The Ranger

Tom D

People can say that the market for small/midsize trucks has dried up but you can also argue that the reason it dried up is because the manufacturers decided not to update their products in this segment. Why would they do that? Let me guess, because they wanted to push buyers out of the segment and into more profitable vehicles like full size trucks and SUVs? The Ranger is the prime example of that. The 2011 model looks a helluva lot like a 93 Ranger and pretty much drives like one too. Makes me want to run out and buy one... :shades:

• Like 1

Further the dimensions inside of the cab of all of these vehicles are quite uncomfortable for anyone over 5 feet tall.

I'm 6' 2" (the last time I checked, that was over 5') and a "full-grown American man," so to speak, and the driver's seat of my '95 Ranger standard cab was quite comfortable.

Even though GM took the Camaro off the market they didn't leave the segment (Sports Cars) entirely.

The Camaro isn't a "sports car," and never has been (just ask any Camaro owner). When GM killed the F-Bodies, they abandoned that segment completely--the Mustang was the only car left in it until the return of the Challenger and Camaro. The closest thing they had in their US lineup was the Corvette, but $50K+ cars can hardly be said to be in the same segment as $20K-$40K cars.

• Like 1

People can say that the market for small/midsize trucks has dried up but you can also argue that the reason it dried up is because the manufacturers decided not to update their products in this segment.

And they decided not to update their product because there was a mass exodus over to SUVs and CUV where they could make more money,

Causality, one feeds off the other, the aging product recedes as the new products gain sales eroding the business plan of the old product.

And you're right it's all a sinister plot to make more money.....

I'm 6' 2" (the last time I checked, that was over 5') and a "full-grown American man," so to speak, and the driver's seat of my '95 Ranger standard cab was quite comfortable.

I'd like to know how that works...I can't fit into a standard cab Ranger....and I'm the same height as you.

I fit into a Extended cab one alright though....

It looks as though GM will build the new Colorado Pick Up in the USA as part of a $2.5 billion contract package with the UAW.

If there is a market for a mid sized Truck, then GM and Toyota will have it all to themselves as Ford exits the sector with no

Ranger update planned but will they offer a US Transit as Van, Pick up and cutaway as an alternative?

It looks as though GM will build the new Colorado Pick Up in the USA as part of a $2.5 billion contract package with the UAW.

If there is a market for a mid sized Truck, then GM and Toyota will have it all to themselves as Ford exits the sector with no

Ranger update planned but will they offer a US Transit as Van, Pick up and cutaway as an alternative?

Linky:

http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-may-build-new-midsize-pickup-in-u-s-%E2%80%93-is-it-the-new-chevrolet-colorado-119451.html

chevrolet-colorado-rally-concept-front-three-quarter2-623x389.jpg

Keep turbodiesel and manual tranny, ditch the Avalanche-style cheesy plastic cladding.

Linky:

http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-may-build-new-midsize-pickup-in-u-s-%E2%80%93-is-it-the-new-chevrolet-colorado-119451.html

chevrolet-colorado-rally-concept-front-three-quarter2-623x389.jpg

Keep turbodiesel and manual tranny, ditch the Avalanche-style cheesy plastic cladding.

That might be a very nice product. Considering Toyota and Nissan really haven't invested much into their smaller trucks and Ford is pulling out of the market, GM might do pretty well with it.

That might be a very nice product. Considering Toyota and Nissan really haven't invested much into their smaller trucks and Ford is pulling out of the market, GM might do pretty well with it.

Will strong sales of a new US built Colorado spark Ford to compete?

Watch this space, after the UAW contract is signed of course....

Will strong sales of a new US built Colorado spark Ford to compete?

Or maybe weak sales will convince Ford they made the right decision........

I just don't see this putting up big sales numbers nor commanding premium prices. I think it will be mildly successful and sell with either a really low msrp or lots of incentives. It will keep the workers employed but I doubt it will make much money.

