Ford ratings in Consumer Reports, below average reliability

So what's the cause of that buzz? My 2008 escape has that and its horrible! Its only got 48k but yet it sounds worse than my 150k bronco at times lol

If I push on the top of the door panel, by the lock, it stops. It seems like it will be a simple fix. It is very faint, and only I notice it. However, I listen closely for noises in my vehicles, and they can be easier to hear in the Explorer because it is so vault quiet.

As for MFT..................... 9000 miles. 1 scheduled update that lasted 5 minutes. That's it. We have had no phone pairing issues, but then, we do not have an Iphone. Droid and Blackberry here.

I have no doubts that folks have problems with some vehicles out there. It is going to happen. Especially when you put out so much new product in a small timeframe. However, from what I have noticed, pretty much everyone has some troublesome children when they launch new vehicles. Oh, and I fill out my CR survey just as honestly as others say they do. After all, I have nothing to hide, and have had no issues with my vehicle, so it is easy.

Truly sorry to hear you have had so much difficulty with your Escape. I can relate as it sounds so much like what my wife and I went through with our 2011 MKT. Worst vehicle and dealership experience we have ever endured.

Our 2013 Escape Titanium 4WD has been phenomenal. Great vehicle and a pleasure to own. Couple of glitches with the navigation but the latest updates seemed to have fixed them. Even the voice control can be toyed with on occasion without total frustration. What dealer support we have needed has been great even providing rental cars when serviced. FAR superior to what we received from the so called premium Lincoln dealer.

It does not put any money in the pockets of the subscribers to lie about their experience. What do you suggest as a good statistical sample? I dont like CR anymore than the next guy but its getting a little old to blame them for all of Fords problems.

Where did I say they were to blame for Ford's problems? I don't think most people intentionally lie about their experiences but it's human nature to downplay problems on a vehicle you like just as it's human nature to bitch endlessly and loudly about a vehicle you don't like (or company). Let's say a person has their car in for service and the service manager sees a problem that needs to be fixed and fixes it during the service. One person may report that as a problem and another may not. Some people will overlook a small problem while others make a mountain out of a molehill. And subconsciously you know that some people want their brand to do well so they might lean towards not reporting certain things.

What would be statistically more accurate? A more random sample including non-CR subscribers.

CR will never rate a a Ford with MFT as OK. I think it is just too geeky for a family car. I have personally loved MFT in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid, with no problems until the week I traded for a 2013 Fusion Hybrid ( it got even by frying an MP3 memory stick)! I use all functions on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid MFT: no problems, but too soon to judge long-term. I am old, but a nerdy geek, so MFT seems natural to me.

It does not put any money in the pockets of the subscribers to lie about their experience. What do you suggest as a good statistical sample? I dont like CR anymore than the next guy but its getting a little old to blame them for all of Fords problems.

meh, THIS is why I dimiss CR as a farce, fundamentally it flawed due to a reflection of social media....theres a 99 % MORE likely hood someone with an issue or complaint will report than someone 100 % happy...bitching has become more and more prevelent, "unhappy" people LOVE the fact they think they "have a voice" as such......

I think you and I are around the same height. If I can find space in a Corolla (for a seven-hour ride, mind you), you can find space in an MKS.

Also, about waiting for a rental from your luxury car dealership in the suburbs?

hqdefault.jpg

I'm 6"3", with a 36" inseam. I can fit in most cars comfortable, even a Fiesta (headroom is better than a Focus). But the MKS is the most baffling design I have run into yet. It's like an SUV foot-well has been married to a conventional sedan. Therefore NOTHING lines up right. I can't get close enough to the wheel because the footwell is to short, and the wheel can't come close enough to me. I can't raise the seat up high enough to absorb my legs because my head hits the ceiling, and reclining back takes me further away from the dashboard. I mean something is wrong when I can fit more comfortably in an MKZ than an MKS.

meh, THIS is why I dimiss CR as a farce, fundamentally it flawed due to a reflection of social media....theres a 99 % MORE likely hood someone with an issue or complaint will report than someone 100 % happy...bitching has become more and more prevelent, "unhappy" people LOVE the fact they think they "have a voice" as such......

