Consumers criticize Ford's new technologies

http://www.freep.com/article/20110620/BUSINESS01/106200361/Consumers-criticize-Ford-s-new-technologies?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Other complaints filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have mentioned "huge metallic noises when downshifting at slow speeds" or "dangerous gear changes causing the car to both surge and stall."So far, the complaints have not involved any injuries and are few -- about 10.

MyTouch Ford, meanwhile, has generated kudos from consumers who love to learn their way around the newest gadgetry.But some consumers have reported problems with the system's response to voice commands and a tendency to reboot at random. Others are confused by the way certain functions are laid out on the screen.Then, there are safety advocates who have criticized the system's potential to distract drivers from the road. So far, this has not led to a safety crisis, but it is irritating for customers who want to use a feature that seems more complicated than they want it to be.

Hmm seems more like teething/education problem then actual issues with the cars.

MyTouch Ford, meanwhile, has generated kudos from consumers who love to learn their way around the newest gadgetry.

There's nothing to see here, folks.

Not one reboot of my Sync since I got the last update. I've also determined that the iPod losing connection is the iPod's fault, not Sync's (It does it in my Mustang also I've discovered). About the only issue I have with it now is a bit of slowness on the voice command now and then. Touch screen response has gotten a lot better. Only improvement there I would do is perhaps make the buttons a little larger so they are easier to see and hit at a glance. :shrug:

MyLincoln Touch is much better with the software updates. It's still laggy and the poor touch screen responsiveness is still my biggest complaint about the hardware (not to mention the screen is just too small).

The UI definitely can use a better design and needs to be ALLOT snappier, but hopefully they don't abandon this effort altogether. The learning curve is steep, even for the tech savy it's a challenge learning your way around the layered menu system. It probably needs to be much simpler, they need to take a page out of Apple's playbook and remove things that don't work well or are not worth the confusion. Ford wants to sell cars with appealing features that add value for consumers, but they've got to make the right decisions for their long-term reputation.

Chrysler's U-connect system is actually a great example of a good touchscreen interface, it has a better UI and the hardware just works much better without any hint of lag. So a good system is possible, they just need to get the right people at Ford to clean it up.

The voice control system is not as usable as I hoped, it's just too slow and unreliable for the simpler tasks.

Still, I love the system now that it's largely bug free, but some of that is also learning to live with its inadequacies and focusing on only what works well. When you're like me, you spend allot of time trying to explore every corner of the system, and when it doesn't deliver a good experience in every possible way, it's going to be disappointment.

Edited by BORG

"We've seen minor glitches with services from OnStar, Sync and MyTouch Ford," said Brandy Schaffels, senior editor at Truecar.com. "The reliability and quality of a vehicle will be impacted by these, but it should not play an important role in the quality scores."

Doesn't the J.D. Power IQS consider both design issues and manufacturing defects?

Edited by aneekr

MyLincoln Touch is much better with the software updates. It's still laggy and the poor touch screen responsiveness is still my biggest complaint about the hardware (not to mention the screen is just too small).

The UI definitely can use a better design and needs to be ALLOT snappier, but hopefully they don't abandon this effort altogether. The learning curve is steep, even for the tech savy it's a challenge learning your way around the layered menu system. It probably needs to be much simpler, they need to take a page out of Apple's playbook and remove things that don't work well or are not worth the confusion. Ford wants to sell cars with appealing features that add value for consumers, but they've got to make the right decisions for their long-term reputation.

Chrysler's U-connect system is actually a great example of a good touchscreen interface, it has a better UI and the hardware just works much better without any hint of lag. So a good system is possible, they just need to get the right people at Ford to clean it up.

The voice control system is not as usable as I hoped, it's just too slow and unreliable for the simpler tasks.

Still, I love the system now that it's largely bug free, but some of that is also learning to live with its inadequacies and focusing on only what works well. When you're like me, you spend allot of time trying to explore every corner of the system, and when it doesn't deliver a good experience in every possible way, it's going to be disappointment.

It sounds to me like the system is overly complex for non tech savy people. I have no experience using it so I can't comment on the actual complexity. I get frustrated by the car reviews that slam MyFord touch when they haven't spent the required time learning the system. However, some people will never get it. Ford should have the system set up so the complexity can be changed. Have a basic setup, with simple on screen controls of the basic radio and Hvac functions....with simple steering wheel controls, something most people would be familiar with if they have driven any modern upscale car.

I would love MyFord touch and I am very disappointed that at this time the manual transmission in the Focus is only available on the SE. I would have opted for an SEL w/MyFord if I could have gotten the stick. I am hoping that the sync system in the SE is still pretty useful.

• Like 1

MyTouch software problem is in fact a actual car-issue. When folks pay for a vehicle that has it, it should work flawlessly, just like any other part of the car. Nobody should have to put up with any quirks.

I have no doubt, that ford is contiuing it's software upgrades in order for it to work properly, and as expected by customers.

• Like 2

It's really not that difficult to pin point which people will have problems with MFT. A simple question would be: Do you own a touch screen phone?

MyTouch software problem is in fact a actual car-issue. When folks pay for a vehicle that has it, it should work flawlessly, just like any other part of the car. Nobody should have to put up with any quirks.

I have no doubt, that ford is contiuing it's software upgrades in order for it to work properly, and as expected by customers.

• Like 1

I would love MyFord touch and I am very disappointed that at this time the manual transmission in the Focus is only available on the SE. I would have opted for an SEL w/MyFord if I could have gotten the stick. I am hoping that the sync system in the SE is still pretty useful.

