Lincoln Offers Peak of New Styling Direction

Are we all already forgetting the MKZ front end that was teased at the MKS intro? It obviously looks very different from the MKS and MKT.

2013-lincoln-mkz-teased-in-la-to-be-unveiled-at-2012-detroit-show-40495_1.jpg

The only thing that scares me is that the how headlights and the grill is intergrated together....its a black smudge where they meet in the composite photo..I hope it doesn't wind up like this:

nissan-murano-grille.jpg

I know it won't be that messy, but it gives you the idea of what I don't want to see with it....

What software would Ford use to design Lincolns?

Photoshop?

Illustrator?

Heck, AutoDesk is only just now reintroducing an OSX compatible version of AutoCAD after an 18 year absence.

Why on EARTH would you write for the Mac, if you were developing industry specific software that needed to interface with a variety of machines through a variety of ports?

They use Maya for design.

• Like 1

Is this a Toaster?

http://store.apple.c...ct&product=Z0M4

And at what point did I say Lincoln should be developing on a Mac? That's just your prejudice.

Sorry for the knee-jerk about your prejudiced comment on XP, lol. Yep, at best a 2-slice toaster. Borg, we're talking about POWER, not could-be, should-be, might-be.

Nice rig for the dilettantes, though. :hysterical:

You know I do not get why car manufactures don't just hire Chip Foose to design the styling of their cars. I have seen several designs that he has done for basic family styled autos ( not hot rods) and they are breath taking. He is a good engineer and knows how to work within mechanical and aerodynamic parameters.....

Every auto he has worked on has been beautiful......

He certainly could not do worse that the recent Lincoln style offerings. (To be fair, I think most 13 year old's could do better than recent Lincoln style designers....)

Of course, silly me, if you're not running XP you have to be running OSX.

What would they be running then? Linux? Vista? Solaris?

Linux costs too much to administer.

Vista and Windows 7 are too new for long lead time industry specific software.

Solaris---well, it's not 1990 anymore, is it? SPARC workstations are no longer the best thing to do CAD/CAM.

And if you weren't aware, http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/13/technology/windows_xp/index.htm

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/netmarketshare-xp-finally-eroded-to-sub-50-percent-level-chrome-closing-in-on-firefox/15959

A lot of corporate machines are still running XP, and will continue to run XP.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

What would they be running then? Linux? Vista? Solaris?

Linux costs too much to administer.

Vista and Windows 7 are too new for long lead time industry specific software.

Solaris---well, it's not 1990 anymore, is it? SPARC workstations are no longer the best thing to do CAD/CAM.

And if you weren't aware, http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/13/technology/windows_xp/index.htm

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/netmarketshare-xp-finally-eroded-to-sub-50-percent-level-chrome-closing-in-on-firefox/15959

A lot of corporate machines are still running XP, and will continue to run XP.

HEY YOU TWO! Edited by Deanh

You know I do not get why car manufactures don't just hire Chip Foose to design the styling of their cars. I have seen several designs that he has done for basic family styled autos ( not hot rods) and they are breath taking. He is a good engineer and knows how to work within mechanical and aerodynamic parameters.....

Every auto he has worked on has been beautiful......

He certainly could not do worse that the recent Lincoln style offerings. (To be fair, I think most 13 year old's could do better than recent Lincoln style designers....)

problems were Chips cars only got 1 star in the crash tests....

Edited by Deanh

After seeing this 2013 MKS I just have to say that I know now where the 1977-78 Oldsmobile Omega grill wound up. I am disappointed in the Ford, Lincoln brands. Attn Alan: Please fire the designer associated with this and hire the guy that designed the 2013 XTS.

If Lincoln is serious about playing with the luxury big boys, they better start making products look good, cause that new MKT and MKS are not getting any love from the public. Oh Alan one more thing, put a V-8 under the hood of the MKS. I know Eco-Boost this and that (My Dad has one of these) but for 50K I want a V8 Sound.

After seeing this 2013 MKS I just have to say that I know now where the 1977-78 Oldsmobile Omega grill wound up. I am disappointed in the Ford, Lincoln brands. Attn Alan: Please fire the designer associated with this and hire the guy that designed the 2013 XTS.

If Lincoln is serious about playing with the luxury big boys, they better start making products look good, cause that new MKT and MKS are not getting any love from the public. Oh Alan one more thing, put a V-8 under the hood of the MKS. I know Eco-Boost this and that (My Dad has one of these) but for 50K I want a V8 Sound.

i actually like the refresh, and the Caddy is chrome gone wild......and if you have two drivetrains, one V8 one eco, and one outperforms the other all the while having superior mileage...then riddle me this....why?.....regardless, it would not surprize me to see the 5.0 make its lincoln debut sometime....

You know I do not get why car manufactures don't just hire Chip Foose to design the styling of their cars

Most likely because he doesn't want to work for someone else and they need to be able to mass-produce designs that will pass muster under the Federal regs...

Edited by SoonerLS

I am 100% certain tha Foose could design an exterior that would fit around the structural interior components. I see absolutely no evidence that would rule this ability out....

This isn't even worth discussing. Ford knows Foose. Foose knows Ford. If Foose wanted a job with Ford he could have it.

Increasingly, those places include car company design departments. A firm believer that a passionate design emotionally attaches a buyer to a vehicle, Foose says assimilating lines and gestures from past vehicles–where passion was the main focus–to create new designs doesn't have to result in a vehicle that looks backward. "It's no different than what GM did when designing the Corvette," he says. "If you know where to look, you can see lines and gestures from past Corvettes, things that really tug at the buyer's emotions and make the sale." When asked about his contributions to Detroit's recent design heritage, Foose resolutely refuses to identify the concept or production vehicles on which he's consulted. Yet many in the industry say Ford's Forty Nine, Mustang, and Sport Trac concepts carry his signature style. "J Mays is a good friend, and has been very nice to me," is all Foose says when asked.

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/chip-foose-humble-genius

Edited by RichardJensen

Ok, if not Foose, how about someone that can design somthing that is at least NOT UGLY....

As was already stated on the last page...

I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically or not (I think not), but they already did hire Cadillac's designer away from GM...

Max-Wolff-is-new-Lincoln-Design-Director-355x266.jpg

They've hired a new designer. The 2013 MKZ will be mostly completed under him, but the MKEscape and Aviator will be the first products done completely under his watch. Give it a chance, eh?

...Oh Alan one more thing, put a V-8 under the hood of the MKS. I know Eco-Boost this and that (My Dad has one of these) but for 50K I want a V8 Sound.

imho there's no question that they could shove-in a 5.0v8.

whether it fits easily on the assembly line,

whether it can be done profitably

whether the D3-4's remaining years are worth doing what they already shoulda done (imho)

whether they 'd take ^that^ opportunity to build a Super-S on the MKT's longer wlb

whether they'll even bother to make the S & T & the REST of their lineup co-ordinate their style with whatever new theme the MKZ debuts**, instead of acting like a "living museum" of abandonned design ideas...

...whether Lincoln will ever be a Brand for ANSWERS instead of Questions?

** it could happen imho