No Orders - Focus Electric

GaryG

Look at the math! There is no engine, only a one speed transmission, no exhaust system, no gas tank or fuel system with filters, no engine gauges, no engine coolant system, no spark plugs or intake filters, no engine starter system and no emission system. On top of that, Ford wants to steal the $7,500 tax credit and battery Company subsidies. These vehicles should be selling for less than $10,000!

Look at the math! There is no engine, only a one speed transmission, no exhaust system, no gas tank or fuel system with filters, no engine gauges, no engine coolant system, no spark plugs or intake filters, no engine starter system and no emission system. On top of that, Ford wants to steal the $7,500 tax credit and battery Company subsidies. These vehicles should be selling for less than $10,000!

The batteries alone probably cost over $20K.

If you think they're so cheap why don't you go build one for $10K?

• Like 3

The batteries alone probably cost over $20K.

[/quote

The key to your comment is "probably", you have no clue!

Numerous battery companies have factories geared up to produce more batteries than manufacturers can use. Delayed model launches and slow consumer acceptance will likely result in battery prices dropping faster than expected (good news). Some manufacturers are directing excess capacity towards the grid energy storage market, also in its nascent stages.

Now, can you tell us where you pulled this probably $20K information out of? I bet it stinks down there also.

The key to your comment is "probably", you have no clue!

Numerous battery companies have factories geared up to produce more batteries than manufacturers can use. Delayed model launches and slow consumer acceptance will likely result in battery prices dropping faster than expected (good news). Some manufacturers are directing excess capacity towards the grid energy storage market, also in its nascent stages.

Now, can you tell us where you pulled this probably $20K information out of? I bet it stinks down there also.

His comment is no worse than your under 10k comment. The batteries add some of the cost back in from not having an engine. the one speed transmission doesn't have a large economy of scale either.

Edited by blazerdude20

If you think that $40,000 for one car is outrageous because they *might* be making money on it (in your opinion, Ford says this car WILL NOT be profitable, neither is the Leaf or Volt), imagine how much the engineers cost. Just consider it. Ford easily spent twice that $40,000 A DAY on salaries for Focus Electric engineers and suppliers, for close to the last 5 years.

Nobody complains that an iPad costs around $100 and sells for $500+. The Focus Electric is a technology product. You have to pay to develop it.

Just because the Focus Electric lacks certain things compared to its gasoline counterpart doesn't mean that it will automatically be cheaper. Instead of a gas engine, now there's an electric motor to deal with. Instead of the PowerShift transmission, now someone has to go and design and manufacture that one-speed transmission. Since there's no gas tank or fuel system, there's a whole system of lithium-ion batteries that need a cooling and heating system for maximum efficiency. Speaking of those batteries, someone now has to design a charger that works with either 240V or 120V and can be easily installed in someone's house. What incentive is there to keep doing this? I guess it's the tax credits and subsidies.

That being said, if the market is commanding $40K or whatever price it is (and people are paying it) for a very limited appeal car, I doubt any company will undercut their competitors by much. Going "green" seems to have its price these days (from electric cars to organic foods and recycled products). Until the marketplace balks at it, I wouldn't see any drastic price decreases just because of it.

• Like 1

Right, thought "iPhone", said "iPad".

Point remains the same.

Hmm...so (barely) make a profit on the device. Hope people buy branded accessories and apps, which create future revenue flows. Hope people also like its features, so ensure the hype of the next iteration is there to move existing customers to the new one. That way, the cycle begins all over again.

I'm feeling I'm back in Marketing class again... :)

I have the '12 Focus on google alert and didn't see that article until today in your post. All I can say is it doesn't look good for any of the electric vehicles being sold now. GM predicted 10,000 sales of the Volt for the first year and came in at 7,000. The early buyers wanting the new technology are fading now that Ford is just starting. The fact that the Volt is catching fire will not help the reputation of electric vehicles either. People are now writing articles comparing what has happen to the solar panel manufactures to the HV battery manufactures. Now that we have a gas engine Focus getting 40mpg, people just will not spend $10,000 more to drive a Focus Electric.

