Lincoln releases Jimmy Fallon, Twitter-sourced Super Bowl ad

Concept is decent, if seemingly trying too hard. Execution is visually appealing (imagery of theme and concept is very good). Execution as it connects the message to the brand is terrible. There is memorable imagery in this ad (the alpaca's head through the roof, the biker wiping away a tear, the space men at the wedding), but none of the "memorable moments" include the car at all.

I thought this was going to be a complete disaster, turns out it's a pretty good attention grabber but definitely not a crowd pleaser. The car stands out when they shoot the interior, that I think is pretty memorable to people watching since they will not have seen something like that before. Thematically, it is irrelevant to the car and the tie-up at the end is really forced.

Edited by BORG

Concept is decent, if seemingly trying too hard. Execution is visually appealing (imagery of theme and concept is very good). Execution as it connects the message to the brand is terrible. There is memorable imagery in this ad (the alpaca's head through the roof, the biker wiping away a tear, the space men at the wedding), but none of the "memorable moments" include the car at all.

well, the alpaca head is sticking out of the open glass roof of a Lincoln MKZ, that is Something......

I liked the bird. But where is Jimmy Fallon and Whill Wiheaton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQ2wq_kir0

Whil Wheaton appears at 0:56.

The commercial is more fun for those who were engaged or participated in the process on Twitter and Facebook. So if you've seen the vignettes, you know more of the backstory and appreciate the interpretation more. I think the ad is charming and whimsical and resonates with me, especially since I'm a fan of Wes Anderson and you can see his influence here.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I liked it. Just a pleasant commercial to watch. I wasn't expecting anything mind-altering from it.

Seems some people expect Lincoln to be able to just flip a switch and suddenly be perceived as completely new and relevant again. One step at a time. I mean it's a Lincoln Super Bowl commercial. When was the last time Ford shelled out money for that? If that alone doesn't tell you that the support for the brand has changed, then, well, I can't help you.

Edited by NickF1011

I liked it. Just a pleasant commercial to watch. I wasn't expecting anything mind-altering from it.

Seems some people expect Lincoln to be able to just flip a switch and suddenly be perceived as completely new and relevant again. One step at a time. I mean it's a Lincoln Super Bowl commercial. When was the last time Ford shelled out money for that? If that alone doesn't tell you that the support for the brand has changed, then, well, I can't help you.

Lincoln's commercials are more intimate, more authentic(hipster) and human scale than the flamboyant starship ads which might excite but don't really charm. VW is especially good at this. I don't think Lincoln connected the dots well enough in this one, and it certainly won't be noticed as much as Lincoln probably needs it to be, but it's not horrible at all. The ad seems to fly against the existing ads however, which are more traditional and geared toward an older crowd. So now I'm confused by the MKZ's target market, this commercial is best appreciated by a younger audience. Personally, I actually connect better with this ad than any of the other Lincoln ads which probably says something about the intended audience. The ad pivots on a single concept which I think needs to define Lincoln in some concrete way, which is the idea of the individual experience, and I'd rather see this campaign going forward.

Edited by BORG

The commercial is more fun for those who were engaged or participated in the process on Twitter and Facebook. So if you've seen the vignettes, you know more of the backstory and appreciate the interpretation more.

The problem with that is Lincoln only has 16,000 followers on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LincolnMotorCo

If they want to make inside jokes with 16,000 people...don't do it during the Superbowl with millions watching.

That ad just fell flat for me. It's like they were trying to be funny...but with no punch line. It's almost like they just wanted to be (eeeewwww) cuuuuuuute. That worked for VW, but they also did it much much better (and had a payoff in most of their commercials)

I SO wanted this ad to be good.

Edited by Intrepidatious

The problem with that is Lincoln only has 16,000 followers on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LincolnMotorCo

If they want to make inside jokes with 16,000 people...don't do it during the Superbowl with millions watching.

That ad just fell flat for me. It's like they were trying to be funny...but with no punch line. It's almost like they just wanted to be (eeeewwww) cuuuuuuute. That worked for VW, but they also did it much much better (and had a payoff in most of their commercials)

I SO wanted this ad to be good.

