The Ranger

Tom D

Nobody makes a compelling small truck? Seriously? Now you're just grasping at straws.

Nope. As previously stated, Tacoma and Frontier are the best options, but they are still outdated and provide no better fuel mileage than a full-size. They are pathetic options.

If you want a "family compatible" (aka, 4 door) pickup from Ford, you're looking at trucks priced well over $30k with high step-up (short women, children, elderly) and so huge they don't fit in the garage.

Hmm, I moved up to F150's (2002 & 2006 models) from Rangers (1985 & 1999) because I have a family and needed more room. My wife, nor my 3 kids have issues with the step-up height. And I don't have a huge garage, but my F150 fits just fine with a couple feet front & back to spare. But it is tight in the garage opening the doors when the wife is parked in there. Oh, and my F150 Screw did MSRP over $35K, but bought for under $28K. Who the heck pays MSRP in this day and age?

But I do agree, Ford needs an entry truck in the compact/mid-size category with 4 doors and a full-size bed, and an updated motor(s).

You have a point. I remember in the late 90's early 2000's where the Big 3 forgot about their car lines and put everything into SUV's. It did come back to bite them hard years later.

Yup, and Ford appears to be doing it again with CUV's now. But at least they are offering some decent cars now too.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

Living in Allentown, Pa. I see many pick ups. So many are used by families as their daily drivers. Many, many full-sized 4WD/4dr units are out there. But I think it's overkill. That much vehicle is just not really needed every day, is it? I don't know a thing about it. The closest I ever came to owning a truck was an '88 Aerostar, I faithful vehicle I loved. But it's usefulness wore thin when it sucked gas and needed constant care with it's weak a/c unit and having no balls to get up speed. I drove a 4 cyl./5-speed 94 Ranger with the idea of buying it. It was an unforgiving and uncomfortable drive. At the time my daily driver was an '87 Taurus GL which was awesome for me. Okay, small pick ups can be fixed with new and old technology. For those who don't need ultra power and towing capacity, build a low slung crossover truck with a big cab and an 8 foot bed. Okay, that's a silly idea. But what about those other small Ford trucks built elsewhere in the world? Imagine one with a thrifty turbo-diesel! Yeah, I know nothing about it. But I'd sure love to take a pick up fishing up into the Poconos to carry a small boat (no trailer) and all my stuff. I'd love the last F series that had the in-line 6 with a 5-speed. But that's livin' in the past.

U.S. News & World Report says that the Suzuki Renegade is the best small pick up for the money. My problem with any and all of this small pick up stuff is that it's too much money for them. How the hell can you buy a small truck and pay nearly 25 thousand for it? It's Outrageous

Edited by 156n3rd

• 1 month later...

Ford is going to regret dropping the Ranger, seeing as GM has redesigned the Colorado. There is still a market for small pickups and trying to replace a compact pickup with a full size $35,000+ truck is not my idea of a "replacement"

They'll save way more by closing the factory than they could have made by investing in updating the current Ranger. The small pickup market just isn't big enough any more and Ford has better things to spend money on right now.

It should be painfully obvious by now that when it comes to the light truck market in North America Ford has chosen to take the short term profit route over any concern about long term customer loyalty. They made a similar decision not that many years ago with the passenger car market. Many loyal customers switched to other brands, mostly Asian, because Ford as well as the other domestic brands chose not to offer competitive vehicles. At the same time fuel prices doubled causing buyers to abandon the domestic cash cows. They are only now beginning to return to the passenger car market with decent products but it will take years, if ever, to re-establish the customer base they sacrificed. They found a way to make money in the passenger car market again by taking advantage of their global strengths. There is no reason why Ford cannot do the same with light trucks. In spite of what people on this board who don't own a truck or have any intention of ever owning a truck would want us to believe size does matter and buyers who want something that fits their needs will buy it elsewhere if Ford chooses not to compete in their market. Bill Ford has said they cannot become complacent or lose focus as they have so many times in the past. I hope he is paying attention because based on every official statement from Ford it sure looks like they are headed down the same path with the light truck market at a time when fuel efficiency and size have become selling points. The fact that V-6 sales of the F-150 are so strong only proves that point. Imagine what sales would be like if they offered similar drivetrains in an even more efficiently sized package.

