Brothers make tribute video for Mom who died when Explorer rolled

Article from Autoblog.

Controversial topic for sure, but a touching video if you can skip past the politics of it all.

I think the only used Explorers that need to be avoided are the 1995-2001 (2nd Gen btw) models, that's when the former "Twin Traction Beam" front suspension was replaced with a very soft carlike independent front suspension that also raised the vehicle's height and center of gravity. This seems to be the series of Explorers that have the higher rollover risk and the ones most effected by the Firestone fiasco. While I don't think Ford should buyback these REALLY old vehicles now (many of which the government took care of thanks to "Cash for Clunkers"), I think it's one of those vehicles to avoid like the Toyota Previa, Chevy Astro/Safari, GM (post dust-buster) minivans, and Chevy S-10 platform products due to their VERY poor crash performances.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

It's a tragic story for sure, and no family should be put through the same loss as this, but seriously, the family have a lawsuit against Ford and to me, this reeks of a sympathy vote in the lead up to the trial. I would hope that if this is the case, the family begrudgingly used the kids at the lawyers demands...

Also, all cars can crash and kill someone, should we recall every last car on the road for being dangerous?

I'm tired of this Explorer roll over BS.

I drove a 1997 Eplorer for 6 months when they tore up 5 miles of road south of me. The detour for me was 7 miles of gravel and 3 of that went through the middle of a slough.

Because of the traffic that 3 miles was soft and torn up. I drove that Explorer like a rally car and it never got CLOSE to losing control.

1: Keep your tires aired up!

2: When your shocks/struts get worn, REPLACE THEM!

3: Learn how to drive!

4: Take some personal responsability! My sister-in-law rolled an Explorer. How you ask? Bacause she drove too fast for the road conditions that day and paid the price. She's never blamed the truck for her bad decision.

There recently was a pile-up on I90 because of irresponsible driving, a pickup/camper rearended a plow truck that was out sanding. Time to ban all pickups pulling campers! Common sense has become a dirty phrase in this society and everyone is a victim.

• Like 3

Article from Autoblog.

Controversial topic for sure, but a touching video if you can skip past the politics of it all.

I think the only used Explorers that need to be avoided are the 1995-2001 (2nd Gen btw) models, that's when the former "Twin Traction Beam" front suspension was replaced with a very soft carlike independent front suspension that also raised the vehicle's height and center of gravity. This seems to be the series of Explorers that have the higher rollover risk and the ones most effected by the Firestone fiasco. While I don't think Ford should buyback these REALLY old vehicles now (many of which the government took care of thanks to "Cash for Clunkers"), I think it's one of those vehicles to avoid like the Toyota Previa, Chevy Astro/Safari, GM (post dust-buster) minivans, and Chevy S-10 platform products due to their VERY poor crash performances.

"

While acknowledging the tragic loss of life, it's important to remember that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigated the Ford Explorer and found it just as safe – or just as dangerous, as the case may be – as any other sport utility vehicle of the same era, which, importantly, was before stability control had hit the market in real numbers (and long before it became federally mandated, which was only recently). Independent tests were also carried out, none of which found the Ford Explorer to be particularly unsafe. Vehicles with high ground clearance and four-wheel drive are often afflicted with a higher center of gravity, making them easier to roll than passenger cars that sit closer to the ground.

For what it's worth, Firestone did recall 14.4 million tires, including the ones fitted as standard equipment on many Ford Explorers built between 1991 and 2000, due to "a safety-related defect" (read: tread separation). But it isn't Firestone that the Miller boys' video targets, it's the Ford Motor Company.

In response to a query from The Huffington Post, Ford spokesperson Marcey Evans said that the automaker was "familiar with this tragic accident and our sympathy goes out to the family involved." Evans added, "We believe it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time as the family has brought a lawsuit against Ford, which is coming up for trial later this year."

"

Source : Autoblog

Edited by mercury_1988
  • Like 1

Tragic and disgusting at the same time.

But it's not as bad as the idiot who was driving drunk, ran off the road, rolled the Explorer and killed himself and one or two passengers who were not wearing seatbelts. The family sued Ford because Ford didn't use windshield style safety glass in the door windows which would have kept the drunk incapacitated no seatbelt wearing idiots inside the vehicle when it rolled. And they won. I know Ford appealed the verdict but I never heard the final outcome.

We need some serious legal reforms around liability lawsuits.

