Shipping ETA - TBD

expresspotato

Here's my vin, I'm not shy: 3FA6P0K90DR172168. My salesman told me the car would be built (the week of?) 11.11.12, and we would have delivery by the end of November. I just went to ETIS, it shows a build date of 10.11.12, and NO CAMPAIN MESSAGES FOUND. So, maybe my car won't sit and wait. It also shows: Type Approval Number (TAN): E1*2007/46*0272. Anyone have an idea what the TAN # is?

That number is most likely an internal batch number. I have searched a bit on Google and it looks like they use that number for determining which cars are affected with a recall. Because you're seeing it right now, it's probably in production at this very moment. Maybe in a day or two it will be removed from the ETIS system.

Hate to be a party pooper, but getting a build date is no deciding factor on when you will get your car. I put a deposit on a fusion hybrid that was supposedly built on September 5th and not one person at the dealership or Ford can tell when this car is expected to be delivered. Dont believe me, search VIN 3FA6P0LU4DR113403 on etis. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed and frustrated. Ford is dragging their own reputation in the mud by having such an awful launch and this is only confirmation for the poor quality ratings reported by consumer reports. Thankfully, I only put a deposit on this car that I can get back and I only have another week or two of patience left. Should the car arrive in that window i will be inspecting every bolt, alignment of parts, etc. It shocks me how badly Ford is screwing up this rollout. This car was supposed to outsell the camry, it is being advertised left and right on radio, tv, and the press and yet you cant buy one of these cars anywhere in all of southern california. Disaster? YES! I have read that the delay can be due to a software update - unlikely given they can update MFT anytime and much less cost than holding all the cars in a depot for months at time. Also read it can be headlight issue - again seems unlikely given that delaying a launch of this magnitude for something that any dealer can swap out seems idiotic. Lastly, if it was any of these, why in the world would they ship a car from mexico to detroit for a software update or to replace a headlamp? And why stay silent on something as insignificant as a software bug or headlight issue... I would be at ease if I knew that was the reason for the delay. Seems to me there is something much larger going on that they are staying mum on. Wish someone at Ford would put on their big-boy business pants, bear responsibility, ease all of the consumers out there, and explain the situation.

• Like 1

this is only confirmation for the poor quality ratings reported by consumer reports.

Consumer reports gave Ford low ratings because they don't like MFT. Not really because of "quality" issues. Their opinion should be take with a grain, or bucket of salt.

Your delivery issues may be related to dealer allotments. If you bought from a small dealer, you are less likely to get your car in a timely fashion. Call customer service. It sounds like your salesman is lazy.

I do agree with you on how frustraiting it is that Ford is keeping quiet. But that's how all automakers operate. They give as little info as possible on problems because they don't want to tarnish their image. The upside is that this car is the most important car in Ford's recent history. They are trying like hell to make sure the Fusion comes out in the best shape possible, even if it means delaying them and pissing us off in the process.

• Like 1

Looks like we have multiple problems all at the same time.........

Ongoing railcar shortages expected to continue for some time

An article published in the April 19 issue of FleetWeekdiscussed the industry-wide shortage of railcars automakers are facing throughout North America.

Automotive News recently reported that, as of the middle of May, daily inventories of vehicles awaiting shipment totaled over 81,000 units, which is about 17% more than the standard daily inventory. And as North American vehicle production continues to rise, auto industry representatives expect that transport bottlenecks could continue over at least the next couple of years.

Railroads have traditionally served as a secure way for manufacturers to transport large volumes of vehicles from their production facilities to dealers and upfitters. In order to ship vehicles via railroads, specially designed rail cars – known as autoracks – must be used.

However, most railroads currently have a shortage of the types of autoracks that are suited to carry large quantities of cars. A major reason for the shortage is that because the automotive industry rebounded from the recent recession much quicker than expected, most railroads haven’t been able to rebuild the capacity necessary to consistently handle the suddenly increasing demand.

Hardest hit by the railcar shortages are assembly plants in the central U.S., where railway “choke points” are more common. These choke points are typically in major cities like Chicago and Houston where multiple rail companies converge and railcars are handed off from one company to another.

Manufacturers remain in daily contact with the major railroads as they work to devise plans to improve railcar availability and prioritize the delivery of vehicles. And while automakers, which only generate 8 to 9 percent of total rail freight, have relatively little leverage with the railroads to turn things around in a hurry, some progress has already been made: CSX Transportation, a railroad system that serves much of the eastern and Midwest United States, said it expanded its fleet of rail cars in 2012 and will continue to purchase additional units in the coming years.

As CSX Transportation and other railroad companies work to keep up with the increase in North American auto production, many manufacturers are pursuing alternative shipping options to further mitigate the impact of the railcar shortage. For example, GM has sought “short sea” shipping methods where available, while Ford is utilizing independent carriers in some areas to help ease the backup at rail ramps.

