Attended the Seattle Car Show...

...and got to see the MKZ, Fusion, C-Max...etc. Also, some fantastic exotics.

However, the main vehicles of interest were the Fusion and the MKZ. This was my first chance to walk around both.

The Fusion is gorgeous in person, truly. I think Aston Martin should feel stupid about their execution of a 4-door in comparison. My only problems are the segment-trailing power (which is offset somewhat with the hybrid capabilities) and the lack of rear-set headroom. I admit my situation is outside the norm, as I'm 6'4" (or more in the morning) and my son is currently 6'1", so the potential of tall sitting behind tall exists. Not gonna happen in the Fusion, at least not comfortably. My son's in the pic at the link:

http://i237.photobuc...1117_143608.jpg

The MKZ...I'm getting frustrated. The car was on a pedestal, all doors open...and what I really want to is see the car and be able to take in its lines in person. The interior looks very opulent and the car itself hides its "bones" fairly well, visually...but that said, the Fusion has the prettier face. The rear of the MKZ, which I've previously likened to that of a 1970 Torino GT (this is a compliment, not a criticism) remains the best angle of the car, especially with the styled-in exhaust tips.

I got a few shots during the walk-around.

http://i237.photobuc...1117_150640.jpg

http://i237.photobuc...1117_150656.jpg

http://i237.photobuc...1117_150730.jpg

I actually went to the Charlotte Auto Show today and got the see all these same cars. I concur that the Fusion's headroom is lacking. In fact, with the Sunroof option I don't fit in the front (I'm 6' 5"). Very, VERY disappointed .... BTW: I don't fit in a Taurus with a sunroof either. As for the MKZ, the one I saw had all the door closed so I got to see all the body lines. and I must say it looks fantastic in person.

I actually went to the Charlotte Auto Show today and got the see all these same cars. I concur that the Fusion's headroom is lacking. In fact, with the Sunroof option I don't fit in the front (I'm 6' 5"). Very, VERY disappointed .... BTW: I don't fit in a Taurus with a sunroof either. As for the MKZ, the one I saw had all the door closed so I got to see all the body lines. and I must say it looks fantastic in person.

It's kinda funny...I may be the only person who really wants a "transition" Taurus/Taurus X because they'll actually fit the tall people in my family plus have the newer V6.

Then again, I could just stick with my Expedition...which does the job very well, if being kinda thirsty about it.

It's kinda funny...I may be the only person who really wants a "transition" Taurus/Taurus X because they'll actually fit the tall people in my family plus have the newer V6.

Then again, I could just stick with my Expedition...which does the job very well, if being kinda thirsty about it.

It is a consideration when you're large or tall, some vehicles don't seem to have quite enough room,

people snigger at the near identical external size of the Falcon yet it's interior is much more roomy than Fusion or Mondeo.

Perhaps this is an area Ford is benchmarking in the future CD4 based Taurus, a Big car that's more space efficient and lighter on its feet..

On topic, I sense that you're impressed with 2013 Fusion and MKZ,,,,

so hopefully you get to sample the 2.0 Ecoboost and see that it's not a weakling.

Edited by jpd80

but that said, the Fusion has the prettier face.

Personally, I find these fronts to attract different buyers. The Fusion is more in your face type of aggressive style, while the MKZ appears more elegant and luxurious of a style. Of course it comes with a price, but find the MKZ offers a much better overall pkg in style, inside & out.

Edited by V8-X

Personally, I find these fronts to attract different buyers. The Fusion is more in your face type of aggressive style, while the MKZ appears more elegant and luxurious of a style. Of course it comes with a price, but find the MKZ offers a much better overall pkg in style, inside & out.

I can't fully get with the MKZ's nose, sadly. It looks like a whole series of compromises to me, rather than projecting a strong identity. It's like they tried to "fun size" the krill grille without losing it completely, so as to not offend either those opposed to the look or those that like it. Frankly, it's the weak link in the car's styling to me. The profile is nice, and the rear of the car is maybe Lincoln's best example of "refined aggression".

Keep in mind, though, that I also think the Escape lost something in now looking like an over-inflated Focus and that I worry about Ford putting similar noses on seemingly everything not an F-series. It seems to be working for Ford, so I realize my opinions and those of the mainstream customer aren't necessarily similar.

Someday those rubes will catch up! :P

Well, you've got two options:

Get a pair of tin snips and some canvas and make one of these:

sunroof1.jpg

Or have a couple bones taken out of your neck. I think Dom Delouise had that done.

delouise_230_050509.jpg

Or, eschew the sedans for a Flex...as long as THEY last...dammit, Ford, tall people need rides, too....

