Ford Motor Company March 2013 Sales Figures

Damn, with all these Fusion sales, I have still have only seen one and that was 2 months ago. Get some over here in NY. I still haven't seen a new Taurus :(

Hard to miss the new Fusion on the road. I saw about 7 of them in a span of a few minutes yesterday on my way to work. The '13 Taurus is a bit harder to spot. From any sort of distance it looks pretty much like the old one outside the tail lights at night.

What's even more surprising about that F truck performance is that by GM's own admission,

F150's average transaction price is around $4,000 higher than Silverado ATPs.

It might even be higher this month - Edmunds said GM avg $5800 in incentives Truck sales last month with Ford was at about $4000, the one that stuck out was that Fusion ATP were $2000 more than the Camry and $1000 more than the Accord and Altima. This could be a very good quarter if those numbers hold up. I think Fusion sales will slow in the next few months by lack of inventory Flat Rock doesn't start the 2014 until August.

It might even be higher this month - Edmunds said GM avg $5800 in incentives Truck sales last month with Ford was at about $4000, the one that stuck out was that Fusion ATP were $2000 more than the Camry and $1000 more than the Accord and Altima. This could be a very good quarter if those numbers hold up. I think Fusion sales will slow in the next few months by lack of inventory Flat Rock doesn't start the 2014 until August.

Might drop off a little bit for a couple months, but overall, it looks like Ford has timed the Fusion launch at Flat Rock almost perfectly, assuming production starts without any major hiccups.

I do think it would be funny to see the Malibu's fleet sales for March. However, that would only prove how desirable the Malibu is to the rental market, instead of how GM was dumping them because they are not selling.

That said, I just saw our first new Malibu in Payson..................... on the road. How pathetic is that??

As a fleet passenger car (all segments - rental, commercial, and government) Chevy Malibu is OK, Ford Fusion is better. Actually, Fusion is best - it won the 2013 Fleet Car of the Year award.

I had the opportunity to rent a 2013 Fusion SE 2.5L recently while visiting one of my employer's distribution sites in the Los Angeles region. Despite its flaws, the Fusion was very satisfying to drive and practical at the same time. Combine those attributes with Ford's top notch fleet sales and customer service team, and it's easy to understand why fleet managers made the Fusion their top passenger car pick.

13_fusion1_la.jpg

13_fusion2_la.jpg

Edited by aneekr

The Fusion is a car that looks good at any price, you can't buy a crappy looking one. For example, you get LED tail-ligts standard, there is none of that obnoxious optioning out like you get on cars like the Malibu.

They do look pretty good in all trims, but I will say the back end of the top trims looks heads and tails nicer than the flat black on the lower bumper and single tailpipe found on the other models.

Michigan is now flooded with Fusions, I'm seeing them everywhere. The Escape is the same story. Because I'm in Michigan I also see tons of new Edges, Explorers, Tauruses, and Lincolns, even the MKT and Flex. The Explorer (and Caddy SRX in my area) is probably the most ubiquitous suburban crawler these days, especially in an import loving community. I rarely see the Fiesta and Mustang (Michiganders don't buy many RWD sports cars for understandable reasons). What I still don't see is the MKZ, at all. Which is very strange to me considering I almost owned one two months ago, and I live in a very wealthy community surrounded by well stocked dealerships. I mean I see a shit-ton of 2014 Grand Cherokees as if they were handing them out like candy right after they were announced, yet the MKZ in Ford's own backyard months after going on sale..nothing. I figure they are being sold mostly to retirees and they are basically parking them in their garage ;)

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Correct. Impala "Classic" is supposed to stick around for about a year last I heard.

Only delaying the inevitable hahahaha

Damn, with all these Fusion sales, I have still have only seen one and that was 2 months ago. Get some over here in NY. I still haven't seen a new Taurus :(

I'm seeing them all over the place down here.

(FWIW, this is very much a Honda town---the local Honda dealer is very well run)

Vern Eide Motorcars? That dealership group and its Honda franchise in particular is regarded highly throughout the Upper Midwest. I often see Vern Eide stickers on late model cars in the Twin Cities (with Minnesota license plates). I'm sure they are not just cars belonging to South Dakota transplants to Minneapolis. ;)

Edited by aneekr

Michigan is now flooded with Fusions, I'm seeing them everywhere. The Escape is the same story. Because I'm in Michigan......

Not to edit you, but your comment applies to SE Michigan.

In northern lower Michigan, I've seen very few Fusions but a few more Escapes (which makes sense. Here in snowland, you'll see more AWD vehicles than FWD or RWD vehicles). The big sellers up here are pickup trucks (most 4WD).

