Why are bigger wheels "better"?

Admittedly, this may be a bit of a stupid question to some, but.......

It doesn't seem to matter what car/SUV (or which maker) you are looking at, the higher trim level usually brings larger (diameter) wheels.

What is the advantage? Is it for looks or does it serve a function?

As far as I can tell, the only thing they do is look better. Typically they cost more, hurt braking and acceleration and ride rougher. But with that said, I've always opted for the largest wheel option I could get. :)

I remember reading a test that one magazine did on tire size vs performance. They found one tire manufacturor and one wheel manufacturor that made the same wheel/tire combo with the exception of wheel diameter in 4 diferent wheel sizes that maintained the same overall tire diameter. It was a trade off. The smaller the wheel/tire combo, the faster straight line acceleration, fuel economy and comfort due to the lower mass. The larger the wheel/tire, the better the braking, handling due to the increased tire patch and shorter, stiffer sidewall of the wider tire and stiffer ride, slower acceleration and worse economy due to the increased mass. It's a trade off.

Most of the F150s at my dealership come with 20" wheels. My dealer mostly sells the higher-end trims, such as FX4, Lariat, King Ranch. These have too much "bling bling" for my likes, especially the 20" wheels.

I special ordered my 2011 F150 XLT SuperCrew (got it last week), and it comes with 17" wheels by default, as long as you don't get the "chrome package", or some of the other options that would give you 18" to 20" wheels. One reason I wanted 17" wheels is because I already have a set of snow chains that will fit and are "approved" by Ford for the tires I was going to put on the truck (LT265/70R17). Many people may not realize that Ford won't allow snow chain use on most larger wheels/tires due to clearance issues. I'd never want to own a set of wheels/tires that would prevent you from using snow chains on a TRUCK.

(I also swapped out the OEM Ford tires with Toyo Open Country A/T -- looks sweet....)

I read quite some time ago that the only benefit is quicker turn in

unless the larger wheels are filled with bigger brakes

otherwise the increased mass farther from the axle makes even braking worse

plus all the other negatives mentioned

I remember reading a test that one magazine did on tire size vs performance. They found one tire manufacturor and one wheel manufacturor that made the same wheel/tire combo with the exception of wheel diameter in 4 diferent wheel sizes that maintained the same overall tire diameter. It was a trade off. The smaller the wheel/tire combo, the faster straight line acceleration, fuel economy and comfort due to the lower mass. The larger the wheel/tire, the better the braking, handling due to the increased tire patch and shorter, stiffer sidewall of the wider tire and stiffer ride, slower acceleration and worse economy due to the increased mass. It's a trade off.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. (Car and Driver, May 2010)

effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested-chart.jpg

As far as I can tell, the only thing they do is look better. Typically they cost more, hurt braking and acceleration and ride rougher.

Replacement tires cost more !

I have a buddy who ad to spend over $100 extra for tires for his Fusion compared to replacement tires for my Milan. Different rim size.

Bigger rims have clearance for bigger brakes.

In theory, yes.

Most OEMs do not bother putting larger discs and calipers on, even though there is space.

A sleeper, hehehe

67 falcon 4 door, steel 14" on the front and steel15" on the back with firestone wide ovals 60 series tires. Was a 6, dropped in a 380hp windsor. (this was in '80 or so when 380hp in a street car was CRAZY power and before after market windsor heads etc)

Made lots of money with that car

71 mustang 351C 4 spd 4:56 gear steel all around matched the faded paint...another money maker, hehehe.

Personally I don't like rubber band tires no matter what size the rims are. And anybody who takes a 60's musclecar and puts on 20" rims is a frikken idiot! 20's on a truck with real tires? Eh, that's fine.

Bigger wheels are result of the advent of stiff low-profile (50 series - 50% of width to hight) performance tires starting in the late Seventies with the Pirelli P7, popularized by Goodyear with its Eagle GT and VR tires in the Eighties as OEM suppliers. There is a diminishing rate of return with regard to performance (lateral g's, transitional responces, high-speed rating) beyond 19 or 20" inches (30-40 series). Bigger than this is usually for porpotional looks on say an SUV.

Unfortunelty functionality is lost on some "enthusiasts" that don't know the right balance and just want bling (and end up with hard riding, rim cracking junk)

Off-Road is all together different - a compliant tire is preferred - Re: 17" wheels on the behmouth SVT Raptor.

Edited by Project-Fairmont
  • Like 1

Steelies can look good, but they have to be big:

truck20suf7.jpg

I like it!

AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!! That poor truck looks horrible! 16" max...go 10-12" wide if you want but those look horrible! That to me says I don't have any idea about blending or parts clash. Why not throw on a huge dirt track wing on the roof and some brass lights off a model T? :banghead:

As far as the cuv goes..actually they look good on that, they "fit". I would like more rubber though, maybe drop a size in rim and go up a size in tire.

Couple weeks ago a guy wanted to sell me a set of 19's or whatever they are on the new gt500. had a set and they would look GREAT on my 83gt drag car. :finger: I said ,thanks, uh, no.

4" Centrelines on front and 10" on back "fit". :shades:

Oh, and Project-fairmont, that's why I mentioned the wide ovals, they were the tire to have if you couldn't afford the mickey thompson 50 series. That was early-mid seventies though, not late. I had a set of cobra tires too at one time, mounted them on factory gt rims off a torino. I think they were dunlop's or coker, don't remember now.

Hell I used to get tires from the dump, mount them with two big screw drivers, burn the shit out of them and start all over. It was funny, you'd come down the road and when you came to where a young guy lived you saw squiggly black marks getting thicker and thicker until the road was black in front of the driveway then it would taper off into squiggly marks again. :happy feet: :hysterical:

Man I had it good growing up! :shift:

AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!! That poor truck looks horrible! 16" max...go 10-12" wide if you want but those look horrible! That to me says I don't have any idea about blending or parts clash. Why not throw on a huge dirt track wing on the roof and some brass lights off a model T? :banghead:

As far as the cuv goes..actually they look good on that, they "fit". I would like more rubber though, maybe drop a size in rim and go up a size in tire.

Couple weeks ago a guy wanted to sell me a set of 19's or whatever they are on the new gt500. had a set and they would look GREAT on my 83gt drag car. :finger: I said ,thanks, uh, no.

4" Centrelines on front and 10" on back "fit". :shades:

FYI - That pic is a Photoshop that I found on Google images. No need to get so worked up... :)