Lincoln unveils "Black Label" collection at Pebble Beach

Yes the use of the term "chick car" is derogatory and antiquated, but after viewing the video posted on page 1 and looking at the pages on the Lincoln web site, it does seem they are marketing this package to women. The female models on the web page are posed in a dominate position, facing the camera, leaning forward, with the male models in a secondary role. The use of butterflies, chocolate and red silk gowns are meant to attract the female buyer, not men. My question is how large is this demographic and how many woman make the purchase decisions when buying a car. When purchasing a SUV/CUV family mover perhaps, but a luxury, I'm not sure. Yes, yes I know, there are plenty of well off, single and married women who buy cars, but is this the car they're looking at? I think the trend for female buyers in this price range is for smaller luxury class vehicles. I suppose if they aren't building multiples of these cars for the showroom and keeping yards of specialty leather, headliners and exotic wood in inventory, and the order to delivery time is extended so these materials can be ordered, delivered and the car built, Lincoln has nothing to loose and everything to gain when the final bill is tallied.

Lincoln has one genuinely successful model right now, plus a CUV that is consistent. The rest move poorly, and there is no shortage of information regarding Lincoln's perception issues. Dismissing them as you have while much of the line languishes-and the same perception issues continue gathering ink and bandwidth-suggests strongly that you aren't as interested in facts as you are in steering negativity away from Ford/Lincoln.

You act as if they're done - that's it, the lineup is set, they'll never make another change again....this Black Label package is it to round out the lineup. The model upgrades are coming....the new MKX is on its way, the MKC is on its way, a new MKS is on its way, a new Navigator is on its way. You cant upgrade/replace the entire lineup with the snap of your finger.

The Black Label package is an easy way for them to bring some more individuality and uniqueness to the brand's products, and gives the customer a wider option variety. Programs like this and the concierge service (of which I saw a tv ad about recently actually - yes, an ad highlighting Lincoln's concierge services) show the effort they're putting into reviving the brand.

Now, all that said, Lincoln and its team do have something to prove, but give them a chance to fully replace the lineup instead of writing the brand off based on ONE model and thinking they're done.

• Like 1

My question is how large is this demographic and how many woman make the purchase decisions when buying a car.

80%?

http://blog.polk.com/blog/blog-posts-by-tina-fogoros/heels-and-wheels-puts-women-in-the-drivers-seat

Of course that's hardly broken down by class, but in the demographic Lincoln is likely to obtain (as opposed to the one they're targeting), this 'feels' right. I'm thinking late 40s established entrepreneur-types.... Of the various people I know who would be in a position to buy a new Lincoln, I would say that the wife in those households has a pretty significant influence over the vehicle purchased.

Edited by RichardJensen

80%?

Of course that's hardly broken down by class, but in the demographic Lincoln is likely to obtain (as opposed to the one they're targeting), this 'feels' right. I'm thinking late 40s established entrepreneur-types.... Of the various people I know who would be in a position to buy a new Lincoln, I would say that the wife in those households has a pretty significant influence over the vehicle purchased.

There isn't a context for those percentages, 100% of women who go alone to purchase a car make the final decision. Despite this nudge marketing, I still wonder how many women would choose a Lincoln sedan as their final choice. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, personally I like the MKZ and the Black Label package (except that hideous red headliner), it makes them distinctive. I just don't think the MKZ is traditionally a car women would consider and it's going to take more than some primal cravings, fashion and emotional cues to draw them in for a first look and final decision.

The Packers are known by the fans of 31 teams as getting more ref bias than anyone else in the league. The NFL has admitted that in a single game, 9 bad calls went against the Vikings/for the Packers.

Given how bad the Packer o-line has looked so far, Rodgers may not make it to week 17.

First, it was only a joke.

But...THAT'S what you're going with? The "the referees are in the bag for the Packers (even though everyone could see--including Ray Charles, who is dead--believes the replacement officials made an egregious error costing the Packers a win) so they can beat the Vikings" whine fest?

And how the hell can you say how bad the O-line has looked so far? You're basing this on a glorified practice that's really just fun for fans and the first pre-season game? Come on, now. You're better than that, aren't you? I agree, Rodgers gets sacked a lot. Far too much. And yes, I agree, it's likely the O-line will not be good enough this year. But let's put a hold on the conclusion jumping.

YOUR team, btw, has far greater, broader problems than the Packers do....namely this is the NFL and your team does not have a competitive QB.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 1

There isn't a context for those percentages, 100% of women who go alone to purchase a car make the final decision. Despite this nudge marketing, I still wonder how many women would choose a Lincoln sedan as their final choice. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, personally I like the MKZ and the Black Label package (except that hideous red headliner), it makes them distinctive. I just don't think the MKZ is traditionally a car women would consider and it's going to take more than some primal cravings, fashion and emotional cues to draw them in for a first look and final decision.

