2013 Lincoln MKZ Revealed

The concept was MUCH better in person because of the subtle creases and details that just don't show up well in photos. I think the same is definitely true of this production model. The front end is especially subtle compared to the last generation but the details will POP when you're less than a few feet away! The rear is much more dramatically sculpted than the last generation or pretty much anything else on the road in this segment. It's interesting to note that most people didn't like the rear of the Fusion as mcuh as they LOVED the front end. I know I felt that way. On this car, it's exactly the opposite. Hmmm are we sure the same designers weren't used by Lincoln and Ford? LOL

Edited by hbalek

The fascia has a narrow pinched-in look with the headlights stopping before they hit the shoulder line of the fenders instead of wrapping into them. This effect was exaggerated on the concept which made it look like it had a massive jaw wrapping around the front end of the car for some undesirable proportions. The production car pulls that in a bit, but the effect is still there.

Overall I think the design of the MKZ still has quite a few peculiarities to it, but it will make a positive impression overall.

I'm really digging the car so far....it might be a dark horse candidate for me...it might slot nicely with me wanting a Sporty Fusion and I'd bet that a V6 equipped MKZ would cost around the same as a SHO or slightly less depending on options with better luxury and interior space....

It looks great in red...I'd really like to see it in black or dark blue...

I'm hoping for a different antenna for the MKZ. The rear quarter and separate sat antenna seems antiquated, a few generations old. I feel a light-footed EB20 could give a 328 a run for the money.

The EB20 would probably be enough for the average person, but I bet the 3.7 will stomp it with no issue at all. Also even though a lot of improvement has been made on 4 cylinders over the years the 3.7 is likely to be a smoother more refined experience. Sure you take a hit on fuel economy, but if you don't have money for fuel you probably aren't considering this car in the first place. In the real world with mixed driving conditions the 3.7 might not actually do a whole lot worse, especially if you get into the turbo a lot on the EB.

Additional thoughts:

First off, I wish I didn't still have payments on my Edge. :hysterical: I really like it. If Lincoln continues in this direction, they will most definitely be on my shopping list when it's time for a new ride.

About the grille: While very similar to the concept, I kind of like how the concept's "whiskers" are inset a bit more compared to the outline edging. Only real complaint there.

As for the complaint ANTAUS made about the separate MFT and HVAC controls: Having lived with it in my Edge for the past year and a half, I can say having the redundant buttons is nice. They don't clutter up the console, so I'm just fine with them being there. More choice is rarely a bad thing.

I absolutely love the pass-through under the center console. The one in my Edge is useful now and then to stowing something you don't need to reach often, but that space in the MKZ looks a lot more convenient and usable.

On the rear fascia: I love the tail light treatment and "LINCOLN" script. I'm not so sure about the gray swath of plastic on the bottom though. It will probably be much less obvious though from higher viewing positions instead of the typical laying-on-the-ground press shots.

All in all I would give this a solid 8.5/10 from first impressions.

It is becoming obvious that the 3.7 is just a hold over until the EB2.7 is ready.

and it confirms for the Record that EUCD can fit a V6.

How is that "becoming obvious"? I think the 3.7 is a terrific powerplant. I doubt it's going to be gone anytime soon.

I am in love with this car. It is extremely distinctive. It is very classy, American, and sporty without sacrificing a luxury image ( something I think all the Germans have given up ). I can't wait to see this car in black, blue, and red. I did find a pic online of the tan interior and it is stunning. Just stunning.

How is that "becoming obvious"? I think the 3.7 is a terrific powerplant. I doubt it's going to be gone anytime soon.

the EB2.7 will blow it away.

look at the gap in economy between 2.0 and the 3.7

HWY, 33 vs 26 or 25% increase in economy.

I am in love with this car. It is extremely distinctive. It is very classy, American, and sporty without sacrificing a luxury image ( something I think all the Germans have given up ). I can't wait to see this car in black, blue, and red. I did find a pic online of the tan interior and it is stunning. Just stunning.

I totally agree. Problem is I had to get a new '12 when the lease ended on the '10- I couldn't order the 13 because the order bank wasn't open . Have to wait another year and a half, but guarantee this is the next one for me.

That's FWD on the 2.0 & AWD on the 3.7. Read.

Exactly. Apples to apples, there isn't a whole lot of difference in economy compared to output. I'm sure the 2.7 EB has the potential to be a great engine also, but that doesn't mean the 3.7 immediately goes by the wayside whenever it finally shows up -- especially in bulk applications like as the F-series base motor.

Edited by NickF1011

That's FWD on the 2.0 & AWD on the 3.7. Read.

-2 mpg hwy

that 31 mpg Vs 26 mpg.

Exactly. Apples to apples, there isn't a whole lot of difference in economy compared to output. I'm sure the 2.7 EB has the potential to be a great engine also, but that doesn't mean the 3.7 immediately goes by the wayside whenever it finally shows up -- especially in bulk applications like as the F-series base motor.

a potential 320 hp engine with potentially better fuel economy than the EB20.

there would be no reason to keep the 3.7 around for any Lincoln model.

So does the glass go all the way back or not? That's the second video that suggests it doesn't. :redcard:

Judging by the specs they give in the video (and overlaying them over the opening while the voiceover says "when fully extended")...I'm going to say that's as far as it goes. That's still a pretty damned big opening.

That video also shows a different wheel design. :) Why doesn't Ford release more photos of different versions of its cars? Ford usually only releases one interior color ( ALWAYS black....yuck ) and only two or three exterior colors. Other car makers show off various versions in different colors.

If they can manage to squeeze out 80 more horsepower than the 2.0 EB and increase fuel economy, then yeah, I'd be sold. That seems like quite a stretch though.

And I was never referring to the 3.7 as remaining for Lincoln, just as an overall option for Ford powertrains.

-2 mpg hwy

that 31 mpg Vs 26 mpg.

EB27 better than EB20 in fuel economy? Not likely, nano or not.

Better than TiVCT 3.7, in power AND fuel economy AND technology, you bet. But the 3.7 may be cheaper to make, so it'll still have its place.

Better than TiVCT 3.7, in power AND fuel economy AND technology, you bet. But the 3.7 may be cheaper to make, so it'll still have its place.

And it's not as if Ford hasn't shown a willingness to update its current powertrains lately. I imagine the 3.7 will become more efficient as time passes also.