MT test's the Ford Explorer against the Competition

*Updated*Latest Update:(3/31)(4/1)

We didn't like driving the Explorer very much. "Holy torque steer, Batman!" shrieked executive editor Edward Loh. "Why is this AWD beast pulling under wide-open throttle?" Because more so than any other vehicle here, the Explorer is primarily FWD, with power routed to the rear tires only when the fronts lose traction. Hence, massive, freaky, comical torque steer. The big Ford also rode worse than much of the competition. Says Williams, "The chassis needs some refinement to give it the level of sophistication and playfulness most of the others deliver." From my own notes: "Car feels wobbly at speed-not confidence inspiring."

Explorer being an early pre-production vehicle

At time of this writing, Ford is leading the poll for which we most would buy.

Source

Poll results as of March 29, 2011:

ExplorerPoll.png

Poll results as of March 31, 2011:

ExplorerPoll2.jpg

*Update*

One of the editors has written a blog on why they tested the preproduction Explorer:

The internet has caught fire! In case you missed it, today’s basic gripe goes a little something like this. Us hacks at Motor Trend did a six-way SUV comparison test and put the brand spankin’ new Ford Explorer dead last. And – are you sitting down – we (gasp!) tested a… I can hardly type, my hands refuse to cease trembling… we tested a PREPRODUCTION VEHICLE!!! Please retroactively cancel my subscription for the last decade. Jerks. That’s fair, but here’s the thing. We didn’t know the Explorer was preproduction until after we handed it back to Ford in pieces.

But let me be clear about one final point. A properly sorted production 2011 Ford Explorer still would have finished in last place. It’s simply not as good as the competition.

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/tested-preproduction-ford-explorer-13787.html#ixzz1IDAm2QUb

My link

*Update*4/1/2011

Motortrend continues to take shots at the Explorer:

To be fair, our six-way crossover comparison didn’t come out until the end of the month. Whether it (or the quality issues we encountered) will have any effect on the Explorer’s April numbers is anyone’s guess, but it didn’t have any time to do damage to Explorer’s March results. The redesigned crossover saw sales jump 111 percent over March 2010 to an impressive 12,482, eclipsing the Edge and making it Ford’s second-best selling crossover or SUV behind the Escape.

My link

The new Explorer even had a big month with a 111-percent gain despite our comparison test.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-keeps-rolling-19-percent-sales-gain-march-beats-gm-64349.html#ixzz1IKTHyqYE

My link

*Update*

MT is milking the hell out of this story it seems...

If our recent six-way three-row crossover comparison has proven anything, it’s that said three-row CUVs can generate a lot of controversy

My link

Update*

Looking at the tone and tenor of the comments to Jonny Lieberman’s blog about the Ford Explorer, I guess some people don’t quite understand what we do. We drive cars, trucks and SUVs. We test cars, trucks, and SUVs. We combine our drive impressions and the road test data, and deliver our opinion as to whether the vehicle in question has delivered on its manufacturer’s promise.

That’s right, our opinion.

When people ask me – as they inevitably do when they find out what I do for a living – “What’s the best car you’ve driven?” they’re asking my opinion. Same when they ask me “What minivan should I buy?” or “Is a Carrera 4S worth the extra money over a regular 911?” or “Should I wait for the new Honda Civic?” This is what Motor Trend does. It gives opinions on new cars, trucks and SUVs.

A lot of people seemed to take issue with Jonny’s assertion that even if the Explorer we’d tested had been a properly sorted production model, it would have finished last. Some seemed to think he should have withheld judgment until we’d be able to test a full production vehicle. The point they all seemed to miss was this: Regardless of whether bits fell off our tester or not, the Explorer’s basic vehicle package simply isn’t as good, or as compelling as the other SUVs assembled for this test.

Ford’s decision to re-use the same basic vehicle architecture that underpins the Taurus has left the Explorer noticeably compromised in a number of key areas such as package and space efficiency. It’s heavier than it should be, and though it boasted the best power to weight ratio of the group we tested, delivered decidedly mid-pack performance levels. Our tester gripped well in the MT Figure Eight test, but rode poorly. And then there was the torque steer.

The Explorer does boast the best overall EPA city/hwy fuel economy numbers, though there’s only a mile per gallon in it, and most of the others match it on one or the other consumption cycles. In terms of MT’s observed fuel economy, however, it actually performed slightly worse than the much heavier Durango.