There's a bit more context than that. The 80% figure is based on a survey of 'purchase factors', which is an extremely nebulous concept ('style' is a purchase factor, 'price', etc.--and trying to rank them, let alone assign numeric values to them is going to generate some pretty marginal data).

It is, however, a stat that requires a more or less conventional household in order to make sense. It's not an evaluation of the purchasing habits of single men or single women, it's an evaluation of the purchasing habits of male/female households.

And if the number '80%' is somewhat arbitrary, I don't think it overstates the influences women have over joint household vehicle purchases. In most of the households I know, the wife/girlfriend has the ability to veto a purchase.

Edited by RichardJensen

Yay, repeating myself for the 20th time...

1. I don't assume Lincoln is done, and in the very post you quoted...I say RIGHT NOW. I'm talking about their current status, and about the approaches that led to it.
2. I've heard talk about Ford getting more serious about Lincoln since the late 80's. If I'm annoyed that it sounds familiar, it's because I am and it does.
3. I'm very well aware that this will take steps and time.
4. That said, many of the issues that draw Lincoln's constant criticisms will remain valid until Lincoln truly addresses them with production vehicles.
5. My response to the Black Label thing is easy to understand if you look at the original thread on the matter, when the trademark application got noticed. Many of us hoped for something more technically involved.

And, I'll say yet again, I genuinely look forward to the days when I won't have these (legit) beefs with the company and its approach. Keep in mind, though, that I'm old enough to have watched (and could have legally driven) Lincolns that were warmed-over Crown Vics, LTDs, Fairmonts, 3 generations of Taurii, T-Birds, and Fusions...all with corporate babble promising more differentiation and more serious luxury offerings in the "near future".

I hope for a day, hopefully coming very soon, that Fords benefit from technology that is initially only worthy of Lincolns...as opposed to the practice of the last decade or so. In the meantime, there's plenty of right and wrong in Ford/Lincoln and I've talked about both for many years here. The dumbass overreactions over the past year are what's gotten odd.

You act as if they're done - that's it, the lineup is set, they'll never make another change again....this Black Label package is it to round out the lineup. The model upgrades are coming....the new MKX is on its way, the MKC is on its way, a new MKS is on its way, a new Navigator is on its way. You cant upgrade/replace the entire lineup with the snap of your finger.
The Black Label package is an easy way for them to bring some more individuality and uniqueness to the brand's products, and gives the customer a wider option variety. Programs like this and the concierge service (of which I saw a tv ad about recently actually - yes, an ad highlighting Lincoln's concierge services) show the effort they're putting into reviving the brand.
Now, all that said, Lincoln and its team do have something to prove, but give them a chance to fully replace the lineup instead of writing the brand off based on ONE model and thinking they're done.
Edited by ZanatWork
  • Like 1

Hearing Farley discuss that, wow, this really is today's answer to the Cartier/Givenchy/Bill Blass/That-Other-Guy-Nobody-Remembers-But-His-Was-The-Least-Bad Lincoln.

5128334820_412ba0c1bc_z.jpg

Also, how awesome is it that the -clock- on this Lincoln got equal billing with the speedometer? I mean, that's just cool. The two most important things you need to know: "What time is it?" and "How fast am I going?"

Plus, with that smog-crippled wheezy V-8, a clock is *far* more valuable than a tachometer (because it would take you a full day of acceleration to redline it), or a fuel gauge (because, the answer to the question "Do I need fuel?" is always "Yes.")

Emilio Pucci is not amused by your shananigans sir. He wouldn't be if he weren't already dead

• Like 1

It's early days for the marketing effort for the Lincoln brand, but the MKZ makes a great opening statement, IMHO. This is a great start in refining what the brand can offer. And who knows, with the new transmissions coming soon, maybe we will see some higher-power Lincolns.

Now, for more product. It just seems like the MKC is taking forever. :)

• Like 1

Male / female household here. I am the main decision maker on our vehicular purchases. I let the hubby know what vehicles I think are fabulous, we discuss them, look at them, etc. I then narrow down the choices and we pick which one we want.

The MKZ was one of the last men standing when we decided to lease the Explorer Sport. It got disqualified because it would not be available when we needed our new vehicle. I think the Black Label treatment is wonderful. We will see where we are when it is time to replace the Sport. There should be a nice choice of new Lincolns available at that time, so I am sure this will come into play.