I still have not heard that the Focus Electric is meeting any order predictions, but sooner or later that information will be printed. I was one of the first buyers in Florida to purchase the '05 Ford Escape Hybrid, but now I am glad I backed out of purchasing the Focus Electric. A company like Google will use that vehicle to promote Google which is a good thing for them and Ford. I don't think it was an accident that Google got the first unit either.

I have the '12 Focus on google alert and didn't see that article until today in your post. All I can say is it doesn't look good for any of the electric vehicles being sold now. GM predicted 10,000 sales of the Volt for the first year and came in at 7,000. The early buyers wanting the new technology are fading now that Ford is just starting. The fact that the Volt is catching fire will not help the reputation of electric vehicles either. People are now writing articles comparing what has happen to the solar panel manufactures to the HV battery manufactures. Now that we have a gas engine Focus getting 40mpg, people just will not spend $10,000 more to drive a Focus Electric.

I still have not heard that the Focus Electric is meeting any order predictions, but sooner or later that information will be printed. I was one of the first buyers in Florida to purchase the '05 Ford Escape Hybrid, but now I am glad I backed out of purchasing the Focus Electric. A company like Google will use that vehicle to promote Google which is a good thing for them and Ford. I don't think it was an accident that Google got the first unit either.

I think there will be *some* market for EV's. If anything,a political statement or status symbol will also be attached to them. That being said, with my commute now having changed, I would have considered an EV if it were my sole transportation between my home and commuter station.

Hopefully the Focus Electric improves the image of electric cars.

After my last post here, I did get the articles with the picture of the Focus EV at Google with my google alert of the Focus. I got this google alert tonight Quote:

"As already mentioned, sticker prices will be key. Pike Research said that while consumer intellectually understand that they might pay a premium for electric vehicle technology, that premium is limited to about 18.75 percent over the price of a “traditional” gasoline-powered model. The optimal price of the residential charging equipment appears to be about $500."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/2012-will-be-a-make-or-brake-year-for-electric-vehicles/19950

Read the full article at the link!

• 1 month later...

Some more news on the Focus EV:

"That’s quite different to what we’d initially understood Ford’s plans to be, so we reached out to Ford to make sure we’d understood things correctly.

Specifically, we asked Ford to give us details on its initial sales numbers, comment on Tinskey’s comments about availability, as well as details of when pre-orders were expected to open outside of new York and California.

“We are still on track to ramp up Focus Electric retail production and availability in the first half of this year followed by 16 additional markets later this year,” said Ford spokesman Wesley Sherwood in an email last week. “We are not providing specific sales projections but continue to believe all-electric vehicles will be a small portion of the electrified vehicle mix for some time. Our initial orders are in line with this projection.”

What does this tell us? Very little, other than suggest that Ford isn’t keen to talk about its Focus Electric rollout plans at the moment.

And that leaves us to draw one sad conclusion: For most customers, the wait for a new 2012 Ford Focus Electric might be a little longer than they’d initially hoped."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072974_2012-ford-focus-wont-be-available-outside-ny-ca-until-sept

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I was afraid of:

"It went on sale three months ago, and given its ratings, you might expect them to be flying out of the dealerships--or at least selling a fraction of what the Leaf does.

No such luck.

Instead, despite its class-topping ratings, a total of precisely 10 Focus Electrics were sold in December, January, and February: 7 of the cars squeaked into December sales, then 3 in January, but none at all were delivered last month."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1073894_2012-ford-focus-electric-105-mpge-76-mile-range-10-sales

I would not give you 20 bucks for any electric or hybrid until you can come to me and make a business case for it. And none of you can including our nut job president of the USA> Wake me up when they are affordable and make sense.

I honestly feel this is a waste of Ford resources and a joke. Im not buying into this green energy crap because it is NOT practical. WTF are people thinking????

I would not give you 20 bucks for any electric or hybrid until you can come to me and make a business case for it. And none of you can including our nut job president of the USA> Wake me up when they are affordable and make sense.

