New Fusion is Laden With Driver Aids

"Edmunds.com says: Ford isn't the only one offering these systems, but only time will tell if consumers are willing to pay for them."

Oh, other companies have this technology. But we are going to bash Ford because everyone else has been bashing Ford's technology. They even mention the Taurus has most of the same tech. But the didn't bash the Taurus for it.

More "jump on the bandwagon" journalism.

There are lots of Ford haters out there and that includes many publications. Sheeple will hear that stuff and begin repeating it with absolutely no basis for said statements. Most Ford haters you speak to will talk about their 1979 Granada that would stall out in the damp weather and no one could fix it. They haven't driven one since so that is their only guideline.

http://www.insidelin...re-debated.html

• Consumer Reports, which hammered Ford last week for the shortcomings of the MyFord Touch system, said the "data is unclear" on the benefits of some of the driver aids.

Really?

This Inside Line article would have you believe that CR is slamming Ford, but the only blog I can find is titled "Vehicle technology can help save lives if drivers know how to use it" dated August 29th (Wed). It does not mention Ford at all, but does say:

"Even if these technologies are in every vehicle in the future, the question is will they be used and will they be effective. Initial studies have found some of these technologies help, while others do not and drivers may not be using them to their full benefit."

I can find no reference to this quote which according to Inside Line is contained in the CR's blogs (but I'm still looking). Perhaps CR included it in a previous review? Dunno.:

"Consumer Reports also said that Ford did not address "whether more consumers are demanding back-up cameras and aids because visibility is getting so much worse in many cars.""

I'm looking in the public area because I refuse to give CR any of my money for a subscription, but if any of you do have an on-line account, see if you can find the original source.

I don't understand how poor rear visibility is a safety issue. In college I drove a high cube delivery van with NO rear visibility at all. That's why you have side mirrors. Backing out of a parking space is the only time I can see that it's a problem and that's certainly not a "safety" issue per se.

I don't understand how poor rear visibility is a safety issue. In college I drove a high cube delivery van with NO rear visibility at all. That's why you have side mirrors. Backing out of a parking space is the only time I can see that it's a problem and that's certainly not a "safety" issue per se.

Plus I don't think it has really gotten any worse in newer vehicles. Blind spots, yes, but rearward? Not really. Reversing in my Cobra is far more daunting a task than in my Edge, even without the aid of a backup camera. :shrug:

What the he||? I drove one of those too! You haven't seen poor rear visibility until you drive one of those! My favorite delivery was delivery 2500 lbs of water softener pellets to the dorms, in 50 lb bags, by hand, down a flight of stairs.

I'm looking in the public area because I refuse to give CR any of my money for a subscription, but if any of you do have an on-line account, see if you can find the original source.

http://news.consumer...ay-drivers.html

The URL says it all: 'Ford's MyFord Touch Defense: "I'm excellent, help me," say drivers.'

This writer's disdain for people who are not him is suffocating.

FYI: these WordPress 'friendly URLs' provide an occasionally fascinating insight into the working titles that these writers use as they're drafting their blog entries.

In this instance, the writer's contempt for people in general and Ford in particular is positively dripping from the smart-aleck title that he gave his blog entry before he published it.

Unfortunately for him, he was too stupid to edit it before hitting the publish button.

Edited by RichardJensen

???? Rear visibility isn't a safety issue?

Just because you (I have also) can drive a truck without a rear window doesn't make it safe! BTW using your side mirrors does give rear visibility, just be sure to look at both mirrors, at least twice, for a nearly complete picture. Whereas a rearview mirror or camera can be done with just one look. Of course you need to look at all 3 (or 4 with camera. )

"Backing out of a parking space.....that's certainly not a safety issue." WOW.

Edited by timmm55

http://news.consumer...ay-drivers.html

The URL says it all: 'Ford's MyFord Touch Defense: "I'm excellent, help me," say drivers.'

This writer's disdain for people who are not him is suffocating.

FYI: these WordPress 'friendly URLs' provide an occasionally fascinating insight into the working titles that these writers use as they're drafting their blog entries.

