Lincoln vs. Lexus: The War is On

I don't think offering a 4 cylinder is any bit of a problem, just so long as the high end engines remain available as well. After all, it's not like the Mustang hasn't offered (far weaker) 4 cylinders in the past.

I really just don't see most foreign markets embracing such an American style vehicle in any huge volumes.

Outside of the US, the Mustang is seen as Ford's signature vehicle with hard core fans in UK and Aust paying ridiculous prices for right hand drive versions. In that instance, the V8 is the desirable engine but if you're looking to sell an efficient sports car then maybe lighter Capri is a better choice...I could imagine a re-paneled, lighter version with I-4 Ecoboost and 3.7 V6 could be marketed as the Capri and sold to the rest of the world....maybe FoA could do that project...

Edited by jpd80

my guess...and its a guess $700 upcharge.

Only if it has STELLAR fuel economy. The 3.5LEB commands the upcharge on the F150 because of the higher performance over the 3.7L. It has to either add performance or MPG to command a premium price.

Surely, Lincoln must get its own versions of Escape and Explorer while refreshed versions MKX and Navigator should promote more interest, Cars? I don't think you need much more than MKZ and MKS but a 2-door and 4-door coupe twin act based on Falcon-Mustang collaboration might yield low but very profitable sales...

Surely, Lincoln must get its own versions of Escape and Explorer while refreshed versions MKX and Navigator should promote more interest, Cars? I don't think you need much more than MKZ and MKS but a 2-door and 4-door coupe twin act based on Falcon-Mustang collaboration might yield low but very profitable sales...

MKExplorer seems to be a given. MKEscape is likely but I wouldn't say definite, I think there's a decent possibility that a MK-Max gets priority as Lincoln pushes for more Hybrids.

MKExplorer seems to be a given. MKEscape is likely but I wouldn't say definite, I think there's a decent possibility that a MK-Max gets priority as Lincoln pushes for more Hybrids.

• I had qualms about the MKexPlorer/Aviator until I recently tried chopping one ... and it came out looking "tuff-enuf" to make me remember there's no Hummer anymore :shades:

• the MKG/KuGa was practically definite for a long time but sooo quiet lately, who knows anymore. Tho I really thought the timing would be best if it came out before:

• my MKE sporty little Lincoln (which I want as a Hybrid) based on either the Focus or GrandC-Max chassis for that extra 'skosh' (and could be/havebeen the basis for the nextgen RS as well) ... think Fomoco once said Lincoln would LEAD the luxury segment in MPG (among other things) and haven't heard anything about that yet

so maybe an Energi based starship(let) is sounding more likely?

StarShips.gif

The Lincoln Escape is the only new product we know is coming, confirmed by Ford.

umm...

I've come to consider things "confirmed" when I see 'em at a dealership with a Monroney sticker on 'em

cough*G.C-M*cough

What I find ironic is how Lincoln will have it's product blitz, so is Inifiniti from an article I read this morning, Buick is having theres now...blitz, blitz blitz, yet looking out in the streets and on tv I see neuvo-poverty. I'm all for people wanting a piece of the pie but to be sustainable for Lincoln since it's mainly a domestic brand, most will have to stem from already existing Fords. Surely, Audi can sell just measly 105 R8s, only because worldwide they are probably selling much more, and same for other makers, so its a tougher challenge for Lincoln to have to create a new platform for what could potentially be just 10K sales of that vehicle, a year in NA.

What I find ironic is how Lincoln will have it's product blitz, so is Inifiniti from an article I read this morning, Buick is having theres now...blitz, blitz blitz, yet looking out in the streets and on tv I see neuvo-poverty. I'm all for people wanting a piece of the pie but to be sustainable for Lincoln since it's mainly a domestic brand, most will have to stem from already existing Fords. Surely, Audi can sell just measly 105 R8s, only because worldwide they are probably selling much more, and same for other makers, so its a tougher challenge for Lincoln to have to create a new platform for what could potentially be just 10K sales of that vehicle, a year in NA.

While I agree with you about the neuvo-poverty, the biggest area for Lincoln to grow is in the near luxury market, which most people can afford to lease, but Ford needs to work on making the MKZ and MKX more appealing then the Fusion and Edge respectively, so they can command a premium price over them.

The R8 also shares its platform with a lambo product...

. Surely, Audi can sell just measly 105 R8s, only because worldwide they are probably selling much more, and same for other makers, so its a tougher challenge for Lincoln to have to create a new platform for what could potentially be just 10K sales of that vehicle, a year in NA.

2010 Audi R8 global sales 3,166

2010 Audi brand global sales 1,092,411

2010 Lamborghini global sales 1,302

Edited by MKII

I think a person can get a pretty good idea of a brands perception especially among younger people if you just take a look at how they are viewed on Facebook. Lincoln has 27,685 fans at the present time. Lexus has 604,602. Cadillac has 416,567 fans. To compare with a mainstream worldwide brand Ford has 751,083.

Also if you become a fan of Lincoln on Facebook as I have read what people are saying. For the most part it's not positive although the Town Car lovers are sure out in full force. The MKZ, MKX and Navigator seem to get a little love, but for the most part it's the older Continentals and Town Cars that people are discussing as Lincolns they admire. A lot of people bash on the FWD Lincolnized Fords and want Lincoln to build a RWD performance car. Don't get mad at me for pointing this out I am just the messenger about what people out in the world think of Lincoln and it's current and future product portfolio.

Now Cadillac and Lexus are available in other parts of the world so I know that effects the amount of people that "like" the product, but taking time to read people's comments is pretty interesting. Ford has a lot of work to do if they want to turn the brand's perception around and have people view it as an equal in status to the Lexus brand.

