2013 Lincoln MKT Gets Refined Version of Waterfall Grille

There is nothing stop-gap about the current Lincolns...the MKS and MKT are full-fledged Lincoln products with unique power plants, tophats, interiors, features, etc...they are stellar products and they haven't been able to hold sales. The MKZ is just old, as is the Fusion...I mean they are REALLY old products that defy the industry norm...the new Fusion and MKZ have a similar relationship going forward. The MKX is an aberration, it started life as a Lincoln RX and Ford got a version...I always see the relationship that way instead of the other way around, it's a great product for Ford to have because it's fundamentally a luxury-grade product.

Boy talk about exaggeration! The original Fusion arrived at dealerships along with the Zephyr right about this time 6 years ago, as a 2006 model. It was heavily refreshed 2.5 years ago. That's not really stale by any means. YES it is ripe for a replacement but they have made consistent and constant improvements over the years. The same can be said about the Edge/MKX and then some. The Edge/MKX went on sale around Jan. 1, 2007, so that's less than 5 years ago. The Explorer, Focus and Escape on the other hand will have been on the market over 10 years at the time of replacement! So let's give Ford credit where credit is due.(or blame when it is deserved!) The SUV's and Focus were allowed to really rot on the vine but their current sedans and crossovers have been aptly refreshed and especially in the Ford versions match or EXCEED any competitor feature for feature!!! The swoopy designs from Hyundai and Kia recently have really made all competitors look boring and dull, but looking at Fusion or MKZ next to a Honda, GM or Toyota product, the Fords still look damn competitive!

On a more positive, personal note, here in the D.C. area, which is Lexus/Benz-obsessed, the current Lincolns, even the MKX and MKZ get lustful stares from people around me all the time. I own a 2010 MKZ which gets stares and compliments almost on a daily basis here. I owned a 2003 G35 prior to this Lincoln, and in EIGHT years, I never got the amount of attention this Lincoln has gotten in just the past year or so! I am a very happy MKZ owner and it is the best car I've ever owned. As much as I loved my G35, I miss it's sportiness but would choose the Lincoln's comfort, serenity and refinement over that any day...

I look forward to and welcome the exciting all-new versions of the Fusion and MKZ coming soon. We just have to be patient and see them for what they hopefully will be: GIANT leaps forward!

Edited by hbalek

Well, I think it has a lot to do with there is no real other suitable vehicle to replace the Town Car. The MKS may be the current top of the line Lincoln car, but the more inherent choice for people shuttling would naturally be the MKT.

All you have to do is sit in the back seat of the MKS and MKT to know which one is practical for a Town Car replacement. Not even close. MKT needs styling changes to be sure. But for functionality and basic design, its dead on.

Alright, as promised here are two possible refresh ideas I came up with for the MKT. Unfortunately, I've only got updates to the rear for now, front ones will hopefully come soon for those interested:

For this first one I massaged the uptick and lowered the hips and rear window slightly and "moved" the rear wiper to underneath the spoiler (ala Range Rover). I extended the HCMSL to be wider and gave it a sharkfin type antenna instead of the current one for a more sleek look. I added square exhaust tips, which I felt went better with the vehicle's design, and extended the bottom edge of the bumper slightly downward to accomodate these new tips. On the lightbar, I eliminated the box reverse lights in the center (and while I didn't try to render this as it would've been difficult) with the chrome strip becoming the new reverse lights (maybe LED tube). Underneath the chrome strip the lightbar was made slightly thicker. Lastly, I made the Lincoln star larger and lined up its horizontal bar with the chrome strips/reverse lights. I also created a larger bump/bulge for the camera that the star now sits on to better integrate the (ugly) lump of the current model. I think I covered everything...

MKTrefresh.jpg

For this one all the same changes as above were made except I put MKX taillights on it (stretched and skewed) and included a similar horizontal lip as the MKX for the camera.

MKTrefresh2.jpg

Lastly, here's the original.

2012-lincoln-MKT-rear-view.jpg

• Like 1

th_MKTrefresh.jpg

good job, Rmc :thumbup:

I actually like the first one best due to you FIXING the tail lights

('cept one small thing: making the part Not on the tailgate match, the lens is still a bit taller)

&

tho what I really want is for the sides to be the same as the concept,

wonder how it'd look look with No upkick on the windows but With the full hips in the sheetmetal

(what I really *really* want is a true-flagship, long-wheelbase MKS sedan with MKT-concept side-styling & an all new frontend)

Edited by 2b2

First of all, I wish they would just get rid of the "MK..blah...blah" names. Geez. I really liked when they used the name Zephyr again, but then it became the MKZ. :banghead:

Anyway, this use of the waterfall grill from the 1939/1940 era is a fail in all the vehicles, personally. The Lincolns back then had a nose that that style of grill complemented. It was pointy. These flat noses look awful with this grill.

