Spyshot: Compact Lincoln Crossover

It's the Ford Territory facelift... come on guys, you are slipping :play:

Edit: beaten to the punch by 2b2 by 1 minute :)

Buy you had pics, so you win! :)

:cry:

...so pix huh?

how about guessing what this draped SuvCuv was at the Lincoln Design Center's formal opening?

closeup.png

thumb-link to enlarged xray version:

10omj49_th.jpg

Edited by 2b2

Thats one thing I enjoyed about the Explorer as well, just having that separate glass where you can load up the truck and be able to stick something out the window. Thats when it was a SUV, keyword "Utility". Now it's a "Crossover" and that positive feature is gone :(

Thats one thing I enjoyed about the Explorer as well, just having that separate glass where you can load up the truck and be able to stick something out the window. Thats when it was a SUV, keyword "Utility". Now it's a "Crossover" and that positive feature is gone :(

My wife went from 2 explorers, an aviator and an expedition with the separate window to an Edge with the power liftgate. Don't miss the window at all. Just hit the button and open the hatch.

I've gotten used to the lack of the separate glass on my Flex, but there are certainly times where it'd be easier to just pop the glass open and put in/grab one small item quickly where it's just more of a hassle to open the entire hatch (and wait for the power liftgate). Oh well...

Something about me misses the roll-down window that was in my moms '97 Bronco... Don't like driving around with the rear window hanging out there, and I like driving with all the windows down. But even so that rear window is great after skiing... Just open the window and we can throw our jackets, helmets, boots, etc in the back without worrying about them rolling out. Same with groceries and the little cargo net we have there. As for the power liftgate... Just don't get it... Can't stand waiting for the thing on my friends SUV as it whines itself up and then back down.

Here's a clue, look at how BIG it is compared to the smallish MKZ in the foreground...

If I was going to guess, I'd say AVIATOR / MKT

closeup.png

That's the new Lincoln Escape, not Explorer. Way too small, even smaller than the MKX.

Edited by BORG

That's the new Lincoln Escape, not Explorer. Way too small, even smaller than the MKX.

If that's the new Lincoln Escape, it's going to have a lot of presence, enough for luxury buyers to look past the term "compact" and see a great vehicle.

It just looks impressively big compared to the MKZ in the foreground, anyone who thinks a compact Lincoln won't work better take a look at that photo.

Could Lincoln do a "Cadillac ELR" and include a C-max Hybrid as well as MK-Escape or would the showroom get too congested?

(Lincoln and a congested showroom...LOL sometimes I amaze myself)

Edited by jpd80

If that's the new Lincoln Escape, it's going to have a lot of presence, enough for luxury buyers to look past the term "compact" and see a great vehicle.

It just looks impressively big compared to the MKZ in the foreground, anyone who thinks a compact Lincoln won't work better take a look at that photo.

Could Lincoln do a "Cadillac ELR" and include a C-max Hybrid as well as MK-Escape or would the showroom get too congested?

(Lincoln and a congested showroom...LOL sometimes I amaze myself)

A better relative size indicator are the stanchions around the car, which are a standard height of about 38". This tells me that the vehicle is substantially lower than an Explorer or MKX/Edge, which I can then compare to the passenger compartment which is therefore too small to carry more than 5 people. And looking at the overall profile of the vehicle you can see all of the Escape's hard-points in it, while you don't see the Explorer's. Now it's possible that this could be an MKX, but it looks too low, short and narrow to qualify. And again, the roof has the exact profile of the Escape which can't be coincidental.

I'm very excited to see this car in particular, and the next MKX. These are two cars that will keep me at Lincoln for a long time if they get them right.

Edited by BORG

^ hope those Studio pix make up for the article, BORG ;)

imho it looks an AWFUL lot like the Evoque

(can't figure out its size)

They sure did, I hadn't seen them. My next car is probably under that tarp which is kinda big ;)

And I am actually testing an Evoque on Friday btw ;) Which, as you can imagine, I quite like. I'm counting on Lincoln producing something along those lines.

Edited by BORG

I'm glad - was thinking of you when I posted them

if you have the time (& black sheets ;) ) maybe you could take a draped photo to compare??

LOL, If the dealer wasn't so far away I could drive it home and park it next to my new Escape :)

Which, btw, is a nice zippy crossover, but I miss the Edge's serenity and height. The Titanium is a rougher and louder rider, and the back-end has a tendency to hop a bit. But man is it fun to toss around compared to the porky Edge (the MKX was always much spryer than my Edge btw).

Edited by BORG

LOL, If the dealer wasn't so far away I could drive it home and park it next to my new Escape :)

Which, btw, is a nice zippy crossover, but I miss the Edge's serenity and height. The Titanium is a rougher and louder rider, and the back-end has a tendency to hop a bit. But man is it fun to toss around compared to the porky Edge (the MKX was always much spryer than my Edge btw).

I see what you mean regarding stanchions to scale size, that vehicle looks like a great addition that doesn't impinge on MKX but would love to see Lincoln

with Aviator too, Utilities are still Ford's main strike weapon, so it's frustrating to see Lincoln not capitalizing on that side of the market, a refreshed Navigator

with V6 EB and 5.0 V8 wouldn't hurt either. Sigh, I guess we can hope for the future...

Edited by jpd80