New Light & Medium Duty News

Loader backhoes were for sure all Ford, I do believe the loaders (A-62, A-64, A-66) were built in France by someone else? Same with the excavators-actually I don't believe I have ever seen a Ford excavator.

Anyone have a clue. By the way still plenty of 555 and 665 TLB's working around here-in particular municipal machines.

Correct; made in France. Ford owned a portion of Richier, and some models had Ford engines. So, I would be inclined to consider them, unlike (say) a Vermeer grinder or Smith compressor using just a Ford engine.

Correct; made in France. Ford owned a portion of Richier, and some models had Ford engines. So, I would be inclined to consider them, unlike (say) a Vermeer grinder or Smith compressor using just a Ford engine.

thx for confirmation-could not remembername Richier. After I did my post I went on MachineryTrader and there are 20 Fords listed in loader.

At least it doesn't have one of stupid hydro transmission jobs that the newer tractors all seem to come with. Tried a few of them and they seemed like a real downgrade from the old clutch.

Dude, try using one for cutting grass.

I've got a JD 2720 compact utility tractor that I use for everything from cutting grass, loader work, blading snow, tilling the garden, grading the drive to brush hogging, and about 200 other things. No way would I have a gear drive for that!

Now, if I were out plowing 100's of acres of crop land, I may have a different tune.

Dude, try using one for cutting grass.

I've got a JD 2720 compact utility tractor that I use for everything from cutting grass, loader work, blading snow, tilling the garden, grading the drive to brush hogging, and about 200 other things. No way would I have a gear drive for that!

Now, if I were out plowing 100's of acres of crop land, I may have a different tune.

Completely different machines dude. The 445 is about 4x as much tractor as your 2720. The 445 weighs in close to 10,000# with full wheel weights, filled tires, and loader. To give an idea of its size, it has an 80" bucket with over 7000# breakout force, cat. II three point, and 16.9-24 rear tires.

Completely useless for cutting grass unless you want v-tread marks in the lawn every 6'. Even then you'd have to find some sort of 3 point finish mower as it has no provision for a belly mower.

The clutch is perfect for what I use it for. I do enjoy the hydro on my zero turn lawnmower though.

Completely different machines dude. The 445 is about 4x as much tractor as your 2720. The 445 weighs in close to 10,000# with full wheel weights, filled tires, and loader. To give an idea of its size, it has an 80" bucket with over 7000# breakout force, cat. II three point, and 16.9-24 rear tires.

Completely useless for cutting grass unless you want v-tread marks in the lawn every 6'. Even then you'd have to find some sort of 3 point finish mower as it has no provision for a belly mower.

The clutch is perfect for what I use it for. I do enjoy the hydro on my zero turn lawnmower though.

I know, it was mostly tongue in cheek. Notice my final line about plowing. :)

But hey, if you cut the grass with the 445, you'd only have to do it once, cause all the grass would be dead! :)

My neighbor has a 4000 series JD with the e-Hydro transmission. Now that thing is sweet! Automatically increases the RPM as the load increases. Push harder on the pedal and the RPMs come up.

I was of the belief that later model E-series could not be fitted with a doesel engine because no current diesel would fit. But I just saw/heard one the other day. Did I miss something? Hunter's Ambulance in Middletown here had gone to Chevies because of this I thought.

The 6.0 diesel fit but not the newer 6.7.

Ford stockpiled a bunch of 6.0 V8 for the E-series cutaway cab chassis for fleet order only after the retail option was eliminated in 2010 on vans. There were still officially 2010 model year but some were sold as late as 2012.

Here is an interesting thought...the new Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel....fit for E-Series? I know it is a dead chassis walking, but the Cummins 5.0L seems like a decent fit for it.

I thought Nissan had some sort of exclusive on that. Plus I would imagine that Ford will do nothing to make the Transit less attractive- want a diesel? get a Transit. Higher GVW's? they will pass on that market if customer insists on diesel-

Been reading some SAE documents, some interesting heavy engine tech looks to be looming over the horizon. As emission requirements will continue to tighten along with fuel economy requirements going up, there is much research going on and some interesting engine concepts out there. One is a 4 cyl diesel for class 8 trucks, 8 liter/400 hp. The shorter engine (shorter by 2 cylinders) would allow more room for exhaust aftertreatment equipment closer to the engine. But that Cummins QSK 60 liter V16 is one nice engine.

Too lazy to google it, so what is Job 1 date for new mediums? I think that continuing to show an old print ad with a wood chipping truck just doesn't cut it in a municipal, towing or fire mag! They should be lighting some fires NOW!

Joe- I believe it is around July 13 +/- -unless Richard has more current info- I got that number off Ford Fleet about a month go.