What's Next From Ford E.U.? S-MAX, B-MAX?

We already have the Focus, Focus ST, Fiesta, Fiesta ST, Mondeo (Fusion), Transit (coming), Kuga (Escape) and the Transit Connect - I may have even forgotten others. . .

So, what's next from Ford of Europe? The prime candidates that I thought of were the Galaxie, Ford B-MAX and Ford S-MAX. Are there others?

Do we even need the Galaxie, B-MAX, S-MAX or another Ford model from Europe here? What are your thoughts?

Here's a nice review of the Galaxie/S-MAX:

Ford B-MAX:

Edited by robertlane

The S-Max and Galaxie are going to be replaced by new cars based a version of the CD4 platform, the same one underpinning the new 2015 Ford Edge. While the Edge will be global, the S-Max and Galaxie are very unlikely candidates for US consumption. It's a similar story with the B-Max, these are vehicles fitted for a specific market with pricing incompatible with US consumers. I think the globalization now comes from the US side, so we will be pushing out more of our nameplates to the globe than vice-versa. So Edge, Mustang, and apparently Explorer in some markets like Russia. The next-gen Taurus could also be a candidate for global sales, although not likely in Europe.

You also have to remember that cars like the S-Max and Galaxie exist in nations without Explorer, Flex, or Edge. And in the US, we don't have equivalents to the Galaxie or S-Max on the market.

Edited by BORG

I still don't think EcoSport is likely in the US until they can do something about the spare-tire and side-opening hatch. And my guess is that pricing is an issue with the Escape starting so low. You have to remember that Chevy also has a solution in the form of the Trax, yet Buick gets it. And the Trax offers a vastly superior package for the US market than EcoSport of B-Max, yet again Chevy can't seem to justify its existence here as an inexpensive Chevy ute.

Edited by BORG

I think Ford needs a CUV slotted below the Escape. Kia is there with the Soul, Scion with its XB and XD, Honda will enter the B-Segment CUV soon. The Chevy Trax isn't coming here because it wanted something very unique for Buick to sell here...and at a higher price. My other reasoning is that I think Ford needs a "quirky" and affordable entry in its lineup. A North American-spec EcoSport ( WITH A DIFFERENT NAME ) could be a hit. Build it alongside the NA Fiesta and price it starting at 18-20 and have it top out at $25,000 fully loaded right below the Escape.

I think Ford needs a CUV slotted below the Escape. Kia is there with the Soul, Scion with its XB and XD, Honda will enter the B-Segment CUV soon. The Chevy Trax isn't coming here because it wanted something very unique for Buick to sell here...and at a higher price. My other reasoning is that I think Ford needs a "quirky" and affordable entry in its lineup. A North American-spec EcoSport ( WITH A DIFFERENT NAME ) could be a hit. Build it alongside the NA Fiesta and price it starting at 18-20 and have it top out at $25,000 fully loaded right below the Escape.

I agree this vehicle is needed, but the EcoSport is far from the right product. The Honda will probably point the way for this segment in the US, and it certainly isn't an EcoSport.

Edited by BORG

Maybe next gen EcoSport. The current generation is definitely not something that will sell here.

I think we have pretty much exhausted all the possible Euro import One Ford products. From now on, the push will be to get US designed products to Europe (and elsewhere), starting with the new Fusion.

Edge will for sure be sold in China and Europe. Mustang is confirmed for worldwide sale. And Explorer was just introduced in China so the next gen will be global too. And I'd put my money on Taurus going global too... China is 100% guaranteed to get CD4 Taurus, and it will probably go to Australia to replace the Falcon.

I would like to see B-Max and EcoSport to compete with Soul, Fit and Trax. I'm not saying Fiesta because that's a given. Ford will have Transit Wagon here but perhaps a 7 seat option for the. Upcoming Edge to compete with Santa Fe for instance. Hear me out on this : I am well aware there is Explorer and Flex and that's a class in size up. IF Ford can execute this option to the same degree as Hyundai, you would perk up interest. I am aware the Santa Fe seats 7 largely in theory so what's the difference? Ford will take crap from the press for it or how they "cheat" in measurement...just my nickel (no pennies up here).

imho the EcoSport & B-Max need to be combined

'course I also think it should be a 2020 Mercury "microSport"

In this market, I think the B-Max is least likely to find acceptance, although it's the better vehicle. The MPV-ish style and sliders indicate a family vehicle, but this is not likely to be purchased by families in the US at all. So who buys it then?

The EcoSport is the most appealing visually because it's a stylish SUV-ish crossover that looks nothing like a Fiesta or MPV. But it's clearly not designed for the US market and would be the only vehicle in its class with a visible spare tire and side-swinging "hatch". This means no automatic lift-gate and it's not garage-door friendly. They would be at a competitive disadvantage and wouldn't be a very good answer to Honda and GM so federalizing and importing would be a waste of money. Ford needs to get this one right and I'm a little surprised to see they have two vehicles of similar size and form factor but neither of them resemble global products that can be sold in the US. This indicates to me that Ford isn't interested in the segment for the US and wont' be for quite a few more years.

Edited by BORG

With the future of Flex in question, and OAP needing the work with only the Edge selling/produced in high volume, Ford could use another people mover with no minivan and the S-Max could be a good fit. I know Ford is importing the new TC passenger van, but an S-Max could fit the bill for those who want something bigger than C-Max and more stylish, car like than TC van. And with new CAFE standards coming, more stablemates for Fiesta seem inevitable.

