2013 Ford Fusion Interactive Teaser

^^^

What ANTAUS said. :)

The trend toward higher beltines on modern automobiles is disconcerting. Here's hoping the design of the new Mondeo and Fusion will incorporate a relatively low beltine and thin pillars.

Personally, I think a high beltline on a vehicle can be very sexy and appealing if done right. Problem is, it's rarely executed properly IMHO.

From My link

fordfusion2013ipadapp-opt-1.jpg

Hmm, I'm extremely interested. This looks very very nice, but must see more. As others have stated, very Aston Martin looking fascia. Now if we could see the rest of the car, it's ergonomics and how well all design aspects flow together. Color me intrigued.

Of course this appears to be a high end model, so I'd also like to see how unappealing a stripped model would be.

Edited by V8-X

I can't say how I saw the prototype, but it wasn't on the street ;)

The other thing about the rear deck-lid is how short it is, it looks allot like a hatchback.. Visibility looks better out the rear because the bum is lower and less wedgey, but the rear window looks gigantic because it comes so far down across the rear deck. I don't know, it's one of those things where you recognize the problem right away as a solution to a functional concern.

I wasn't going to say much due to confidentiality agreements, but now that the design has been pretty much revealed...

I agree with your assessment of the c-pillar. The car has somewhat of a hatchback appearance with a long roof and a short decklid -- in some ways similar to the Taurus. That presents problems from a user standpoint. The rear shelf is HUGE under the window which will result in very high heat loading in warm climates. In addition, the decklid is relatively small. I've had both a Taurus and an MKS, and the trunks on these vehicles, although large, are inhibitited by the relatively small trunk opening. Sometimes something that should fit doesn't.

We'll see.

The car is attractive, however. and I'm sure will be up to snuff technically.

I wasn't going to say much due to confidentiality agreements, but now that the design has been pretty much revealed...

I agree with your assessment of the c-pillar. The car has somewhat of a hatchback appearance with a long roof and a short decklid -- in some ways similar to the Taurus. That presents problems from a user standpoint. The rear shelf is HUGE under the window which will result in very high heat loading in warm climates. In addition, the decklid is relatively small. I've had both a Taurus and an MKS, and the trunks on these vehicles, although large, are inhibitited by the relatively small trunk opening. Sometimes something that should fit doesn't.

We'll see.

The car is attractive, however. and I'm sure will be up to snuff technically.

I would almost certainly buy the Escape over the Fusion because of those cargo concerns, and the Fusion looks uncomfortably low slung and stretched out like my 1996 Taurus. The trunk rise looks unusually tall however, looks like it will be a very low opening so perhaps it will work better than the MKS and Taurus openings. I am waiting on the Lincoln now.

I would almost certainly buy the Escape over the Fusion because of those cargo concerns, and the Fusion looks uncomfortably low slung and stretched out like my 1996 Taurus. The trunk rise looks unusually tall however, looks like it will be a very low opening so perhaps it will work better than the MKS and Taurus openings. I am waiting on the Lincoln now.

The liftover of the Fusion will undoubtedly be better than the Taurus/MKS which is really high.

The Mondeo is a handsom car... One complaint I have is that I feel the profile(mainly the doors) is relatively bland, akin to the Pontiac GTO and Ford Falcon. It's as if they stylized the front and rear and left the door alone. I this isn't the case with the 13 Fusion. Can't really tell from the leak.

01.jpg

Edited by GT-Keith

fordfusion2013ipadapp-opt-1.jpg

Front grill and lights relations looks like it will fit right in with the higher spec Focus ST and Electric... Proportions look abount right: wedge from front to rear, front overhang = 2x rear overhang, etc. Looks like less rear overhang than the currrent Fusion and minimal rear decklid is carried over from the Mondeo. Seeing hints of some nice detailing along the doors... Assuming the body line along the handles will be there, and there appears to be a focus like wedge shaped lower line.

Should be interesting to see how badly they have to butcher the design for NASCAR... :shades:

At one point Ford did say they wanted to use the Mustang body in Sprint Cup for the 2013 season but then back tracked and said they were going to stick with the Fusion. Not sure if they plan to do anything with the stock car body for the upcoming season but they are doing some testing at Daytona right about now. I believe this test will be focused on the switch to fuel injection for 2012 as well the changes NASCAR has mandated for restrictor plate tracks to try and discourage the tandem drafting we saw last season. My guess is they will stick with the old "decals" for the 2012 season.

Here is a link to some pics of the prototype Mustang race car that they apparently had planned to submit to NASCAR for approval before they decided to stick with the Fusion. This is more or less a show car since it does not have a current Ford racing FR9 engine or a Cup transmission.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/2013-ford-mustang-nascar-sprint-cup-race-car-headed-to-barrett-jackson-auction.html

Edited by blksn8k2