The SYNC system in the Focus SE works well, unlike MyFordTouch. In fact, Car and Driver stated the Focus SE with the SE Sport package represented the "sweet spot" in the current U.S. Focus lineup precisely because it lacks MyFordTouch and can be configured without the PowerShift tranny.

I have the U-Connect in my 2011 Charger and it is absolutely perfect. There isn't a single thing I'd change about it. My wife loves it so much that she won't own another car that doesn't have a touch screen. Hopefully Ford gets their system right, because we're probably going to trade into another CUV when we decide to have kids.

It sounds to me like the system is overly complex for non tech savy people. I have no experience using it so I can't comment on the actual complexity. I get frustrated by the car reviews that slam MyFord touch when they haven't spent the required time learning the system. However, some people will never get it. Ford should have the system set up so the complexity can be changed. Have a basic setup, with simple on screen controls of the basic radio and Hvac functions....with simple steering wheel controls, something most people would be familiar with if they have driven any modern upscale car.

The system already has a simple setup for basic radio and HVAC functions. Touch the corner with the audio controls, you get a screen of very straight forward audio controls. Touch the corner for HVAC, you get a very straight foward screen of HVAC controls. If you don't want to see all the more complex controls, you won't.

HVAC screen:

11_MyFordTouch_03_Climate_Screen_HR.jpg

Audio screen:

myford-touch-audio-screen.jpg

What is complex about either of these?

Some of the buttons are a little small, which is one complaint I do have, but there definitely aren't too many of them.

The learning curve to figure out all but some of the most advanced functions was about 10 minutes for me. The analogy to the smart phone was spot on. If you have one, MFT is a cinch and second nature.

Edited by NickF1011

The system already has a simple setup for basic radio and HVAC functions. Touch the corner with the audio controls, you get a screen of very straight forward audio controls. Touch the corner for HVAC, you get a very straight foward screen of HVAC controls. If you don't want to see all the more complex controls, you won't.

HVAC screen:

11_MyFordTouch_03_Climate_Screen_HR.jpg

Audio screen:

myford-touch-audio-screen.jpg

What is complex about either of these?

Some of the buttons are a little small, which is one complaint I do have, but there definitely aren't too many of them.

The learning curve to figure out all but some of the most advanced functions was about 10 minutes for me. The analogy to the smart phone was spot on. If you have one, MFT is a cinch and second nature.

I wouldn't say it's smartphone simple, largely because it doesn't work as quickly or reliably. Actually, consumers use to a very responsive touchscreen are going to find this system very cumbersome and ancient.

The design of the quadrant system is pretty straightforward, but in practice it's not as simple or elegant as it sounds. There are often 3 back-up interfaces to juggle in the event one task is obscuring the other, however many heavily used features are only available on the touchscreen, which can be confusing to manage if you are not use to your options. So this constant re-orientation takes some getting use to when you're driving. To be honest, I have to say it took me about a month to feel like I knew how to use the UI effectively, but I certainly new how to use the system right away. In the end, the only real advantage to MyFord Touch has been the instrument cluster enhancements and the steering wheel controls, for me that is by far the biggest advancement in UI I've seen from ANY car-maker, although it's still very layered. I'm absolutely certain I would be happier with the system (now that I'm use to it) if it simply moved quickly and the display was bigger with bolder icons. I'd also like to see the climate control quadrant moved closer to the driver or more controls added to the instrument cluster.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

You should be okay. I find MFT simpler than the phone that my company gave me. As with any touch screen, you have to learn the feel of it. (Like you learn what pressure and the sensitivity to apply). If you used an iPad, you'll be just fine.

No, but I own a iPod Touch and have used an iPad.

I wouldn't say it's smartphone simple, largely because it doesn't work as quickly or reliably. Actually, consumers use to a very responsive touchscreen are going to find this system very cumbersome and ancient.

The design of the quadrant system is pretty straightforward, but in practice it's not as simple or elegant as it sounds. There are often 3 back-up interfaces to juggle in the event one task is obscuring the other, however many heavily used features are only available on the touchscreen, which can be confusing to manage if you are not use to your options. So this constant re-orientation takes some getting use to when you're driving. To be honest, I have to say it took me about a month to feel like I knew how to use the UI effectively, but I certainly new how to use the system right away. In the end, the only real advantage to MyFord Touch has been the instrument cluster enhancements and the steering wheel controls, for me that is by far the biggest advancement in UI I've seen from ANY car-maker, although it's still very layered. I'm absolutely certain I would be happier with the system (now that I'm use to it) if it simply moved quickly and the display was bigger with bolder icons. I'd also like to see the climate control quadrant moved closer to the driver or more controls added to the instrument cluster.

Personally I wouldn't want it to be hyper-sensitive like an iPhone, I think that the positive force is a good thing considering you are reaching out while the car is moving and sometimes a little bump can move your finger. The touch sensitive nature of the screen allows it be used with gloves on. On the iPhone that can be a little annoying in the winter, granted you can't do a whole lot with gloves on, but I can't even swipe to answer a call.

It's really not that difficult to pin point which people will have problems with MFT. A simple question would be: Do you own a touch screen phone?

It's not the MFT ,which is easy to use, but rather general stability and responsiveness i was referring to.

Acording to Consumer Reports, that is also the reason why it removed the MKX from it's recommendet vehicle list

It's not the MFT ,which is easy to use, but rather general stability and responsiveness i was referring to.

Acording to Consumer Reports, that is also the reason why it removed the MKX from it's recommendet vehicle list

Yes, it is the MFT interface ergonomics that they didn't like.

CR's testers looked at the system in the 2011 Lincoln MKX and Ford Edge SEL and found it to be a complicated distraction while driving. In addition, first-time users might find it impossible to comprehend.
  • Like 1