I think a person can get a pretty good idea of a brands perception especially among younger people if you just take a look at how they are viewed on Facebook. Lincoln has 27,685 fans at the present time. Lexus has 604,602. Cadillac has 416,567 fans. To compare with a mainstream worldwide brand Ford has 751,083.

Also if you become a fan of Lincoln on Facebook as I have read what people are saying. For the most part it's not positive although the Town Car lovers are sure out in full force. The MKZ, MKX and Navigator seem to get a little love, but for the most part it's the older Continentals and Town Cars that people are discussing as Lincolns they admire. A lot of people bash on the FWD Lincolnized Fords and want Lincoln to build a RWD performance car. Don't get mad at me for pointing this out I am just the messenger about what people out in the world think of Lincoln and it's current and future product portfolio.

Good point and just shows what Ford needs to do...but at the same time, everyone wants a RWD performance car..but who is going to buy it? Talk is cheap...

The problem with the Internet is that it often acts like a megaphone for the small majority. If you used a sampling of what all message groups like this, we should be all driving around in high performance cars, but yet performance cars sell in low numbers because of a number of factors. People who use message boards are more likely then not to be enthusiasts who want more from whatever they are doing. I'd say we'd be lucky that they make up only 25% of the general car buying public.

Now Cadillac and Lexus are available in other parts of the world so I know that effects the amount of people that "like" the product, but taking time to read people's comments is pretty interesting. Ford has a lot of work to do if they want to turn the brand's perception around and have people view it as an equal in status to the Lexus brand.

Nothing to get mad about, I saw the whole "talk to Lincoln" thing and it seemed like every 3rd post was demanding rwd. As the top standard-bearers (minus Audi) all seem to believe in it-and Mullaly's car was a Lexus LS430, also rwd-the need for something with aft-drive can't be ignored forever...not unless Lincoln is wanting to lie in the dirt next to Mercury.

Nothing to get mad about, I saw the whole "talk to Lincoln" thing and it seemed like every 3rd post was demanding rwd. As the top standard-bearers (minus Audi) all seem to believe in it-and Mullaly's car was a Lexus LS430, also rwd-the need for something with aft-drive can't be ignored forever...not unless Lincoln is wanting to lie in the dirt next to Mercury.

Lincoln doesn't NEED RWD to be successful and sell cars at a profit. I think we would all LIKE to see RWD high performance Lincolns at some point to go head to head with the Germans and hopefully they can do that once they get everything else fixed.

But do you honestly think Lexus LS buyers know or care that it's RWD?

I do know plenty of older people on Facebook though, like my 77-year-old grandfather.

You'd have a stronger point if someone gathered the ages of all the people who are Facebook fans of these brands.

I do know plenty of older people on Facebook though, like my 77-year-old grandfather.

You'd have a stronger point if someone gathered the ages of all the people who are Facebook fans of these brands.

What if I said other luxury brands are generating a lot more interest on Facebook then Lincoln and left age out of it. I think that would be a fair statement. I would be interesting to see the average age of who likes what on there, however the only one that knows that is Facebook itself. I see they are trying to bring their fan page to life, but it appears to be a slow start. Hopefully with these new products that are promised to be class leading and extremely desirable that will change.

Lincoln doesn't NEED RWD to be successful and sell cars at a profit. I think we would all LIKE to see RWD high performance Lincolns at some point to go head to head with the Germans and hopefully they can do that once they get everything else fixed.

But do you honestly think Lexus LS buyers know or care that it's RWD?

I agree. Sales numbers matter, internet rumblings do not.

According to the sales figures found from this page, the top selling Lexus models are the FWD ES and FWD/AWD RX: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/07/01/lexus-june-2011-sales-report/

Also, bear in mind, the RWD IS is available with AWD, which certainly helps to increase its overall sales. The vast majority of BMWs and Mercedes Benz models I see in my region are AWD variants.

There's a huge disconnect between automotive journalists (who do not buy the cars they drive), internet posters (who do not buy the cars they demand), and the general public.

I've been reading some of the Lincoln posts on Facebook about Craftmanship, designers, materials, blah blah... who really cares? The problem of the interiors it not a problem, but rather, lack of product to put those materials in. I just see this "phase" of Lincoln talking about craftsmanships, designers, materials a waste of time currently...its a car, not a house....

I always get the impression that Europe thinks American cars are worse than Lada or anything the Communists could create. I'll be shocked to see a Mustang sold as a permanent fixture in the Ford EU lineup.

Have to agree.

The Mustang will not sell in Europe because it's American. A new Capri designed and built in Germany would do very well. Forgiving or forgetfull people those Europeans. :stirpot:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/269749/new_bmw_mpv_spied_testing.html

New BMW MPV spied testing

These are the latest spy shots of BMW's new front-wheel drive family MPV - codenamed 'FAST'

BMW is poised to enter a completely new section of the market with three new front-driven models set to rival the new Mercedes A- and B-Class.

In our spy photos, hidden beneath the optical paintwork and heavy cladding is the first of these new models from BMW, which will form part of an expanded 1 Series line-up.

Codenamed 'FAST' - which stands for Family Activity Sports Tourer - the new MPV will be a direct rival to the forthcoming Mercedes B-Class, and will aim to match it in terms of both efficiency and spaciousness.

Featuring a classic monobox design, raked windscreen and an extended wheelbase for added practicality, the FAST will mark a huge break from tradition for the brand when it arrives in 2013.

It's part of a wider plan to share FWD chassis technology with the next generation of MINIs - with two other models, including a smaller estate and a city car - also in the pipeline.

Powered by a new range of 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol and diesel engines with outputs ranging from a modest 75bhp to a healthy 150bhp, the FAST will also be available with both two and four-wheel drive, just like the B-Class.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/269749/new_bmw_mpv_spied_testing.html#ixzz1RZq5sHAp