The fact the Explorer we tested was a pre-production unit is actually not such a big deal. Launching a new vehicle is a fiendishly complex process, and getting cars ready for the media to drive, test and form an opinion on is but a tiny part of the overall logistical puzzle. As a result, we test pre-production vehicles fairly regularly – all automotive media outlets do. But this Explorer had more problems that any pre-production car we’ve driven in a long time. All we did was report it. (“Early-build” cars – actual production cars that are among the first down the line – can also have niggling problems as the production process is bedded down. Like the leaking roof we mentioned in our test of the new Camaro Convertible.)

Bottom line: We don’t care what badge a vehicle carries. We don’t care where it’s made, what the sales numbers are, or what other automotive media outlets might think. We want every car, truck, and SUV to be great, and we’re disappointed when they’re not. The V-6 powered Ford Explorer Limited is, in our considered and professional opinion, a disappointment.

We’re expecting great things from the forthcoming four-cylinder EcoBoost-powered Explorer: Terrific fuel economy, and a better ride/handling compromise would definitely make it a more compelling offering in the family SUV market, and I would like nothing better than for Ford to deliver on that promise. But if it doesn’t, we’ll be the first to let you know.

Angus MacKenzie

Posted on: April 4, 2011 5:44 pm

I’m not surprised you’ve read a number of fairly positive reviews. Many of those would have been based on early drives at either a Ford Proving Ground, or from the initial launch drive. In both cases wheel time would have been reasonably limited, and the route – had the Ford PRs been doing their job – would have been selected to show the vehicle at its best.

As for the NATOTY, all I know about this is it’s an award based on the votes of a jury of journalists rather than an award based on a clearly documented process of testing and evaluating a vehicle against a set of published criteria. From the timing of the award, it’s fairly safe to say many of the jurors would have had fairly limited time with the Explorer.

When you get more time in a vehicle on roads you know well – and put it through a series of standardised tests – first impressions can change. Throwing a vehicle into a comparison test alters the dynamic further. Stuff that may not have been obvious in isolation can suddenly become the stuff that makes the difference between winning and losing.

My link

Edited by GT-Keith

At time of this writing, Ford is leading the poll for which we most would buy.

Source

Good old torque steer hasn't gone away, especially as engines get more powerful as they are. Certainly there are other attributes to RWD, but eliminating torque steer is certainly one of them. Optioned out $50,000 vehicles shouldn't even have a HINT of torque steer. That is not luxury. And a $50,000 Limited Explorer even with a FORD logo on it is a luxury vehicle. My DOHC 24 valvle Taurus has torque steer if you get aggressive with the throttle and it can be annoying at times. I'm personally fine with FWD on my vehicle though, and of course Fusion, but next Taurus should be RWD IMO along with next generation Explorer.

• Like 1

Good old torque steer hasn't gone away, especially as engines get more powerful as they are. Certainly there are other attributes to RWD, but eliminating torque steer is certainly one of them. Optioned out $50,000 vehicles shouldn't even have a HINT of torque steer. That is not luxury. And a $50,000 Limited Explorer even with a FORD logo on it is a luxury vehicle. My DOHC 24 valvle Taurus has torque steer if you get aggressive with the throttle and it can be annoying at times. I'm personally fine with FWD on my vehicle though, and of course Fusion, but next Taurus should be RWD IMO along with next generation Explorer.

Um guess you missed the part where they said it was an early pre production vechicle? I haven't seen any other reviews mention Torque steer on the Explorer

Also..the CX-9 is the best? What is more or less an extented Edge platform won? I really didn't read through the article, but I guess they where looking for the best sports car masqurading as a S/CUV

• Like 1

but I guess they where looking for the best sports car masqurading as a S/CUV

Sure seems that way. And going by early sales indicators, it goes to show how out of touch Motor Trend is with the buying public. As for torque steer, don't know how it is in the Explorer, but it's not bad at all in my Edge at WOT even with more power than the Explorer.

• Like 2

I've experienced rediculous and unacceptable torque steer on the Edge and Flex and i've mentioned that before on here. Being the Explorer is closely related to the Flex moreso, I would figure they would have addressed the issue by this point. Its a shame really. Everyone will have a different experience with the Explorer and most have praised it's ride, interior quality, and technology. I'm not concerned about MT's rants really. I do find it comical that they picked the CX9 which from all those vehicles, I find it to be (one of the) crudest amongst them. I have driven the Cx9 a bit, and it does have it's good point, but it's cabin materials and presentation, and comfort level of it's interior is a generation behind and in due for a good NVH tweaking. As For Ford, it'll teach them not to give a pre-production unit that's not really to be critisized.