All-new model range: three cab styles, two body styles, four model variants; three engine and three transmission choices

4x2, 4x2 Hi-Rider and 4x4 available

Compelling value: equipment-rich and competitively priced

First models in Australian showrooms this October

Melbourne, Australia, 5 September, 2011 – Ford Australia today announced Australian Manufacturer’s List Pricing (MLP) and specifications for its all-new Ranger model range.

"Designed from the ground up, this highly anticipated all-new model range, available in both 4x2 and 4x4, has been comprehensively developed to meet the specific needs of Australian ute and light truck customers," Bob Graziano, President and CEO of Ford Australia said.

"Achieving this meant an Australian-based four-year development programme involving almost 500 engineers from around the Ford world. It also involved exhaustive testing in some of the world's harshest operating environments.

"The result: the all-new Ford Ranger is capable, comfortable, powerful, fuel-efficient and includes outstanding safety features.

"It has been designed, engineered and produced to be a leader in its segment and I am certain our customers will agree the moment they get behind the wheel," he said.

Australia will be the first of 180 international markets to release the all-new Ford Ranger when the first models go on sale locally in October.

Australian model range

Australian customers will be able to select from a variety of engines, cab styles, body styles and drive configurations. These are detailed below.

Cab styles

Three cab styles will be available:

Double cab (four doors): offering car-like comfort and a cabin large enough to seat up to five people

Super cab (two conventional doors; two rear panel doors): a spacious interior optimised by two conventional doors partnered with the convenience of two opening rear panel doors and no B-pillar, giving easy access behind the front seats

Single cab (two doors): technology, comfort and load space capability in a well-appointed workhorse

Body styles

Two body styles will be available:

Pick-up

Cab-chassis

Engines

An all-new family of engines will power the all-new Ranger model line-up. They are:

3.2-litre Duratorq TDCi five-cylinder turbo-diesel engine with a maximum torque of 470 Nm and power rated at 147 kW

2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine with a peak torque output of 375 Nm and maximum power output of 110 kW

2.5-litre Ford Duratec four-cylinder petrol engine producing 226 Nm of torque and an outstanding 122kW of power.

Transmissions

For the first time, turbo-diesel Ranger models will be available with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission to provide reduced engine rpm and extend driving range on long highway trips or in city traffic. Petrol models will have a standard-fitment five-speed manual transmission.

Driveline configurations

The all-new Ranger will be available in 4x2 and 4x4 drive configurations. Added to this will be a 4x2 Hi-Rider variant, which offers 4x2 drive with the same height and ground clearance as the 4x4 model.

Convenient electronic shift "on-the-fly" (ESOF) is fitted to all 4x4 models and allows the driver to move between high-range two-wheel drive, high-range four-wheel drive and low-range four-wheel drive using only a centre console-mounted switch.

For maximum traction in off-road conditions, an electronic locking rear differential is fitted to all Wildtrak and XLT 4x4 models as standard equipment. This feature will also be available for the XL 4x4 manual as a factory-fitted option with an MLP of $500. This easy-to-use feature is activated by a simple dashboard-mounted button.

Safety

All models in the all-new Ranger line-up come fitted with a raft of active and passive safety features, including:

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Roll-over Mitigation (ROM); Hill Launch Assist (HLA); traction control; load adaptive control; and trailer sway control

Anti-lock brakes (ABS)

Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)

Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)

Emergency brake lights (that flash during an emergency braking manoeuvre)

Driver and front passenger airbags will be standard equipment on all models. Front seat side airbags and curtain airbags will be standard equipment on all models except the XL single cab chassis, where it will be optionally available for vehicles fitted with front bucket seats.