Edited by chuckokie36

Amazing what you can find on the web!! The bolding in this note is by me.

Chuckokie

OST-2012-0154 - Volga-Dnepr - Tuscon-Detroit

Volga-Dnepr Airlines LLC

OST-2012-0154 - Emergency Exemption - Tucson-Detroit

September 12, 2012

Application for an Emergency Exemption

Volga-Dnepr Airlines LLC respectfully requests an emergency exemption so as to permit Volga-Dnepr to operate one one-way cargo charter flight, utilizing Volga-Dnepr's AN-124-100 aircraft to transport cargo from Tucson, Arizona to Detroit, Michigan on around September 13, 2012 - September 14, 2012, on behalf of Active Aero Group Inc. for Ford Motor Company.

The oversized cargo to be transported by Volga-Dnepr consists of the automotive body panel dies each of the following dimensions/weights:

• Op 40 RH Bodyside Otr upper die half: 175" Long x 92" Wide x 33" High / 36,3321bs;
  • Op 40 RH Bodyside Otr lower die half: 175" Long x 92" Wide x 39" High / 40,301 Ibs;
  • Op 40 LH Bodyside Otr upper die half: 175" Long x 92" Wide x 33" High / 36,332 Ibs;
  • Op 40 LH Bodyside Otr lower die half: 175" Long x 92" Wide x 39" High / 40,301 Ibs.

Due to the extreme urgency, Ford Motor Company cannot use surface transportation to ship the payload. The immediate movement of the dies is required to prevent Ford Motor Company and its Ford and Lincoln dealerships from loss of millions of dollars of revenue due to loss of production without this equipment.

Counsel: Volga-Dnepr, Artem Tarasenko, 832-585-8611

September 13, 2012

Additional Information

Concerning the nature of the emergency request; Ford POCs have stated the production line in Mexico has halted due to an engineering problem with the automobile dies used in the MKZ and Ford Fusion models. These dies have had to be removed from the plant in Mexico, transported via truck to Arizona for loading onto airlift for immediate delivery to a manufacturing facility in Michigan for retooling, and returned ASAP to Mexico to continue production. This halt in production is causing delays in delivery and sales, impacting Ford’s ability to get the vehicles out of the factory and to the public.

We have received “Non-Objections” from all the US Carriers concerning the transportation of the automotive dies in the attached request. The Charterer Active Aero Group on behalf of Ford Motor Company also obtained non-objection replies, as the Charterer had contacted the US Carriers prior to contacting Volga-Dnepr. This equipment is very heavy and creates a concentrated footprint during loading, jeopardizing damaging B-747 cargo floors. Possibility of trucking versus flying presents several problems; (1) Time line required is too slow for transit, (2) permit request for the long transit route would be lengthy and further add to the hardships previously stated, (3) This is of an urgent nature and cannot wait for trucks to move material over the road due to limitations of state by state permits for oversize loads. (4) Over size loads can only be moved during the day time hours and in some states along the route will not allow it to move during weekends.

Counsel: Volga-Dnepr, Colon Miller, 832-585-8611

Filed September 12, 2012 | Issued September 13, 2012

Notice of Action Taken

Exemption from 49 USC § 40109(g) to permit the applicant to operate one, one-way, all-cargo charter flight, using its AN-124-100 aircraft, carrying oversized cargo on behalf of Active Aero Group Inc. for Ford Motor Company between Tucson, Arizona and Detroit, Michigan, on or around September 13-14, 2012. The applicant states that the cargo to be transported consists of four defective automotive panel dies. The defective dies have resulted in a halt to production of the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ models at one of Ford’s plants. The applicant asserts that Ford needs the subject lift to transport defective dies to Detroit for retooling and return to production in order to avoid substantial delay in delivery and sales of the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ models; that timely shipment will prevent Ford and Ford/Lincoln dealerships from experiencing significant loss in revenue; that US carriers do not have the required availability to conduct the operation and the weight of the cargo could potentially damage B-747 cargo floors; and that surface transportation is not feasible because of the urgency of the shipment and the further delay that would result from additional individual state limitations on the movement of oversize cargo.

By: Susan Kurland

Home | Search | Help

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 1

Nice work on finding that info! The AN-124 Condor aircraft are huge, but based on the dimensions it's not the size of the items to ship but the weight of them that require the plane with a floor sturdy enough for them.

So I wonder if those items shipped in September and made their way back, or is it a longer-term job to re-tool them before shipping back. And was that the only type of this equipment at Hermosillo meaning they had to stop everything, or one of X of these machines where is just slowed things down? Of course at the beginning of a model year is not the time you want to see any slowdown!

Parked next to black se fusion with appearance package tonight and it looked sweet. It was the first time I saw any 2013 close and it is very impressive. It was tough to look inside because of the lighting and the front end was against a wall but I was always concerned about the way the rear of the car looked but it looked much better in person. The 18in 5 spoke wheels look really good as well. Initially I was bummed when I heard the 1.6 wasn't getting dual exhaust but the single exhaust tip looks somewhat classy as well. All in all made me that much more excited to get my car.

