Spied: 2013 Ford F-150

If the 2013 is getting a new grill, than I guess the next F150 probably won't come around until 2015 at the earliest?

The "mule" appears to have the high GVWR package with the 7 lug wheels. It also appears to be either an Ecoboost or something else with an intercooler... stirpot.gif

In my opinion, 1977 was the pinnacle of Ford pickup exterior styling. The interiors of the '73-79 series while utilitarian, also got high marks for no-nonsense "Git'er done" functionality and comfort. By '79 the Lariat models were even getting pretty cushy inside as well.

3268424489_e60c73be26.jpg

1977-ford-f-150-pickup-old-grey.jpg

0703st_04_z+1977_ford_f150+interior_bench_seat.jpg

Ford-pioneered seamless inner fenders in bed:

0704ct_05_z+1977_ford_ranger_xlt_lariat+.jpg

1979 Lariat interior video:

BONUS VIDEO:

"Mr. Majestyk" - Some great Ford pickup and car action in this! Ya gotta' love that Twin-I-Beam front suspension in action in this one!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I do like that new grille...but this truck is going to be overdue for a complete remake so the news about another spiff-up is disappointing. After all, we are still riding on a 2004 MY body, and 2015 brings us to 11 years.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Looks like 2013 might be a minor face lift....

I suspect that the next big re-design will include significant weight reduction. Aluminum/Composite body panels or something similar. The F150 is going to have to go on a diet to survive. Even with the Ecoboost, mine can only get 15-17 around town and 18-19 on the highway ( at any speed above 55mph ) . Not bad MPG for what it is, but could be better with significant weight reduction...

6000lb is still 6000lb to lug around no matter how high tech the engine is....

I really hope that they improve seat comfort. The seat comfort in my lariat have been very disappointing. This is the first F150 I have ever been in that the seats were not comfortable on long trips. The seat bottom needs to be a little wider and have less hard foam in the side bolsters. The demographic for trucks are typically not light weights...

I took the seat bottom apart and re-shaped the foam. It is much more comfortable now, but still could have been better if materials were not so hard. I really cannot believe that Ford made such a bad design for the F150 Lariat model....

In my opinion, 1977 was the pinnacle of Ford pickup exterior styling. The interiors of the '73-79 series while utilitarian, also got high marks for no-nonsense "Git'er done" functionality and comfort. By '79 the Lariat models were even getting pretty cushy inside as well.

1977-ford-f-150-pickup-old-grey.jpg

OMG!! That's MY favorite truck of all time also! Moving the F badge from the fender to the hood and adding the moudlings really set it off. When they added the new grille and round (78) and square (79) headlamps it just didn't look as good. And they totally screwed the pooch in 1980.

I want the one pictured above in fire engine red (short wheelbase). My brother had a black and white 75 that I got to drive. I delivered furniture for several years in school in a stipper 76 custom.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 1

a 2004 MY body

Every exterrior body panel, except for the roof, was all-new in 2009.

The rumor is the truck will be totally revamped for the 2014 model year, due in 2013. I don't know how the stamping plant will make that timetable. They are supposed to be installing 4 new Schuler transfer presses from scratch. I don't see it.

Also, I have heard some interesting things on what the new frame and body will be constructed of. Wish I could share it without losing my job.

• Like 2

The rumor is the truck will be totally revamped for the 2014 model year, due in 2013. I don't know how the stamping plant will make that timetable. They are supposed to be installing 4 new Schuler transfer presses from scratch. I don't see it.

Also, I have heard some interesting things on what the new frame and body will be constructed of. Wish I could share it without losing my job.

oh come on you don't need your job. :shades:

OMG!! That's MY favorite truck of all time also! Moving the F badge from the fender to the hood and adding the moudlings really set it off. When they added the new grille and round (78) and square (79) headlamps it just didn't look as good. And they totally screwed the pooch in 1980.

I want the one pictured above in fire engine red (short wheelbase). My brother had a black and white 75 that I got to drive. I delivered furniture for several years in school in a stipper 76 custom.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Get ready for this...I lust after one exactly like that (short wheelbase as well), slightly lifted (just a couple inches), and meaty tires.