Driver and passenger Beltminder will be standard on all models, except XL single cab chassis which has a standard driver Beltminder and optional passenger Beltminder

Model variants

The all-new Ranger's model series is designed to offer customers great value and the right vehicle for their needs. The model series is summarised below.

XL

A modern and well-appointed worker loaded with value and capability. Features include:

16-inch steel wheels

Bluetooth®1 with voice control

MP3 and iPod2 connectivity

4.2-inch multi-function dashboard-mounted colour screen

Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted buttons

Power front windows and exterior rear-vision mirrors

Remote keyless entry

XLT

Outstanding truck credentials in a refined and feature-rich package. Features over the XL include:

17-inch alloy wheels

Locking rear differential

Rain-sensing windscreen wipers

Dual-zone climate control

Electrochromatic rear-vision mirror

Rear parking sensors

Tray bedliner with integrated 12V socket (double cab only)

Polished rear roll bar

Towbar

Privacy glass

Cooled centre console

- Wildtrak

A sporty double-cab pick-up packed with the latest in-car comfort, convenience and technology. Features over the XLT include:

18-inch alloy wheels

Satellite navigation with 5-inch multi-function dashboard-mounted colour display

Rear-view camera with display in interior rear-view mirror

Combined leather and fabric upholstery

Eight-way power front seats, heated

Unique sports bar and roof rails

The 4x2 Hi-Rider pick-up models will be available in all three body styles and XL specification. In XLT specification it will only be available with a super cab body. Opting for the 4x2 hi-rider version in XL specification gives customers the following features:

Higher ride height for improved ground clearance

Volumetric alarm

Front seat side airbags and curtain airbags for both outer occupant seating rows (super- and double-cab models)

Hi-Rider decal (super cab only)

Australian Manufacturer’s List Pricing

The all-new Ranger's Australian MLPs are summarised below. *All prices stated below are Manufacturer's List Price and include GST and LCT (where applicable) but exclude all on-road costs including registration, stamp duty, compulsory third party insurance, any other applicable statutory charges and dealer delivery fee.

Ranger_Pricing.jpg

Where noted as an available option, the six-speed automatic transmission has an MLP of $2,000 for both 4x2 and 4x4 models.

+Cab-chassis models do not include a rear tray. Customers are advised to check with an authorised Ford dealer for tray pricing closer to the all-new Ranger's release date.

Australian model release timing

The first models to be released in Australia this October will be the 3.2-litre turbo-diesel-powered double cab 4x4 in both XL and XLT specification. All other models will be introduced between October 2011 and quarter one 2012.

It should be painfully obvious by now that when it comes to the light truck market in North America Ford has chosen to take the short term profit route over any concern about long term customer loyalty. They made a similar decision not that many years ago with the passenger car market. Many loyal customers switched to other brands, mostly Asian, because Ford as well as the other domestic brands chose not to offer competitive vehicles. At the same time fuel prices doubled causing buyers to abandon the domestic cash cows. They are only now beginning to return to the passenger car market with decent products but it will take years, if ever, to re-establish the customer base they sacrificed. They found a way to make money in the passenger car market again by taking advantage of their global strengths. There is no reason why Ford cannot do the same with light trucks. In spite of what people on this board who don't own a truck or have any intention of ever owning a truck would want us to believe size does matter and buyers who want something that fits their needs will buy it elsewhere if Ford chooses not to compete in their market. Bill Ford has said they cannot become complacent or lose focus as they have so many times in the past. I hope he is paying attention because based on every official statement from Ford it sure looks like they are headed down the same path with the light truck market at a time when fuel efficiency and size have become selling points. The fact that V-6 sales of the F-150 are so strong only proves that point. Imagine what sales would be like if they offered similar drivetrains in an even more efficiently sized package.

