Ram tops Consumer Reports pickup truck rankings.

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect whatsoever on F-150 sales.

It might move Dodge, err, "Ram" from a distant third to a not-quite-as-distant third, but I doubt it'll have any impact on the F-Series sales. If having a three-year-old design that's slated for replacement won't lower F-Series sales, I don't see what this will do.

It might move Dodge, err, "Ram" from a distant third to a not-quite-as-distant third, but I doubt it'll have any impact on the F-Series sales. If having a three-year-old design that's slated for replacement won't lower F-Series sales, I don't see what this will do.

They've been closing the gap pretty rapidly lately.

At the expense of GM, maybe, but Ford is outselling them by more than two-to-one this year (367,486 (F-Series) vs. 170,319 (Ram)), and the F-Series is up 22% over this time last year.

Isn't Ram's increase this year (by %) higher than F150?

EDIT: Meh, it's close. Ram up 22.9%, F up 22.0%. Silverado is actually leading the pack at +24.7%. Odd...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/07/june-2013-top-15-pickup-truck-sales.html

Edited by fordmantpw

So. CU picks the vehicle that has the most limited capabilities in a segment which exists to do things that conventional vehicles are incapable of doing.

Makes sense.

Ram getting 15 mpg in their own testing is not class leading. The 2013 F-150 also got 15 mpg in their testing. They don't even know what their own testing says.

But the F-150 has MyFord Touch now. It can't win!!

Ram getting 15 mpg in their own testing is not class leading. The 2013 F-150 also got 15 mpg in their testing. They don't even know what their own testing says.

It's CU. It says what they say it says, and if you don't like it, you can kiss their feet and thank them for not taking your advertising, while they try to drum up relevance by relentlessly publicizing their test results.

Edited by RichardJensen

Its CR. Why anyone would be surprised that they would pick the most carlike truck is beyond me.

Frankly, CR would really like trucks if they had no bed, towed nothing, and sat as low as cars. Then they would be perfect. LOL

you just described a certain Subaru....and I would lay money on the fact CR loved it.........

exactly HOW has it raised the bar?....

Mainly the ride...Chrysler is smart to tune a ride for what the vast majority of people use their truck for...hauling people. Plus, interior refinement, styling ( I know subjective), interior electronics (uConnect is by far the best system out there, mainly because it works), but then fuel economy (which is only a trophy you get temporarily, then you get leap frogged), 8-speed trans (which did wonders for the 3.6 in the Grand Cherokee), etc.

Sure it may not have the capability of a 3/4 ton...but that's ok, because it's not a 3/4 ton.

Its CR. Why anyone would be surprised that they would pick the most carlike truck is beyond me.

Frankly, CR would really like trucks if they had no bed, towed nothing, and sat as low as cars. Then they would be perfect. LOL

you just described a certain Subaru....and I would lay money on the fact CR loved it.........

Incidentally, where did the derived-from-Pilot-derived-from-Odyssey-derived-from-Accord Ridgeline place?

However, let's not loose site of the fact that I do believe Ram is now outselling Super Duty in class 3, 4 and 5. Hopefully as 6.7 owners accumulate miles, the "ghost of 6.0/6.4" will fade.

No doubt the Cummins 6.7 has a good rep.

The Ford 6.7 has been out for 2.5 years now...that ghost should be fading soon. For the most part, it's been a trouble-free, reliable, extremely powerful engine returning excellent fuel economy numbers.

Chrysler is smart to tune a ride for what the vast majority of people use their truck for...hauling people.

Maybe it's smart for them to acknowledge their place in the pecking order, but I can guarantee you that if Ford compromised the F150 the way Dodge compromised the Ram, they would've paid for it.

Maybe it's smart for them to acknowledge their place in the pecking order, but I can guarantee you that if Ford compromised the F150 the way Dodge compromised the Ram, they would've paid for it.

Maybe. But then again, I don't think the ride in any of the big 3 full size trucks is ever really a complaint these days, so there wasn't a need for Ford to take the risk. Dodge needs to take risks like that as they are the underdog (for some reason). Now, we may see a situation where before the 2013 Ram, ride wasn't an "issue" so to speak with 1/2 tons, but now, since it's so good, it may magically become one. But there is more to a truck than just ride. A long warranty is nice too.

I will disagree with your statement saying that the Ram 1500 is compromised. There is a reason Dodge makes a 2500 and a 3500. Ford wants the 1/2 ton to be all things to all people and that has its benefits and its consequences, but does make for riveting press releases and commercials. I think Dodge is smart in recognizing how the modern 1/2 ton is used and tailoring the truck that way. The F-150 only has a 850 pound edge in towing and the vast majority of F-150s are in the 2K range for payload. Anything more and you will need a special payload package.

It will be interesting to see what direction Ford takes the next F-150. At some point, the ceiling will be reached for capability of a 1/2 ton.

• Like 1

Ford has had a harsher ride than Chevy for as long as I can remember, and their market share hasn't suffered for it. Nor has Dodge gained much vs. Ford, by focusing on that.

And payload is where the Ram really, really, really biffs it. The max payload on a Ram 1500 differs from the payload of a Ford Explorer by this:

107_opt.jpg

Plus this:

29679213-260x260-0-0_Domino+5lb+Bag+of+S

Barely a handful of F150 configurations outside of the Raptor have payload ratings *lower* than the Ram's max.

Surveys by Consumer Reports are seen as influential in shaping consumer perceptions.

There it is folks, proof that ego drives every word written by CR...

CR, the people who tell you what's wrong with the vehicle you like and why you're a fool for not picking the vehicle we like....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The Ford 6.7 has been out for 2.5 years now...that ghost should be fading soon. For the most part, it's been a trouble-free, reliable, extremely powerful engine returning excellent fuel economy numbers.

Agree-I have a friend who has 5 550's in his operation, no issues. I was talking to a contractor the other day who has a 250 with 60,000, no issues-and good fuel economy and unbelievable power-pulls skid steers, mini excavators etc.

But my point is it takes a while to get the sour taste out of someone's mouth if they did have a 6.0/6.4 issue. "Power stroke??? POS- I had one blah blah" Plus given the complexity of the 6.7 PS, I think the relative simplicity of a Cummins sitting in the engine bay of a vehicle adds to the attraction of a Dodge-vs a PS or a Duramax for that matter.

Time will tell..