Do note that the MKZ stayed in the running, even being a sedan. We are not big car people, but I felt it was compelling enough to give it a chance. Now, I know some here would label me an idiot for even considering the car..................... however, it is my money, not yours.

Oh, I am finding all of these new directions that Lincoln is taking to be fabulous. The concierge commercials are very good, and this is a service we would use if we decide to go that route the next time. I love the idea of individualization on the cars. Exclusivity is part of the luxury experience, and I think many buyers will find these choices compelling. And yes, even women like me. I know, the horror, right??

Male / female household here. I am the main decision maker on our vehicular purchases. I let the hubby know what vehicles I think are fabulous, we discuss them, look at them, etc. I then narrow down the choices and we pick which one we want.

My grandma always said...happy wife, happy life!

Too bad gramps never caught onto that lol.

Who says you can't see it or touch it? They'll still have showroom examples and they might stock some, but the point is that the client can customize it to their taste and you can't do that with showroom stock vehicles.

I don't understand the hoopla - this is something the other luxury makers have already been doing successfully for years.

I think this will be a non event. I do not see stores ordering these trim levels and talking to customers about them. Maybe there will be a 5% take rate and Lincoln will sell 200-300 month nationally. I do not know that the incremental revenue will justify the increased order complexity and the potential for higher days on the lot. How many Lincoln stores are currently selling more than 20 a month?

I guess the key factor will be the price tag and how much better the packages look.

I think this will be a non event. I do not see stores ordering these trim levels and talking to customers about them. Maybe there will be a 5% take rate and Lincoln will sell 200-300 month nationally. I do not know that the incremental revenue will justify the increased order complexity and the potential for higher days on the lot. How many Lincoln stores are currently selling more than 20 a month? I guess the key factor will be the price tag and how much better the packages look.

It comes under the heading of offering something different, people customizing their car..

I was surprised and delighted to see that the latest MKZ attracted a lot more high series buyers,

maybe that's what's behind this, Lincoln exploring buyer's desires to make their vehicles more exclusive?

Edited by jpd80

Anyone notice the 6 Black Label colors are on the presentation boards next to each MKZ on display in the Autoblog pictures? So it's basically black, red, white, off-white (or maybe it's silver), brown, and a really bright blue. Bright blue only on Indulgence.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lincoln-mkz-black-label-monterey/med/#photo-577082/

Edited by jesster1228

I think this will be a non event. I do not see stores ordering these trim levels and talking to customers about them. Maybe there will be a 5% take rate and Lincoln will sell 200-300 month nationally. I do not know that the incremental revenue will justify the increased order complexity and the potential for higher days on the lot. How many Lincoln stores are currently selling more than 20 a month?

I guess the key factor will be the price tag and how much better the packages look.

I think ford would be thrilled with a 5% take rate on such a package. My guess is they'll provide full samples of each treatment. It's just another way for Lincoln to better itself and distance itself from Ford and to better compete with other luxury brands.

I think this will be a non event. I do not see stores ordering these trim levels and talking to customers about them. Maybe there will be a 5% take rate and Lincoln will sell 200-300 month nationally. I do not know that the incremental revenue will justify the increased order complexity and the potential for higher days on the lot. How many Lincoln stores are currently selling more than 20 a month? I guess the key factor will be the price tag and how much better the packages look.

People forget that, prior to the early 1980s, plenty of buyers ordered their new car by browsing through books that featured that year's color selections, upholstery choices (complete with swatches of fabric/leather) and options. (You can buy these old books at various swap meets, including the Carlisle events.)

Dealers couldn't possibly stock all of the available color/upholstery/option combinations. The dealer would give the buyer a break for buying a vehicle that was currently in stock, but people who ordered one were generally prepared to pay a higher final price.

• Like 3

80%?

http://blog.polk.com/blog/blog-posts-by-tina-fogoros/heels-and-wheels-puts-women-in-the-drivers-seat

From what I've seen, those households are usually wealthy enough to allow the husband to have a "toy" vehicle (if he is interested in that sort of thing). The main vehicle (meaning, the one that ferries the children about, if there are any) is usually picked by the wife.

Anyone notice the 6 Black Label colors are on the presentation boards next to each MKZ on display in the Autoblog pictures? So it's basically black, red, white, off-white (or maybe it's silver), brown, and a really bright blue. Bright blue only on Indulgence.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lincoln-mkz-black-label-monterey/med/#photo-577082/

^nope...MAJOR THUMBUP & TY, jesster!!

wonder if there's better quality anywhere?

7ykg.jpg

lxwb.jpg

pcw4.jpg