This. $4 gas is here to stay. The next oil crisis will spike prices well over $5. With nothing smaller/more efficient than the 20mpg F-150, buyers will go somewhere else (and not Explorer/Transit Connect like Ford execs seem to think)

Ford has been on a pretty good streak lately. Hopefully Ford management is smart enough to realize the difference between declining small truck sales because "there's no demand" and declining small truck sales because every manufacturer uses that segment as dumping ground for 20 year old technology.

Anyone who thinks Ford is walking away from this market segment is most likely mistaken. We just haven't seen the new model yet. It is most likely tied to the next gen T6 and/or F150.

The problem with Ford cars is they abandoned the platforms which is not the case with the Ranger - the global platform exists if it's needed - it just needs to be tweaked for the N.A. market.

But I have a feeling we'll see something very different with the new F series - either stand alone or combined with T6 somehow.

Aye lads. I've heard the next Ranger will be the most wicked and foul tempered rodent you've ever laid eyes on! . :hide: It shall have a bi-turbocharged ten cylinder diesel with enough power :flexing: to pull hell right out of the ground. :devil2: Either a six speed manual or an eight speed twin clutch automatic gearbox shall reside beneath ye foot. :peelout: It'll weigh over 438 stone, be seven feet tall, and shoot fireballs out of it's arse! :extinguish:

Edited by ClutchTime
  • Like 1

This. $4 gas is here to stay. The next oil crisis will spike prices well over $5. With nothing smaller/more efficient than the 20mpg F-150, buyers will go somewhere else (and not Explorer/Transit Connect like Ford execs seem to think)

Ford has been on a pretty good streak lately. Hopefully Ford management is smart enough to realize the difference between declining small truck sales because "there's no demand" and declining small truck sales because every manufacturer uses that segment as dumping ground for 20 year old technology.

Well the fact that they were able to sell 6,200 Rangers last month with a 29 year old chassis with a front suspension and frame change in 1998, 18 year old sheet metal, 16 year old interior and an unrefined 4 cylinder and a gas guzzling V6 that tells me there is a market, but nothing desirable is being offered at the present time. Even the class leaders like Tacoma are becoming outdated and don't really offer a compelling reason to purchase.

Well the fact that they were able to sell 6,200 Rangers last month with a 29 year old chassis with a front suspension and frame change in 1998, 18 year old sheet metal, 16 year old interior and an unrefined 4 cylinder and a gas guzzling V6 that tells me there is a market, but nothing desirable is being offered at the present time. Even the class leaders like Tacoma are becoming outdated and don't really offer a compelling reason to purchase.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with people who want to buy one before they disappear.........

I'm sure it has nothing to do with people who want to buy one before they disappear.........

Well every other small truck on the market is more modern then the Ranger and it is outselling all of them except the Tacoma. It makes you wonder exactly how bad all of them are if a vehicle that old is outselling all of them except one. Unless that many people are buying them only because they are loyal to Ford it just proves how bad all of the small pickups in the US are right now. People say that no matter how good a small pickup is you can't sell it in the US. I disagree.

Imagine if any other vehicle category had such poor choices... Do you think it would be doing any better? I doubt it.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Well every other small truck on the market is more modern then the Ranger and it is outselling all of them except the Tacoma. It makes you wonder exactly how bad all of them are if a vehicle that old is outselling all of them except one. Unless that many people are buying them only because they are loyal to Ford it just proves how bad all of the small pickups in the US are right now. People say that no matter how good a small pickup is you can't sell it in the US. I disagree.

Imagine if any other vehicle category had such poor choices... Do you think it would be doing any better? I doubt it.

What part of "They're cancelling it in a few months and anybody who wants a new one has to buy it now" did you not comprehend? Why else would sales jump now?

What part of "They're cancelling it in a few months and anybody who wants a new one has to buy it now" did you not comprehend? Why else would sales jump now?

The Ranger has been outselling some of those "newer" pickups for years now. Did people start stocking up on Rangers 2 or 3 years ago? I doubt it. It is only selling well because everything else in the class is crap.