Well, social media is a wonderful thing imo. No longer can Ford or anybody else for that matter get away with building another Pinto or Vega. When you screw up people are going to hear about it. CR and social media helps keep them in check. It might only be the transmission or the lousy gas mileage but you are going to hear about it. I dont think people sit in their basements wondering how they can damage a brand just for the fun of it. These are people who pay big money for a car and expect them to work as advertised and properly.

Dean, think back to the 99 Cobra fiasco. If it were not for social media Ford would have pulled a big one off scott free. Fortunately, they didnt get away with it.

They need to mercifully put the MKSucksreallybad out to pasture and then not use the name or balleen on the eventual replacement. This seems to me to be one of the most ill-conceived products in FoMoCo history. Keeping it alive continues to sully the image of the brand.

I think you're confusing MKS with Town Car. And the old Panther has been mercifully laid to rest. "most ill-conceived products in FoMoCo history"???? Wow. It's not like it has been an outright failure on any level anyway. It was consistently in the 1500-2000 unit a month range for the first few years it was out, which is relatively strong for a fullsize luxury sedan. It has simply suffered from lack of meaningful updates and a somewhat half-assed refresh. With MKZ being so markedly improved, there's very little reason for buyers to step "up" to the MKS currently. Hopefully, that will change soon, but there's absolutely no reason to kill the name (although I wish they would kill all the "MK-mess" names still anyway, but you can't hold the MKS out separately for being tarnished in some sort of way, because it really is not).

Well, social media is a wonderful thing imo. No longer can Ford or anybody else for that matter get away with building another Pinto or Vega. When you screw up people are going to hear about it. CR and social media helps keep them in check. It might only be the transmission or the lousy gas mileage but you are going to hear about it. I dont think people sit in their basements wondering how they can damage a brand just for the fun of it. These are people who pay big money for a car and expect them to work as advertised and properly.

Dean, think back to the 99 Cobra fiasco. If it were not for social media Ford would have pulled a big one off scott free. Fortunately, they didnt get away with it.

What social media was really that much in use in '99 that it played a part? Seriously, I've been in tech for 15 years, and the web was still in its infancy in 99.

What social media was really that much in use in '99 that it played a part? Seriously, I've been in tech for 15 years, and the web was still in its infancy in 99.

IRC chat rooms and other forums were already around in '99. I'm pretty sure BON was already around then. ;)

Edited by NickF1011

Case in Point? The 2012-2013 Kia Rio and Rio5 Hatchback and its corporate Sibling the Hyundai Accent. Completely new Vehicles launched in the late Summer/Fall of 2011 with a brand new 1.6 ltr 4 cyl engine with (timing-gear) No Belt and GDI and a new 6 speed Automatic Transmission. Got EPA Fuel Numbers of 32 City and 40 Highway and later admitted they were a (we bit) inflated. Like 23 City and 32 Highway! Lots of complimentary Visa/MasterCards to sooth the wrath of irate Buyers though!

IRC chat rooms and other forums were already around in '99. I'm pretty sure BON was already around then. ;)

Sure, they were around (I think I joined my first forum back in '96 or so when I was in college), but they definitely weren't as prevalent as they are today, and didn't play much of a part in "social media" at all.

Edited by fordmantpw

CR will never rate a a Ford with MFT as OK. I think it is just too geeky for a family car. I have personally loved MFT in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid, with no problems until the week I traded for a 2013 Fusion Hybrid ( it got even by frying an MP3 memory stick)! I use all functions on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid MFT: no problems, but too soon to judge long-term. I am old, but a nerdy geek, so MFT seems natural to me.