Kudos to Mazda! :happy feet:

The CX-9 is one of the very few midsize or larger SUV/"crossover" type vehicles that's actually enjoyable to drive.

Ouch! Finishing 4 spots behind the Dodge.....I hope this test is an anomoly, the complaints on the ride are disturbing, even in a pre-production model.

I know MT sucks, but bad press is bad press.

I've experienced rediculous and unacceptable torque steer on the Edge and Flex and i've mentioned that before on here.

I guess I just don't "get" torque steer then or why people complain about it. I slam the gas in my Edge, it goes straight. Is there something I'm missing here?

If you slam on the gas, turn into a sharp curve, spin 360, then try to turn again going into a slalom, you'll definitely feel that ridiculous torque steer that is completely unacceptable

I guess I just don't "get" torque steer then or why people complain about it. I slam the gas in my Edge, it goes straight. Is there something I'm missing here?

IF the poor finish was the result of a pre-production model being tested, then shame on Ford for sending them one.

You make an excellent point. Ford should not have sent an inferior product for testing if there was a superior alternative available. A novice should have known better. By the way, we have an Edge AWD and have never experienced any torque steer problem. And, I do know what that experience is as I have had it with other FWD vehicles.

I drove a new Explorer XLT 4WD when I picked up my new MKZ and can surely attest to there being no torque steer evident whatsoever. In the MKS sometimes I get the slightest hint of torque steer but it is never anything to write home about. Also I have had both a Taurus and Sable (both with the Duratec) and while yes torque could be sometimes detected it was never an issue for me, if one finds it difficult to keep control of those cars because of the torque steer they shouldn't be driving in my opinion. I have driven vehicles with ungodly torque so I have a very good idea what it is.

In the previous tests that Motor Trend has done with the new Explorer they never once reported an issue with torque steer and nor has any other publication for that matter.

Edited by stpatrick90

Was Ford late with their advertising payments to MT? Did Ford send them a pre-production unit for a comparison test or was this an evaluation unit that MT decided to use for a comparison test? Either way, MT shouldn't of used a pre-production unit to compare against production units, period.

• Like 1

If you slam on the gas, turn into a sharp curve, spin 360, then try to turn again going into a slalom, you'll definitely feel that ridiculous torque steer that is completely unacceptable

and thats the way everyone is supposed to drive correct?.....theres only one way torque steer rears its head...driving like a moron....and this is from someone that had a tweeked 210hp Cooper S.....and guess what happens if you drive the same way in a RWD?....yep...the backend steps out...so pick your poison should you decide to push envelopes....

Does your wheel pull to one side when you do that? Are you fighting with it?

If it does, it's certainly not to the point that I notice it enough to complain about it. And remember I also own a 460+ RWHP Mustang, so I know how a strong RWD vehicle behaves in comparison.

Edited by NickF1011

IF the poor finish was the result of a pre-production model being tested, then shame on Ford for sending them one.

Being a print mag, this was done months and months ago and Ford may not have had the line up yet. If the MT guys said "hey we're doing our first big comparo with the Explorer" and Ford didn't have any production Expys built, they were instantly screwed. MT wasn't going to delay the print deadline to give them time, and if Ford begged off MT would hammer them in the print for "hiding" their new vehicle. So they sent what they had and crossed their fingers.

Considering "unrefined chassis" and "torque steer" are their two biggest gripes, and are also two things I've not seen so heavily criticized by any review of a production/near-production Explorer, I think MT does its readers a disservice by doing the comparison when they did and then not stressing the Explorer's unfinished state. But they're in business to sell issues, not to be fair. And nothing says "sales" to old-school marketing scumbags quite like one of the heavy favorites finishing dead last.

• Like 1

I wonder if the poll is more determined by peoples like of the styling of the Explorer, or if the good press Ford has had recently has swayed people this direction. Personally, I wouldn't want any of the models tested, but would most likely choose the Durango or Explorer if I had to choose.

And dang, guess the loyalists are out in numbers on this thread. The Explorer did poorer than the others, whether it was a Pre-Production model or not. This is what Ford provided, so that is what MT based their tests on.

Now I'm no MT fan, nor CR or many other rags. But in the end, there is always a little truth about the product and it's drawbacks. SAnd I do think the Explorer should be more respectable than last place.

From my experience with test driving a few Flex AWD's and driving my father-in-laws 2010 Taurus SEL AWD quite a bit, there is a noticeable amount of torque steer. Sure not as much as my wife's '04 Altima, but it is very noticeable. I did take one Explorer for a test drive, but not enough seat time to notice the issue. Being the Explorer is built on the same platform, it doesn't surprise me that MT spoke on this item. And if it was the worst offender of the group, it'll surely be noted. Wobbly at speed, is not a good thing. Also, I totally agree with the spaciousness point, as my father-in-laws Taurus feels no larger on the inside than the wife's Altima, especially in the front two seats.