I know you will disagree with me, but don't you think it is a fair statement to say that any other vehicle category that had as poor of choices as the small pickup category would also be in decline? I can go though every vehicle category available in the US and I can't find one with as few and as poor of choices as the small pickup category. Whether you agree or not I do believe there is a market for someone who really wants to offer a compelling package to the consumer.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Ford was selling 50k+ Rangers a year without even trying. 50k sales of a horribly obsolete vehicle that only seats 2 adults... as a rule 2-seaters don't sell because only single people and retirees will buy them. Now factor in all the hundreds of thousands of Ranger owners just like me waiting for a reason to trade in their perfectly good little trucks. Why should I drop $20k on the exact same truck I own today? Shinier paint and new car smell? I don't think so...

Taurus production at HAP was just under 200,000/year and Ford didn't hesitate to cease production, Ford has turned away from low return sales

and is now far more focused on cutting production volume and employees, the plan is basically accountant driven but heck, you can't argue with

the massive turnaround that philosophy has brought to the company. Paying off $14 billion in debt and making $6 billion profit on fewer vehicles

means that Ford can pay more attention to its volume products and COMPETE with import brands. To the Ford execs, that is far more important

than keeping Jim Bob's favorite $16,000 truck..

We could follow GM's example with the Camaro. Discontinue it then bring it back a few years later when they realized they screwed up and have a great selling vehicle(I still prefer the Mustang, and not a fan of the Camaro in the least, but hey, its selling). Hopefully Ford would have learned from Government Motors mistake, but I guess unfortunately not. :( I also have a late '90's Ranger-like(Mazda B4000) truck and would even be happy with a engine upgrade that makes more power/better fuel economy. Others have said it would be too costly. HMMMMM just wonder how much it would take to put in a 3.7 or 3.5 which are already configured for rear and four wheel drive, it gets 23/16 in an F150, wonder how far off the mark 30mpg would be in a Ranger?

Edited by mkonecsni

We could follow GM's example with the Camaro. Discontinue it then bring it back a few years later when they realized they screwed up and have a great selling vehicle(I still prefer the Mustang, and not a fan of the Camaro in the least, but hey, its selling). Hopefully Ford would have learned from Government Motors mistake, but I guess unfortunately not. :( I also have a late '90's Ranger-like(Mazda B4000) truck and would even be happy with a engine upgrade that makes more power/better fuel economy. Others have said it would be too costly. HMMMMM just wonder how much it would take to put in a 3.7 or 3.5 which are already configured for rear and four wheel drive, it gets 23/16 in an F150, wonder how far off the mark 30mpg would be in a Ranger?

These numbers were already crunched:

25/18 MPG with the 3.5 liter in 4x4 trim

27/20 MPG with the Eco-boost 2.0 liter in 4x4 trim

The Eco-boost 1.6 liter in a 2x4 trim should break 30 MPG Est. 170HP

Edited by Mackintire

These numbers were already crunched:

25/18 MPG with the 3.5 liter in 4x4 trim

27/20 MPG with the Eco-boost 2.0 liter in 4x4 trim

The Eco-boost 1.6 liter in a 2x4 trim should break 30 MPG Est. 170HP

I'm from Canada, the gallons are bigger here, so here it would top 30 mpg. ;-) I'd go for the 3.5 with I'm guessing 265hp.

Edited by mkonecsni

Hi, I wanted to weigh in on this subject because at some point down the road I'll be in the market for a new truck in this segment. I generally start researching new vehicles several years in advance, yeah I take my time on decisions involving major purchases.

First let me mention that I've driven several Rangers at work and am given my opinions based off of those vehicles. The vehicle years were 1990, 1997, 2009, and 2010 in both standard and extended cab configurations, all were powered by the 4-cyl.

It's a shame that Ford has pretty much neglected these trucks over the years. They haven't undergone a major redesign in, well have they??? Further the dimensions inside of the cab of all of these vehicles are quite uncomfortable for anyone over 5 feet tall. Also the powertrain is shall we say... dated. On the plus side, it does seem like they've gotten the bugs worked out of the Ranger's motors as they are pretty dependable.