The 2010 Fusion had the Clarion based system, before Ford came out with MFT. I agree the older system I had zero problems with also.

Just don't get your hopes up too quick about MFT, you will be wishing you had the old Clarion system back, I sure did. They are sill using that system in the Mustang (soon to go to MFT unfortunately).

no sure i agree, IMO its a blackboard, along with chalk for for nothing but bleating whiners...VERY RARELY in regards to any survey, do you EVER see any positive comments from anyone but blind loyalists.....I get surveys on my fiestas all the time, theres not even a checkbox for completely satisfied, or positive comments...NOTHING....but there sure is a bunch of questions pertaining to problems experienced.....

Sure, they were around (I think I joined my first forum back in '96 or so when I was in college), but they definitely weren't as prevalent as they are today, and didn't play much of a part in "social media" at all.

They most certainly played a pivotal role in bringing owners of '99 Cobras together and making them aware of those particular issues though. As an owner of a then only two-year-old Cobra, I was quite interested in seeing how it unfolded. Forums and chat rooms were the only places I was able to glean any information from at the time. It certainly wasn't covered in any real depth by the print media at the time, at least not in any real-time useful manner.

Edited by NickF1011

The 2010 Fusion had the Clarion based system, before Ford came out with MFT. I agree the older system I had zero problems with also.

Just don't get your hopes up too quick about MFT, you will be wishing you had the old Clarion system back, I sure did. They are sill using that system in the Mustang (soon to go to MFT unfortunately).

Agree, the Clarion supplied system was smooth, with top-rated NAV. I do miss the ability to burn MP3 DVD's, but will reserve judgement on the MFT. I think the new MFT may have more potential to be modified by software, so (hopefully) bugs may be worked out. Considering all the neg press Ford is getting, it is in their interest to make it happen.

Agree, the Clarion supplied system was smooth, with top-rated NAV. I do miss the ability to burn MP3 DVD's, but will reserve judgement on the MFT. I think the new MFT may have more potential to be modified by software, so (hopefully) bugs may be worked out. Considering all the neg press Ford is getting, it is in their interest to make it happen.

I have the Clarion system in my wife's Edge and MFT in my daughter's Focus and my Fusion. I'll take MFT every day of the week.

They most certainly played a pivotal role in bringing owners of '99 Cobras together and making them aware of those particular issues though. As an owner of a then only two-year-old Cobra, I was quite interested in seeing how it unfolded. Forums and chat rooms were the only places I was able to glean any information from at the time. It certainly wasn't covered in any real depth by the print media at the time, at least not in any real-time useful manner.

alas...THOSE were the good old days....today, chat rooms and the like are predominantly sounding boards for negativity....theres still a few good-uns, ( here for instance ) but even then they are constantly under attack from potential infiltrators with cancerous overtones.....lol....and when no-one listens or they are ignored/ called out, all hell breaks loose.....along with snipes on alternative outlets.....

I have the Clarion system in my wife's Edge and MFT in my daughter's Focus and my Fusion. I'll take MFT every day of the week.

Well, after the 'Stang loses the Clarion, there will be no choice. As I said earlier, I am totally comfortable with the transition to MFT, use almost all features. Still will wait on judgement re: reliability, upgradability, etc. Still miss DVD burns!

Edited by nebelkopf

Well I stand corrected then.

Well, after the 'Stang loses the Clarion, there will be no choice. As I said earlier, I am totally comfortable with the transition to MFT, use almost all features. Still will wait on judgement re: reliability, upgradability, etc. Still miss DVD burns!

MFT just needs refinement, and SIMPLIFICATION....seems the designers got carried away with gimmicks, macros and subscreens, the Clarion system in comparison was simpler and thus veiwed as more "user friendly"......sometimes I think the publics thirst for "gadgets" is counter intuitive...an opinion mimicked by CR's criticism...CR has a somewhat flawed propensity to applaud simplicity while ignoring what CONSUMERS are demanding....