In this instance, the writer's contempt for people in general and Ford in particular is positively dripping from the smart-aleck title that he gave his blog entry before he published it.

Unfortunately for him, he was too stupid to edit it before hitting the publish button.

Thanks. I saw that blog, but hadn't read it yet, since the body had little to do with the title. Just another CR rant.

???? Rear visibility isn't a safety issue?

Just because you (I have also) can drive a truck without a rear window doesn't make it safe! BTW using your side mirrors does give rear visibility, just be sure to look at both mirrors, at least twice, for a nearly complete picture. Whereas a rearview mirror or camera can be done with just one look. Of course you need to look at all 3 (or 4 with camera. )

"Backing out of a parking space.....that's certainly not a safety issue." WOW.

I'm not suggesting that having better rear visibility is not good - it is.

But please tell me how not being able to see directly behind the vehicle is a safety issue. I'm driving forward, not backwards. Anything I might hit is either in front of me or to the side of me which I can clearly see with mirrors and by turning my head. If somebody hits me from behind that's their fault, not mine, and being able to see them right before they hit you isn't going to help.

And it's not like these cars have no rear visibility at all.

Please explain how a car with slightly less rear visibility is a safety issue.

I'm not suggesting that having better rear visibility is not good - it is.

But please tell me how not being able to see directly behind the vehicle is a safety issue. I'm driving forward, not backwards. Anything I might hit is either in front of me or to the side of me which I can clearly see with mirrors and by turning my head. If somebody hits me from behind that's their fault, not mine, and being able to see them right before they hit you isn't going to help.

And it's not like these cars have no rear visibility at all.

Please explain how a car with slightly less rear visibility is a safety issue.

I'm driving forward, not backwards.

Not when you are driving backwards/backing up!

Put your 2 year old baby in that blind spot and tell me if it's "slightly less"......a camera is worth it in my book. I tried out a few cars with rearview cameras, I thought it was a GREAT idea!

Parking was a lot easier, no longer a "guess and bump" test.

Edited by timmm55

Well they seem to like the stand alone SYNC system and not MyFordTouch so why wouldn't they just recommend the vehicle without MyFordTouch? It seems silly to non recommend something just because of an optional feature.

BINGO, I just said the same thing on their site.

Put your 2 year old baby in that blind spot and tell me if it's "slightly less"......a camera is worth it in my book. I tried out a few cars with rearview cameras, I thought it was a GREAT idea!

Parking was a lot easier, no longer a "guess and bump" test.

Why do you keep harping on backup cameras? I said that having more rear visibility is always better. But that doesn't mean that having slightly LESS is a SAFETY problem.

I'm talking about the difference between a 2004 Taurus and a 2013 Taurus. The 2013 Taurus probably does have a little less rear visilbility than the 2004. But you can still see behind you so it's not a safety problem any more than a work truck or semi.

A 2 year old that can't be seen behind a 2013 Taurus also can't be seen behind a 2004 Taurus. Therefore the 2013 Taurus is not less safe.

A backup camera DOES make any vehicle safer because it lets you see things you can't possibly see from inside the car. But that wasn't the issue.

A 2 year old that can't be seen behind a 2013 Taurus also can't be seen behind a 2004 Taurus. Therefore the 2013 Taurus is not less safe.

A backup camera DOES make any vehicle safer because it lets you see things you can't possibly see from inside the car. But that wasn't the issue.

This is why I always walk behind my car before i pull out of a spot or my drive way. I can be sure nothing is directly behind me and i use my mirrors to make sure nothing moves behind me.

Why do you keep harping on backup cameras? I said that having more rear visibility is always better. But that doesn't mean that having slightly LESS is a SAFETY problem.

I'm talking about the difference between a 2004 Taurus and a 2013 Taurus. The 2013 Taurus probably does have a little less rear visilbility than the 2004. But you can still see behind you so it's not a safety problem any more than a work truck or semi.

I'm harping? You type idiocy.

But please tell me how not being able to see directly behind the vehicle is a safety issue.

