Ford Fusion cabin air filter....WOW!

I had the blower motor replaced recently on my 2001 Taurus. I would have done it myself but have no time these days. I doubt if my buddy who owns a shop replaced the cabin filter, if indeed one exists in my car. I sold auto parts and did my own car repairs for 40 years and I've never been aware of cabin filters before. When did they start using them? I'm experiencing a persistent cough and smelling a musty smell in this car occasionally. I don't remember this occurring in older cars. What gives? So where is it? In the duct work? Is accessing the blower motor necessary?

Your 2001 Taurus should have a filter. I had a 2001 Sable and it had one. Get to it from under the hood, on the passenger side. You need to remove a plastic cover.

The way I figure it, even if having a filter or not matters to a person, if clogged, it could force the blower motor to overwork and result in a shortened life.

• Like 1

One thing I dislike in some Fords A/C system is how the Recirc mode resets when you re-start the car. I know with my LS its was like 5 clicks of buttons and between the Seat A/C, Recirc for the A/C, and Ok for the Nav. The air conditioned seats, also have a filter of their own too FYI...

Hey genius it's just a particle filter it doesn't stop exhaust gas from entering your car.

If you are stuck in traffic press the recirculate button to prevent outside fumes from being drawn into the vehicle. You would have known that if you read your owners manual. By the way, those people who didn't know their vehicle was equipped with a cabin filter should read their manual and replace it at the specified maintenance intervals. Still not sure? Then ask your dealer service dept. We are following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations aren't we?

None of my vehicles have a cabin air filter including my '06 F150, how have I managed to live so long?

edit: Yes, original post was tounge-in-cheek.

LOL. Wow.

I just figure, without a filter, it's easy to blow dirt and dust into a cabin, but difficult for it to get out. That basically makes your cabin a dirt sink that will accumulate and worsen over time.

A motorcycle by contrast, you're basically being blasted continuously by a stream of air that then has the good courtesy to carry away as much junk as it brings.

I had the blower motor replaced recently on my 2001 Taurus. I would have done it myself but have no time these days. I doubt if my buddy who owns a shop replaced the cabin filter, if indeed one exists in my car. I sold auto parts and did my own car repairs for 40 years and I've never been aware of cabin filters before. When did they start using them? I'm experiencing a persistent cough and smelling a musty smell in this car occasionally. I don't remember this occurring in older cars. What gives? So where is it? In the duct work? Is accessing the blower motor necessary?

I would start with the filter and see how it goes...I noticed my interior seems "fresher" with a new filter. Give it a try, ya got nothing to lose.

• 2 weeks later...
Still plenty available...I did a lot of research and this is a good deal....The assembly is held in by three 6mm socket size screws....damn near the easiest repair I have done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350694347585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks again for the link I got the replacement blower and the fan runs good as new! Like you said the repair was also very simple and it's amazing how quiet it runs compared to the old chipping one.

Thanks again for the link I got the replacement blower and the fan runs good as new! Like you said the repair was also very simple and it's amazing how quiet it runs compared to the old chipping one.

WxDan....great to hear and glad I could help out a fellow Ford fan....enjoy the quiet....

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this, I bought a cabin air filter. I have only 11300 miles on mine, but drove some miles off road (light off road) in the desert earlier this year. I looked and didn't see anything obvious and I didn't feel like digging too deep, so... question, does anyone know the exact location and how to access the cabin air filter on a 2013 Escape. I changed the filter on my Focus so I know the procedure once I find the filter.

With the advent of "One Ford"....I would look behind the glove box area to see if you can find an access cover of some type...

That's where I was looking but didn't see anything obvious. There's what looks like a 1/4 turn screw on the right side of the inside of the glovebox, I didn't have a pliers with me and couldn't turn it with my fingers. I'll look closer tomorrow and also check the cowl area for access.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Just to update this thread, I went and picked up a new cabin filter for scheduled maintenance today on my 2012 Fusion SEL. If you remember, I had replaced it when my HVAC fan was making a chirping noise back in February of this year...here we are, 7 1/2 months later, and this is what the replaced cabin filter looks like...new one is next to it for comparison and was as pristine and white as the new one is when I installed it....going to go to bi-annual replacement, once in the spring and once in the fall....5 minutes of time and cost is under $10.

1380608_10201242708605633_1149960148_n.j

On the 2013 Fusion you have to disassemble half the dash to get the glovebox out to get to the filter. There is a youtube video on it. I would assume the Escape is similar.

My 2012 is easy by compariison...however, I think that from what I saw, the 2013 glove box should come out the same way as the 2012 does without having to remove the entire frame...but I am not 100% positive.

^ yeah, that seemed rather excessive? My Edge I just press the 2 top hinges inward to fully lower the glovebox. The the filter sits right behind.

Same as my 2012...I think it is the same on the 2013, but will have to wait til I am at the dealership next time to see if the setup is the same. Couldn't really tell from his video...didn't get a good look at the glove box opening.

I opened up the area where the filter supposed to be, there was no filter there. Apparently it got missed on the assembly line?? Anyhow, there is one in there now...

When i bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLT, it was new and it did not come with a cabin air filter. It was Ford's infamous cost cutting.