Ford Focus Bucking Trends Toward Automatics

Sales of vehicles with manual transmissions have hovered around 4 percent the past two years, down from a decade high of 8.5 percent in 2002.

At least one car is bucking that trend: the 2012 Ford Focus.

A growing number of customers are opting for a Focus with a manual transmission, and Ford Motor Co. says those sales are 50 percent higher than anticipated. They're expected to rise to as high as 10 percent of all Focus sales when the Titanium 5-speed, which began its roll out last month, is sold nationwide.

50322345.jpg

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120412/AUTO03/204120358#ixzz1ruMlnc2J

Edited by MKII

This certainly has to be part of the explanation, and maybe the larger portion.

But at the same time, I think you might have to look at the demographics too...i'd venture to guess that most people under the age of 30 don't know how to drive a stick since Automatics are found in 95% of cars since they started driving. I don't think most people know how to drive a stick these days....

Not to mention 10% of Focus sales are only what? 20K cars a year if it sells 200K units a year?

Is the Focus unit a Ford tranny, or did they use someone else's?

I ask because the last domestic 5-spd I drove (a GM unit) was balky as hell. My Ranger is a 5-speed, but it's a Mazda 5-speed (or maybe Mitsubishi, I'm not sure which).

Good question. I have a manual 2012 Focus hatch... I think it is incredibly clunky. I previously owned a Mazda3 5 speed and felt that it was very smooth in the shifts. After driving this one, I just might get an auto next go around. Mostly because I want to get a Fusion :shift:

• Like 1

Good question. I have a manual 2012 Focus hatch... I think it is incredibly clunky. I previously owned a Mazda3 5 speed and felt that it was very smooth in the shifts. After driving this one, I just might get an auto next go around. Mostly because I want to get a Fusion :shift:

Huh, I don't find mine to be clunky at all.

Is the Focus unit a Ford tranny, or did they use someone else's?

I ask because the last domestic 5-spd I drove (a GM unit) was balky as hell. My Ranger is a 5-speed, but it's a Mazda 5-speed (or maybe Mitsubishi, I'm not sure which).

it is a ford transaxle, the same 5 spd used in the old contour SVT,

I think it feels goo, low effort, positive fell.

you need to Drive one, and make up your own mind.

This certainly has to be part of the explanation, and maybe the larger portion.

it has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with thebuyer perceptions about the way the car drives, it feels like a sport sedan, so purist want a manual.

Not to mention 10% of Focus sales are only what? 20K cars a year if it sells 200K units a year?

snatching defeat from victory again.

attracting new buyers to the brand, is priceless, and should never be undervalued.

I don't think it's clunky, but the gears are spaced further apart than in the MZ3, on the other hand the shifter is closer to the driver in the focus.

But at the same time, I think you might have to look at the demographics too...i'd venture to guess that most people under the age of 30 don't know how to drive a stick since Automatics are found in 95% of cars since they started driving. I don't think most people know how to drive a stick these days....

I know 20 and 30-somethings that bought new manual transmission vehicles they didn't know how to drive. They learned.

10% manual take rate isn't bad since you can only get one in either a fully stripped or fully loaded Focus.

The article doesn't include what would really be the most interesting/useful data: how the Focus compares to other compact cars, not to the market in general. How does a 10 percent take rate compare to Civic, Mazda3, Cruze and so on?

You can do a nationwide new car listings search of all four vehicles on AutoTrader, Cars.com, AOLAutos, etc., filter by transmission type, and then calculate the respective proportions of manual tranny equipped cars compared to the total. This is rather unscientific, but it should provide the comparative data you're seeking.

You can do a nationwide new car listings search of all four vehicles on AutoTrader, Cars.com, AOLAutos, etc., filter by transmission type, and then calculate the respective proportions of manual tranny equipped cars compared to the total. This is rather unscientific, but it should provide the comparative data you're seeking.

That will just tell you what's available, not the rate at which they are selling. A manual may sit on the lot for 6 weeks and an auto for 3 days or vice versa. I agree with DC Car Examiner though, as that would be the telling number...how does it compare with others in it's class.

I don't think it's clunky, but the gears are spaced further apart than in the MZ3, on the other hand the shifter is closer to the driver in the focus.

I guess the gears are the reason, I feel like I have to feather the clutch a lot. That or I need to stop releasing my foot so fast.

That will just tell you what's available, not the rate at which they are selling. A manual may sit on the lot for 6 weeks and an auto for 3 days or vice versa.

You raise a good point there, fordmantpw. Makes me wonder: is a sale, in the context of the Edmunds.com and Ford Motor Company data in the Detroit News article, recorded when the manufacturer invoices a vehicle to a dealership, or when the vehicle is registered and titled to a customer?

You raise a good point there, fordmantpw. Makes me wonder: is a sale, in the context of the Edmunds.com and Ford Motor Company data in the Detroit News article, recorded when the manufacturer invoices a vehicle to a dealership, or when the vehicle is registered and titled to a customer?

I think (but I may be wrong) that FMC counts it as a sale when it is invoiced to the dealer, but Edmunds and others look at actual registrations. Again, I'm not certain on that, but I think that is how it works.

it has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with thebuyer perceptions about the way the car drives, it feels like a sport sedan, so purist want a manual.

Don't make a declarative statement unless you have data. I don't have data either. But I do know -- most unfortunately -- that there has been bad press and internet chat on the Getrag dual clutch which logically might lead some buyers to choose the manual over the auto.