No, I completely agree, and this was my fear all along. They wanted this to be a connected social experience, but nobody is engaged with Lincoln on Twitter or Facebook. But it's an investment toward that goal, although I can't help but feel Lincoln is too obviously strategic about it's efforts. Again, promoting itself before they even have cars to sell.

Edited by BORG

Whil Wheaton appears at 0:56. - ah yes, thanks, I missed him. And I believe the guy who says "really" is that other person they've mentioned.

Regarding Lincolns limited followers didn't this also go to Jimmy Fallon's Twitter followers? Also though I follow neither and am not a big twitter user I understand the concept of people sending in short lines that have to be tied together to make a story. After all that's kind of what Improv is. Tosh.0 does some very funny twitter stories from viewer tweets .

I like the ad, though I'm curious to see how it plays on TV, on a big flat screen it may be easier to catch some of the detail and the car does look good.

As to this guy, I certainly don't think its total nonsense.

http://jalopnik.com/5980763/this-is-jimmy-fallons-awful-twitter+sourced-lincoln-super-bowl-ad?popular=true

The overwhelming attitude is that this is a failed commercial which further embarrasses Lincoln. I don't think it will register for most people, at most it just brings more awareness of Lincoln, perhaps not positive/negative attention.

So far the relaunch of Lincoln has been extremely bumpy, and they can't afford to be this clumsy since it reflects badly on a tenuous brand image. I don't know, I guess the fact that Lincoln saw the industry's biggest sales decline following a massive marketing blitz with an extremely late MKZ launch heightens the present failure of Lincoln. I just hope there is SOME positive momentum coming and all of this pays off. Right now it's kinda like watching the colossal Microsoft Sufface ad campaign that fails to actually produce customers.

Edited by BORG

Omg Borg just compared Lincoln to Microsoft. The Surface in particular. Dude it is pretty well known that Apple controls the tablet market. Who controls the luxury vehicle market?

Actually, Android dominates the tablet market now. Microsoft is about as irrelevant to tablets as Lincoln is to luxury, right now anyway. Both want to change that and both are doing it with massive ad campaigns (although Lincoln just reruns the same ad a billion times). Ultimately, I think Lincoln has a better shot than Microsoft ;)

Edited by BORG

Actually, Android dominates the tablet market now. Microsoft is about as irrelevant to tablets as Lincoln is to luxury, right now anyway. Both want to change that and both are doing it with massive ad campaigns (although Lincoln just reruns the same ad a billion times). Ultimately, I think Lincoln has a better shot than Microsoft ;)

I have an HTC Windows Phone 8X and like it much more than my old Droid. In fact, I like it enough that I'm considering buying a Surface Pro later this year to replace my iPad. The Apple and Android UI's seem dated and fussy by comparison.

Kinda the same situation with Lincoln. It may be hard to convince buyers to switch, but those that do will appreciate the attention to detail, the clean lines, and the pushing of the envelope. It takes time and word of mouth to rebuild an image.

I have an HTC Windows Phone 8X and like it much more than my old Droid. In fact, I like it enough that I'm considering buying a Surface Pro later this year to replace my iPad. The Apple and Android UI's seem dated and fussy by comparison.

Kinda the same situation with Lincoln. It may be hard to convince buyers to switch, but those that do will appreciate the attention to detail, the clean lines, and the pushing of the envelope. It takes time and word of mouth to rebuild an image.

I'm sure those Surface Pro users will appreciate buying a 64GB tablet with 23GB available to the user and a 4-hour battery life. Very consumer friendly.

Edited by BORG

UGH! I am so dissapointed. That is a Thursday 8pm commercial. That is not a super bowl commercial. Hell, I like the other commercials they have aired better. What a waste of 4 million. Lincoln is supposed to be targeting a different crowd, but I am not sure the crowd this commercial is for will even be watching the Super bowl. It should have been something showing lincoln is reinventing its self. Something that people will notice and remember. The super bowl commercials are supposed to be fun and light hearted. Not boring and end with everyone one saying WTF!!!?