• Like 2

I drove a 1997 Eplorer for 6 months when they tore up 5 miles of road south of me. The detour for me was 7 miles of gravel and 3 of that went through the middle of a slough.

Because of the traffic that 3 miles was soft and torn up. I drove that Explorer like a rally car and it never got CLOSE to losing control.

1: Keep your tires aired up!

2: When your shocks/struts get worn, REPLACE THEM!

3: Learn how to drive!

4: Take some personal responsability! My sister-in-law rolled an Explorer. How you ask? Bacause she drove too fast for the road conditions that day and paid the price. She's never blamed the truck for her bad decision.

There recently was a pile-up on I90 because of irresponsible driving, a pickup/camper rearended a plow truck that was out sanding. Time to ban all pickups pulling campers! Common sense has become a dirty phrase in this society and everyone is a victim.

Vehicles just don't ROLL OVER by themselves, they roll over due to DRIVER ERROR. Common panic move by driver when tire blows is to brake and oversteer when not braking and keeping wheel straight is the correct move. Doing former can mean roll over even in vehicle with low center of gravity let alone a vehicle with high center of gravity such as SUV, or Minivan.

I drove a Bronco ll for 10 years, put 225,000 miles on it, and it had greater tendancy to roll over than Explorer, and I knew that and drove accordingly. No fast driving on tight curves like entrance and exit ramps, made sure tires were always good and good tire pressure, and always knew what to do if tire blew or deflated rapidly at speed. Stay off the fricking brakes and keep steering wheel as straight as possible until speed is much lower. Works everytime. One has to be prepared for emergencies as your life and passengers lives depend upon it.

Will never understand how any auto manufacturer can lose lawsuit on rollover even if roof strength is deficient considering driver error was cause of rollover in first place. Again, vehicles don't roll over by themselves, they need help as in driver doing everything wrong as in driving too fast into curve or panicking at speed going straight when tire deflates rapidly.

Tragic and disgusting at the same time.

But it's not as bad as the idiot who was driving drunk, ran off the road, rolled the Explorer and killed himself and one or two passengers who were not wearing seatbelts. The family sued Ford because Ford didn't use windshield style safety glass in the door windows which would have kept the drunk incapacitated no seatbelt wearing idiots inside the vehicle when it rolled. And they won. I know Ford appealed the verdict but I never heard the final outcome.

We need some serious legal reforms around liability lawsuits.

I believe that Ford has rightfully won every lawsuit pertaining to Explorer/Firestone rollovers and injury/death save for maybe a couple. Driving a moving vehicle can be dangerous to life, especially if not well trained or completely lacking in aptitude to the task of driving itself. Also add in driving and drugs of many kinds plus major distractions like talking/texting on hand held phone that is equal to driving on drugs.

What is amazing to me is that every morning in Metro Detroit including this morning is the number of rollovers on our freeways. Many of them are not even trucks/SUVs, but often sedans. It seems like 3-4 every morning during rush hour, sometimes more if road conditions are not ideal. Most of the time cause it's excessive speed where someone gets clipped and loses control. The cops out there can set their radar guns at 90mph and give tickets all day and night. It's astounding to me that there is not more serious injury and death. What's truly traigic is that often the innocent are killed instead of the reckless driver.

You guys are being so insensitive!

There is a story out there few weeks ago that I didn't read fully because it pissed me off, but gist was that drunk driver that killed a couple of people was suing his victims! Now that is insensitive in the extreme. As Pioneer said, only in America. Some of the headlines make you question your sanity.

• Like 1

There is a story out there few weeks ago that I didn't read fully because it pissed me off, but gist was that drunk driver that killed a couple of people was suing his victims! Now that is insensitive in the extreme. As Pioneer said, only in America. Some of the headlines make you question your sanity.

Florida Man Guilty of DUI Manslaughter Sues Victim

The only person this loser could find to represent him is his own sister.

Only in America. This guy should have been executed the day the guilty verdict was handed down, with his family billed for the bullet.

Six eyewitnesses said McWilliams was stopped a red light when Belniak, at 70 to 90 mph, and never veering or braking, rear-ended him, Deskins said.

The event data recorder in McWilliams’ vehicle showed it was not moving at the time of impact, she added. And prior to the incident, citizens had called Florida Highway Patrol to say Belniak had been driving out of control, she said.

Father owned a 1995 Explorer 4x4 for roughly 7yrs. I owned a 1999 Explorer AWD for roughly 3+yrs. Never did we ever encounter any potential chance of these vehicles rolling. Then again, we both were/are well versed in driving top heavy with high ground clearance vehicles.