Nice job!

Looking at the other exceptions this year for that carrier, this is in the "big rocket parts" league.

Defintelly more than a software upgrade. And hopefully solved by now, before our cars are produced.

Now, out of curiosity - does any of car industry people here venture to guess what parts of the car these can be.

At almost 15' long x 8' wide for the die, looks quite big for a car part. At least for a casual observer like me.

But may be it isn't, I've never seen one of those in person.

This also would have been before most of the retail (customer) orders were made so I would guess that

unless you got a dealer stock order chances are production would be with the new body panels. I think

there was a email from a Ford employee stating there were only a limited number (100) of retails affected.

Edited by scott029

I'm starting to get anxious. I ordered mine back in May, and it was on a material hold forever (because I had remote start as an option). FINALLY got a build date to week of Nov. 5th. It was built on the 7th, but it's just been sitting there waiting for a rail car ever since.

I HAVE to have a new vehicle before mid december (when my lease will expire). Naturally, I'm very concerned that this won't be ready in time, and I'll be stuck getting a vehicle I don't really want.

Here's to hoping mine isn't getting sent to Michigan, then back to Mexico.

If you pull all the data together we have all seen on this site, A PATTERN OF A LOT OF THE STUFF WE HAVE SEEN BEGINS TO EMERGE.

1st in September the STOP SHIP we all heard about maybe this was related to the body dies that had to be flown to Michigan.

2nd the rail car shortage we heard about I guess it is real....

I posted this earlier today.

Posted Today, 03:52 PM

Looks like we have multiple problems all at the same time.........

Ongoing railcar shortages expected to continue for some time

An article published in the April 19 issue of FleetWeekdiscussed the industry-wide shortage of railcars automakers are facing throughout North America.

Automotive News recently reported that, as of the middle of May, daily inventories of vehicles awaiting shipment totaled over 81,000 units, which is about 17% more than the standard daily inventory. And as North American vehicle production continues to rise, auto industry representatives expect that transport bottlenecks could continue over at least the next couple of years.

Railroads have traditionally served as a secure way for manufacturers to transport large volumes of vehicles from their production facilities to dealers and upfitters. In order to ship vehicles via railroads, specially designed rail cars – known as autoracks – must be used.

However, most railroads currently have a shortage of the types of autoracks that are suited to carry large quantities of cars. A major reason for the shortage is that because the automotive industry rebounded from the recent recession much quicker than expected, most railroads haven’t been able to rebuild the capacity necessary to consistently handle the suddenly increasing demand.

Hardest hit by the railcar shortages are assembly plants in the central U.S., where railway “choke points” are more common. These choke points are typically in major cities like Chicago and Houston where multiple rail companies converge and railcars are handed off from one company to another.

Manufacturers remain in daily contact with the major railroads as they work to devise plans to improve railcar availability and prioritize the delivery of vehicles. And while automakers, which only generate 8 to 9 percent of total rail freight, have relatively little leverage with the railroads to turn things around in a hurry, some progress has already been made: CSX Transportation, a railroad system that serves much of the eastern and Midwest United States, said it expanded its fleet of rail cars in 2012 and will continue to purchase additional units in the coming years.

As CSX Transportation and other railroad companies work to keep up with the increase in North American auto production, many manufacturers are pursuing alternative shipping options to further mitigate the impact of the railcar shortage. For example, GM has sought “short sea” shipping methods where available, while Ford is utilizing independent carriers in some areas to help ease the backup at rail ramps.

Edited by chuckokie36, Today, 03:53 PM.

So there are some issues on cars that are being shipped to Michigan as well, Ford has Its hands full......

Edited by chuckokie36

This sh** is crazy! This is my first experience with FORD. I gotta tell ya, I'm a little worried. I have had my car crash tested , reordered, dealer found another one (delayed). I'm like WTF!!!!! I'm kinda worried if they get this fixed the markets gonna be flooded? Dropping the value/wow factor of this car

I can see the shipment issue becoming a much larger issue since Hurricane Sandy and the shortage of cars on the East coast. Lots of people are looking for new cars since the storm and this will put even more of a strain on the transport system. It's all coming together now and starting to make a little more sense.

That info makes me wonder if the body panels are unpainted on the cars being held and they will be painted in Flat Rock. Or they are missing body panels and they will be installed in Flat Rock. I would like to know when the dies were returned to Hermosillo.

Wow - so are the cars waiting to go to Michigan or who are already there getting these new 4 panels?

Does anyone know what is wrong with the panels installed on cars that made it out to dealer or retail customers?

I'm almost positive these body panels would be installed as they are building the Unitized body, so the cars they are shipping to Michigan have to have another issue, or they are repairing the autos with defective body panels on the built cars there..

Edited by chuckokie36