SPIED: 2013 Ford Flex

The new Flex interior looks very similar to the one in my Edge. I've gotten nothing but compliments from every person who has been inside it. :shrug:

It does? Looks like they made no effort beyond shoehorning the new tech into the exiting holes. The Flex dash is just too outdated, but I love the door panels.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

It does? Looks like they made no effort beyond shoehorning the new tech into the exiting holes. The Flex dash is just too outdated, but I love the door panels.

The center stack, steering wheel, and instrument cluster are fundamentally identical. I do like the "tophat" on the dash on the Edge more though.

Why does it matter if the dash layout is similar to the Edge and Explorer? It's not as though the majority of Flex owners also own an Edge and Explorer as well.

I would choose an Explorer over a Flex right now based specifically on the Flex's older, inferior quality, interior. The same was true of the Edge's 2011 interior updates. I hadn't considered the 2010 and earlier Edge specifically because of its lackluster interior. I think the Flex's interior update, which mimics Ford's current across-the-board improvements, can only help the vehicle's sales.

Edited by The Outrage

I would choose an Explorer over a Flex right now based specifically on the Flex's older, inferior quality, interior. The same was true of the Edge's 2011 interior updates. I hadn't considered the 2010 and earlier Edge specifically because of its lackluster interior. I think the Flex's interior update, which mimics Ford's current across-the-board improvements, can only help the vehicle's sales.

I agree the Explorer has a very good interior. I agree the current Edge is very much improved over the last-gen. Then again, when the Edge was introduced, it was a step in the right direction. I cannot say the current Flex Interior is inferior, quite the opposite as far as I'm concerned. The Flex has one of the best interiors in it's class of that generation. Just my opinion of course, my experiences with the Flex has been a positive one.

Edited by Hugh

Why does it matter if the dash layout is similar to the Edge and Explorer? It's not as though the majority of Flex owners also own an Edge and Explorer as well.

Just a matter of personality in my opinion. I feel there's less emotional connection to a vehicle that is similar in many ways to other vehicles. That seems to be one reason I tend to get more unique vehicles.

I got the Cobra because it wasn't a run-of-the-mill V6 or GT.

I got my Edge Sport because it was unique amongst other Edges.

Even my old Mazda6 I opted for a hatchback because it was a little different.

Carrying those differences over into the interior (which was unique in my Edge compared to just about every other Ford vehicles when I bought it) makes the uniqueness and connection that much stronger. Now that other Ford interiors are all starting to blend together with the one in my Edge, I feel a little less unique in owning one.

Just a matter of personality in my opinion. I feel there's less emotional connection to a vehicle that is similar in many ways to other vehicles. That seems to be one reason I tend to get more unique vehicles.

Carrying those differences over into the interior (which was unique in my Edge compared to just about every other Ford vehicles when I bought it) makes the uniqueness and connection that much stronger. Now that other Ford interiors are all starting to blend together with the one in my Edge, I feel a little less unique in owning one.

As Steve Martin once said:

Let's take the nonconformists oath!

I promise to be different!

<audience> - "I promise to be different"

I promise to be unique!

<audience> - "I promise to be unique"

I promise not to repeat things other people tell me!

<audience> - "I promise not to repeat.............wait.......what?"

• Like 1

segue to the question...why do people buy Coopers and Fiat 500's.....

segue to the question...why do people buy Coopers and Fiat 500's.....

Could ask the same of any strikingly unique vehicle. Look at the success of something like the Kia Soul. Totally unexpected, but I'd bet most owners would tell you they bought one because it wasn't a cookie cutter of everything else on the market -- and it may not be doing quite as well if it had the same interior as the Forte.

Edited by NickF1011

The new Flex interior looks very similar to the one in my Edge. I've gotten nothing but compliments from every person who has been inside it. :shrug:

Exactly, well at least the wheel and gauges. Just as it looks very similar to the Fusion Hybrid. I didn't like that wheel/gauges in the Fusion, didn't like them in the Edge. So personally, and again like I always say, based on my opinion, I'm just not feeling that setup. Many others may like it and find it appealing, that's their right. I'm simply not fond of the style of those two items.

