MT tests Focus against 7 other cars

Positives:

Lago noted that the Focus Ti is "a textbook example of how important a good set of tires is. The Michelins transform this thing into a momentum car that's silly fun, with limits far higher than anything else here." Indeed, the combination of these sticky tires and best-in-test horsepower helped the Focus set the test's highest lateral acceleration, quickest figure-eight time, and shortest stopping distance.

Because the driving dynamics are solely reliant on what tire compounds a car has? It sounds like Motor trend is trying hard not to give the Focus credulity here.

Negatives:

The downside is that this cheater rubber raised substantial doubts about the driveability of regular Foci. Absent the extra stick, what would distract from a dual-clutch transmission dubbed "horrible" and "half-baked?"

"It's clunky at low speeds and rough when starting from a stop. To top it off, the shifts don't feel much faster than in any other auto in the group," noted Evans.

My link

Focus.png

I expect about a dozen or more blog entries defending this ranking.

It seems odd to me that there have been several complaints about the Ford transmission, shifting clunky at low speeds, slow shifts, etc. Yet the VW uses the same tranny right? Maybe Ford needs to revisit the software. I'm glad I ordered the 5 speed (just wish they had used a 6 spd. manual).

Also they praised the VW as being the fastest??? yet the Focus was faster in the quarter and to 100.

Lastly, I hardly find the interior of the Focus "gimmicky"

It is interesting to read all the various tests, how opinions can differ so much. All that really matters though is sales, and I feel strongly the Focus will hold it's own.

It seems odd to me that there have been several complaints about the Ford transmission, shifting clunky at low speeds, slow shifts, etc. Yet the VW uses the same tranny right? Maybe Ford needs to revisit the software. I'm glad I ordered the 5 speed (just wish they had used a 6 spd. manual).

Probably is software.

I don't think it's the same unit, because VW has had the DSG for about eight years now. PowerShift was developed in order to compete with it.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Had the MTX-75 5-speed manual transmission been available on the tested Focus Titanium, I'm sure it would have ranked higher in this comparison.

twmalonehunter, Volkswagen's DSG is a different design from the dual clutch transmission used in the Ford Focus and Fiesta. The former is a wet clutch design from Borg-Warner; the latter is a dry-clutch unit from Getrag. You are right, the Ford PowerShift could benefit from revised software; shift response is much more languid than the VW DSG, and it's downright annoying at low speeds just as Motor Trend indicated.

Magazine complaints about Ford transmissions are nothing new---and not worth regarding. Ford's adaptive shift logic works far better for vehicle owners than those who take crude pleasure in beating the crap out of press fleet vehicles.

Excluding Aisin AW units in Ford's CD3 and D3 cars, I have yet to experience a FWD automatic transaxle in a Ford vehicle that actually embodies good shift logic, "adaptive" or otherwise. It's not magazine reviewers' fault that this is the case.

Fortunately, Ford offers some excellent manual transmissions in its North American lineup. :happy feet: :shift:

Has your experience been with *your cars* or with rentals and corporate fleet cars? Because if the experience has been with rental cars or fleet cars, please see previous remark about the way people treat cars they don't own.

If it's been the cars of friends or family, it just might be possible that your driving style is different than theirs.

Excluding Aisin AW units in Ford's CD3 and D3 cars, I have yet to experience a FWD automatic transaxle in a Ford vehicle that actually embodies good shift logic, "adaptive" or otherwise. It's not magazine reviewers' fault that this is the case.

Fortunately, Ford offers some excellent manual transmissions in its North American lineup. :happy feet: :shift:

Never had a problem with the F-4EAT or 4F27E. Ford is plenty capable of designing a good transaxle, they just insist on outsourcing to Getrag.

Magazine complaints about Ford transmissions are nothing new---and not worth regarding. Ford's adaptive shift logic works far better for vehicle owners than those who take crude pleasure in beating the crap out of press fleet vehicles.

Is there a good resource describing Ford's adaptive shift logic, in a way that would make any sense as to why it would make shifting seem odd to people? I can't envision why changing shift points would make a transmission seem harsh under some circumstances.

Meh, MT is famous for changing their criteria from shootout to shootout in order to fit their agenda. Plus with the Focus flat out dominating every other shootout it's been in, MT probably wanted to be different to get attention.

It a sure sign that testers biases are creeping in when they think that supplying good tires is cheating...

What do they say about other manufacturers supplying so so tires on their products?

Not a peep.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Meh, MT is famous for changing their criteria from shootout to shootout in order to fit their agenda. Plus with the Focus flat out dominating every other shootout it's been in, MT probably wanted to be different to get attention.