I honestly feel this is a waste of Ford resources and a joke. Im not buying into this green energy crap because it is NOT practical. WTF are people thinking????

I don't need your $20 bucks, but I can see you don't know shit about anything. You are the nut job, not the President! Chevys' your handle would be Toyoda if it were not for your President you asshole. WTF are people thinking? You just gave an example

• Like 1

...... Wake me up when they are affordable and make sense.

Stop hitting the "snooze" button and get up! The Focus Electric is the first car that doesn't need "special" chassis tuning and funky styling to be an EV...it is a mainstream Focus and will set the "Standard" for other manufacturers to follow. Ford will complement Focus Electric when they roll out Focus Hybrid and Energi variants to sell along side them.

I don't need your $20 bucks, but I can see you don't know shit about anything. You are the nut job, not the President! Chevys' your handle would be Toyoda if it were not for your President you asshole. WTF are people thinking? You just gave an example

Then make a business case for it. This is Fords version of the Volt that does not sell or make any business sense. Tell me what I dont know about business. Why pay 40 grand for an electric car that will go what 75 miles. Oh, I forgot the rebate that the tax payers eat.

Lets see, I can buy a fiesta for 15 grand and save at least 15 grand. 15 grand still buys a lot of gas. God help you down the road when the battery goes out. What will that cost and what is the cheaper vehicle to operate over its lifetime???? Dude, this is a no brainer and you tree hugging nuts are out to lunch. Fail.

Then make a business case for it. This is Fords version of the Volt that does not sell or make any business sense. Tell me what I dont know about business. Why pay 40 grand for an electric car that will go what 75 miles. Oh, I forgot the rebate that the tax payers eat.

Lets see, I can buy a fiesta for 15 grand and save at least 15 grand. 15 grand still buys a lot of gas. God help you down the road when the battery goes out. What will that cost and what is the cheaper vehicle to operate over its lifetime???? Dude, this is a no brainer and you tree hugging nuts are out to lunch. Fail.

It's not about cost savings right now. It's about reducing emissions and our dependence on oil. And it's about working out the kinks with the technology so one day you can go 400 miles on one charge.

It's not about cost savings right now. It's about reducing emissions and our dependence on oil. And it's about working out the kinks with the technology so one day you can go 400 miles on one charge.

From what I see happening, manufactures have brought a vehicle to the market and had to price it out of the market. There is no question the Focus EV is on the high end of technology as their hybrids are also. I was ready to get one but the price stopped me cold. Giving up the room of my FEH was hard, but I have the '11 Explorer for those times I need the room. It's when I drive my '12 Focus that I can't see spending over 40,000 for that kind of vehicle. Even if the Fusion was available in EV at that price, it would be hard for me to justify. Sticker shock comes to mine for me.

If it's true that Ford only sold 10 Focus EV's in 3 months, it reminds me of the shock I felt when the big 3 announced needing bailout money. We made it through all that but Ford didn't need to surprise everyone with sticker shock the day the Focus EV was available to order. Ford could have estimated the cost long before then. I hope Ford doesn't pull that same market strategy with the plug-in hybrids this year.

From what I see happening, manufactures have brought a vehicle to the market and had to price it out of the market. There is no question the Focus EV is on the high end of technology as their hybrids are also. I was ready to get one but the price stopped me cold. Giving up the room of my FEH was hard, but I have the '11 Explorer for those times I need the room. It's when I drive my '12 Focus that I can't see spending over 40,000 for that kind of vehicle. Even if the Fusion was available in EV at that price, it would be hard for me to justify. Sticker shock comes to mine for me.

If it's true that Ford only sold 10 Focus EV's in 3 months, it reminds me of the shock I felt when the big 3 announced needing bailout money. We made it through all that but Ford didn't need to surprise everyone with sticker shock the day the Focus EV was available to order. Ford could have estimated the cost long before then. I hope Ford doesn't pull that same market strategy with the plug-in hybrids this year.

The only one with sticker shock was you. Anybody who expected the price for a full electric vehicle to be anything less than $40K was delusional.