Bad showing for Ford.

Edited by V8-X

And dang, guess the loyalists are out in numbers on this thread. The Explorer did poorer than the others, whether it was a Pre-Production model or not. This is what Ford provided, so that is what MT based their tests on.

Seems like most of the complants where with quaitly issues that where directly contributial to being pre-production unit. Considering that most car reviews are written at least 60-90 days out..the Explorer didn't hit the dealer lots till very late in December. Like its been stated before, did Ford provide the car knowing it was going into a compairson test or was it a early prototype intended for a first look pressed into service?

Seems over the years that car mags get prototypes from Ford more often then not when they first come out...I seem to remember similar complants about the 2010 Taurus SHO when it was being reviewed and none of the issues mentioned there exisited on reviewes done on actual production cars. Perhaps Ford should hold back till they get real production products out for review instead of trying to impress them with prototypes without the bugs ironed out.

And he makes one final point on which we all agree: "Give me knobs for volume, tuning, and temp. Please." Still, it must be said the optional Sony-branded controls look fantastic.

This has to be the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this complaint about MyFord touch, which simply isn't true.

How in the world do they gloss over the huge round knob for volume, and buttons inside that knob for tuning? The temp buttons are touch capactifve on the main control panel also.

If you are going to slam MyFord touch once again, fine. But don't give false information to embellish the issue.

Of course they don't mention most of the MyFord Touch issues they bring up have been fixed by a flash update.

It's got to be hell being on the cutting edge of technology, and getting slammed because the magazine that just reviewed your vehicle wants to "generate buzz". The Explorer is better than that, and it shows in every other review I have read, and also in sales which is what matters most.

Sure seems that way. And going by early sales indicators, it goes to show how out of touch Motor Trend is with the buying public. As for torque steer, don't know how it is in the Explorer, but it's not bad at all in my Edge at WOT even with more power than the Explorer.

What does "not bad at all" mean? Also, in comparison to your RWD Mustang, how bad is it? The torque steer in my Duratec Taurus is annoying if I really get hard on the throttle. And it doesn't have 290hp and torque like the Explorer. And my Boxster doesn't have any torque steer at all as tach needle climbs to 7000 RPM. :happy feet: IMO, the Jeep GC and Durango are best in class as Ford joined the FWD biased crowd.

• Like 1

This has to be the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this complaint about MyFord touch, which simply isn't true.

How in the world do they gloss over the huge round knob for volume, and buttons inside that knob for tuning? The temp buttons are touch capactifve on the main control panel also.

If you are going to slam MyFord touch once again, fine. But don't give false information to embellish the issue.

Of course they don't mention most of the MyFord Touch issues they bring up have been fixed by a flash update.

It's got to be hell being on the cutting edge of technology, and getting slammed because the magazine that just reviewed your vehicle wants to "generate buzz". The Explorer is better than that, and it shows in every other review I have read, and also in sales which is what matters most.

You Ford slappies can beat up on the auto reviewers all you want, but I'll tell you what....I want to replace my Taurus with probably and 2nd or third year new generation Focus, and I don't want MFT touch at all. Just give me normal switch gear and 12 volt plug for my Tom Tom and I'm all set. You can have that smudged up looking touch pad.

• Like 2

What does "not bad at all" mean? Also, in comparison to your RWD Mustang, how bad is it? The torque steer in my Duratec Taurus is annoying if I really get hard on the throttle. And it doesn't have 290hp and torque like the Explorer. And my Boxster doesn't have any torque steer at all as tach needle climbs to 7000 RPM. :happy feet: IMO, the Jeep GC and Durango are best in class as Ford joined the FWD biased crowd.

By not bad at all I mean not bad at all. I don't even notice it. Any corrections I might subconsciously make to keep the vehicle pointed straight go entirely unnoticed by me. :shrug:

The Mustang, by comparison, certainly takes a lot more concentration to keep pointed straight at WOT from a stop. ;)

You can have that smudged up looking touch pad.

Thank you. I will. I won't ever want another new vehicle without similar technology. As for the smudges, they are harldly noticable in almost any lighting condition. Of course, the first thing I bought for my Edge was a screen protector, which did cut down on smudges in the first place. Plus now it easily wipes down with any smooth, lint-free cloth (I keep one for my sunglasses in the car anyway --- it works great on it).