I've noticed this as well. The Elantra has gotten dinged in every other comparo for having its "economy car roots show" throw excess noise, a buzzy engine and unimpressive fuel economy amongst other things but in this comparo it's the cream of the crop. And whats with the VW getting ahead of the Cruze and Focus? Isn't it a mid-size? And haven't other mags given it dead last placings and mocked it for a last gen interior and 2 generations old exterior?

What the hell was going on in this review?

Is there a good resource describing Ford's adaptive shift logic, in a way that would make any sense as to why it would make shifting seem odd to people? I can't envision why changing shift points would make a transmission seem harsh under some circumstances.

Here's the official Ford description:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2574

I believe the scenario in question would be an aggressive profile matched to situations where aggressive driving was not being practiced, or vice versa.

Since the DCT is essentially controlled by the PCM, I would imagine that it too is subject to Ford's ATC.

Personally if style and appearance were the only factors, I'd say the Focus would have won hands down, both inside and out. But MT did make some valid negative points, for all vehicles. Just seems like people here only want to harp on the negatives they expressed about the Focus. The Focus has some minor flaws (clunky trans, smallest interior, highest price tag [even if you get a lot for the $]), as all the vehicles in this segment have their downfalls.

Now I do question their #1 being the Elantra. Sure it may be a great initial purchase, but I know a few people who've bought one, and after so many miles, the cheapness and rattles start popping up frequently.

Because the driving dynamics are solely reliant on what tire compounds a car has? It sounds like Motor trend is trying hard not to give the Focus credulity here.

A lot can be said about a good set of rubber, so I wouldn't discount that. But it would look better if they had knocked others for not using better rubber. Of course the Focus having the sport suspension would have assisted some in the driving dynamics as well.

It seems odd to me that there have been several complaints about the Ford transmission, shifting clunky at low speeds, slow shifts, etc. Maybe Ford needs to revisit the software. I'm glad I ordered the 5 speed (just wish they had used a 6 spd. manual).

Also they praised the VW as being the fastest??? yet the Focus was faster in the quarter and to 100.

Ford has had off/on issues with their trans for years. So personally, this isn't a huge surprise to me.

Well, I'd state the VW is quicker, not faster. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times go to the VW (8.0 & 16.2). While the Focus (8.3 & 16.3) was only fractions behind. Which I'm sure a good driver reaction time could overcome those differences.

Edited by V8-X

Has your experience been with *your cars* or with rentals and corporate fleet cars?

Here's the official Ford description: http://media.ford.co...article_id=2574

Thanks for the info from Ford's site. Regarding the question, my experience has involved a combination of cars at dealerships, evaluation units sent to me from Ford, and a variety of fleet vehicles (I used to work in the fleet management field). My personal car (2010 Ford Fusion) has a manual transmission. Maybe it's my driving style, but even after thousands of miles in certain vehicles I've never had much luck getting FWD Ford cars with automatics to be both smooth and responsive in all driving situations. Furthermore, newer Fords with either the 6F or PowerShift seem to programmed to upshift into high gears very quickly unless one drives aggressively - not something I like.

The most notable exception IMO was a 2008 Fusion SEL V6 with 6-speed Aisin AW automatic. That automatic tranny was as smooth and responsive as any I've ever experienced; the 2006-2007 MY D3 cars I drove with that tranny were almost as good.

As soon as the emphasis for a car, is not on fuel economy, you will see programming change.

Basically, the programs for most new automatics are to get to the highest gear as fast as possible. This is for better fuel economy. The Cruze trans is slammed by most, including owners, for this very reason, as is the PowerShift. The interesting thing to note is that DSG's have rarely been the smoothest things out there, and I have heard plenty of bad about the VW DSG, yet here, it is praised. What a DSG is for, is not for Ferarri type of driving, but for the increase in economy over a standard auto. People point to it being a poor compromise, yet, standard autos like the Cruze have are also slammed for poor drivability.

So much for the DSG's only suck.

MT has started an anti-Ford trend. They see other publications praising Ford and Ford vehicles up oneside and down the other. MT readership is way down, so how do you fix this?? You go in the complete opposite direction to be different for the sake of being different. You then fashion a test to fit your conclusions.

In this case, a "best middle of the road compact" test. Huh?? They might as well have named it the "best doesn't suck too bad compact test."

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 1

You can't win them all... sounds like Focus would be a better contender if the transmission shift program were allowed to behave like a real DCT instead of mimicking a conventional 6 speed auto. I think Ford was concerned about MPG hit but I'm sure over time, they will be able to figure out a compromise.

Well, I'd state the VW is quicker, not faster. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times go to the VW (8.0 & 16.2). While the Focus (8.3 & 16.3) was only fractions behind. Which I'm sure a good driver reaction time could overcome those differences.

Driver reaction time has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times.