In northern lower Michigan, I've seen very few Fusions but a few more Escapes (which makes sense. Here in snowland, you'll see more AWD vehicles than FWD or RWD vehicles). The big sellers up here are pickup trucks (most 4WD).

But you can get AWD on the Fusion! :-P

Its weird where I'm at now. The population density (and income levels to a lesser extent) of where I live at in MD is like 1/4 or less then where I was at in Jersey, but yet I've seen a ton of SHO's in the past 3-4 months since I've ordered mine vs what other people have been mentioning on another forum I goto..heck I got a black SHO across the street from me in the industrial park I work at. I've seen at least 3-4 of them in the area, but two of them were the same car.

I've been seeing more and more Fusions and a smattering of newer 2013 Tauri in the area. I guess we get a decent mix of cars down here due to people doing the weekly commute from Jersey to APG for work and whatever military is still there.

Its weird where I'm at now. The population density (and income levels to a lesser extent) of where I live at in MD is like 1/4 or less then where I was at in Jersey, but yet I've seen a ton of SHO's in the past 3-4 months since I've ordered mine vs what other people have been mentioning on another forum I goto..heck I got a black SHO across the street from me in the industrial park I work at. I've seen at least 3-4 of them in the area, but two of them were the same car.

I've been seeing more and more Fusions and a smattering of newer 2013 Tauri in the area. I guess we get a decent mix of cars down here due to people doing the weekly commute from Jersey to APG for work and whatever military is still there.

Keep in mind that you live in a pretty heavy commuter area. A lot of the people who work in that area don't live there. It's similar to me working around the airport.

Keep in mind that you live in a pretty heavy commuter area. A lot of the people who work in that area don't live there. It's similar to me working around the airport.

What's really weird is I am also in a massive commute area and am not seeing all these cars. I drive from Westchester county up to Stamford CT every day up the I-95 corridor. Throw me a bone Fusion & Taurus buyers! Let me see your cars!

Vern Eide Motorcars? That dealership group and its Honda franchise in particular is regarded highly throughout the Upper Midwest. I often see Vern Eide stickers on late model cars in the Twin Cities (with Minnesota license plates). I'm sure they are not just cars belonging to South Dakota transplants to Minneapolis. ;)

Yep. One and the same.

They may be the only thing keeping Mitsubishi in business in NA.

An exceptionally well-run outfit.

• Like 1

No, you're right, although the first 2013 MKZ I saw on the road was in Perry, Michigan. I've only seen one around here, and it was in Rochester. You don't see many pickup trucks in SE Michigan, I know my Texas relatives and co-workers are always shocked that we all seem to drive Fusions, Malibus, and Escapes, very few F-150s. I'm pretty sure the Escape (especially the last-gen model) is the official vehicle of Metro Detroit.

Edited by BORG

No, you're right, although the first 2013 MKZ I saw on the road was in Perry, Michigan. I've only seen one around here, and it was in Rochester. You don't see many pickup trucks in SE Michigan, I know my Texas relatives and co-workers are always shocked that we all seem to drive Fusions, Malibus, and Escapes, very few F-150s. I'm pretty sure the Escape (especially the last-gen model) is the official vehicle of Metro Detroit.

I mean I know you live on the East Side borg but on the west side -- almost every other car is a pickup truck (Ford Ram Chevy even Toyota), my friend from Texas laughs he seems more here then when he's home. I see 2-3 other Raptors everyday. Though the West side is really Ford country.

I will say I have only seen 1 new MKZ on the road that didn't have an April Tag or M plate.

Ford has indicated their delight with F Truck's 67,000 sales last month and under questioning confirmed that

F Truck is not restricted and that Ford is prepared to increase production and sell as many F Trucks as the market demands.

You don't see many pickup trucks in SE Michigan, I know my Texas relatives and co-workers are always shocked that we all seem to drive Fusions, Malibus, and Escapes, very few F-150s. I'm pretty sure the Escape (especially the last-gen model) is the official vehicle of Metro Detroit.

Fusion and Escape were the top choices in the Detroit area back in 2011, when R.L. Polk did a profile of vehicles preferred by non-fleet new car buyers in the largest Designated Market Areas (DMAs).

In the charts below, AA = African American; AS = Asian; HS = Hispanic and OT = Non-AA, Non-AS, Non-HS.

Detroit DMA:

20110822_detroit_mb03.jpg

Houston DMA:

20110930_houston_dma_mb02.jpg

Edited by aneekr