Fiat has half-year supply of 500s

PREMiERdrum

2012-fiat-500c-628.jpg

The 2012 Fiat 500 seems to be having trouble gaining sales momentum. Automotive News reports that the Italian hatch is likely to fall well short of its admittedly very ambitious 50,000 unit sales target this year. The model hit the market back in March and has only sold 15,826 units through October. The report also says that of the 150 Fiat dealers in the States, 29 didn't sell a single one last month (presumably at least some of them haven't shifted a vehicle because they were late opening in the first place). Either way, that's a lot of sales people looking longingly out of the show room glass. As a result, Chrysler is now offering a $500 rebate on the vehicle in an effort to entice buyers as the year comes to a close.

LINK - Autoblog

The thing is just too freaking small for the $$$ they want for it. I'm only 6 foot tall, and on the passenger side my head was up in the headliner depression for the sunroof at this year's Detroit Auto Show.

Try again, Fiat.

I'd MUCH rather go and buy a greatly discounted 200 Touring for approximately the same money - and get a *real* car in the deal, if I was forced to choose.

-Ovaltine

The thing is just too freaking small for the $$$ they want for it. I'm only 6 foot tall, and on the passenger side my head was up in the headliner depression for the sunroof at this year's Detroit Auto Show.

Try again, Fiat.

I'd MUCH rather go and buy a greatly discounted 200 Touring for approximately the same money - and get a *real* car in the deal, if I was forced to choose.

-Ovaltine

Come on now, I would imagine the cute Fiat 500 will ultimately become a chick car like the modern VW Beetle has been before latest change. I see that Fiat just fired its latest N.A. marketing manager that was behind the Lopez advertising fiasco. Supposedly, the new manager is much better, especially dealing with dealership problems and hopefully more effective advertising in states. I hope the vehicle turns out to be a chick magnet as they are awfully cute and I also hope Fiat is able to grab a foothold here along with Alfa Romeo. I would even like to see them selling and servicing some Ferraris like the Italia at AR dealerships.

It would have been smarter to rebadge it as a Dodge (ala the Colt vehicles of the 80's) and use the existing Chrysler dealer network. Then if it becomes popular, bring in the FIAT brand.

Well, they could have still marketed it as a Fiat, but the requirements for separate dealerships errr studios was probably a bit much to start off. Should have just stuck them in existing showrooms next to Dodges and Chryslers for now.

Well, they could have still marketed it as a Fiat, but the requirements for separate dealerships errr studios was probably a bit much to start off. Should have just stuck them in existing showrooms next to Dodges and Chryslers for now.

Marchionne f----d them. He promised them some Alfas by early to mid 2012, and is now saying late 2013 at the earliest. I really feel sorry for the people who put up big bucks for full service exclusive dealerships with huge showrooms and only Fiat 500 for two loooooooong years or more. The Golling Fiat dealerhship on Woodward Avenue in Birmingham, MI is gorgeous and better looking than Porsche/Audi dealership next door. Golling must have at least 10 new 500's sitting in huge showroom with all kinds of add ons to show what the vehicle can do like cycling, camping, skiing, and so on. Another 20 are sitting outside facing Woodward in little side street facing the big boulevard separated by island. I sure hope he sells more than a few/month or he is probably sitting in back room writing threatening letters to Marchionne himself. FYI, there is strong rumor that Fiat North American Headquarters will be in Detroit area. Then Golling can go picket in front.

Geez...... I can't believe that Fiat required brand new dealers and facilities to sell just ONE model line! It's hard to believe that there were any takers for a deal like that. I'm sure there was alot of "Gotta get in on the ground floor..." mentality that went into that decision for the new Fiat "dealers".

It's going to be a LONG two years, if the 500 is all they've got to push.

-Ovaltine

Could be worse the Bob Lutz said the future of GM hinges on the Chevy Volt sales.

GM sold 125 Chevy Volts in July at its 3084 Chevy Dealerships, so 2959 of its 3084 Chevy dealers were without a single Chevy Volt sale.

Enough of your off topic garbage. This thread has nothing to do with the Volt. Nothing.

Enough of your off topic garbage. This thread has nothing to do with the Volt. Nothing.

Just pointing out the similarities in statements Nick, at least garbage is 500% more than you ever bring to a topic.

150 Fiat dealers in the States, 29 didn't sell a single one

3084 Chevy Dealerships, 2959 didn't sell a single Chevy Volt

Small micro cars are not selling very well in Europe as well, and all their sales are all well down.

Eurpoean micro car sales YTD October

1. Fiat Panda 140,285 -22%

2. Fiat 500 122,968 -10%

3. Mini 87,758 -12%

8. Ka 57,898 -26%

1.3 million have hopped on cycles instead just in the UK, so l guess austerity must be biting a bit Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

Gotta it must be J-lo's fault, she can't act or sing.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Just pointing out the similarities in statements Nick, at least garbage is 500% more than you ever bring to a topic.

Small micro cars are not selling very well in Europe as well, and all their sales are all well down.

Eurpoean micro car sales YTD October

1. Fiat Panda 140,285 -22%

2. Fiat 500 122,968 -10%

3. Mini 87,758 -12%

8. Ka 57,898 -26%

1.3 million have hopped on cycles instead just in the UK, so l guess austerity must be biting a bit Nick.

:rolleyes:

The Volt is not a microcar, so there aren't any similarities whatsoever. You may as well point out that Ford's heavy trucks aren't selling very well. :finger:

1322053583[/url]' post='747364']

Versus a full-line Mini brand and versus many other subcompact hatchbacks.

Mini didn't offer multiple verisons of its cars till just recently...

Anyways...from what I've been able to find...Mini only sold about 15k cars in 2001-02, which was far better auto market then it is now...so expectations of 30k 500 sold is downright stupid!!!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-discussion/21448-how-many-minis-have-been-sold-your-country.html

Edited by silvrsvt

Mini didn't offer multiple verisons of its cars till just recently...

Anyways...from what I've been able to find...Mini only sold about 15k cars in 2001-02, which was far better auto market then it is now...so expectations of 30k 500 sold is downright stupid!!!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-discussion/21448-how-many-minis-have-been-sold-your-country.html

Mini didn't launch with multiple bodystyles, but it did launch with more than a base engine.

And the expectations were definitely off.

Comparing the budget 500 to the premium-market MINI is not particularly apt. Sure, there are "basic" MINIs, but having a turbo option/Cooper "Works" high-performance models means it appeals to a different mind-set. If Sergio had offered an Abarth model with the introduction, maybe things might have been more positive.

Problem for FIAT is that gas is below $4/gallon, and that B-size Fiestas and other B-size are just a little bigger, for about the same amount of money. With gas at the price it is, economy is important, but it's not at a price-point where people will down-size that much. My 2¢. :)

Yeah too little car for too much money. The Mini was able to get away with this sales strategy because it's a sporty little car but the Fiat not so much so. Even Consumer Reports commented on the price in their review:

Perhaps Fiat should have stuck a toe in the water before jumping in.