Dammit, maybe we are the same person!

Get ready for this...I lust after one exactly like that (short wheelbase as well), slightly lifted (just a couple inches), and meaty tires.

Dammit, maybe we are the same person!

Except for that Cardinal thing...........

braves.jpg

Edited by akirby

Except for that Cardinal thing...........

OK

:hysterical:

Had it not been for the Braves, the Cards wouldn't have been WS Champs this year. Well, with some help from the Phillies, and it was great to see the Phillies playing until the end on the last night of the season when they very easily could've given in to save the players for the playoffs.

Edited by fordmantpw

Had it not been for the Braves, the Cards wouldn't have been WS Champs this year. Well, with some help from the Phillies, and it was great to see the Phillies playing until the end on the last night of the season when they very easily could've given in to save the players for the playoffs.

It didn't matter. The Braves couldn't beat the Phillies anyway.

It was great back in 91-95 with the World Series games, but for the last 15 years or so I don't even pay attention to them until they actually make it to another World Series. Although it is strange that Bobby Cox is no longer managing.

OK

:hysterical:

Arrggghh! The freaking Braves!! :angry2::nonono:

Technically that maybe true for the standard cab due to the reconfiguration, but the cab and greenhouse design has carried over since 2004 particularly on the crew and supercab models.

And noone in the truck world cares.

I always find it funny when non truck people apply their sensibilities to trucks. They are the only ones who complain about things like carried over greenhouse design.

Why are you using the word "sensibilities" in a Borg infused design discussion?

• Like 1

It didn't matter. The Braves couldn't beat the Phillies anyway.

It was great back in 91-95 with the World Series games, but for the last 15 years or so I don't even pay attention to them until they actually make it to another World Series. Although it is strange that Bobby Cox is no longer managing.

Yeah, I miss Bobby Cox...I thought he was a great manager, and did a lot of great things with the Braves.

Arrggghh! The freaking Braves!! :angry2::nonono:

Yeah, that meant the Brewers had to go through the Cards! :) Just curious, did Nyjer Morgan enjoy watching the WS on TV? :hysterical: He'd be better off to just keep his mouth shut...he's a better ball player when you can't hear him...and he isn't throwing his wad of chew at the mound.

Technically that maybe true for the standard cab due to the reconfiguration, but the cab and greenhouse design has carried over since 2004 particularly on the crew and supercab models.

How much can you really change on the greenhouse of a trcuk? Angle the windshield 1 degree this way or that way?

Ford completely revamped the interior in '09, and added an extensive update in '11 with the productivity screen.

Continuous improvements keep truck moving off the lots. Look at the Super Duty. It has the same basic design as it did when the '99 came out in early '98. That's 13 years, and it's still going strong. What has kept it going is the constant improvements to the interior, and minor exterior freshenings to keep it looking somewhat new. Most real truck buyers care about the ability of the truck as well as the interior since many owners spend lots of time in their truck.

See the thread on Ford owning work...

For those who think I don't care because I'm not a truck buyer, I own a 2011 Ford F-150 and I'm interested in the design success of the truck as it faces down the next generation Silverado. Again, my interest is in absolute leadership in every detail, and design is where I feel Ford makes the most compromises.

Edited by BORG

For those who think I don't care but I'm not a truck buyer, I own a 2011 Ford F-150 and I'm interested in the design success of the truck as it faces down the next generation Silverado. Again, my interest is in absolute leadership in every detail, and design is where I feel Ford makes the most compromises.

As far as trucks go, I somewhat agree with you on that statement (I personally think the Dodge is the best-looking truck out there). But, Ford knows what truck leadership means, and Ford knows what it takes to build the best all-around truck. If they skimp just a tad in design details (design is subjective anyway) to excel in other areas, I'm OK with that.

As far as looks go, of the 3 trucks I have owned (all Fords), my '99 was the best looking of the bunch (IMHO). It was a flairside, and they aren't even made any more.