Those compliments don't count unless they were made in Colorado pulling 100,000 lbs at 10,000 feet altitude! :rolleyes: :stirpot:

Curious, why try to press that button? I know this was an attempted slight at me. Look up my comments. Everything states "my personal opinion/experience" or "based on the area I reside". I don't state anything as fact, just personal opinion, observations and experience. I don't begrudge anyone for their opinion, observations or experience, to each their own. Only if they attempt to pass opinion as fact does it become concerning. But I do love your attempt at trying to stir the pot though.

The Flex is a beautiful car in my "opinion", others may disagree or they may agree. I simply dislike the interior setup on the 2013, or at least what is being displayed. Doesn't mean you will/won't agree. But sheesh, seems more and more anymore, if you dislike/disagree with anything Ford does anymore, you have to provide so many caveats so people don't get offended for you providing their opinion./observations/experience.

That's the problems with disclaimers: If you don't clarify, you get flamed or trolled. It's like having a waring label on a peanuts package "Caution, may contain nuts."

In fact I have to clarify my past statements: Because I prefer the former Flex setup does not mean I will not like the current MFT setup. I had the opportunity to drive an Edge Sport and I loved it compared to the first gen Edge. I was not a fan of the comparision to the Fusion Hybrid IP because I PREFER a balanced IP of twin guages. That's all, I'm not saying they suck or are inferior.

• Like 1

That's the problems with disclaimers: If you don't clarify, you get flamed or trolled. It's like having a waring label on a peanuts package "Caution, may contain nuts."

In fact I have to clarify my past statements: Because I prefer the former Flex setup does not mean I will not like the current MFT setup. I had the opportunity to drive an Edge Sport and I loved it compared to the first gen Edge. I was not a fan of the comparision to the Fusion Hybrid IP because I PREFER a balanced IP of twin guages. That's all, I'm not saying they suck or are inferior.

About the only reason I would have liked to have a tach in my Edge is because it can be manually shifted via the paddles. The smaller digitial tach doesn't really cut it. Reality is though, I rarely use the paddles and find the info on the LCD's to be much more useful. Wouldn't mind for sure if they found a way to add an analog tach back and put both LCD displays on top of one another in the center.

BON...caution, may contain nuts.... :ohsnap:

• Like 1

About the only reason I would have liked to have a tach in my Edge is because it can be manually shifted via the paddles. The smaller digitial tach doesn't really cut it. Reality is though, I rarely use the paddles and find the info on the LCD's to be much more useful. Wouldn't mind for sure if they found a way to add an analog tach back and put both LCD displays on top of one another in the center.

Interesting considering in my testdrive, I wanted to calculate the revs and gear while out testing the Edge Sport. A little difficult. Yet, there was that tech site that had the all digital IP in the Escape Mule. Sharp, very sharp!

Maybe they could just do a full LCD screen, and have a few options of 'looks' to go along with the different information tiers they have - one of these additional looks could be a traditional tach and speedo setup (maybe right next to each other in the middle with the MFT info outside them or something?), the other could be the current setup, only without the analog speedo and instead a digital one (itd look like a speedo, but on the screen).

Could ask the same of any strikingly unique vehicle. Look at the success of something like the Kia Soul. Totally unexpected, but I'd bet most owners would tell you they bought one because it wasn't a cookie cutter of everything else on the market -- and it may not be doing quite as well if it had the same interior as the Forte.

Kia Soul:

kissoulreview026_opt.jpg

Kia Forte:

2010_Kia-Forte-Interior_Image-08-800.jpg

Not identical, but still...

:shades:

Maybe they could just do a full LCD screen, and have a few options of 'looks' to go along with the different information tiers they have - one of these additional looks could be a traditional tach and speedo setup (maybe right next to each other in the middle with the MFT info outside them or something?), the other could be the current setup, only without the analog speedo and instead a digital one (itd look like a speedo, but on the screen)

I did mention a site that had a Escape Mule with a full LCD screen. I can't recall the sites name but I posted an article from it regarding Ford's eventual discontinuation of CD players.

Look at the success of something like the Kia Soul. Totally unexpected, but I'd bet most owners would tell you they bought one because it wasn't a cookie cutter of everything else on the market

Well if 20% of your sales are due to Rental Fleet sales...I'd say its not as successful as you make it out to be either...