Economy Kills Coupe Proposal

Edmunds is reporting that Ford has put on hold a small coupe project. Inferring that it was killed due to continuing international economy struggles.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/europes-woes-put-ford-coupe-proposal-on-hold.html

Although Edmunds didn't specify the details there is has been a continuing rumor in the European press that Ford was working on a Focus based coupe to revive the classic Capri. Such a car would slot below the Mustang as it would have Focus platform limitations (FWD and smaller engine power potential). I've always wondered if this was more auto-writer extrapolation and exaggeration... Maybe there was something to those articles.

In a 'C' segment? Better to have the HB for B and C. In a C/D Segment, I feel you have a case.

In general coupes and sports cars are risky because the sales run hot and cold... But remember you must put on your international/european hat on this type of vehicle as that market will sell far more than in NA. In that light, C-segment personal type cars (coupes, convertibles, and shooting brakes) are actually quite plentiful in europe.

VW Scirocco

VW Beetle

Audi TT

Opel Cascada

Peugeot 308 CC

Peugeot RCZ

BMW 1-Series Coupe & Convertible

Hyundai Elantra Coupe

• Like 1

I've been asking for a "B-C" FWD coupe slotting under the Mustang for years already. As the Mustang's price is creeping upwards, your need an affordable coupe that slots under it.

Avg Transaction price of a car these days is $30,274, a Mustang starts at $22995 for a 2013 V6.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/09/04/is-30000-cheap-new-car-transaction-prices-rose-in-august/

It would be nice to have a C FWD coupe in the lineup, but with the Mustang being sold in the EU in the next 24-36 months, does it really make sense to have a Ford Capri competing with it, offering the same engine choices? I'm sure Ford will make more $$$ just importing 2L or 2.3L Ecoboost I4 powered Mustangs to Europe then spending money on a new tophat for the Focus or Fiesta.

Avg Transaction price of a car these days is $30,274, a Mustang starts at $22995 for a 2013 V6.

http://blogs.wsj.com...rose-in-august/

It would be nice to have a C FWD coupe in the lineup, but with the Mustang being sold in the EU in the next 24-36 months, does it really make sense to have a Ford Capri competing with it, offering the same engine choices? I'm sure Ford will make more $$$ just importing 2L or 2.3L Ecoboost I4 powered Mustangs to Europe then spending money on a new tophat for the Focus or Fiesta.

there is a difference between the EU and here, ford offers a 2 door fiesta in the EU, but not in the US.

I suspect the reason for not having a 3 door hatch focus is because the Capri was expected to fill that void. The Capri was expendable because it was going to be a standalone product.

i don;t hink ford will make the same mistake with the next gen focus, I suspect the 3 door will return.

They probably will, but they really need something to do with all of that capacity in Europe.

What they need to do is change their manufacturing capacity to match demand; if they start adding products in Europe for export to the US, that undercuts their case for cutting Eurpoean production--and the EU has notoriously whinybitchyprickly regulators when it comes to American companies. Just ask Microsoft, Boeing, Google, etc, etc, etc...

http://blogs.wsj.com...rose-in-august/

Focus ST MSRP is between V6 and GT Mustang, but that's a five door hatch,

maybe Ford could build either a three door hatch or two door sedan version for the USA?

Edited by jpd80

Well, that is kinda a signficant "because".

Nick, I deleted that post because I don't want to derail the thread but I will finish your line by saying,

........Cadillac spent a fortune on a RWD compact luxury sedan, something Ford is not prepared to do.

As I said above, there may be a better opportunity to provide five door and three door or two door sedan Focus ST instead..

Concentrating on the Ford brand is probably a better way to go, especially with Focus anyway,

even a HP luxury Titanium level Focus ST would probably be better delivered as a Ford

Edited by jpd80

Nick, I deleted that post because I don't want to derail the thread but I will finish your line by saying,

........Cadillac spent a fortune on a RWD compact luxury sedan, something Ford is not prepared to do.

As I said above, there may be a better opportunity to provide five door and three door or two door sedan Focus ST instead..

Concentrating on the Ford brand is probably a better way to go, especially with Focus anyway,

even a HP luxury Titanium level Focus ST would probably be better delivered as a Ford

the thing is if Linlcon/Ford don't develop the competitive archectecture for lincoln they will fail. it isn't about them needing to go RWD or not, it is about them needing to demostrate that they can and have the will to be globally comptitive in the luxtury segment.

to tell the Truth it isn't that expenisve to make a RWD archtecture not any more. Ford has RWD powerpacks, and the expertise to pull this off, they just need the will to do it.

Chinese buyers don't love Cadillac's edgy, angular styling

Cadillac's art-and-science design look -- the sharp, angular lines and creased edges that have marked the brand for the past decade -- is a turnoff in China, say analysts and Cadillac marketers in the country. And that is leading to a change in the brand's design direction.

Edited by Biker16

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/ford-of-europe-denied-small-coupe-mustang-viability-questioned/

As mentioned in this article, even the Mustang is Europe is being questioned. Past few weeks we have seen spy pics of the next Mustang, and what we do see is the longer hood that would work for EU crash standards. We know, or have heard rumors of the 2.3L T-I4 as a possible engine, but as the article describes, Ford EU is concerned that in the end, it'll be perceived as a thirsty fat pig. So unless our pig doesn't come in under 3000lbs and have trimmer porportions, then it might not be deemed viable for that market.. But from what we all know, that ship has already sailed if we are seeing the current work being done to make it EU compliant.

Ford already has a coupe, it's called a Mustang and a new one is coming. No need for another.

Your comment makes no sense. If this is your theory there would not be 3 different crossovers all serving the same purpose. Escape/Edge/Explorer.regardless of size if use your argument Ford has a crossover but yet there are still 3.

Anyway a successor to a probe/cougar isnt a bad idea; i dont know why the market is so keen on 4 door cars.

Because they are infinitely more practical for the vast majority of buyers.

Good point, but the interesting thing is that Coupe where very popular in 1970's and early 80s...you'd think that they would be more popular then they are today with people since your traditional family unit has changed so much since then.

Because they are infinitely more practical for the vast majority of buyers.

Hand in hand with the fact that personal coupe buyers have moved onto more practical vehicles..

Ford's last Focus Coupe Cabriolet didn't sell as well as expected but was never available in Nth America.

Perhaps a more modest reworking of the CC instead of a full blown Capri project would be more productive?

Also, I would love to know whether a slightly smaller I-4/V6 Capri coupe could be developed off the Mustang's platform,

a RWD Capri for Europe and ROW that looks different to Mustang but caters for more of the smaller end of the market

as well as export markets could be a real shot in the arm for Ford exports

Edited by jpd80

It seems to be Coupes and 2-doors have always been very sensitive to the general economy... I believe that is because they tend to be bought by young singles who traditionally are the one hurt the most by a bad economy. And even those doing well see their friends struggling, which tends to cause them to be conservative with their money.

Since the Focus has been redesigned there isn't a simple "rework" option... It would take much more money to cut the top off off the new platform than create a 2-door coupe hardtop. Also it wasn't just the CC that had issues with sales... Compact hardtop coupes were a trend in Europe a few years ago, and all have failed to meet sales targets. As for your other option I think its becoming clear that the next Mustang is going to see a price increase. Also it looks like the Mustang is already going to be equipped with a 4-cylinder option. It was this price increase that makes room for the Focus based coupe (Capri), not the lack of a economical powertrain option.