Second, I don't think using a Flex body is such a bad idea if they'd just do more with it. Mazda did a wonderful job of differentiating the Mazda CX-9 from the Ford Edge. Why can't they follow their lead? While we're on that subject, why can't the MKX be a 3 row, like the CX-9?

We only see a product under wraps. Let's hope that this test mule isn't near the finished product, and that the final design will "wow" us...

Second, I don't think using a Flex body is such a bad idea if they'd just do more with it. Mazda did a wonderful job of differentiating the Mazda CX-9 from the Ford Edge. Why can't they follow their lead? While we're on that subject, why can't the MKX be a 3 row, like the CX-9?

The CX-9 is a stretched out Edge platform...this why no 3 row in the MKX

The XTS is the next Town Car, not the MKT.

You mean the XTS that GM's CEO admits "won't blow the doors off anything"?

The XTS that even the staunchest Cadillac fans are underwhelmed by?

The XTS that carries design language that debuted when I was in middle school?

So, you are saying that the XTS will be EXACTLY THE SAME the Town Car IS. I'm glad you agree with BORG.

The XTS will be a worthy replacement of the dreadfully antiquated DTS, but I wouldn't look for it to set the world (or black car industry) on fire.

If it does what you believe it will do, it would be a runaway winner compared to the MKT TownCar.

Seriously though, if you just look at MKT alone, which IS definitely a failure in ford's book, this refresh is throwing "good" money after bad, and it doesn't make much sense. However, since Ford has decided they want to stay in the livery business, the MKT is the only thing they had that can be updated to suit that market, RIGHT NOW. This is how I made sense of this situation (MKT getting a refresh at all). Plus, this will leave room (on retail side) for Lincoln to introduce MK Explorer - apparently Navigator's refresh does not count as one of the 7, leaving room for both MK Focus and MK Explorer.

Seriously though, if you just look at MKT alone, which IS definitely a failure in ford's book, this refresh is throwing "good" money after bad, and it doesn't make much sense.

How is it a failure? Because it doesn't sell to some inane monthly sales number?

I'm sure that the refresh has been programmed into the costs of car when it was launched (I doubt Ford waits a year or two before with no work being done before decides to start penning a refresh...)

The only people who know if the Flex and MKT are "successful" is Ford themselves...and they aren't going to be sharing that info.

If the MKT and Flex go away in another 3-4 years, then we can deduct that they aren't successful for Ford, but to conclude that now, is downright stupid.

Seriously though, if you just look at MKT alone, which IS definitely a failure in ford's book, this refresh is throwing "good" money after bad, and it doesn't make much sense.

How is it a failure? Because it doesn't sell to some inane monthly sales number?

You don't know doesn't mean Ford doesn't know. Ford knows what is the break even number and what is the target number for MKT. They may not be as high as the "insane" "2000/month", they are always higher than Navigator's.

I'm sure that the refresh has been programmed into the costs of car when it was launched (I doubt Ford waits a year or two before with no work being done before decides to start penning a refresh...)

The only people who know if the Flex and MKT are "successful" is Ford themselves...and they aren't going to be sharing that info.

Of course they know, and it is a failure. You don't need Ford to "share" this, you can figure it out with the info openly available, well maybe not you.

If the MKT and Flex go away in another 3-4 years, then we can deduct that they aren't successful for Ford, but to conclude that now, is downright stupid.

First of all, name calling doesn't win you an argument, common sense and sound reasoning do.

Is Ford pulling the plug the only way you can deduct it is a failure, any other reasonable conclusions are all stupid? (btw, even on BOF, 99% posters know and admit MKT is not successful, so I fixed that for you.)

Now, using only the public info,

1) MKT went on sale in 09/09. Of the 3 years since then, the single month record was 12/09 and highest monthly average was 2009, when the production was still being ramped up.

2) Since then, Ford brand and overall market recovered, Lincoln declined and MKT declined more than Lincoln average. So,

Ford > market average > 0 > Lincoln average > MKT, there's your horizontal comparison

3) Except the introduction month, every month the MKT year-over-year comparison is a decline, there's your vertical comparison

4) Month after month, with very few exception, Navigator outsold MKT, despite MKT being newer, more advanced, packing way more technology, more powerful w/ EB and better FE.

5) MKT is ugly. The single most important reason that it is a failure.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

You don't know doesn't mean Ford doesn't know. Ford knows what is the break even number and what is the target number for MKT. They may not be as high as the "insane" "2000/month", they are always higher than Navigator's.

Of course they know, and it is a failure. You don't need Ford to "share" this, you can figure it out with the info openly available, well maybe not you.

First of all, name calling doesn't win you an argument, common sense and sound reasoning do.

Is Ford pulling the plug the only way you can deduct it is a failure, any other reasonable conclusions are all stupid? (btw, even on BOF, 99% posters know and admit MKT is not successful, so I fixed that for you.)

Now, using only the public info,

1) MKT went on sale in 09/09. Of the 3 years since then, the single month record was 12/09 and highest monthly average was 2009, when the production was still being ramped up.

