Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s

Here's my prediction: Based on all we have heard, the 2.0 EB will be a cost option. The vast majority of Edge sales will continue to be those with the 3.5.

This will also be true if you want AWD.... It is Not available in the Ecoboost 2.0L....

The amount of hand wringing in this thread reminds me of the late 1970s and early 1980s when people were talking about the end of V8 era in domestic cars.

Turbo I4 makes more horsepower and torque and offers better fuel economy (especially turned correctly and paired with the right transmission) than large bore V6. If you think thirsty V6 is necessary in a midsize crossover, just take a look at the sales data for Audi Q5. Since the 2.0T was introduced, the 3.2 V6 sales have nosedived and is rumored to be dropped completely from the line up in 2012 (to be replaced by 3.0 TDI). I suppose Ford could hedge the field by offering the V6 as well as the Ecoboost I4 for next generation but I think a lot will be decided in 2012 when the current Edge receives the 2.0 Ecoboost. Here is my prediction: 2.0 Ecoboost Edge will outsell 3.5 V6 Edge in the first full calendar year when the 2 are offered side-by-side.

The Q5 is also the size of the Ford Kuga/Escape, it's much smaller than the Edge.

I have no doubt they can make it work, especially with a larger EBI4, but the 2.0 is pushing it. And unlike the Audi, Ford doesn't attach AWD.

Edited by BORG

Two, the height of a vehicle alone doesn't really have much of an impact on aerodynamics. There are plenty of ways to make a taller vehicle just as slippery through the air as a lower one (assuming similar seating and storage arrangements anyway). Height alone also doesn't really have a direct impact on vehicle weight either.

Of course the height affects aerodynamics -- coefficient of drag is applied to the frontal area of the vehicle.

Also as for being Station Wagons....if people aren't buying them now, why would they start too? Why force a product on the market that people don't want? I'll say its bunch of BS with the whole SUV/CUV/Wagon thing when it boils down to it, but its all about perception...

If you look at the Honda CrossTour or Toyota Venza that seems to be the style that people want now. No one wants CUVs that look like SUVs anymore (or so I have been told).

• Like 1

If you look at the Honda CrossTour or Toyota Venza that seems to be the style that people want now. No one wants CUVs that look like SUVs anymore (or so I have been told).

Have you seen CrossTour sales numbers? 1,395 in June, compared to 9,663 Edge and 3,384 Venza. :shades:

Have you seen CrossTour sales numbers? 1,395 in June, compared to 9,663 Edge and 3,384 Venza. :shades:

Hey I'm not debating the fact that people aren't buying these CUVs that have been station wagonized. I am just debating the people that tell me I am crazy for thinking people like CUVs with a little more traditional SUV styling. The Edge and new Explorer are fine, but from what I have seen of the Vertrek concept it is heading right down the Venza and CrossTour path with it's pinched off back roofline. I understand the pinched back end is suppose to make it look more like a wagon and less like an SUV, but it just takes away cargo room and makes the vehicle look wimpy.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

I have to admit that the Venza is my favorite Toyota, it would be the only car I would purchase from that company.

I still think it's strange people are evangelizing the look of the current Escape. It's a handsome SUV, but it doesn't look tougher just because it looks traditional.

Hey I'm not debating the fact that people aren't buying these CUVs that have been station wagonized. I am just debating the people that tell me I am crazy for thinking people like CUVs with a little more traditional SUV styling. The Edge and new Explorer are fine, but from what I have seen of the Vertrek concept it is heading right down the Venza and CrossTour path with it's pinched off back roofline. I understand the pinched back end is suppose to make it look more like a wagon and less like an SUV, but it just takes away cargo room and makes the vehicle look wimpy.

Um How does this look Pinched off?

2011-Ford-Vertrek-Wallpaper.jpg

vs this:

2010-honda-accord-crosstour-2wd-5dr-ex-open-doors_100303113_s.jpg

Or even this:

0811_03_a+2009_toyota_venza+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

Heck the more I see the Venza, the more they riped it off the Edge...

screams more BMW X series to me...

Um How does this look Pinched off?

2011-Ford-Vertrek-Wallpaper.jpg

vs this:

2010-honda-accord-crosstour-2wd-5dr-ex-open-doors_100303113_s.jpg

Or even this:

0811_03_a+2009_toyota_venza+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

Heck the more I see the Venza, the more they riped it off the Edge...

Compare those to the new Explorer. The new Explorer looks much better in the back with a more traditional SUV roofline and luggage compartment.

2011-Ford-Explorer-32.jpg

• Like 1

Compare those to the new Explorer. The new Explorer looks much better in the back with a more traditional SUV roofline and luggage compartment.

I dunno, I like both, I think the upcoming Escape just looks more swoopy looking then it actually is...the top part of the C pillars are "pinched" down by a slightly rounded roof and the direction of the C-pillar windows pointing up..I doubt that the interior space is affect much.

This will also be true if you want AWD.... It is Not available in the Ecoboost 2.0L....

The only thing Ford has said is that the Taurus and Explorer 2.0EB will be FWD only. They haven't stated anything officially like that with the upcoming CD4.

A BORG with a taste for Klingon?

Venza_grille.jpg

It does explain a lot.

+1 for you, my friend.

I assumed BORG liked the molten Venza because it is a complete ripoff of the Edge, itself the donor for his beloved MKX. Your theory, though, is much more interesting. :reading:

I'm not sold on this story (lack of V6)

Turning the Escape into a Mini-Edge, and then the Edge into a slightly bigger version of the same concept (not literal, but CUV concept in general), , seems like it would be a lot of overlap. Only way I could see Edge being all I4 is if Lincoln loses the MkX, and there is a suitable KugaLincoln which gets bookended with an ExplorerLincoln.

I'm not buying it.

I buy it, because 2016 is less than one model cycle away now.

Tick... tock...

Well, the Venza is the most Ford-looking of the Toyota's because of that fascia. But every-time I see the Venza on the road, it stands out from the crowd as something a bit more progressive and sporting.

And the Edge design (and many other SUVs like it) was inspired by another Toyota, the Lexus RX. The RX is probably the most influential vehicle design since the Ford Taurus. EVERY modern SUV and Crossover has been inspired by its design.

Edited by BORG

And the Edge design (and many other SUVs like it) was inspired by another Toyota, the Lexus RX. The RX is probably the most influential vehicle design since the Ford Taurus. EVERY modern SUV and Crossover has been inspired by its design.

Outside of the general outline (A high sitting Wagon with high belt lines) of it, I don't see it...the RX is pretty fugly..esp in the design details

Outside of the general outline (A high sitting Wagon with high belt lines) of it, I don't see it...the RX is pretty fugly..esp in the design details

I'm not talking about the newest RX, which is now stylistically irrelevant. I'm talking about the generations that preceded it, especially the 2nd gen. The wedge-shaped belt-line, raked rear glass, spoiler above the rear-hatch are just some of the design elements which inspired all contemporary SUV/CUV design. Not to mention the RX was the first successful "Crossover" as we know them today. Prior to the RX, SUVs were designed like white goods.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Of course the height affects aerodynamics -- coefficient of drag is applied to the frontal area of the vehicle.

Height all by itself doesn't impact drag. I'd wager a Ford Edge has a lower drag coeffecient than a 1965 Lincoln Continental despite being much taller. There's far more at play than one dimensional measurement.

Now, is it easier to make a shorter vehicle more aerodynamic? Sure, but that doesn't mean it always will be by default.

Edited by NickF1011