Ford Police Interceptors selling like hot cakes---or donuts?

Why would a police vehicle need to be upscale?

For the Beverly Hills PD?

Ford would probably rather sell a Transit Connect Taxi. Do you see many new sedan taxis? In Chicago the panther close to being gone. Most new taxis seem to be "boxes" - MPVs/SUVs. I see a fare number of VPGs (RIP), xBs, Transit Connects, Escapes. One company seems to have standardized on the C-MAX - I see a ton of them. The most common I'd say now is the Prius.

If Ford put a 'basic' hybrid package into Transit Connect, it would dominate the Taxi / Livery markets for basic conveyance.

Edited by twintornados

• 3 weeks later...

Ford can take a TPI drop in the upcoming N/A D 2.7, ( eb 2.0 is too costly/possible turbo issues and 3.5/3.7 is too much for cab and businessmen)put it in the car , alternative fuel and engine options, there you go. Or/and give it a new name for the entire police/fleet market so Taurus won't have hurt resale (Custom, LTD?).

Guess Ford took my advice......

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/ford-announces-first-non-pursuit-rated-police-car-ever/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Hope the 2.0 Eco isn't to costly, some cab companies would want this.

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/ford-announces-first-non-pursuit-rated-police-car-ever/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

That is an interesting point. The question is my mind is will they really hold up like the old Crown Vics? Cabbies drive the Vics literally into the ground because they are cheap to buy and cheap to fix. Plus, they are tanks and hold up well. Time will tell if the Taurus and Explorer is even close.

2.0L Ecoboost is a $995 option on Taurus....with a decontented "Special Service Vehicle" like the one touted in the article, I cannot see that car being much over $24K.

The money saved before a single Taurus PI and Explorer was ever sold.

Two whole production lines were closed down - Panther and BOF Explorer.

In Ford's eyes, the money saved by doing that and replacing with existing D3,

far outweighs the return on investment from upgrading the older BOFs.

That money can be used more effectively in other product segments.

• 5 months later...

I made a trip across Pa from Pittsburgh to Broomall this past weekend. I saw a bunch of new PI sedans and Utilities in PA State Police livery and a few unmarked cars along the Turnpike. I guess they abandoned the Dodge Chargers they were trying out.

I also saw a car carrier loaded with Lincoln MKT stretched limos headed East.

I made a trip across Pa from Pittsburgh to Broomall this past weekend. I saw a bunch of new PI sedans and Utilities in PA State Police livery and a few unmarked cars along the Turnpike. I guess they abandoned the Dodge Chargers they were trying out.

I also saw a car carrier loaded with Lincoln MKT stretched limos headed East.

Your post jarred my memory - last night we saw a Police Interceptor sedan with Pennsylvania State Police decals idling in the median of I-283 on our way to Elizabethtown.

I'm so used to seeing municipal police departments using Police Interceptor sedans and Explorers that it didn't immediately register. Even Matchbox has released a version of the latest Ford Police Interceptor!

I've seen one Chevrolet Caprice police car - it is being used by the Middletown Borough Police Department.

Edited by grbeck

Your post jarred my memory - last night we saw a Police Interceptor sedan with Pennsylvania State Police decals idling in the median of I-283 on our way to Elizabethtown.

I'm so used to seeing municipal police departments using Police Interceptor sedans and Explorers that it didn't immediately register. Even Matchbox has released a version of the latest Ford Police Interceptor!

I've seen one Chevrolet Caprice police car - it is being used by the Middletown Borough Police Department.

Despite all of the many municipalities we have in Western Pennsylvania, the only Caprice police car I have seen was with the Allegheny County Police at the Pittsburgh Airport. There are still a few departments using Dodge Chargers and plenty of old Impalas still on duty, but nearly every new unit in this area is a Ford PI or PI Utility. A lot of the departments were not Ford buyers before since many did not use the RWD Crown Vics.

None of the depts. here in CT are in a hurry to get rid of the CVPI's. I think they're going to keep them until they disintegrate! Middletown here has about 20 they use just for road jobs! By the time they do get rid of them, I bet it will be another 5 to 10 years before you don't see a one! It's going to take 20 to 30 plus years before you see no CVPI's in film/on TV! Ever hear of reruns!?

None of the depts. here in CT are in a hurry to get rid of the CVPI's. I think they're going to keep them until they disintegrate! Middletown here has about 20 they use just for road jobs! By the time they do get rid of them, I bet it will be another 5 to 10 years before you don't see a one! It's going to take 20 to 30 plus years before you see no CVPI's in film/on TV! Ever hear of reruns!?

it's pretty much the same here. Roughly 70% of the fleet is Vics that are approaching the 200 thousand mile mark. They are having no choice but to switch to the Taurus which isn't a bad patrol car from what I hear from the Officers that have them. I think we've just become so accustom to the Crown Vic being the go to police car for so many years and so many departments that letting go of it is proving difficult.

Looking good, Tread!

Seattle PD wants to convert from vics over to Utilities, but the former mayor stopped the purchase process and mandated that they study using Priuses first. New mayor doesn't seem to be in a rush to correct that. sigh.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I am training a rookie so I haven't had a chance to drive it. I can report though that the passenger seat is much more comfortable than the Crown Vic.

A Prius patrol car? I just can't see that working out too well.

Looking good, Tread!

Seattle PD wants to convert from vics over to Utilities, but the former mayor stopped the purchase process and mandated that they study using Priuses first. New mayor doesn't seem to be in a rush to correct that. sigh.

If his goal is to get hybrids out there, then he should consider the C-Max or Fusion Hybrid....

Thanks! Unfortunately, I am training a rookie so I haven't had a chance to drive it. I can report though that the passenger seat is much more comfortable than the Crown Vic.

A Prius patrol car? I just can't see that working out too wel

The Chatham University Police have been using Prius patrol cars for a while. Of course their whole campus is only a few blocks and they are in the city limits so the Pittsburgh Police handle the serious crime in the neighborhood. I guess a Prius would be fine for light duty work like parking enforcement. I have heard that some departments use Fusion Hybrids for light duty work.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

13114783695_57f55432fd.jpg

10863338745_bfd0c15504.jpg

LAPD PI

9856947614_2f09aa46d4.jpg

LAPD PU

LAPD also has black & white PU but I can't find any good photos of it. They are replacing the Tahoe (Foothill Division) and 4Runner (Pacific Division) that patrols hilly/mountain area and the beach.

Edited by bzcat