2) Since then, Ford brand and overall market recovered, Lincoln declined and MKT declined more than Lincoln average. So,

Ford > market average > 0 > Lincoln average > MKT, there's your horizontal comparison

3) Except the introduction month, every month the MKT year-over-year comparison is a decline, there's your vertical comparison

4) Month after month, with very few exception, Navigator outsold MKT, despite MKT being newer, more advanced, packing way more technology, more powerful w/ EB and better FE.

5) MKT is ugly. The single most important reason that it is a failure.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

How much does it cost Ford to make the MKT, and how much profit are they making on each one? And what's the projected sales and ATPs for the new revised model?

If you don't know then you can't possibly say whether the MKT is a failure or not. And you don't know. You're just guessing and showing your bias because you think it's ugly.

How much does it cost Ford to make the MKT, and how much profit are they making on each one? And what's the projected sales and ATPs for the new revised model?

If you don't know then you can't possibly say whether the MKT is a failure or not. And you don't know. You're just guessing and showing your bias because you think it's ugly.

I don't know where you got this idea that as long as you make profit on each car you sell, then it can not be a failure! That's so not true.

When a plant could easily make 10 times the volume they are making, you think high per vehicle profit will save them from being a failure? All those $300k+ exotic cars, they all make much higher per vehicle profit, how come none of them is indipendent anymore.

Again, you don't know certain things does not mean everybody else doesn't know.

• Like 1

I don't know where you got this idea that as long as you make profit on each car you sell, then it can not be a failure! That's so not true.

When a plant could easily make 10 times the volume they are making, you think high per vehicle profit will save them from being a failure? All those $300k+ exotic cars, they all make much higher per vehicle profit, how come none of them is indipendent anymore.

Your right it is poor factory utilization. If you were building and selling cars would you rather sell 20,000 in one month that made $1,000 in profit per vehicle or 350 that made $20,000 in profit per vehicle. Do the math...

But, of course we don't know what the profit numbers on the MKT are, so anything at all is just a guess. With the shared platform and shared power packs it seems that it probably doesn't cost very much at all for Ford to make the MKT so I think it is a reasonable assumption that they make a pretty decent penny on each one they sell and it is of course additional volume for the D3/4 platform. All that said, the sales numbers are so low my WAG would be that it is barely above breaking even, but it is nothing more than a WAG and can't be substantiated by anything. It is right in the middle of the pack for it's class as well, so I'm sure Ford knew the volumes wouldn't be all that high anyway when they decided to build it...

As for factory utilization, where is it built? Along side explorer? Flex? Taurus? MKS? As long as it isn't holding back volumes of any of the other d3/4 vehicles (say they were building it instead of explorer and the cost to design MKT outweighed the additional profit that they make from higher ATP of MKT, then that would be bad business, but from what we've seen over the past few years it doesn't look like Ford makes those kind of decisions anymore) it is only adding volume to one of the plants, so I don't see how that could be a bad thing unless the plant is only building flex/mkt and is underutilized. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Edited by Captainp4

If it was low volume on a non-shared platform in a low volume plant - sure.

But in this case it's a question of whether they make 30K vehicles at $10K profit - or they get nothing. They can't shut down a plant or get rid of a platform by cancelling them.

I'm sure Ford would like sales to be higher but we'll have to wait and see what happens after the MCE and the livery market is in full force.

IIRC, they are built in Oakville with Flex, Edge and MKX.

I wonder when the next Edge/MKX is supposed to arrive? :)

Not for a while and there was a vicious rumor that there would not be a replacement. I can't find the article but it did come into question whether there was going to be new product at Oakville. For the record, I am not trying to start anything.

You act as if MKT (and Flex) has its own plant producing only MKTs (and Flexes), which is not true - as mentioned they're built at Oakville along with the Edge/MKX, which are without a doubt successful products, not to mention the fact that costs for MKT and Flex are spread over all 5 D3 vehicles.

Not for a while and there was a vicious rumor that there would not be a replacement. I can't find the article but it did come into question whether there was going to be new product at Oakville. For the record, I am not trying to start anything.

I'd say thats very doubtful...I'd expect a Edge/MKX replacement in 2014 or 2015 on the CD4 platform...esp since I'd expect it to merge with the S-Max or replace it in the EU

The Edge is only the #1 best selling Mid-sized CUV now in NA :)

You act as if MKT (and Flex) has its own plant producing only MKTs (and Flexes), which is not true - as mentioned they're built at Oakville along with the Edge/MKX, which are without a doubt successful products, not to mention the fact that costs for MKT and Flex are spread over all 5 D3 vehicles.

I believe Flex/MKT has its own line, not shared with Edge/MKX, so in a sense, they do have their "own" plant in that their under used capacity won't translate into more Edge/MKX being built.

Regarding the design/engineering cost, the D4 CUV unique cost is substantial, no other ways about it. And both of them are underpeforming, to put it mildly.