While I feel for anyone who dies or is injured in an auto accident, too many times the accident is caused by an individual who simply cannot/doesn't know how to drive said vehicle, are distracted or simply are driving to recklessly for the road conditions.

Anyways, like a previous post stated, many independent research agencies have cleared the Explorer of any wrong doing. These agencies chalked up said accidents to two reasons, typically both working hand in hand. 1) Poorly maintained vehicle and 2) Driver error/over correction.

I specifically remember 20/20 doing an investigation. They ran many tests with this era Explorer, blowing out a tire on each corner multiple times to see the results. Each test showed that the Explorer would simply drift in that particular direction. Never a jerk or drastic pull. They tested with the drivers hands on the wheel, and even did multiple tries with the driver taking his hands off the wheel completely, and not once did the test show it ever drastically losing control. They also tested it's rollover limits by putting those poles with wheels on the side and conducted excessive over correction maneuvers, even at high rates of speed. Only in the most extreme of conditions did it ever attempt to roll-over (which it didn't). And only once did it roll-over so much that it actually hit the poles/wheels. So the 20/20 report, basically cleared the Explorer of any liability in these accidents and chalked it up to driver error.

Edited by V8-X

Father owned a 1995 Explorer 4x4 for roughly 7yrs. I owned a 1999 Explorer AWD for roughly 3+yrs. Never did we ever encounter any potential chance of these vehicles rolling. Then again, we both were/are well versed in driving top heavy with high ground clearance vehicles.

While I feel for anyone who dies or is injured in an auto accident, too many times the accident is caused by an individual who simply cannot/doesn't know how to drive said vehicle, are distracted or simply are driving to recklessly for the road conditions.

Anyways, like a previous post stated, many independent research agencies have cleared the Explorer of any wrong doing. These agencies chalked up said accidents to two reasons, typically both working hand in hand. 1) Poorly maintained vehicle and 2) Driver error/over correction.

I specifically remember 20/20 doing an investigation. They ran many tests with this era Explorer, blowing out a tire on each corner multiple times to see the results. Each test showed that the Explorer would simply drift in that particular direction. Never a jerk or drastic pull. They tested with the drivers hands on the wheel, and even did multiple tries with the driver taking his hands off the wheel completely, and not once did the test show it ever drastically losing control. They also tested it's rollover limits by putting those poles with wheels on the side and conducted excessive over correction maneuvers, even at high rates of speed. Only in the most extreme of conditions did it ever attempt to roll-over (which it didn't). And only once did it roll-over so much that it actually hit the poles/wheels. So the 20/20 report, basically cleared the Explorer of any liability in these accidents and chalked it up to driver error.

It's the combination of braking/overbraking and oversteering that causes the vehicle to rollover. Many drivers mistakenly believe that braking increases traction when if fact it reduces traction. That is why you always slow down BEFORE a curve, never in it or at apex of curve. At apex, you should actually be back on the power. The race driver that is on the brakes last and on accelerator first in turn will maintain the most momentum through that curve. Many drivers don't or don't want to understand the law of physics as it applies to a vehicle, so they get hurt or worse.

This past summer I was talking to a racing instructor who told his student to take his time getting back on race surface if he happened to slip the vehicle off surface, and so what did the student do? Of course he gets off of asphalt and proceeds to oversteer and flips a fricking low slung sports car with instructor in it. A $75,000 sports car with roll bars that saved the heads of both from serious dents. Even when you are sitting with student and telling them what to do, often they won't listen. You actually have to be ready to grab their hands as you know they are going to go crazy with wheel and braking.

Wasn't there a class action lawsuit against Crown Vic's for fuel tank explosions? Trial Lawyers were expecting the cars to be indestructible by trucks rear ending them at 70 mph+.

Most lawsuits filed are by some lawyers, hoping for an "out of court settlement" to avoid a trial.

Edited by 630land

She had a blowout and she hit the brakes. She rolled the car. While it's too bad she died and the kids are without a Mom, people do not know how to drive it such a situation because it hardly ever happens.

Case in point, I pull a 27' travel trailer, and it's a question of WHEN, not if you will have a severe sway problem. I constantly review with my wife what you do to pull the trailer "in line" with the tow vehicle. You reach down and gently pull the lever on the trailer brake controller to bring the trailer back in to position. If you hit the brakes on the tow vehicle disaster will happen.