But it's clearly not designed for the US market and would be the only vehicle in its class with a visible spare tire and side-swinging "hatch". This means no automatic lift-gate and it's not garage-door friendly.

:headscratch:

How does it being side-opening make it any less garage door friendly than opening upward? Either way, you're probably not opening it with the garage door closed unless you have a pretty large garage.

I don't see any issues with it being side-opening, especially if the overall vehicle height is low enough that an upward-opening hatch would make it more difficult to lean into the cargo area to load and unload items.

:headscratch:

How does it being side-opening make it any less garage door friendly than opening upward? Either way, you're probably not opening it with the garage door closed unless you have a pretty large garage.

What size garage is considered average? I routinely open the hatch on our edge while the garage door is shut and I don't consider my garage to be large.

What size garage is considered average? I routinely open the hatch on our edge while the garage door is shut and I don't consider my garage to be large.

No idea. My garage barely even fits my Mustang in it, let alone would it have a prayer of having room to open my Edge's hatch inside it.

No idea. My garage barely even fits my Mustang in it, let alone would it have a prayer of having room to open my Edge's hatch inside it.

Well, the Edge is just over 15 ft in length and my garage is 22 ft. That gives me plenty of room. I always assumed my garage was average size.

The S-Max and Galaxie are going to be replaced by new cars based a version of the CD4 platform, the same one underpinning the new 2015 Ford Edge.

true.

While the Edge will be global, the S-Max and Galaxie are very unlikely candidates for US consumption.

why?

It's a similar story with the B-Max, these are vehicles fitted for a specific market with pricing incompatible with US consumers.

how So?

How much doe the B-max cost in comparison to the Fiesta, I believe it commands a $2000 premium over the fiesta would a $16,000 B-max be too much for the US? and Why?

I think the globalization now comes from the US side, so we will be pushing out more of our nameplates to the globe than vice-versa. So Edge, Mustang, and apparently Explorer in some markets like Russia. The next-gen Taurus could also be a candidate for global sales, although not likely in Europe.

I think more is better FOE could use some higher margin products that FNA makes, but that does not mean there isn't a place for FoE product in the US, especially since It is getting difficult to grown market share without a more diverse product portfolio.

You also have to remember that cars like the S-Max and Galaxie exist in nations without Explorer, Flex, or Edge. And in the US, we don't have equivalents to the Galaxie or S-Max on the market.

and those nations still buy MPVs where as the US doesn't, you cannot view the Cadre of CUVs you listed as replacements but as addition to the existing lineup. the Same should be said for any EU products sold in the US.

true.

why?

how So?

How much doe the B-max cost in comparison to the Fiesta, I believe it commands a $2000 premium over the fiesta would a $16,000 B-max be too much for the US? and Why?

I think more is better FOE could use some higher margin products that FNA makes, but that does not mean there isn't a place for FoE product in the US, especially since It is getting difficult to grown market share without a more diverse product portfolio.

and those nations still buy MPVs where as the US doesn't, you cannot view the Cadre of CUVs you listed as replacements but as addition to the existing lineup. the Same should be said for any EU products sold in the US.

You know, I agree, Ford needs to sell every single car it makes globally in the US, there has to be a customer for everything right?

imho the EcoSport & B-Max need to be combined

'course I also think it should be a 2020 Mercury "microSport"

...EcoSport...'s clearly not designed for the US market ... Ford needs to get this one right and I'm a little surprised to see they have two vehicles of similar size and form factor but neither of them resemble global products that can be sold in the US. This indicates to me that Ford isn't interested in the segment for the US and wont' be for quite a few more years.

exactly
with a major (double) rethink

...could use another people mover with no minivan and the S-Max could be a good fit. ...an S-Max could fit the bill for those who want something bigger than C-Max and more stylish, car like than TC van...

S-Max with a somewhat extended cargo area for the U.S. = 2020 Mercury "metaSport"
bliss.gif

You know, I agree, Ford needs to sell every single car it makes globally in the US, there has to be a customer for everything right?

For has to add more product to grow market share, why not start with the products you already make.

the market is only sedans and CUVs. there is room for more than that, you'd see that if you weren't only thinking of what you look for in car, and opened your mind to the fact that everyone else doesn't have the same tastes as you do.

If B-Max did not have sliders I think it would be a better Fit competitor than the Fiesta. I do not believe cost would be the issue with the B-Max, but rather the sliders. It would not get past the mini-van stigma, which is unfortunate.

I think we place too much value on stereotypes. like if it looks like a family car people won't buy it.

The B-max is 1/2 the size a Minivan, if sliders were such a decider of sells success of failure why does the flex sell in such limited numbers?

I cede to Borg's point about the Ecosport, it may not need that spare tire on the door and looks better without it,but Ford should not go to the ends of the earth trying to put the spare in the floor-pan.

You can only go so far by competing on only mass market segments, the Fusion is nice and all, but the segment is as a whole is shrinking, shrinking Segments pushes prices down, growing segments like the compact CUV, Fragment, creating sub segments, like the Sub Compact CUV, which had 1 entrant 5 years ago (soul) 3 entrants today, and 5-6 In North America by 2014. there is is fragmentation in the sub compact CUV class with the Street smart Soul and Juke, and the more truck like, Buick encore.

within the Sub compact CUV segment you have space for both the Trucky Eco-sport and the street smart B-max. both using shared interior and structural componentry, increasing the Economies of Scale for the Fiesta.

To me it is a no brainer.

Edited by Biker16
  • Like 1