We could follow GM's example with the Camaro. Discontinue it then bring it back a few years later when they realized they screwed up and have a great selling vehicle

Now I could see Ford doing this but it will cost them. The problem is they are completely retreating out of the small/mid-sized pickup truck segment. Although this may lead to some upgrading to the F-150, pickup trucks have been growing over the years. My mid-sized Tacoma is as big as a 90's F-150, and the modern F-150's are as large as the 90's F-250's/commercial grade pickups! As a someone that is probably a typical small truck owner, I don't need anything that big. Figure most of us in this segment want AWD/4WD and the capability to do some light hauling, think things like top soil, rock salt, furniture, ect...

By leaving this segment entirely, Ford is going to lose customers to other brands. So what happens when they bring the Ranger, or something similar, back? How many customers will return? Sorry but I think Ford made a huge mistake by not redesigning this truck, and surrendering to their competitors.

Sorry but I think Ford made a huge mistake by not redesigning this truck, and surrendering to their competitors.

So you know exactly how much it would have cost Ford to upgrade the Ranger versus how much they'll save by shutting it down? And you know Ford's future plans for a smaller/ more fuel efficient truck?

Otherwise you really can't say Ford is making a mistake.

Doesn't seem like the Camaro's sales were hurt by it being gone for a few years.

• Like 1

Yeah, I say let's give it a year or too before we call out Ford. All we know is that the Ranger in it's current form has been discontinued. Doesn't mean there isn't a secret replacement in the works. New Ranger, F-100, T-6, who knows. Only time will tell. Ford is strong and making the money, so we'll just have to trust them.

So you know exactly how much it would have cost Ford to upgrade the Ranger versus how much they'll save by shutting it down? And you know Ford's future plans for a smaller/ more fuel efficient truck?

Otherwise you really can't say Ford is making a mistake.

Doesn't seem like the Camaro's sales were hurt by it being gone for a few years.

Even though GM took the Camaro off the market they didn't leave the segment (Sports Cars) entirely. Yet Ford only offers 1 vehicle, the Ranger, in this segment (Small/Mid-sized Truck), unless I'm missing something in their lineup. That is where I think they are making a mistake, as having nothing to offer will cost them sales.

Personally I'd like to see Ford put a competitive small truck on the market, even if it does cost them money to do so. Now if I'm not mistaken, isn't that what EVERY car manufacture has to do to put fresh products on the market anyway... :ohsnap: In any event, by the time I'm in the market for a new truck Ford will probably have something in the Small/Mid-sized Truck segment again.

Even though GM took the Camaro off the market they didn't leave the segment (Sports Cars) entirely. Yet Ford only offers 1 vehicle, the Ranger, in this segment (Small/Mid-sized Truck), unless I'm missing something in their lineup. That is where I think they are making a mistake, as having nothing to offer will cost them sales.

Personally I'd like to see Ford put a competitive small truck on the market, even if it does cost them money to do so. Now if I'm not mistaken, isn't that what EVERY car manufacture has to do to put fresh products on the market anyway... :ohsnap: In any event, by the time I'm in the market for a new truck Ford will probably have something in the Small/Mid-sized Truck segment again.

No, Mulally has decreed that every vehicle sold will make a profit, no loss leaders, no exceptions.....

Look at the small/light truck market, it has declined massively over the last 6-8 years, the bulk of

previous buyers have moved into other products (SUVs), not to competitors small truck products.

This is whay Ford is pulling the plug on Ranger, they want to invest into where buyers are going.

I'm from Canada, the gallons are bigger here, so here it would top 30 mpg. ;-) I'd go for the 3.5 with I'm guessing 265hp.

No we don't as we do not have gallons in Canada. Automakers willl use an English gallon to sell cars, but all of you fluid bought in store are 3.78 L: a US gallon.