She had a blowout and she hit the brakes. She rolled the car. While it's too bad she died and the kids are without a Mom, people do not know how to drive it such a situation because it hardly ever happens.

Case in point, I pull a 27' travel trailer, and it's a question of WHEN, not if you will have a severe sway problem. I constantly review with my wife what you do to pull the trailer "in line" with the tow vehicle. You reach down and gently pull the lever on the trailer brake controller to bring the trailer back in to position. If you hit the brakes on the tow vehicle disaster will happen.

When something like that happens, instinct takes over, and, in that instant, you don't have time to think about what to do. So many times, instinct tells you to hit the brakes, and unless you have practiced it over and over, instinct is going to prevail. Like you said, it hardly ever happens, so you need to practice as you do with the TBC. I run that through my head many many times while towing. It not only helps keep me prepared, but keeps me alert and always thinking about that big trailer behind me as well.

Really? Are you honestly making the argument that because you drove the SUV for 6 months and never rolled it, the roll over issues must be the other drivers' fault?

I've smoked a few cigarettes and don't have lung cancer. Obviously, cigarettes don't cause cancer.

I drove once after drinking too much. I didn't kill anyone. Obviously, anyone who causes an accident while drunk must be a bad driver. The alcohol has nothing to do with it.

My 6 year old lit a match the other day without setting the house on fire. All small children should play with matches -- any kid who gets hurt is an idiot.

Need I go on?

Really? Are you honestly making the argument that because you drove the SUV for 6 months and never rolled it, the roll over issues must be the other drivers' fault?

I've smoked a few cigarettes and don't have lung cancer. Obviously, cigarettes don't cause cancer.

I drove once after drinking too much. I didn't kill anyone. Obviously, anyone who causes an accident while drunk must be a bad driver. The alcohol has nothing to do with it.

My 6 year old lit a match the other day without setting the house on fire. All small children should play with matches -- any kid who gets hurt is an idiot.

Need I go on?

How about statistics that showed the Explorer roll over rate was no worse than other similar vehicles per mile driven (like the Blazer e.g.).

Yes. If you roll a mechanically sound Explorer after a blow-out, you, the driver, screwed the pooch.

One of the dubious benefits of being a poverty-stricken (my parents were comfortably middle class--I was poor) college student and young professional was that I had lots of experience with a variety of vehicles in various states of repair, most of which had tires of dubious quality (as Hank Williams said, my tires and tubes were doing fine, but the air was showing through). As a result, I had lots of experience with blowouts in different conditions and in different vehicles.

As you can see, every time it happened, the vehicle rolled and I died. Oh, wait, my bad, every time it happened, I calmly pulled over to the side of the road and changed the tire. I'll never forget the time I had a blow-out in my '72 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 flat-bed--it was spectacular, with doors and fenders everywhere. Oh, wait, my bad again, it was a non-event (unless you count having to walk eight miles back to the house to get a not-quite-shot tire for the truck).

BTW, my dad had the driver's-side front tire blow out while he was driving my '99 Explorer. I know the suspense is killing you, so I'll just tell you that he pulled over and changed the tire, then went on his merry way...

How about statistics that showed the Explorer roll over rate was no worse than other similar vehicles per mile driven (like the Blazer e.g.).

From what I've read, and don't have the source handy, but the Gen II Explorer was considered the 3rd safest SUV of it's class for that era, only behind the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee if I remember correctly.

From what I've read, and don't have the source handy, but the Gen II Explorer was considered the 3rd safest SUV of it's class for that era, only behind the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee if I remember correctly.

Too many people went crazy for SUVs and didn't read the manual, stuff about how it's a higher-center-of-gravity vehicle and has to be driven as such.

Car magazines, independent labs, and gov't groups all studied the wrecks forever, and the common element is: panicky drivers.

^Not even reading the manual, common sense. You don't drive an SUV like a car and you don't make sudden twitchy movements in them either. Imagine some of these people trying to drive with a trailer and driving like they do, they'd have the thing jacknifed rolled over in a ditch right quick.

I guess I'm at some what of an advantage driving go karts and 4 wheelers when I grew up, and the first thing I drove was a 95 F350 4x4 when I was about 10 years old, and was driving with heavy trailers (for a one ton) not long after I got my license, but the complete lack of ability for some people is astonishing. I really think there should be stricter guidelines on acquiring a driver's license in this country.

Now, all of that said, you can't predict how you'll react in every circumstance, and there are going to be times when you panick and do the wrong thing. I guess it is just a matter of education and experience.