"Consumer Reports also said that Ford did not address "whether more consumers are demanding back-up cameras and aids because visibility is getting so much worse in many cars.""

it most certainly is the issue. That's what CR mentioned and the thread just before you started.

This is why I always walk behind my car before i pull out of a spot or my drive way. I can be sure nothing is directly behind me and i use my mirrors to make sure nothing moves behind me.

A backup camera sure helps with a trailer hitch too.

Car rear ends have gotten higher. No question about that. It makes seeing more difficult. PERIOD.

I walk around my car too to make sure there isn't a child, dog, cat, etc. behind. It's just good sense.......and that's with a Miata!

CR got something right:

Studies have shown some of the other driver aids Ford mentioned today, such as forward collision mitigation (which applies the brakes even if you don't when a collision is imminent), have significant safety benefits. And Ford's hands-free Park Assist system works well in our tests and has been scientifically shown to reduce stress in parking situations. But for other systems, the data is unclear.

I'm harping? You type idiocy.

Just because YOU can't follow along doesn't make it idiotic.

Consumer Reports also said that Ford did not address "whether more consumers are demanding back-up cameras and aids because visibility is getting so much worse in many cars

The fact that a new Taurus has a higher rear deck and/or a smaller rear window does not make it less safe. The reasons why you would want a backup camera apply equally to older cars and newer cars.

I had to adjust to my Fusion due to the high rear deck. It was annoying at first but in no way was it less safe than my previous car.

Lucky me has had jury duty all week in Downtown Detroit and therefore have been on I96 every morning commuting in on long drive. Some commutes took me up to 90 minutes traffic was so bad when it should take about 45 minutes. Anyway, as I pass Southfeild Freeway that leads to Ford campus, I've noticed many 2013 Fusions on road that I assume are being driven by Ford execs commuting into Ford campus everyday from Plymouth, Livonia, Northville, Plymouth Township, and Ann Arbor areas. WOW, the new Fusions have tremendous road presence and really stand out as very unique, premium vehicle. I love them and the way they look on road at speed. IMO, the 2013 Fusion will be a huge homerun and IMO the vehicle to buy from Ford if you don't need the more multi functional Escape. What a great 1, 2, 3 punch in new Fusion, Escape, and Focus. Kudos to Ford.

The fact that a new Taurus has a higher rear deck and/or a smaller rear window does not make it less safe. The reasons why you would want a backup camera apply equally to older cars and newer cars.

I had to adjust to my Fusion due to the high rear deck. It was annoying at first but in no way was it less safe than my previous car.

A=2003 Miata, top down 360 degree unobstructed

B=1960 Falcon Sedan, visible sight lines to trunk, thin pillars

C=1986 Taurus, thin pillars, wedge shape, tall trunk

D=2013 Taurus, thicker pillars, taller vehicle, taller trunk

E=1971 Mustang Sportsroof, very wide C pillar, very tall trunk, rear window to the sky

F=Cube Van w/o rear window, ZERO rear visibility w/o mirrors

A.........B..........C.....D................................E..........................................................F

The fact that a new Taurus has a higher rear deck and a smaller rear window decreases visibility. Safety is compromised. If you can not see it is not safe. There are degrees of visibility and as they get worse they are inherently less safe. You're absolutely right about a rear view camera in some old cars. If I ever did a restomod on a 71 Mach1 that would be a must have.....a cool current feature in an old cool car.

Of course there are 1000s of things that make up a safe car, I'd feel much safer in a new Taurus than a 60 Falcon. But I'd be much more comfortable backing out of a grocery store spot in the Falcon! (Now imagine every stall at the grocery store being a Cube Van.........it would look like a demolition Derby within an hour!)

The fact that a new Taurus has a higher rear deck and a smaller rear window decreases visibility. Safety is compromised. If you can not see it is not safe.

Please provide a specific driving situation where the new Taurus would be less safe than the old one. You still have rear visibility. You still have side mirrors.

Even in a high cube van you still have side mirrors. Same for semi trucks. You can see what you need to see.

Backing into another car in a parking lot is not a safety issue. And if you can't see directly behind the vehicle in any vehicle then you don't back up until you check behind you first.