SHO Explorer??

onebadf150

I was searching around the internet and came up this this webpage saying there might be a ford explorer sho in the works? I think it would be awesome to have a sports crossover similar to the srt jeep with the 3.5L ecoboost. Does anyone have any info on this?

its coming, not sure when, but its a go.

How much is a Taurus SHO or a Mustang GT500? They don't need to sell a lot of them.

Since the engineering is already done for Taurus/Flex, adding ecoboost to explorer would be more of an evolutionary change.

I could see a lot of added sales, especially in higher series trims. Maybe even an Explorer EL with Flex's 117.9" wheelbase...

Edited by jpd80

While this sounds intriguing, this will obviously be a level above the Limited. What the heck is it going to sticker at $52,000??? I can't see too many buyers there.

A loaded out Taurus Limited is 42K and a loaded SHO is about $45K

both start far lower then that...a SHO starts at 38K or so

A loaded out Taurus Limited is 42K and a loaded SHO is about $45K

both start far lower then that...a SHO starts at 38K or so

A well loaded Flex Limited w/EcoBoost is around $48K sticker, so I don't see why a loaded Explorer SHO wouldn't be under $50K. I for one hope we see an Explorer SHO at the NAIAS in January so I can finally make up my mind on what to buy next.

Makes you wonder why there isn't an Explorer SHO already...

all depends...if it has the SHO moniker and not just the word Eco slapped on the side, may mean a slightly different avenue of thought, more limited production, higher output.....and, perhaps more sporting and extreme....fingers crossed

we are currently moving every Eco Titanium flex we can get our hands on...$50k plus....

Nov. 2011 Flex sales dropped 13.1 percent to 2163. That vehicle has a long way to ge before it's a winner. I'm actually surprised they bothered to do a redesign on it for 2012.

Nov. 2011 Flex sales dropped 13.1 percent to 2163. That vehicle has a long way to ge before it's a winner. I'm actually surprised they bothered to do a redesign on it for 2012.

they seem to do well here in So Cal, and Ive had a few people drive them back to back with Explorers they initially thought they wanted, only to change their minds....

It sells well in certain areas (like California) and not so well in others. It will never be a huge volume vehicle but it doesn't need to be in order to be successful.

Just my opinion but I think the SHO " moniker " should be unique to the Taurus, give the Explorer something else.

I was told SHO, but who knows....and because its based on the floorplan it is, i dont think the engine will be tweeked enough to earn SVT status....

• 2 months later...

In December 2010 I spoke with the Explorer Marketing Manager and he said the plan was the 3.5 EcoBoost for the 2013 MY. At this point, I'm not sure if anything has changed, but dealers can't get enough of EcoBoost F150's and Explorer is selling well without it. I would not be surprised to see a delay until supply improves or demand for Explorer wanes a bit.