Explorer's face and bum). Even if Lincoln just rebadged this like the MKX, I would probably be happy...but I know they will want to do more to it.

In any case, should Lincoln get this car? Thoughts? Am I just crazy or does a Lincoln buyer know what he's talking about? ;)

I don't see the point of pursuing a Lincoln Explorer when there are so many other things at Lincoln that need fixing first. Lincoln had its foray with the Aviator and that was a failure. The Navigator, MKT, and MKX cover a wide territory already; rebadging an Explorer seems like a waste of time when the car side of the brand is still languishing.

I don't see the point of pursuing a Lincoln Explorer when there are so many other things at Lincoln that need fixing first.  Lincoln had its foray with the Aviator and that was a failure.  The Navigator, MKT, and MKX cover a wide territory already; rebadging an Explorer seems like a waste of time when the car side of the brand is still languishing.

Well, the re-freshes for the MK S and MK T are set, and the next MK Z is about 18 months away. So, considering that the Explorer platform is available for a Lincoln skin and the current cars have up-grades in the pipe-line, why not? Especially considering all the luxo competition. :)

. Lincoln had its foray with the Aviator and that was a failure.

I wouldn't call the Aviator a failure. It surely didn't cost very much to develop, as it as basically just a rebadged Explorer with a different engine. It would be difficult to compare it to what an Aviator of today would look like, since there's no way it would be that similar to the Explorer this time around.

I wouldn't call the Aviator a failure. It surely didn't cost very much to develop, as it as basically just a rebadged Explorer with a different engine. It would be difficult to compare it to what an Aviator of today would look like, since there's no way it would be that similar to the Explorer this time around.

Aviator was losing money...thats straight from Wescoent who knows about the Ford books. :reading:

04explorspyla.jpg

That's an interesting shot. Looks like the front of my MKX. How big was it? As far as just rebadging the Explorer goes, that's a big criticism for Lincoln right now: they need more autonomy and not produce such obvious twin vehicles. MKT/Flex shows what can happen when you want them to look different. I saw a white MKT and it looked stunning. Some colours look better on that car than others.

That's an interesting shot. Looks like the front of my MKX. How big was it? As far as just rebadging the Explorer goes, that's a big criticism for Lincoln right now: they need more autonomy and not produce such obvious twin vehicles. MKT/Flex shows what can happen when you want them to look different. I saw a white MKT and it looked stunning. Some colours look better on that car than others.

Here is a photo of my MKT - nice car - great engine (echoboost) - but just too big - its been replaced by a 2011 MKX - also a photo here - the 2010 Lincoln MKT had LED lights on the front of the rearview mirrors - the 2011 MKX does not -

post-41879-0-33603900-1291630406_thumb.jpg

post-41879-0-34277000-1291630479_thumb.jpg

It does look a lot like the MKX (details like the mirrors and antenna base at the center of the windshield's top crossmember. I think an important question to ask would be when was this photo taken?

That's an old photo, and was AFAIK never confirmed to be an Explorer based mule. I've always assumed it was an X and someone was mistaken.

(The address seems to indicate March 2010)

Looking at the other spyshots, here, it is D3 based. Question is whether it is an Explorer mule, or an MkT mule.

Edited by sullynd

That's because it is is the MKX, it even has the now outdated sideview mirrors ;).

Here is a photo of my MKT - nice car - great engine (echoboost) - but just too big - its been replaced by a 2011 MKX - also a photo here - the 2010 Lincoln MKT had LED lights on the front of the rearview mirrors - the 2011 MKX does not -

I like the MKT from behind the wheel, great interior and definitley Lincoln's finest example of a real luxury car. However, the body design is the issue.

That's an old photo, and was AFAIK never confirmed to be an Explorer based mule. I've always assumed it was an X and someone was mistaken.

(The address seems to indicate March 2010)

Looking at the other spyshots, here, it is D3 based. Question is whether it is an Explorer mule, or an MkT mule.

The white car is a very old Explorer mule, the car with the camo is the produton 2011 MKX, they are completely different cars.