• Like 1

I can't fully get with the MKZ's nose, sadly. It looks like a whole series of compromises to me, rather than projecting a strong identity. It's like they tried to "fun size" the krill grille without losing it completely, so as to not offend either those opposed to the look or those that like it. Frankly, it's the weak link in the car's styling to me. The profile is nice, and the rear of the car is maybe Lincoln's best example of "refined aggression".

Keep in mind, though, that I also think the Escape lost something in now looking like an over-inflated Focus and that I worry about Ford putting similar noses on seemingly everything not an F-series. It seems to be working for Ford, so I realize my opinions and those of the mainstream customer aren't necessarily similar.

Someday those rubes will catch up! :P

I don't have a problem with the nose at all but the profile and more specifically the rear are my favorite parts of the styling. The front of the car on the other hand is what sold my wife on the MKZ.

Edited by Stentgraft95

What, extinct?

I see what they were visually trying to achieve, the front is supposed to look like it's swept back and moving through the air when it's standing still, more of the "kinetic design".

Sadly, it also evokes "1990s Pontiacs". That was pointed out to me, and I couldn't deny it completely.

As I generally like the rest of the car (it looks chunky from the side above the rear wheel, but that's true of half the cars produced nowadays), I hope the new styling people pull off something meaningful for its MCE. Until then, we all still await driving impressions.

They have to design cars around the people that are the most commonly sized. A car that would easily fit a 6'4" man without constraints (with another sitting behind), likely would feel uncomfortably huge for a 5'3" female.

As a 5'10" male, I can appreciate this.

Edited by RangerM

They have to design cars around the people that are the most commonly sized. A car that would easily fit a 6'4" man without constraints (with another sitting behind), likely would feel uncomfortably huge for a 5'3" female.

I think 5'7" is the target height in the US - the average of all adult men and women.

I saw an interesting chart of traffic fatality rates by height, and (if I remember correctly - this was years ago) at 5'11" and above, and 5'1" and below, fatalities rise above average and skyrocket from there to multiples higher than average.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

It also means needlessly alienating a large buyer segment. They had plenty of headroom in the 500/Taurus/Montego/Sable...but they chose to cut it hugely for the new styling.

I can be the most ardent Ford supporter on Earth (I am one of 'em), but I can't buy a car I can't drive or sit in comfortably. As height is genetic, my family previous and future won't be buying these cars...and that's true of every tall family.

This is not a new problem, and it's something they had covered previously. I can't see the Taurus/MKS as a step forward when I could drive the previous models...but not the present. I'm hopeful the same mistakes won't carry into the CD4-based Taurus.

This is not a new problem, and it's something they had covered previously. I can't see the Taurus/MKS as a step forward when I could drive the previous models...but not the present.

It's funny--just a few years ago they made a big deal about adjustable pedals, power seats, and tilting/telescoping steering wheels to accommodate drivers of all sizes. Has that gone by the wayside? (I don't know; I'm 6'3" and, ahem, a "big ol' boy," and I haven't had a problem fitting into any of the Fords I've tried, but I haven't tried any of the newer cars yet.) Americans are getting taller as well as bigger, so if car designers are designing around midgets, they're going to lose a lot of business...

On a semi-related note, I still remember a Saturn commercial from the late '80s or early '90s with this "Texan" talking about all the headroom in his Saturn and how he didn't even have to take off his hat. I thought that was particularly ironic, given that he couldn't have been more than 5'6"; I'd sat in one of the bloody things when a friend was looking at one, and I couldn't have worn a ball cap in it. I somehow got into the back seat, and I thought they were going to have to get the jaws of life to get me out again...

It also means needlessly alienating a large buyer segment. They had plenty of headroom in the 500/Taurus/Montego/Sable...but they chose to cut it hugely for the new styling.

I can be the most ardent Ford supporter on Earth (I am one of 'em), but I can't buy a car I can't drive or sit in comfortably. As height is genetic, my family previous and future won't be buying these cars...and that's true of every tall family.

This is not a new problem, and it's something they had covered previously. I can't see the Taurus/MKS as a step forward when I could drive the previous models...but not the present. I'm hopeful the same mistakes won't carry into the CD4-based Taurus.

I thought you were lamenting the lack of room in the Fusion/MKZ (not the Taurus/MKS) in your original post. The Fusion is a mid-sized car; presumably designed around mid-sized people.

That is not to say you should be precluded from buying one, however the existence of cars like the Taurus/Impala/Charger indicates (to me, anyway) the manufacturers are at least trying to appeal to those with larger bodies (or the need to transport them).

I agree with you about the Taurus and its backward leap, though. I drove a rented Montego (Sable?) for a week and loved the room. The only flaw I observed was a bit of road/suspension noise that wasn't present in a 300 I'd rented around the same time. I still would have preferred the Montego over the 300, because I hate the gun-slit windows (and high beltline) of the 300, and Ford seems to have decided to imitate them with the new Taurus.

Edited by RangerM