Ford January Sales Up 22%, Industry reports January sales

Ford Motor Company January Sales up 22 Percent, Best since 2006; Fusion, Escape Post Record January Sales

• Ford Motor Company’s January U.S. sales increase 22 percent, with gains across the lineup – cars up 34 percent, utilities up 23 percent, and trucks up 11 percent

Fusion up 65 percent versus year-ago levels – a record January sales month

Escape has best January sales ever – sales increase 16 percent, topping last year’s January record

Explorer sales up 46 percent – best January sales since 2005

America’s best-selling pickup for 36 years running, F-Series posts a 22 percent gain

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 1, 2013 – Ford Motor Company’s January U.S. sales of 166,501 grew 22 percent year-over-year – with retail sales up 24 percent. Gains were made across the product lineup, with cars up 34 percent, utilities up 23 percent, and trucks up 11 percent for the month.

“Ford is off to a strong start this year, with Fusion and Escape delivering January sales records and F-Series seeing a particularly strong reception this early in the year,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Our investment in fuel-efficient new vehicles – including EcoBoost engines and hybrid technology – continues to pay off.”

Sales of all-new Ford Fusion totaled 22,399 vehicles in January, 65 percent increase versus a year ago and Fusion’s best January sales ever. Fusion broke its January 2011 sales record by 56 percent. In addition, Ford’s small car sales were up 29 percent in January versus a year ago, with 23,171 Fiesta, Focus and C-MAX hybrid models sold, marking Ford’s best January small car sales since 2000.

Escape established a January record, as well, with sales totaling 19,939, exceeding January 2012’s record by 16 percent. Explorer sales of 14,554 increased 46 percent versus a year ago, marking Explorer’s best January sales since 2005.

America’s best-selling pickup, the Ford F-Series, begins 2013 with a 22 percent increase versus last January. With 46,841 pickups sold, F-Series marks its 18th consecutive month of monthly sales increases. Transit Connect and E-Series also had strong starts to the year. Transit Connect sales were up 47 percent, marking record January sales total of 3,161 vehicles, while E-Series sales were up 18 percent, with 7,987 vehicles sold.

Looks like the giveaway incentives for the Volt ended. Sales dropped 50% from December to January!

Focus outsold the Cruz. The Camaro outsold the Mustang...and the shocker is the slow selling Challenger sold almost the same amount as the Mustang. Mustang only beat it by 200 cars. I can't figure that one out, unless they had huge incentives!

Focus outsold the Cruz. The Camaro outsold the Mustang...and the shocker is the slow selling Challenger sold almost the same amount as the Mustang. Mustang only beat it by 200 cars. I can't figure that one out, unless they had huge incentives!

I would think fleet sales to police agencies boosted Charger...how many PD's are buying Mustangs?

I would think fleet sales to police agencies boosted Charger...how many PD's are buying Mustangs?

He was asking about the Challenger, not the Charger.

To answer his question. The Challenger is selling right around what it normally does. Perhaps the Mustang sales are down?

Edited by Intrepidatious

He was asking about the Challenger, not the Charger.

To answer his question. The Challenger is selling right around what it normally does. Perhaps the Mustang sales are down?

I've been trying to find a site that posts the Charger 'pursuit' vehicles ,but have not found it. I read that Charger averages about 1000 police/pursuit units a month compared to 700 Taurus pursuits. Ford separates police units from the non-police. Dodge combines them.

The Challenger/Mustang comparison was for Jan 2012/Jan 2013. Challenger 946 more units 2551 vs 3497...compared to Mustang which dropped 128 units (3737 vs 3608). The REAL surprise was the Camaro sales surge far ahead of the other two!!!

Edited by bobbyd

It's good seeing so many up last month, especially the new Fusion and the Escape. Up here by Seattle, they're getting thick on the streets.
Nice to see the Fiesta and Flex both up a bit as well. The Mustang/Camaro thing...I dunno. Maybe some potential buyers are holding off in anticipation for next year's Anniversary car. It's already on my mind.
We'll see how the MKZ does when rolling at full clip. Lincoln needs all the help it can get.

I just can't get over how few Lincoln's were sold in January, especially with so many incentives on the MKS and MKX.

Explorer sales are also driven by generous discounting and lease rates, I've been pricing them up all month and it's insane how cheaply you can get into one.

My sister just leased a Chevy Equinox, also thanks to some favorable lease rates which beat out the Escape for her.

The MKZ ramp-up appears to be going very slowly, but cars should start landing in full-force around Feb 7th.

Edited by BORG

It's good seeing so many up last month, especially the new Fusion and the Escape. Up here by Seattle, they're getting thick on the streets.

Nice to see the Fiesta and Flex both up a bit as well. The Mustang/Camaro thing...I dunno. Maybe some potential buyers are holding off in anticipation for next year's Anniversary car. It's already on my mind.

Not only that, but there is ZERO new with Mustang this year, actually there is less, with the discontinuation of the BOSS 302. They should have offered some kind of update or special edition (Bullitt, Mach1, etc.) to keep some interest until the new generation comes out next year. Just making the Boss engine an option on the GT would have been pretty cool, that would not have been hard to do.

It 's good to see that Ford is powering on in January in spite of supply problems we are aware of with the MKZ.

That massive increase in January Fusion sales speaks of Hermosillo's dedication to Fusion, probably at the

expense of completing and releasing enough MKZs, production of CD4s at Flat Rock can't come soon enough

Edited by jpd80

I have rarely ever seen a company's performance actually be reflected in their stock price.

I have, nearly every quarter when Ford was beginning its recovery, analysts would be pessimistic with Ford's chances while

speculators would buy in front before the quarterly releases and reap the benefits almost immediately when the stock prices

would rise on the back of the "unexpected" good news. It took the market nearly six quarters to realize what was going on..

Edited by jpd80