I can't wait to see what Ford has planned for a smaller fuel efficient pickup. I expect we'll hear something by this time next year.

I just don't see this putting up big sales numbers nor commanding premium prices. I think it will be mildly successful and sell with either a really low msrp or lots of incentives. It will keep the workers employed but I doubt it will make much money.

I can't wait to see what Ford has planned for a smaller fuel efficient pickup. I expect we'll hear something by this time next year.

Or maybe the all-new 25mpg+ Colorado will start cannibalizing F-150 sales because lots of people don't want/need anything that massive. It could also recover buyers who wanted mid-size pickups, but settled for SUV's/CUV's because 16-18mpg was not acceptable for commuting.

Or maybe the all-new 25mpg+ Colorado will start cannibalizing F-150 sales because lots of people don't want/need anything that massive. It could also recover buyers who wanted mid-size pickups, but settled for SUV's/CUV's because 16-18mpg was not acceptable for commuting.

Could. Might. Maybe. With compact cars getting 27-30 city and 35-40 hwy plus hybrids getting even more it will be difficult to sell these on fuel mileage. And that was backed up by what happened the last few years as gas prices went up.

I'm sure it would garner some Ranger and import trade-ins but I just don't think there is a big enough market for these any more to put up huge numbers or profits.

Sounds like this would only exist to keep the factory running and workers employed (which isn't a bad thing but it's certainly not going to add much to the bottom line).

And if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

I also think Ford will have something competitive in this market by the time the GM version arrives.

Let me explain,

A better plan would be to update the aging E Series Van with and Americanized Transit, this would also allow the opportunity

to build the companion Transit cut away and pick up to add extra volume to the line, maybe the Transit pick up becomes

the new F100 and available with Ecoboost I-4 and V6 engines...

If keenly priced, it could fill the $20K to $35K price range - an area Ford does need to exploit as there is still good sales potential there..

IMO, Transit in Van, Cut Away and Pick Up would be of more help than replacing the current Ranger with T6 Ranger and its companion SUV........

Edited by jpd80

Does anyone know why ford has not re-designed the chassis to accommodate a crew cab? I feel like that would make the ranger more appealing to someone like myself. I am in my late twenties and plan on having children soon, a crew cab is a must to ensure proper offspring transport!

Does anyone know why ford has not re-designed the chassis to accommodate a crew cab? I feel like that would make the ranger more appealing to someone like myself. I am in my late twenties and plan on having children soon, a crew cab is a must to ensure proper offspring transport!

Ford already did that:

9531-a.jpg

But you could only buy them in Mexico.

• 1 month later...

What could have been:

ranger-630-1300473474.jpg

LOL JDP

Just had a look at the Ford UK website we are getting your new Ranger this month JPD, it should sell well against the new Hilux, Toyota look like they have completely buggered up the front end it looks an absolute abortion torque is a piss poor 243 Nm compared to 375 Nm on the smaller diesel Ranger. Your Ranger only slips ups a little on MPG its 37.2 combined against 38.7 combined on the Hilux which won't bother to many British buyers as they prefer the smaller engines with max torque being the primary attraction. Only thing l did not like so much as the out going model was the way the rear cab window slopes up at the bottom l prefer a nice big radius with it flat in the rear corner but that would not bother me as l prefer the single cab with the much bigger more practical bed.

LOL JDP

Just had a look at the Ford UK website we are getting your new Ranger this month JPD, it should sell well against the new Hilux, Toyota look like they have completely buggered up the front end it looks an absolute abortion torque is a piss poor 243 Nm compared to 375 Nm on the smaller diesel Ranger. Your Ranger only slips ups a little on MPG its 37.2 combined against 38.7 combined on the Hilux........................

Diesel engines are the same as Transit, I'm not expecting Ranger to be a major work truck seller in Europe,

more like a lifestyle vehicle with plenty of profit attached....